[MANGA] [NGE] Manga's couple: Rei and Shinji?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:1 big honkin' robot and a bunch big honkin' human clones wearing robot armor.

Ehhh, you're getting closer, but not quiiite yet....

Victorthebattousai should have written this instead of what he wrote:1 big honkin' robot and a bunch of big honkin' Angel clones with the souls of humans, wearing what appears to be armor but is in fact there for the purpose of suppressing their power and binding them to human control
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I'd say Asuka AND Misato fans gets screwed! :(

imo, Rei/Shinji take up all the space of the Manga. The main issue I have with a R/S pairing is mainly Rei having Yui's DNA. The fact Rei is Lilith ISN'T that big of a deal, since Mankind IS the Last Angel (18th) and all. Plus, I personally never saw Rei as liking Shinji "like that", or vice-versa. They seem to care for eachother because due to the whole Yui connection... *shrugs*
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'd say Asuka AND Misato fans gets screwed! :(

Big time my friend, big time!

Sailor Star Dust wrote:imo, Rei/Shinji take up all the space of the Manga. The main issue I have with a R/S pairing is mainly Rei having Yui's DNA. The fact Rei is Lilith ISN'T that big of a deal, since Mankind IS the Last Angel (18th) and all. Plus, I personally never saw Rei as liking Shinji "like that", or vice-versa. They seem to care for eachother because due to the whole Yui connection... *shrugs*

Yeah, one can agree that they are the main couple. Have to wait--long time-- to see how this will end-up.

And just to make it clear, i never said that Sadamoto being a Rei-fanboy is wrong, i was just replying to Victorthebattousai's quote "So what if he's a Rei fanboy?"--Asuka fans getting nothing(no offense intended)

Another problem is that he screwed the potentially "good" scenes between A/S, like the kiss for example?

Anyway, we still have stages left, let's hope. Or better pray SSD, since you share the same opinion with me for A/S and Asuka right? :wink:
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:50 pm

Hehehe. Yup. :D

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Come to think of it, Sadamoto left out the scene in which Asuka kisses Shinji, but added in his own of Kaworu kissing Shinji. What does that tell you? :o

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:It's not that complex of a story. It's just jumbled, that's all.

Sure it's complex. Have you taken a look at any of our discussions? I mean, yeah, a lot of it is fanwanking and overanalysis, but you'd be surprised about how relavent it all is. The story presents plenty of depth. There are many layers to it, and i'm not even talking about the "interpretive freedom" it presents. Compared to a lot of stories I see today, I don't really see how one would consider Eva shallow in comparison without generalizing the entire story. Then again, I guess that depends on your definition of "deep".

Victorthebattousai wrote:There isn't a whole lot of logic to any story that has huge honkin robots and aliens giving birth to humanity. At least not normal logic.

Welcome to fiction!

Victorthebattousai wrote:But, you have to remember, to me, Eva's story was just plain dull. Eva's good qualities come from the characters, not it's wacked-out storyline, at least for me, anyway.

I disagree that the story sucked, but yes, the characters made Eva for me, as well. Personal opinion, Trigger supposes
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Eva's story being plain dull? I think it is a lot more complex than you give it credit for. Eva does have a decent story, of rather jumbled, but, as Trigger said, the Characters are the real hooks, and you almost to see what happens to them (Me: I watched so I could see how badly they got emotiaclly messed up. Let us face the facts: Only Shinji really comes out the whole story as a better person. He DID make the hard choice, and reject instrumetality, even though everybody got tanged, and the world is surely royally fucked(sic) over, now.)

ETA: Vic, I do applaud you for the different opinion on the story, even if I do disagree with it. Least you havent acted stupid about your opinion... yet. Just dont cross that line
Last edited by Executor on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:They seem to care for eachother because due to the whole Yui connection... *shrugs*

That's pretty much how I saw it. Because further down the story she would be "concerned" per se. And EoE could be the perfect example.

Although you can't deny that there might have been some love between there on Lilith's behalf. :wink:
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:25 am

I've never understood how one can like the characters but not the story, since the characters are defined by the story. Without the story, the main character would simply be some boy who's name is Shinji Ikari and looks like Nadia. Through the story, this main character is given a personality and depth. I can understand if you don't like the show's premise or certain story elements, but if the entire story sucked, I wouldn't have watched more than 2 or 3 episodes.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:58 pm

The truth is, if someone who had never seen the show insisted you explain the entire premise, there's no way you could keep it from sounding EXTREMELY insane.

EXPLAINER: "Well, a meteor crashed into the earth in 2000 in an event known as Second Impact, and now in 2015 these huge, strange creatures called Angels start attacking again (as apparently they were there in 2000), and robots called Evangelions were developed to fight them. One of the leads of the NERV (the developers of the Evangelions), Gendo Ikari, called his son Shinji, whom he had previously disowned, to pilot one of the Evas. At first, he didn't want to pilot it, but then he saw how the previous pilot, a blue-haired girl named Rei Ayanami who looks bizarrely like his mother, had been terribly injured in combat and he didn't want to force that upon her again. He defeats the Angel and moves in with Misato Katsuragi, the woman who took him to NERV, who also has a genetically manipulated warm-water penguin who lives in her freezer and drinks beer. Then there's something about toothpicks, but I'm not quite sure what. So Shinji transfers schools, and this guy named Toji hates him because he squished his sister, but then they get to be friends during the next phallic Angel fight. Also, he makes a friend named Kensuke. Toji and Kensuke think Misato is hot. Then, Shinji accidentally walks in on Rei naked and accidentally gropes her. Next, Rei and Shinji fight a big octahedron Angel with a big laser. Rei doesn't know how to react, so Shinji tells her to smile and she smiles. Also, a red-haired Amerigerm girl named Asuka Langley Soryu moves in with Shinji and Misato and she yells at Shinji and stuff, but she really loves Kaji, a man who apparently works for NERV, but doesn't really, and who had a past relationship with Misato. Kaji also gave the first Angel (Adam, who was also the first human) to Gendo. Also, there's another Angel who's also Adam crucified on a huge red cross down in NERV's basement. I forgot to mention, by the way, that it wasn't really a meteor that caused Second Impact; it was actually an Angel. So Rei, Shinji and Asuka fight some more angels in the Evangelions, which aren't really robots but giant Angel clones with the souls of their dead mothers inside them, and then Shinji's Evangelion goes crazy, breaks free of her bindings, eats an Angel, assimilates Shinji, and then takes a nap. They get Shinji back, though. Kaji and Misato get back together, but Kaji gets shot by someone, I'm not sure who. That makes Asuka sad. She gets really depressed and runs away, while Rei dies in an Angel battle, but then she's okay, because they had several backup Reis. You know, because she's a physical copy of Shinji's mother. So a new pilot named Kaworu Nagisa arrives to replace Asuka, who is currently being held in a medicinally-induced coma so that she doesn't try anything funny. But it turns out he's an Angel and Shinji has to kill him. Kaworu also points out that the Adam on the cross isn't Adam at all, but Lilith. Rei has Lilith's soul, so she can fly now. Now Shinji gets all emo and suicidal and stuff. He tries to get Asuka to help him, but she's in a coma. I forget what happens next. So then Seele, who had been monitoring NERV and funding them and stuff, decides to kill everyone and start Third Impact. They get a bunch of Mass Produced Evangelions to eat Asuka and her Evangelion, then they turn Shinji's Evangelion into the Tree of Life. The Human Instrumentality Project starts, and everyone's mind merges together and Shinji has sex with everyone. Then Shinji decides to end Third Impact and the world is all gone and only he and Asuka are left. He decides to strangle Asuka, but then he stops."

LISTENER: "Wow, that sounds like quite a show. What's it called?"

EXPLAINER: "THE ARISTOCRATS!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:01 pm

:lol: If only you would have worked the actual joke in there, not that it wasn't funny as is. :wink: I think the South Park version of the joke's good, and no I haven't seen the movie.

The truth is, if someone who had never seen the show insisted you explain the entire premise, there's no way you could keep it from sounding EXTREMELY insane.

One night during dinner with my folks I babbled a little about Instrumentality and how it's rejected because reality's better and my dad took one look at me with a look that said, "What the fuck are you talking about?" Image

My point? You are correct, sir!

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:One night during dinner with my folks I babbled a little about Instrumentality and how it's rejected because reality's better and my dad took one look at me with a look that said, "What the fuck are you talking about?" Image

My point? You are correct, sir!

You know, I tried that on my parents and their like wtf?
But we actually got into a conversation!
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Victorthebattousai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:15 pm

Discussions about anime or games fall on deaf ears with my dad.

Anyway, EVANGELION'S STORY STINKS! EVA STINKS! Is that what you meant about "crossing the line"? :D

Anyway, I think the best ending, really, would be Rei being really close to Shinji, but the pairing is Asuka and Shinji. I think that would make the most sense. I like all three of the main chars, Rei is my fave only by a bit.
I hate not having my Siggy.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Anyway, EVANGELION'S STORY STINKS! EVA STINKS! Is that what you meant about "crossing the line"? :D

No, crossing the line would be comparing Evangelion to Star Wars.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Victorthebattousai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Come on, Star Wars isn't THAT bad lol.
I hate not having my Siggy.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:39 pm

Yeah come on man, quit trying to bring Star Wars down to Eva's level.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:06 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Yeah come on man, quit trying to bring Star Wars down to Eva's level.

Everybody shut the fuck up and stop comparing EVA to Star Wars. Both arent comparable at all, except that both are Science-Fiction. (And, even as a Warsie I admit this, but George Lucas should never write romantic diolouge, ever. Oh, and Episode III's opening scene is one of the best battles in recent memory. It's better than Serenity's space battles.)

Sorry if I came down on you hard, but that is something comparing Star Wars to Anime, unless I'm messing around on SpaceBattles, is something that should not happen by anymeans.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 pm

I never said which one was being "dragged down". :P

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:12 pm

NAveryW wrote:I never said which one was being "dragged down". :P

Yeah, I know what you meant. It still bothers the hell out of me though.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:19 am

TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”