NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm

@symbv: Oh! I think I may have figured that line out.

レイ「ここは、S²機関の中、巡り巡る力の生まれるところ。
かつて、あなただったものが他のものと交差するところ。
ほら、これがあなただったもの。
全ての生命は、ここへ過ぎてはやって来る…
使徒と呼ばれたものも、全てここに。あなたと共に…。」

They seem to be saying that all souls have been gathered into an S2 Engine. Accordingly to info elsewhere in the game, these things generate perpetual "helical energy" in some way never explained. I think 全ての生命は、ここへ過ぎてはやって来る… is saying that the souls are essentially "spinning around" in the S2 Engine, continually 'passing through' and then 'coming back' to do it again.

Well, that satisfies me, at least.

My translation would be
"The place where the force that goes round and round is born."

I know that "round and round" is what it literally means, but it sounds kind of funny in English, unless you're speaking in verse.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote: I think 全ての生命は、ここへ過ぎてはやって来る… is saying that the souls are essentially "spinning around" in the S2 Engine, continually 'passing through' and then 'coming back' to do it again.

I am not sure it is really "spinning around". I interpret it as lives pass through the place, go somewhere else, and when they are done then they come back to the place. "Spinning around" sounds like they stay inside the place all along.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I know that "round and round" is what it literally means, but it sounds kind of funny in English, unless you're speaking in verse.

I would leave it to you to figure out how best to make it sound more native as you are native speaker :wink: . My interpretation is that the "force" or "power" (whatever it is) is running through everywhere, so it is "going round and round".
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:05 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:My interpretation is that the "force" or "power" (whatever it is) is running through everywhere, so it is "going round and round".
How about "circulates forever"? Not as punchy as going for the Anglo-Saxon of spin.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:29 am

Made my first set of subtitles ever, for the the "make Kaworu want to live" video. It is not a particularly enjoyable experience... (At least, not with Subtitle Workshop.) Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0nY2NYpZg
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Made my first set of subtitles ever, for the the "make Kaworu want to live" video. It is not a particularly enjoyable experience... (At least, not with Subtitle Workshop.) Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0nY2NYpZg

Are you sure? All I see is the normal video with in-game Japanese text.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Are you sure? All I see is the normal video with in-game Japanese text.

You may need to turn on Closed Captioning.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If you can take a look at the rest of the Kaworu stuff when you have opportunity, I'd be most appreciative!

Kaworu:
7:14 That’s true.
7:16 But even so, I must go. [That sounds weird…]
7:20 To death, or so that I can keep living.
カヲル「そうだね。ただ、僕は行けなきゃいけないんだ。
死に、そして生き続けるために。」

- My translation:
That's right. It's just that I must go.
To death, and also in order to survive.

Kaworu:
8:23 As I told you [??], I’m one of the children who is part of the design.
カヲル「言っただろ、僕が仕組まれた子供ということを。」

- That's fine...
My translation would be "I already told you."

Kaworu:
8:37 Why is that?
8:39 So, why not try to stop me?
カヲル「なぜ?じゃあなぜ僕を止めようとするの?」

- Not correct here. It's the other way round:
Why? Then why do you try to stop me?

Shinji:
8:53 Yeah, that’s right. It’s okay if I die!
[Why is he responding with 「ああ、そうだよ。」? It sounds rather weird to me.]
Kaworu:
8:57 I don’t believe that.
8:59 Surely you are afraid of dying.
シンジ「君を、傷つけたくないからだよ。」
カヲル「君が傷ついても?」
シンジ「ああ、そうだよ。僕は死んだっていい!」
カヲル「嘘だね。君は、死ぬのが怖いはずだ。」

- My take is that Kaworu reminded Shinji the thought in his mind that if he just died then all problems solved, including the possibility that he may end up hurting others.

Kaworu:
9:16 If that’s the case, then perhaps it can be avoided. [??]
9:19 Fighting you doesn’t feel right to me, either, but…
カヲル「だったら、しょうがないんじゃないかな。
僕も、君と戦うのはいい気分じゃないけれど…。」

- My translation. It is the other way round:
If that's the case, then perhaps it can't be helped.
I also don't feel good fighting you though...

Kaworu:
9:25 There is something within people that makes them feel that they need others. [??]
9:32 That is the only reason. [??]
9:35 However, as far as those things are concerned, all people are breathtakingly pure. [??]
9:43 To the point of desolation.
カヲル「ヒトが…、互いを必要と思うのは
ヒトの中にある何かのためなんだ。
ただそれだけのためなんだ。
…でも、その何かに対して、ヒトはみな、息を呑むほどに純粋だ。
とても、哀しいほどに…。」

- My translation
That Humans...think they need each other
is due to some certain thing inside humans.
It is only just for that.
...However, regarding that certain thing, humans all are pure to breathtaking degree.
To a very sad degree....

Shinji:
9:48 Does that mean we are going to fight after all…?
[How are they going to fight now that Kaworu is helpless in Eva-01’s fist? :3]

- Perhaps Shinji means "fight" as "staying as hostile party to each other"? Or perhaps Shinji is not yet sure if Kaworu is really helpless?

Shinji:
I don’t understand.
Things like you becoming an Angel, even though you have a will of your own. [??]
シンジ「わからないよ。君の意志じゃないのに使徒になったなんて。」

- My translation:
I don't understand. Despite not being your own will you became an Angel.

Kaworu:
But my being an Angel is a matter of fact. And so is my friendship with you.
I am left with no recourse but to go against the flow. [Is this right?]
カヲル「でも、僕が使徒なのは事実さ。君の友達という事も。
どうする事も出来ないんだ、流れには逆らえない。」

- not correct. It's the opposite.
There is nothing that I can do about. I cannot go against the flow.

Shinji:
You and I will start over. We’ll live differently. Both of us.
Let’s start things over together, Kaworu-kun…
シンジ「僕とやり直せるよ。違う生き方があるよ、僕も、君も。
一緒にやり直そうよ、カヲル君…。」

- 違う生き方があるよ、僕も、君も。 I would translate it as "There are different ways of living, for me, for you." Just translation preference.

Kaworu:
……….
I want to see the future, too.
I want to see your future, Shinji-kun. With all of you, with people…
カヲル「………。
僕も未来が見たい。
君達、人と…、シンジ君の未来を見てみたいと思う。

- I would translate it differently
I want to see the future too.
I want to have a look at the future of all of you, the humans, and...you Shinji-kun.

Shinji-kun, I’m going to live, too. Live and fight, by your side... *
[*Rearranged a bit, but hopefully gets the point across.]
シンジ君…、僕も君と生きよう。僕も一緒に戦うよ…。」

- Guess it is fine....
My literal translation:
Shinji-kun....Let's live on, you and I. I will also fight with you...

Main (?) Battle Damage Report
本戦闘の被害報告

- I guess that's about right.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:47 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You may need to turn on Closed Captioning.

Ah. See, now I feel silly. :redface:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Phew, that's a lot of fixing I have to do! Thanks, symbv. (I'm kind of amused by how often I came up with the opposite meaning...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'd really like to see a translation of Gendo's end from NGE2, as it might tie up a lot of loose ends (I don't think Reichu's gotten to that one yet, though I could be wrong).

To tide you over, here:

In the Bad End, Rei says she's being called, Gendo's all "Wait!" and worries about Lilith/Harpies causing 3I. Rei says what she does when merging with Lilith in Gendo/Misato's ends. Kaworu babbles with Seele about how Lilin are returning to Lilin but then something to the contrary. When Gendo says Yui, he says stuff about how he wanted to see her for so long and they have the exchange about how Gendo was scared of Shinji, Gendo agrees he was (Slightly difference dialogue from EoE). Then it's tiny red dot tiem.

(Very rough transcript here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=357900#357900 )

In the Good End, Gendo says how "I can't even remember how long I've waited to see you again" or something to that effect. He thanks Yui for everything. I believe I translated this somewhere on the forums (or maybe Atomic Punk's youtube page), though Rei's "dark place" babbling in the Misato/Gendo ends should be around somewhere on the forums I believe.

(I thought I posted a very rough transcript of Gendo's good end somewhere, but now I can't find it. Huh.)

Source of my comments/ Reichu's uploaded video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYE6EmWd8Q
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Hmmm. I don't speak Japanese, but it looks like Gendo's good end is both less than illuminating and...kinda sad, actually. Reinforces the fact that underneath it all he really is just a sad little man.

Thank you for the links!

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 am

I don't remember if there's a better fitting topic, anyway someone from /cm/ translated the scene which happens during the battle against Leliel in Kaworu's route:
http://17th-angel.tumblr.com/post/49734219969/muffintopbreaks-this-is-from-the-nge2-kaworu
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am

Whoa! This feels like a huge find. For one, it indicates that Kaworu's human body was designed, which might put to rest the theory that he is effectively a clone of the mysterious "donor" from the contact experiment that started 2I. It also gives glimpses into his psychology and his seeming compulsion to destroy the Lilin (which is what I see hinted at by his "shadow").
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:For one, it indicates that Kaworu's human body was designed

A lot of the wording is a bit... odd, though. We probably want to see the original Japanese before leaping to conclusions.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:A lot of the wording is a bit... odd, though. We probably want to see the original Japanese before leaping to conclusions.

It's possible that it's been translated from Chinese to English, the linked video is subtitled in Chinese.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am

From what I can tell (and from what I remember of the PSP Leliel-Kaworu battle) the translation seems accurate, just Engrishy. Is the Leliel-Kaworu battle on Youtube? Dunno if I'd have time to translate anything, but it'd be helpful if it was uploaded. Much easier than referring back and forth to my PSP.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Is the Leliel-Kaworu battle on Youtube?

Like I mentioned before there's a video subbed in Chinese linked in the tumblr post:
http://www.bilibili.tv/video/av468538/
Also on nicovideo there's a video featuring all the main events of Kaworu's route.
EDIT:
if you don't have a niconico account you can watch it from here.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Mon May 04, 2015 3:13 pm

I hate bumping an old thread. But do we have a translation of the Gendo good ending? Could be some revealing information. We could know his intentions for 3I, and by extension, maybe some of Yui's intentions for 3I.

(Episode 24)
Gendo:
The time that has been given to us runs short.
But the Lance of Longinus that stood in the way of our desire is no more.
Soon, the final Angel will appear.
If we destroy it, our wish will come true.

I'm hoping his good ending has some of the more technical aspects of his plans for 3I.

Reichu's upload: https://youtu.be/BSYE6EmWd8Q?t=5m12s

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 04, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm 90% sure myself or Reichu translated it somewhere here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1393/GAME-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-2-Another-Cases/

but that might have been the PS2 Gendo "3 Shinjis" ending (which is definitely in there somewhere).

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 am

Thank you so much, I will post it here if I find it. And thank you for all your contributions btw, it's a great source of information :)

EDIT: Here is Gendo's Bad Ending translation ^_^

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Translated/gave a rough idea of what's being said on your youtube page. Hope it helps! :wink:

Here's some more extensive stuff, the meat of what Yui and Gendo say in Bad End. (Yes, Gendo's dialogue is thankfully different from what he says in his Good End).

Gendo: Yui. Our reserved meeting... I've only been waiting and waiting for the day we'd meet again.

Yui: You were scared of other people hurting you, weren't you? You thought to (つわれ, trying to look for the verb form つわる isn't helping) yourself.

Gendo: There is nothing I should do, even for Shinji... I only hurt him.

Yui, standing with the 3 versions of Shinji (boy, child, pilot): Shinji wished for you. He was hurt by you, always...

Gendo: ...I see.

*TANGED!*
Last edited by cody727kirby on Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”