Evangelion Mark.06: The Eva that deserved better.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ohno2100
Embryo

Evangelion Mark.06: The Eva that deserved better.

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Yo, so I've been lurking around the forums checking out what everyone's been discussing, checking any old topics I wasn't around for, stuff like that. I've had this account since June of last year, but I either never really had anything to say or didn't have enough courage to post anything (I know it might sound kinda silly, but I was worried that I wouldn't really present myself well and could accidentally offend some people in here, so I held off from speaking), or life just got in the way of me actually saying anything here. But I figured that I should say something now because it came to my mind rather recently and I wanted to know what you guys had to say about it. Anyways, now that I got the introduction out of the way, time to get to the main topic.

Evangelion Mark.06. The "probably one of the Four Adams but it's still up for debate until 3.0+1.0 comes out if ever" that was teased alongside Mr. Space Christ Kaworu Nagisa at the end of 1.0, and was being built for most of Evangelion 2.0 for it to show up in the after credits to stop Shinji and his Evil Robo-Mom of Doom from fucking up everything because his Father is an evil piece of shit who can't let go of the past to save his life. Going into 3.0 basically knowing nothing about the movie, I was super hyped to see Mark.06 get to do something. I mean, they were setting it up for 2 whole movies! They had to do something with it, and besides, you don't just impale Yui and get away with it. Oh no no no, Gendo ain't gonna let that slide! You gotta get a proper ass-whooping for that. I was wondering what it was gonna do, judging by the preview at the end of 2.0 (Oh past me, you poor naive fool... :facepalm: ), it was going to descend to Terminal Dogma, but for what? Was it going to fuse with Lilith and cause the proper Third Impact? Was there an Angel that was going to get to Lilith and Kaworu was sent there in order to prevent it? Did Unit 01 reawaken and was causing some fucking havoc down there for whatever reason (It's Yui, we don't know what's going on inside her head) and we were finally gonna get to see the Eva vs Eva match-up we've all (I think) been waiting for? That wasn't the only thing I was thinking of course, there was the thought of how we were gonna see all the characters react to how the kid they entrusted a death machine with ended up accidentally causing the near death of all of humanity, and of course how Asuka was gonna react to losing one of her eyes and possibly her humanity all together (good job, Shin-Man :asuka_stare: ), but I won't lie when I say that Mark.06 was one of the main things hyping me up.

So uh, needless to say, you can probably imagine that the movie we got had me feeling just a little bit disappointed. (Although judging by what we say of Dogma in 3.0 and the FOI looking like headless Unit 01 clones, maybe all three of those things happened all at ONCE? ...Wow, no wonder the Lilin are so bitter around Impact-Boy :lol: )

Excluding the fact that I'm still left pretty confused after watching it a second time and reading through some of the speculation online, including this forum (not that it wasn't worth it, I find a lot of the stuff that's been said here to be pretty fascinating all things considered), but seeing Mark.06's corpse floating around (did the 12th Angel eat it or something? Gross.) only to be decapitated by Evangelion Unit 00 2.0 Electric Boogaloo-I mean Evangelion Mark.09, REALLY left me scratching my head and wondering what the point of setting the thing up to be a big part of the Rebuild movies even was. Not only that, but it's role of being Unit 01's counterpart (it's evil twin you could say, it certainly looks the part) was pretty much taken over by Eva Unit 01 2.22 You Can (Not) Be Built Up, Unit 13, which is basically NGE Unit 01 with an extra set of eyes and arms and high heels. Don't get me wrong, I've warmed up to it over time, but compared to Mark.06 or even the Evangelion it was clearly made to look like, it looks rather...uninspired, honestly. Mark.06 not only has a more unique color scheme, but it's armor is more unique as well. Now, there's a very good argument to be made that Mark.09 is equally if not more uninspired considering it's literally just Unit 00 with some incredibly minor alterations, but I personally think the all-black form it takes near the climax of 3.0 makes up for it. (I also just realized that it has the same colors as Rei Q's plugsuit, Black Red and even Green... wow, these movies man.) Again, not to say that I hate Unit 13, but that's just how I feel about in comparison to Mark.06. It's not even piloted by Kaworu anymore considering he ditched it for, again, Unit 13. Judging by some old storyboards and I believe something said in 3.0, as well as speculation by Reichu (who's stuff I've been reading as well, also rather interesting) it was given to some bizarre combination of a Rei clone and autopilot??? Strange. And it doesn't look like it's gonna get to fight Unit 01 either, considering that roles being filled by, you guessed it, Unit 13.

See a trend here?

I know it may be starting to sound repetitive, but once again I wanna say that I don't hate Unit 13, I really don't. It's a fictional giant robot, what Am I supposed to do? Punch it? Yell at it? Yeah that'll do something alright, yelling at a stupid action figure. So no, I don't hate it.

...However, it really feels like they gave Mark.06's role to Unit 13 and basically had to write Mark.06 off (aka, kill it), and THAT? That I hate.

I'm not a writer at all (I'm 17, if anything I'm gonna write Fanfiction. :mari_ahaha: ) so maybe I don't understand, but killing things that you're done with or don't know what to do with feels like a really cheap and lazy way to use something. Think of it like this: You're a writer, a creator. You've created these two cool characters and you're setting up that the two of them will have a showdown. However, something happens in the story that changes everything for both of them, leaving the second character's role in question. You should be able to find a unique and creative way to be abel to still use that character in a way that feels satisfying and ends up making up for them losing the role that they were originally supposed to have. That wasn't what happened in 3.0, at least not in my opinion. They should've done something with it that gave it a satisfying role to play in the movie, even if it's role had to end with it losing it's head. Again, not a writer here, I don't know how they would've been able to do that, so maybe there's something I'm not seeing. Let me know.

Someone could say "Well, Rei is dead in 3.0 so why aren't you mad at that?", and normally, I would agree, that sucks too and feels equally as cheap, especially considering the same thing happens in the original series. That is dumb, yes. But the thing is, Rei isn't "dead", she's inside Unit 01 and Shinji is most likely gonna communicate with her once he gets inside (even if we don't have a fucking clue how THAT'S gonna happen.) and her presence is felt throughout the movie. She probably isn't getting out of Unit 01 anytime soon (poor girl) but she's clearly gonna play some sort of role in the final film, even if we don't know to what extent. I'm not sure I can say the same for Mark.06, unless there actually is time travel in the movie (god forbid), in which case, *ahem*, PLEASE ANNO, I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE HAVE MARK.06 SHOW UP DURING UNIT 01 AND UNIT 13's SPEAR BATTLE AND HAVE IT STAB UNIT 13 AND HELP Shinji THIS TIME, THAT WOULD AN AMAZING CONTRAST TO WHAT HAPPENS IN 2.0. :mari_love:
*cough* *cough* Sorry, I don't know what came over me there.

Anyways, just to conclude this whole post because it feels like I've been writing forever, I feel like Mark.06 really ended up being wasted in the Rebuild movies. I feel like they could've done a lot more with it then they did, and it felt like the build up was ultimately for nothing. We don't even have that much artwork of it, at least not from what I've seen. Come on man, it's too cool of a design to just leave in the basement! At least it's getting a cool looking model kit soon. Can we get more please? (And whoever makes Evangelion Merch [I don't really pay attention to this stuff as you can tell LOL], PLEASE, make a statue or poster or whatever of Awakened Unit 01 facing off against Mark.06, I will sell my soul if I have to to get that.)

So...yeah, that's all I have to say really. This post ended up being longer than I had expected it to be, and I do feel like I get distracted with other stuff a bit so I apologize for that in advance, but please, tell me what you guys think. I'm really curious to see what you all have to say, and I hope I didn't waste your time with this topic. If so, and if you disagree with any (if not all) of my points, feel free to dunk on me all you want. :D

EDIT: I also apologize if I swear a bit too much. I'm used to being in convo's (and Discord servers) where we swear like a sailor, so if you guys want me to dial it back, I gladly will.
Last edited by ohno2100 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Evangelion Mark.06: The Eva that deserved better.

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:27 pm

I agree with almost everything, except because i quite like the new Unit 13, I would like to add that in the possible "alternative 3.0" the preview shows Mk06 would likely still get ditched to the side and Eva 8 (the true big bad EVA precursor to 13) would take its role as the nemesis of 01, poor Mk 06 :(
But there's still hope afterall (a lot of it), Mk 06 is the second most popular EVA besides Eva01 in Japan and surely is one of the most lucrative (besides appearing for less than 1 minute I think, very impressive), Khara/Anno simply can't ignore its popularity and there's still a lot of shady information going around it that needs to be resolved, everything points out to Mk 06 appearing again in a flashback of Third Impact or the possible explanation of Adams/Marks (why are they named marks and why they're relevant?), not even going to mention the placeholder Mark6 in the 8+2 preview, Anno is saving the best for the last it seems indeed.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 pm

I wish the mass of Evas we’re getting in the final movie kept the design they had in the preview at the end of Q which looks like the Mark 06. It would add some much needed meat to the story of the Mark 06 and help continuity with Q since we see a bunch of Eva hands that have the same green color scheme.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:I agree with almost everything, except because i quite like the new Unit 13, I would like to add that in the possible "alternative 3.0" the preview shows Mk06 would likely still get ditched to the side and Eva 8 (the true big bad EVA precursor to 13) would take its role as the nemesis of 01, poor Mk 06 :(
But there's still hope afterall (a lot of it), Mk 06 is the second most popular EVA besides Eva01 in Japan and surely is one of the most lucrative (besides appearing for less than 1 minute I think, very impressive), Khara/Anno simply can't ignore its popularity and there's still a lot of shady information going around it that needs to be resolved, everything points out to Mk 06 appearing again in a flashback of Third Impact or the possible explanation of Adams/Marks (why are they named marks and why they're relevant?), not even going to mention the placeholder Mark6 in the 8+2 preview, Anno is saving the best for the last it seems indeed.

Yeah, you bring up a good point with Unit 08. I almost forgot the whole "Quickening" thing in the preview, honestly :hahaha: I hope you're right about it showing up again someway, though. Be it flashback or explanation. Honestly, I'm surprised that Mark.06 is the second most popular EVA in Japan, and I'd like know where this was stated, if you don't mind me asking. I'm only hearing about this now. It makes me happy knowing that I'm not the only one who likes it though, Mark.06 is honestly my favorite Rebuild exclusive Evangelion despite it's limited appearances.

Also, I honest to god forgot about the Unit 8+2 preview, LOL

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Eva Mark.06 is my favorite Eva too! It has a great design and colors; even the mask design seems like an upgrade to me. It had its own uniqueness and at the same time shared some similarities with Eva Unit 01 (on purpose, I guess). I was expecting so much more of it in 3.0 but I was left with more questions about it's current situation rather than answers (by Anno's intention). Even though I love the design of Evangelion 13, I think it is still surpassed by the incredible design of Eva Mark.06. Hell, even the 1.0 preview had a different design of Mark.06 that I love despite not being the final version of it. It's a little sad that Anno ditched Mark.06 and was going to replace it with Eva Unit 08 and it's Quickening (a role that Evangelion 13 seems to have taken). It is still a mystery to me if ditching Mark.06 in favor of another unit was Anno's intention since the very beggining (and if that was the case, why hyping its construction since the very first NTE). Mark.06 deserved a great story and action scenes, but we'll have to see if it still fits with Anno's new vision of these films (Sadly, I guess we'll no longer see any of it).

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Mark.06's situation kinda reminds me of the Knights of Ren in the Star Wars sequel trilogy in a way that they get teased/hyped up early on and then just got sidelined in the next films. However, while KoR really ended up being completely irrelevant to the story by the time they finally show up in Rise of Skywalker, Mark.06 at least got a brief albeit iconic scene in 2.0 and still remains as a point of interest regarding its role in the real Third Impact so if we're getting them juicy flashbacks in Shin Eva, we're almost definitely getting more glimpses of the unit in action.

On another topic, it's also getting an RG treatment from Bandai. :kaworu_thumbsup:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:20 am

The KOR did get one memorable scene, the vision in TFA.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:05 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Mark.06's situation kinda reminds me of the Knights of Ren in the Star Wars sequel trilogy in a way that they get teased/hyped up early on and then just got sidelined in the next films.

I don't recall the sequel trilogy all that well outside of memes, but I do remember that part. Honestly, I do see the similarities. I really do hope we get to see more of Mark.06 unlike the Knights of Ren as you said though. It'd be shame if it actually got nothing, but we'll have to wait and see. :gendo_doom:

On another topic, it's also getting an RG treatment from Bandai. :kaworu_thumbsup:

I know! :gendo_yay: I'm super excited for it, it looks really cool. I wonder if Bandai will also give Unit 13 the RG treatment too so we can get (3 of) the supposed Four Adams in action figure form. This part is mostly wishful thinking, but maybe if that happens, later down the line they'll package them all together with The Key of Nebuchadnezzar? :mari_love:

Anyways, a little off-topic, but there's something that's been bugging me. What's the proper palette for Mark.06? Like I know it's primarily blue and orange, but it looks kinda... inconsistent. Seriously, in 3.0 and some artwork I've seen of it it looks brighter in palette and it's shoulders appear to have green and orange on the...er, pentagon shape, and the shoulder pythons have more orange. Like, look at this:

And compare it to this:

The colors are darker, there's less orange on the shoulder pythons, and the green is white. It's honestly just a minor thing, not even really a nitpick, but it's just something I noticed. This is also the palette that I've seen used for the merch and I think it's the palette in Evangelion Battlefields. It's weird, I wonder why they changed the color of it's remains for 3.0. :shrug:

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 am

You forgot to mention that even the orange armor plate over the torso got changed from being the third one to the second one in Evangelion 3.0 (not counting the chest armor piece). There are these little details that makes me wonder if Mark.06 suffered from an attack against the 11th angel and needed to be repaired, or maybe those were merely aesthetic choices made by team Khara to correct some things. Even the color scheme from the post-credit scene in 2.0 showed a different color palette for Mark.06, being more dark blue and yellow rather than the Royal blue with orange datails. Also most of the Mark.06 toys they are selling have the color palette used in the post-credits scene rather than the one seen in 3.0.

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 am

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:You forgot to mention that even the orange armor plate over the torso got changed from being the third one to the second one in Evangelion 3.0 (not counting the chest armor piece). There are these little details that makes me wonder if Mark.06 suffered from an attack against the 11th angel and needed to be repaired, or maybe those were merely aesthetic choices made by team Khara to correct some things. Even the color scheme from the post-credit scene in 2.0 showed a different color palette for Mark.06, being more dark blue and yellow rather than the Royal blue with orange datails. Also most of the Mark.06 toys they are selling have the color palette used in the post-credits scene rather than the one seen in 3.0.

Damn, you're right, I didn't notice that! Interesting... :eva_eye:

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:10 pm

View Original Postohno2100 wrote:
View Original PostEscapismIsBad#910743 wrote:I agree with almost everything, except because i quite like the new Unit 13, I would like to add that in the possible "alternative 3.0" the preview shows Mk06 would likely still get ditched to the side and Eva 8 (the true big bad EVA precursor to 13) would take its role as the nemesis of 01, poor Mk 06 :(

Yeah, you bring up a good point with Unit 08. I almost forgot the whole "Quickening" thing in the preview, honestly :hahaha: I hope you're right about it showing up again someway, though. Be it flashback or explanation. Honestly, I'm surprised that Mark.06 is the second most popular EVA in Japan, and I'd like know where this was stated, if you don't mind me asking. I'm only hearing about this now. It makes me happy knowing that I'm not the only one who likes it though, Mark.06 is honestly my favorite Rebuild exclusive Evangelion despite it's limited appearances.

Also, I honest to god forgot about the Unit 8+2 preview, LOL

Here: thread/20120/NHKs-Evangelion-mega-poll-results-2020/

It actually is situated at third place (but if you disconsider all the EVA 01 variations it truly is the second most popular EVA), definitely not something to be ashamed for, the Kaworu power this EVA does have is definitely one of the causes for this awesome result. I'm pretty delighted at your speculation of the multiple EVAs reappearing at the end to help destroy Eva13, maybe it will appear again too at the end of the movie when all the EVAs will disappear. Honestly considering it's EVA we're talking about Mk 06 may even manifestate in some weird angellic power stuff regarding the new bad EVAs the same way 00 manifested the dead angels when getting basically raped by Armisael.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm

View Original Postohno2100 wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#910759 wrote:
And compare it to this:

The colors are darker, there's less orange on the shoulder pythons, and the green is white. It's honestly just a minor thing, not even really a nitpick, but it's just something I noticed. This is also the palette that I've seen used for the merch and I think it's the palette in Evangelion Battlefields. It's weird, I wonder why they changed the color of it's remains for 3.0. :shrug:

All the scenes that Mark 06 has been in have had low lighting. This picture right here is of it as it descended to Tokyo-03 at night. Dogma during 3.33 is also dimly lit, although to a lesser extent. I prefer the darker look myself, but the lighting is causing some color grading effects that change the color values from their true values.

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Here: thread/20120/NHKs-Evangelion-mega-poll-results-2020/

It actually is situated at third place (but if you disconsider all the EVA 01 variations it truly is the second most popular EVA), definitely not something to be ashamed for, the Kaworu power this EVA does have is definitely one of the causes for this awesome result. I'm pretty delighted at your speculation of the multiple EVAs reappearing at the end to help destroy Eva13, maybe it will appear again too at the end of the movie when all the EVAs will disappear. Honestly considering it's EVA we're talking about Mk 06 may even manifestate in some weird angellic power stuff regarding the new bad EVAs the same way 00 manifested the dead angels when getting basically raped by Armisael.

Ah, thanks! Very pleased to see that Japan is truly cultured and knows good taste in Evangelions. :devil:
But man, Unit 05 being number 7 (or I guess Number 5 if you forget Awakened Unit 01 and Unit 02 Beast Mode) over Unit 00....LOL, that threw me off, not gonna lie.

StrokeMeGoat wrote:All the scenes that Mark 06 has been in have had low lighting. This picture right here is of it as it descended to Tokyo-03 at night. Dogma during 3.33 is also dimly lit, although to a lesser extent. I prefer the darker look myself, but the lighting is causing some color grading effects that change the color values from their true values.

Ah, yeah that does make sense, honestly. Isn't there a figure of Unit 01 in "Night Time" colors and it looks darker as well? Because if I'm recalling that correctly, it does add up. I prefer the darker colors too, honestly.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:51 am

I think having Mark.06 be in that state in Q just increments the feeling of everything having gone to shit and having "missed out on something" even more.

Well, even if it is a corpse pretty much in Q, it is part of one of the best scenes in all of Eva IMO. So that's still pretty good.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:33 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think having Mark.06 be in that state in Q just increments the feeling of everything having gone to shit and having "missed out on something" even more.

Well, even if it is a corpse pretty much in Q, it is part of one of the best scenes in all of Eva IMO. So that's still pretty good.

I hope that one day, once Shin is released, Anno will explain in a book or documentary the entire creative process for Rebuild, to see if the timeskip, destroyed world and most of the NGE plot point being dropped was planned from the beginning or if it's an idea that came to him between movies and if so, what gave him said idea. Just to see if he really planned to raise the hype around Mark.06 only to have the rug pulled from our feet once it appears as a corpse in Q.

And I completely agree with you that seeing Mark.06 in such a state in Q hammers even more the point that there's an entire part of the story that we missed, in fact it's even the high point of showing how much Shinji (and by proxy the audience) missed out, on how all the plot points and character arcs were resolved offscreen, far from his (and our) eyes:
  • Misato struggling between her desire from vengeance against the Angels and her distaste at sending kids against them, fed by her powerlessness at acting by herself? Now she has the Wunder so she ca directly bring the fight to the enemies of humanity, and the remaining Eva pilots are adults by now
  • Asuka's struggle working with others and her need to be the number one pilot? All gone, now she's focused on the mission and works like a well oiled machine with Mari
  • What changes will Mari bring to the dynamic between the rest of the cast? How will she integrate to the team? Well, she's now part of the team and completely integrated, thank you very much
  • The secret War between Gendo and SEELE? Old story, they made peace and are now working together (or so SEELE thinks)
  • The Angels? Dealt with, they aren't humanity's problem anymore (even the surviving 12th Angel was just in "storage" to serve as awakening nutrient to EVA-13)
  • And for the highlight of the show: Mark.06, the super secret Eva built on the Moon, Kaworu's own Eva unit (finally) with its own never seen before spear! What about it? It has come and gone, its story long over by the time Shinji resurfaced.

Every plot points and characters arcs have been resolved offscreen (the only one I can think of is if Kaji is alive), Q made a clean sweep of the plot points inherited from NGE and even the few new brought by NTE, in sense, we're in an entirely new story, like a sequel: the "Rebuilt NGE" part finished and the new story with the post-3I advanced well by the time Shinji (and us) returned to the story, and even the hyped to hell and back Mark.06 is now a thing of the past, brought almost as a cameo in Q.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:48 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I hope that one day, once Shin is released, Anno will explain in a book or documentary the entire creative process for Rebuild, to see if the timeskip, destroyed world and most of the NGE plot point being dropped was planned from the beginning or if it's an idea that came to him between movies and if so, what gave him said idea. Just to see if he really planned to raise the hype around Mark.06 only to have the rug pulled from our feet once it appears as a corpse in Q.

I hope the CRC will be a source for these things. I'm also super interested in the process. :tongue:

Every plot points and characters arcs have been resolved offscreen (the only one I can think of is if Kaji is alive), Q made a clean sweep of the plot points inherited from NGE and even the few new brought by NTE, in sense, we're in an entirely new story, like a sequel: the "Rebuilt NGE" part finished and the new story with the post-3I advanced well by the time Shinji (and us) returned to the story, and even the hyped to hell and back Mark.06 is now a thing of the past, brought almost as a cameo in Q.

I agree with these, but I also suspect unresolved stuff under the surface, and that in the end we will return to what came before, but seeing it from very different perspectives.

Misato wasn't able to kill Shinji and is clearly carrying some guilt or something in relation to Shinji.
Asuka still seems to have Shinji be a source of struggle, no different from 2.0. She just isn't letting that stop her it seems.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:11 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I agree with these, but I also suspect unresolved stuff under the surface, and that in the end we will return to what came before, but seeing it from very different perspectives.

Misato wasn't able to kill Shinji and is clearly carrying some guilt or something in relation to Shinji.
Asuka still seems to have Shinji be a source of struggle, no different from 2.0. She just isn't letting that stop her it seems.

Oh course Misato and Asuka still have emotional luggage with Shinji:
  • Misato still cares for him even after all these years apart, and is probably feeling guilty for not supporting him enough and pushing him to follow his desires which led to N3I 14 years ago
  • Asuka have strongly conflicted feelings toward him: on one hand she can't be in the same room as him without feeling anger, and very probably resents him for not doing enough to save her against the 9th Angel 14 years ago (yet being ready to die to save Rei, even though I'm sure that he wouldn't had gone as far if there weren't the precedent with Asuka), yet during Operation US she called for him to help her, was expecting that he would go search for her after their entry plug crashed at the end of the movie, and Mari's regular teasing only vindicate that her "hate" is not absolute
But still, those are new character arcs, born from the very different environment since Q and completely unrelated to the old character arcs carried over from NGE.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Every plot points and characters arcs have been resolved offscreen (the only one I can think of is if Kaji is alive), Q made a clean sweep of the plot points inherited from NGE and even the few new brought by NTE, in sense, we're in an entirely new story, like a sequel: the "Rebuilt NGE" part finished and the new story with the post-3I advanced well by the time Shinji (and us) returned to the story, and even the hyped to hell and back Mark.06 is now a thing of the past, brought almost as a cameo in Q.

Honestly, and I've heard this echoed a lot before in others topics that I've lurked in, stuff like this is why I want an anime or an OVA that tells the story of what happened in-between 2.0 and 3.0. Yeah, the stuff getting explained in 3.0+1.0 would be cool, I won't deny that, but I really wanna see the story that happened after 2.0 and see how it concludes. 3.0 changes basically everything and I think it works (even if I don't entirely understand it, ahahaha), and that world does interest me, but I'm still super in-love with the more NGE like world we saw in the first two movies. It may be due to my love of NGE, yeah, but I grew to really be interested and attached to those characters and that world, even if some of them frustrated me (Shinji, Asuka), and some of them made me hate their guts (You know who. :gendoscheme: ) I want to watch them grow into the characters they are now, dammit! :lol:

Also, I too want to see Anno explain the creative process of the Rebuild movies. I'm super interested in seeing how they came up with the idea for how the Impacts work in this, the Four Adams shit, what made him decide to skip forward 14 years into the future, etc etc. It's all a lot to think about and it would be great to finally get at least some answers.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 pm

And the coffins on the moon...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:And the coffins on the moon...

I don't expects such specific stuff to be picked up again. I'm pretty satisfied with interpreting these things as is if there is no extra info.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”