[MANGA] [NGE] Manga's couple: Rei and Shinji?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Manga Ending speculation goes

here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

or

here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651

Strato - Haxorz wrote:the fact that they are so similar in terms of personality and maybe it's my romantic side but I think they would be great together as they both take time to explore themselves.

I'd agree with that.

why the creators explored the idea of a possible Asuka and Shinji relationship

Read this: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3758
Comment probably in this thread : http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267 or any better one it might reference.

Apathetic Piggy wrote:an Asuka fan who was against the concept of SxA

You talking about me? :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 pm

there was the quoted text from a while back giving evidence to a relationship with Kaworu being better grounded than simple fanwanking),

Yes, that is true. I think in the beginning of 76 Shinji thought, "I was attracted to him[Kaworu]. Even though I shouldn't like a guy like that."

I was wondering if someone could explain what Shinji meant when he said, in the company of Rei, that, "the rift between Ayanami and me has shrunk, I hope it shrinks furthur." Recently, I'm starting to think it means something else.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:11 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:an Asuka fan who was against the concept of SxA

You talking about me? :lol:

Entirely. First draft of the post had you written as an example, but I took the name out for good measure.

And yes, I do read over my post once I complete it. Helps keep the focus of the idea intact.
EDIT:

The Goose wrote:I was wondering if someone could explain what Shinji meant when he said, in the company of Rei, that, "the rift between Ayanami and me has shrunk, I hope it shrinks furthur." Recently, I'm starting to think it means something else.

It could mean either that he's glad that she's opening up to him, and wants to keep their established friendship as well as work towards getting to know the other better or that he does have romantic feelings for her and wants to get closer to her now that he's sure she at least likes him enough to consider him worthy of speaking to and befriending, if she's at all familar with the concept.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:38 am

It could mean either that he's glad that she's opening up to him, and wants to keep their established friendship as well as work towards getting to know the other better or that he does have romantic feelings for her and wants to get closer to her now that he's sure she at least likes him enough to consider him worthy of speaking to and befriending, if she's at all familar with the concept.

Thank you.

Strato - Haxorz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strato - Haxorz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:00 pm

I was just wondering...Ive nenever really known..but..Does Rei III love Shinji just like ReiII? Its weird..cos I can somewhat see it...like in EoE where she says "Ikari is calling out to me" but...in the manga...how in the latsest chapter she walks away from Shinji with Gendo completely ignoring him..
I dont know..its always bugged me..so Does she...or does she not?

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:04 am

Since the third Rei has the same soul has the second Rei, she must have the same feelings as well. The reason she doesn't do anything with Shinji is because she can't really remember that she does love Shinji. Though in Stage 68, she thinks that, "Why am I still alive, Why I am I here, For Who," so I guess the third Rei still has some memories from the second Rei. Don't take my word for it though. If anyone can make sure I'm right, I'll be your best friend, for life.

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

I have always wanted Shinji to end up with Rei in a real Evangelion production and not just in FanFiction. It just seemed like in the beginning of the television series everything indicated that Shinji and Rei would be together. Then, everything changed. It was like Anno was afraid of the backlash from the "incestual" implications of their relationship, and changed his mind so that Shinji would be with Asuka.
They may forget you if you succeed but who wants to be remembered as a failure

-Me

Darknemo2000
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darknemo2000 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Well Shinji/Asuka is much more complex relationship than Rei/Shinji in a sense, so you can't really say that it was only for that he was afraid of Rei/Shinji, but maybe Asuka and Shginji's characters build up an interesting relationship in itself which was more worth to follow than Rei/Shinji.

But again I do not believe that anime wanted to show an Rei/Shinji in a romantic light.

Sadamoto's manga though Shinji states that its not like that and that Rei is as if a distant part of him, shows us Rei/Shinji in a romantic light, but its because Sadamoto is a Rei-fanboy and he can't help himself.

Well now he is faorced to go with Rei anyway, since going with Asuka (considering that her relationship or actually lack of it is very distant with Shinji, and doesn't have much meaning to him) would be suicidal.

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm

I guess that is probably true. I was never really sure why two of the major creators of Evangelion would put such different spins on the story, considering they are supposed to be relatively the same story line in the Manga and the TV series.

-Me

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:46 pm

In my opinion, it was never really hinted that Rei/Shinji would ever become final in the anime either. Sure, they were becoming friends, and Shinji was concerned for her, but you can have relationships where you care about each other but still be friends.

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:15 pm

No offense but what does that say for Asuka ans Shinji. They really didn't have anything. He did the same things he did with Rei just a lot less. The only difference is that they spent more time together due to there living arrangements. Let's just do some speculating. What if Rei was the one that had ended up living with Misato and Shinji?

-Me

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Well, there's plenty of evidence at least that Asuka has feelings for Shinji. "You won't hold me! You won't even look at me!" comes to mind.

And about Rei replacing Asuka: The answer is nothing. Rei would have sat in her corner, except during the dance practice. There may have been some incidents like Episode 5, but that's it. Whereas with Asuka, she actually had an open personality, thus allowing interaction beyond staring at each other. Rei and Shinji's relationship just doesn't work for romance, in my opinion. (Then again, Asuka's too much of a bitch to live with too...:P)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Ja Ayanami wrote:No offense but what does that say for Asuka ans Shinji. They really didn't have anything. He did the same things he did with Rei just a lot less.

They did kiss, and at the end Shinji said he wanted to be with Asuka forever.

The only difference is that they spent more time together due to there living arrangements. Let's just do some speculating. What if Rei was the one that had ended up living with Misato and Shinji?

It would have been a lot less hectic.

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 pm

They did kiss, and at the end Shinji said he wanted to be with Asuka forever.

I can't really count their kiss. Yes maybe on some level Asuka wanted to do it but I don't really think that acting the way she does towards Shinji constituted love. Yes he is a wimp and doesn't make a first move but I can gaurantee people will make Asuka's behavior out to be some result of her psychological trauma as a child. Well if you are going to give her that crutch you have to do the same for Shinji. You can't expect him to be able to act out his feelings like that when all Asuka ever does it hurt him.

-Me

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 am

Well, you can say the same and say that Shinji's behavior towards Rei didn't constitute love either. But Shinji never tried to kiss Rei.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:01 am

There are several hints in the anime, that Shinji likes Asuka and vice versa. --episode 09 night before the battle, the kiss, DC scenes of #22, EoE--
And i honestly don't think that Rei/Shinji were meant to have a romantic relationship in the series.

However, the manga version is another story. If there were to be a pilots couple, that'd be Rei/Shinji. Their relationship has been built up since the beginning in a different light from the TV series, they have the potential.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Darknemo2000
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darknemo2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 am

Aagain, Shinji might feel love towards Rei, it is just not a romantic love at all. Thats why he does not try to kiss her.

Sure he is attracted to Rei's body, but so he is to Misato's (as we can see during those 'Become one with meĄ" scenes) yet its not so intense as his attraction to Asuka.

Remember how Shinji's realationship was described with each of the three?

Misato - family.
Rei - mother.
Asuka - girl (sex).

In Shinji's mind only Asuka is treated as a "girl" and as an object of his sexual desire while his relationship stand on different level.

In a sense Asuka is more distant than Misato or Rei to Shinji, but romantically, thats what makes her the closest to being a "lover".

It doenst mean that Asuka or Shinji are in love with each other (I would call their relationship more like need/hate rather than love/hate), yet if nwe were to follow the cannon Asuka comes as the closest to being a romantic interest of Shinji. (though again, NGE was never meant to be a romance based anime).

Does Asuka feels the same way for Shinji - there are evidence that she does to some level - like allready mentioned lines "You won't even hold me" or "If I can't have all of you, I don't need you", just like those short flashes that we have during mind rape where she is shown after the kiss scene (depressed expression on her face, rather than disgust as she loudly announced that time) or her rather pathetic figure right after she closed the door after announcing "The wall of jericho" to Shinji, and so on.

Yeah, I think that Asuka is responsive to that. Its not love, but as far as NGE goes - its disturbingly close to it, this need taht they feel for each other. Thats why the last scene is named "I need you" rather than by any different name

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:29 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:Misato - family.
Rei - mother.
Asuka - girl (sex).

Wait a minute. I can't believe that for a second. Let's make assumptions about the Shinji/Rei relationship based on the whole Mother thing. I don't think that Shinji thought of Rei as his mother. Yes maybe he finally made the connection after the Room of Gauf incident but even still that doesn't mean he thought of her as his mother. If he had he wouldnt' have avoided her afterwards. Let's face it Shinji was obsessed with his mom. He would have gone through hell and back to be with her.

As to all the comments of Shinji never trying to kiss Rei. Let's just look at his attempts with Asuka.
1) She walks in and flops down in front of him and goes to sleep. (a better chance to steal a kiss couldn't have been written down in fiction, oh wait it was in fiction)
2) She asks him to kiss her. Let's not forget, he initially refuses. It isnt' until she plays the mommy card that he breaks down and does it.

-Me

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Rei mother thing probably comes from this:
ep15 wrote:Shinji:
When we were cleaning today, you were wringing out the cloth, remember?
The way you did it was like a mother.

Rei:
A mother?

Shinji:
I thought it was like a mother.

ep16 wrote:Shinji (MONO):
Mother?

YUI:
Are you ready?
Well, that's good for you.

(while trapped in the Eva, then right after he got out and woke up)

Shinji:
But I'm fine now.

Rei:
Well, that's good for you.

Asuka kiss scene:
ep15 wrote:Asuka:
Hey, Shinji, do you want to kiss?

Shinji:
What?

Asuka:
A kiss. A kiss? You've never kissed, right?
Then, let's do it.

Shinji:
Why?

Asuka:
Because I'm bored.

Shinji:
Because you're bored?! But...

Asuka:
You don't want to kiss a girl on the anniversary of your mom's death?
Afraid she may be watching you from Heaven?

Shinji:
Not really.

Asuka:
Or are you scared?

Shinji:
I'm not scared of a little kiss!

Shinji doesn't refuse, he says "What?" because he was listening to his SDAT and didn't hear her. Asuka says "You've never kissed, right?" and Shinji nods his head, then she says "Let's do it", and a blushing Shinji asks why, a prudent question, since it was completely out of the blue. He does get coaxed into doing it but he never refuses.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:10 pm

Dark Nemo wrote:Misato - family.
Rei - mother.
Asuka - girl (sex).

SAUCE is this:
[url]http://evaotaku.com/html/dr2-children.html[/url] wrote:Ayanami Rei -- Bandages. Mysteries. Indifference. An object of interest. Mother.
Soryu Asuka Langley -- Girl. Perplexing. Formidable. Indecipherable. Sex.
Katsuragi Misato -- Adult. Superior. Meddlesome. Soldier. Family.
Ikari Gendo -- Harsh. Commander. Hatred. Anger. Father. Father. Father....
~Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (Special Edition) Theatrical Program Book

Also, what Ornette and Seventh-chan said. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”