References and Echoes in 3.0 to Other Things

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:
For bonus points: the cross-shaped station is a prison.

I therefore propose a new theory:

Shinji was hold reponsible for 3I. He was sentenced with 14 Years imprisonment only after 14 Years it was allowed to Open eva-01 again.
Once again we see that law and order stand above superficial ideals like Intrumentaliy.

TB3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I've seen lots of people comparing the Wunder to Nadia's incarnation of the Nautilus, but due to an unfamiliarity with that show, I'm instead noticing similarities to Space Battleship Yamato, particularly how Asuka has to manually shove in the ship's ignition engine using Eva-02, akin to the ramming mechanism that controlled the Yamato's Wave Motion Cannon.
Does the bus run through here!?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:19 pm

View Original PostTB3 wrote:I've seen lots of people comparing the Wunder to Nadia's incarnation of the Nautilus, but due to an unfamiliarity with that show, I'm instead noticing similarities to Space Battleship Yamato, particularly how Asuka has to manually shove in the ship's ignition engine using Eva-02, akin to the ramming mechanism that controlled the Yamato's Wave Motion Cannon.

Anno is a Yamato fan. Both the nautilus (especially the new nautilus/revamped spaceship/ "Exerion") and the Wunder probably had the same source of inspiration.

And here I thought battle ships were the only thing from Nadia that wouldn't get recicled in EVA XD

I mean, the protagonist basically IS Kensuke if he was the protagonist of something, the green haired operator may be a distant ancestor of Aoba's... Heck, with Koji, we now even have a clone of the elderly black engine dude. (Can't recall his name.)

There's even an occassion where everyone on the battleship gets an expository hairstyle change, and lots of futuristic skintight suits! And "Adam"...

And a mayor character who, despite his significance, only shows up at the very end and pulls a heroic sacrifice.

Nemo is basically Prototype!Gendo anyway, and then there's Electra. Rei and Ritsuko are probably what you get if you split her down the middle, she even had the same hairstyle as Ritsy later in the show.
The situation is sorta similar to the one with Shinji and Rei, the guy adopted a girl and treated her as his daughter, then his actual daughter schowed up and he didn't even tell her they were related and sorta gave her the cold shoulder, it's all complicated, but since he's out to avenge his kingdom and got kinda icy because of that, you might also compare Nemo to Q!Misato. She definitely got the "face hidden between hair, collar and hat" look, all she needs is a moustache... or maybe not.
Sanson is totally Kaji, (in the way he acts as a manly teacher to the male lead) and Grandis, while initially an antagonists, gets rather Misato-like later in the show.

There's even a freakin "Bardiel incident" when Nemo shoots some soldier that was about to make swiss cheese of Nadia and she promptly no longer wants anything to do with him.

Nadia herself well, to put it simply, Shinji got the daddy issues, stubborness and face design, Mari got the affinity with animals and the distrust of adults/I-work-alone-mentality, Rei got the whole apocalypse maiden alien aspect and the vegetarism, and Asuka got... about anything else, including her abnrasive treatment of her unfortunate boyfriend XD
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TB3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for that Kendrix - I'm honestly not that familiar with either Nadia or Yamato, just picked up bits along the way.

It's a bit like how I only learned today that the date of 2I (13/Sep/1999) is both a GAINAX in-joke and a reference to Gerry Anderson's Space 1999.

Returning to topic, could Eva-13's four arms most likely be;

A: A parallel to higher orders of Angels in Christian arcana, with additional wings the higher up the ladder one goes?
B: A reference to Hindu religious iconography
C: 'Because it looked cool'
Does the bus run through here!?

shinhito
Adam

2001: a Space Odyssey Reference

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 am

I'd just like to point out the 2001: a Space Odyssey reference that I caught (2001 is possibly my favorite movie of all time).

When Shinji recieves his "food", it's incredibly similar to the food the crew of the Discovery One eat.

Here is an image from 2001 showing their meals.

I'm sure food like this is a common Sci-fi trope, but I think 2001 did it first. Plus there's the other obvious monolith nod with Seele, and especially since the Seele monoliths in NME seem to be some sort of "core" fused autonomous living beings that have guided civilization in some fashion, that's an even bigger nod to 2001 because that's very similar to how they function in the books and movie.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 am

Sooo, does that hint that in the end, Shinji will be transformed into a foetus floating in space with the destiny to later become an higher being? :lol:

Oh man if that's what will actually happens that will be awkward... -o-;
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 06, 2013 5:30 am

We had the extruded food in a tray in episode 6 of the original series. The SEELE monoliths were in the series too.

And it was Yui who ended up the nascent higher form of life floating in space.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon May 06, 2013 6:19 am

Let's not forget that Ramiel's first acting role was in 2001 as well. :lol:

It's been a while since I've seen Kubrick's film, but Fuyutski shutting down the SEELE tablets reminds me of how Dave shut down HAL as well.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Allusion(s) to Dante's Inferno in Q

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

As I was watching the scene in which Eva-13 and Mark.09 go down the main shaft towards Lilith, I was struck by one line in particular:

01:05:38 {Kaworu} Don't let them weigh upon your mind.

It made me think of Dante's Inferno. In the third Canto, right before entering Hell proper, Dante and Virgil "see the Uncommitted, souls of people who in life did nothing, neither for good nor evil". At the end of his explanation, Virgil utters the famous verse, "non ragionam di lor, ma guarda e passa," which roughly translated means "don't mind them; just observe and pass them by". The Github translation actually approximates this meaning much more than UTW.

After that, the entire situation struck me as very similar to the Inferno. Kaworu acts as Virgil to Shinji's Dante as they descend towards the epicenter of Third Impact, which could aptly be described as a "Hell" of sorts. The part where Eva-13 shatters Lilith's barrier could be thought of as a loose parallel to Canto VIII, in which the doors of the city of Dis are opened to Dante and Virgil by an angel from Heaven. The city is also said to be guarded by fallen angels, which could refer to either the 12th Angel or Kaworu as the 13th Angel, or both.

Jeez, the more I read the Wikipedia article on the Inferno to refresh my memory, the more connections and parallels I see. What do you guys think of this find? Could it be of any significance? Are there any other parallels you can think of?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 am

Very cool, but don't we have a thread for this kind of stuff already?
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13432/SPOILERS-References-and-Echoes-in-30-to-Other-Things/

:tongue:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 am

Huh. So there is. And it was on the front page, too.... :facepalm: I guess the admins are free to splice this in there if they deem it appropriate.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Allusion(s) to Dante's Inferno in Q

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Could it be of any significance? Are there any other parallels you can think of?

Well the base in 2.22's beginning had layers named after parts of the Ninth Circle, such as Cocytus IIRC.

If I remember right, there were also figures in Hell that hadn't technically died yet, but their souls had gone to Hell while their bodies remained on Earth, possessed by demons or something. Perhaps Yui is a spin on this, with her "soul" trapped in Eva-01, which is inside the Wunder, while her "body" (AKA Rei Q, and the Ayanami series in general) goes around doing stuff?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Well the base in 2.22's beginning had layers named after parts of the Ninth Circle, such as Cocytus IIRC.
They named bits of the GeoFront from Dante in the original as well.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:25 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:They named bits of the GeoFront from Dante in the original as well.

Yeah, they called the different levels of Terminal Dogma the "Malebolge" in the original, and there was also Acheron in 2.0. This instance in Q is the strongest thematic link to Dante I've seen, though.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The Github translation actually approximates this meaning much more than UTW.

Just got lucky, I guess! The Japanese is 君は気にしなくていい。, which is basically, "You shouldn't worry about them", but, since this is Kaworu talking, I added some flourish.

I'd be interesting to see what the Japanese translation of Inferno had for that line. I'm not volunteering to look, mind... :3
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 am

Just read the wiki-entry for dante 01.

One of the guys in the film has a tattoo of St. George - Eva 05 was modeled after him and his flag is the red cross.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(Oh, gawd, that video you linked to... Must locate the appropriate thread for gushing about it!)

Don't have the Nadia soundtracks handy, so I don't know what the original piece was called in this instance... but, damn! That reworking is really something else! I'm gonna get me a copy of the 3.0 soundtrack for Xmas...

EDIT: Here is a clip of the original scene. Given the context with which the song is used in 3.0, it seems like a pretty deliberate callback.

I heard 3 songs from nadia for now
I Can forget some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91sZ8Jsu_II
The universal Battleship Nautilus
SPOILER: Show
( the new one ! the new hope for nemo and the crew )

Also this song have two remixed in 3.33 ost

And this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkOEkUrAnQ
Original name : light of babel in nadia
(kinda the bad guy destructing cities in Nadia after got the ultimate power )

For the battle in space with Asuka.

I hope this post is in the right thread :D
Sorry if old

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am

View Original Postairman4 wrote:I heard 3 songs from nadia for now

That's not the only reference to Nadia in 3.33.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 pm

View Original PostRamiel² wrote:I therefore propose a new theory:

Shinji was hold reponsible for 3I. He was sentenced with 14 Years imprisonment only after 14 Years it was allowed to Open eva-01 again.
Once again we see that law and order stand above superficial ideals like Intrumentaliy.

14 years seems a bit light for killing...actually, can anyone tell me how much of humanity is left? I remember from NGE that there were 3 billion killed by 2I, so I'm guessing that was carried over into NME.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That's not the only reference to Nadia in 3.33.

Now I got this feeling that in 4.0, Wunder is going down, Misato decides to put Shinji in Unit 01, only to be surprised by Ritsuko pulling a gun and shooting her.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”