Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Is New Game! any good? The art seems solid & I like stories about a workplace environment but from the clips I've seen I'm getting the vibe that:

A) There isn't much focus on the actual work.
B) It's another anime show that exists in a strange post-apocalyptic utopia where all men have died off
C) It's a show about female camaraderie that is still loaded with misplaced fan service & awkward ass + tits shots because it's made primarily by men.*

If you don't want to give it a go based on what others have said, but still want to watch a newer show I'd say check out PA Works' Sakura Quest. I remember you saying you liked its spiritual predecessor Shirobako on here a while back, so I think this one may be right up your alley. The work the main gurls are doing isn't as interesting as animmay making, but the cast is pretty cool. There are men in the world, and I don't think there's much of any fan service.

I understand your feelings on fan service-y type shows; used to be pretty opposed to them myself. But I think if you watch enough anime you get used to it. It seems like it's just a part of the medium(I remember the first time I saw the topless scenes in Mobile Suit Gundam and being a bit confused). There was even a decent amount in that show we all like, Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still don't watch harem shows because their concept isn't for me, and all of my favorite animes include little to no fan service, but I don't think it's all that bad.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:13 am

I ripped the band-aid off and watched Now And Then

I hated it, but at least I got closure. All in all, well made. But critically flawed in terms of themes and story. Not to mention how it ended poor Saras story arc really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not for me.

Now if you don't mind, I need something to cleanse my palatte. and forget this awful thing ever existed.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Now if you don't mind, I need something to cleanse my palatte. and forget this awful thing ever existed.

Well, if you're asking for a recommendation for something light/funny, my favorite humor series is School Rumble. Great characters, great story, and GREAT humor.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:57 pm

You didn't have to watch it, you know. You could have just read my recaps of the episodes.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:You didn't have to watch it, you know. You could have just read my recaps of the episodes.

It's like germs. The more you expose yourself to germs, the strong your immune system gets. To ignore it would be to keep myself locked in a saccharine echo chamber.

Link to please? I want to get your two cents on it. I'm still trying to come to terms with it. As you can probably tell, I'm very upset by certain topics in fiction. But I feel I owe it to myself to expose myself to such content, if you can't handle it in a movie or show how can you be expected to handle it in real life?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Start on page 17 of this thread. I recap each episode in order.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:00 pm

The season is almost over, so here are my thoughts on the shows that have already finished.

Aho Girl: There's a girl that is really dumb, nonsense follows. That's it, the entire show, and it's great. I think it's the actors performance that really sells it. Many of the jokes aren't really funny by themselves, but with the over the top performances and hilarious reaction faces they become fantastic.

I should mention the OP, that changes with every episode and is basically its own contained joke. The anime is only a little over ten minutes a episode, so they use every second they've got.

A great show, but you have to like it's particular type of comedy for it to work.

Re:Creators: Fictional characters enter the real world. Quite possibly one of the strongest premises of its season and yet, the actual show doesn't live up to it.
This isn't to say that it is a bad show, but it could have been so much more. Despite the 22 episodes it has, it doesn't feel enough to really develop the large cast they introduce. The big actions scenes only occasional get the animation quality they deserve . The cinematography is fine, but bland most of the time. The characters that get brought from fictional worlds aren't varied enough(although I understand that if, say, Punpun was summoned, things would be very different). You get the point. The show has problems.

But ignoring that for a moment...The soundtrack is good, the composer just keeps repeating the same soundtrack he did for Kill la Kill, but I liked that soundtrack, so its fine. The climax and epilogue are well delivered and make up for the slow episodes at the beginning. The character dynamics are a joy to watch.

So yeah, all in all, a good anime, just one that couldn't really excel.

Kakegurui: Pretty girls get wet from gambling and make funny faces: The animation.

The gambling isn't really the focus, surprisingly, it's the reactions. This isn't like that show with really big noses.
So, stating that, can the show deliver on those pretty girls making crazy faces? Yeah, sort of, most of the time the animation keeps up, with the notable exception of scenes were cards are placed or flipped and other similar scenes. In these cases, CG is used. Because animating hands is hard, I guess.
The actual drama is really dull. The protagonist is a wild girl that likes gambling and she must face off against equally wild opponents! Her sidekick is a male(self insert, kinda?) that reacts to all the madness around him with the typical reactions every time: "What are you doing MC? Why are you making wild gambles that are consistent with your motivations? Why am I still reacting in the exact same way despite having seen your insane actions multiple times?"
Yeah, I've seen all this before

One final mention to the soundtrack and OP, the latter a wild, jazzy song that might be the best part of this anime and the former a surprisingly distorted and garbled madness in some tracks, witch does much to bring mood to otherwise flat scenes.

A slightly above average experience that I can't really recommend.

Sakura Quest: Shirobako in a small Japanese town. Seriously, its almost the same. It's an enjoyable show, nothing particularly great, like Shirobako before it.

Really, the only reason people throw wild praise at Shirobako is because it's about anime. Looking past that both it and Sakura Quest are just enjoyable SoLs.

Tenshi no 3P!: Lolis that play rock. The memes are coming true.

Seriously though, it's a show about lolis, you know why people watch it.
And you know, as far as these kind of shows go, it was a good time, better at the first episodes.

Princess Principal: A spy show with cute girls in a SteamPunk London.(Why do people really like this style? SteamPunk, I mean, I don't dislike it, but the love it gets is something I don't understand)

A mostly episodic anime about spies doing spy things. Despite the cuteness of the main characters, the show doesn't shy away from having a great deal of heavy episodes were said cute characters suffer quite a bit. Hey, you need a counterbalance for those tea drinking scenes, right?

The animation is really solid throughout, with a couple of particularly impressive fights scenes here and there. The soundtrack has a couple of memorable tracks, but it tends to blend in with the rest of the show.

I should mention that the ending is a fast paced conclusion that obviously is leaving space for a season 2 that I hope happens.

Great show, my favourite this season after Bahamut and Made in Abyss.

And that's it for this season, I'll do another post or edit this one when the other anime finish.

---

I've also watched a couple of other shows in the meantime:

Appleseed: This is one of those Gainax shows that isn't really well known.

It's a really straightforward action show with some nice animation. There really isn't anything else of note about, witch is probably why it isn't remembered by most

Hideaki Anno participates as a mechanical animation advisor or something along those lines. He deals with the mechs, not very surprising.

If you're curious about early Gainax this could be a interesting watch, for everyone else there isn't much to be had here. That said, I personally enjoyed it.

Bobby ni Kubitake: A very calm drama about some kid that likes bikes.

I have no idea who managed to convince Madhouse to even make this but I'm thankfull to them. Not because of the story or characters, that, while certainly different from the usual, just don't have enough time to really shine. The one thing that shines though, is the visuals. It seems like there is experimentation at every couple of minutes as some unusual techniques are used. For example, the close up shots of objects will sometimes be a static detailed drawing, something that I have seen before, but not in anime. It's a bit different from what you see in shows like Rose of Versailles. I can't really explain it.

But without doubt, the best reason to watch this obscure OVA is one of the final scenes, an amazing animated sequence that will make you wonder how it ended up in an obscure 1985 OVA.
Worth watching for the animation alone, seriously.

Kamui no Kem: Very long movie about a boy taking revenge and seeking a legendary treasure.

Despite the length of the movie, I feel this would've worked better as a series. Too much happens under 3 hours. This said, the story works. It has a number of fossilized cliches, but if you don't mind that you'll be fully on board the ride an hour in to the movie.

The soundtrack is mostly various instrumental rockish tracks, that are implemented with varying results. Unfortunately, someone decide to have every scene in which there are various ninjas to have a loud sound effect play, sometimes over the cool music. The sound is TAKATAKATAKATAKA. It's really annoying.

The animation is great, as expected of Madhouse.

Goku:MIdnight Eye I and II: A Big, muscular man fights evil criminal masterminds in future Tokyo while saving(or failing to save) pretty women.

That's it, and it's great.
Also, the ending music is extremely 80s.

The Cockpit: Three 20 minute stories about WWII. All of them beautifully animated and all of them extremely sad. I really liked this one and would recommend to anyone that likes planes and WWII stories in general.

Koe no Katachi: Everybody and their mother was talking about this when it came out. I don't really have anything new to say. I read a bit of the original manga and its problems carry over to the film version. The first part is great and what comes after can't live up. The manga had these later sections be too long and the movies has them too short. I guess you just can't win.

Still, 2 hours well spent.

Really minor spoiler:

SPOILER: Show
Also, they play a The Who song in the movie. How cool is that?

Last one

Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni: The life of a woman during the 30s and 40s in Japan. You know, I'd never realized just how pretty some of the western style architecture in Japan was. All those neo-classic and art-deco building, turned to rubble.

So yeah, I don't really know what to say about this one. It excellent and it will make you feel really sad. I really recommend it.
Absolutely wonderful movie. I'll have to try to get in on DVD or Blu-ray one day.

---

This post become much larger than I was expecting. (:|
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Bobby ni Kubitake: A very calm drama about some kid that likes bikes.

I have no idea who managed to convince Madhouse to even make this but I'm thankfull to them. Not because of the story or characters, that, while certainly different from the usual, just don't have enough time to really shine. The one thing that shines though, is the visuals. It seems like there is experimentation at every couple of minutes as some unusual techniques are used. For example, the close up shots of objects will sometimes be a static detailed drawing, something that I have seen before, but not in anime. It's a bit different from what you see in shows like Rose of Versailles. I can't really explain it.

But without doubt, the best reason to watch this obscure OVA is one of the final scenes, an amazing animated sequence that will make you wonder how it ended up in an obscure 1985 OVA.
Worth watching for the animation alone, seriously.

And for nothing else, it seems...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks to Joy Evangelion I was able to finish a few shows this week (instead of next week):

New Game!! – Despite its bad habits (like hot-spring fondlings) the show did manage to grow up a little and explore some interesting themes as Esselfortium described. It also gave us a fitting, bittersweet ending.
Bittersweet ending?  SPOILER: Show
Ko actually leaves the company.
I was expecting a “lol i decided not to leave after all. status quo unchanged WOOT” rug-pull.

People quit/retire/get fired from gaming companies all the time, it was nice to see a little bit of reality reflected here.

Aho Girl – Short and amusing with plenty of boy-on-girl violence. Would happily watch more.

Tsuredure Children – Short and amusing with no boy-on-girl violence. Would happily watch more.
Certain couples naturally got more screen time than others; I would have liked to have seen more from the Astronomy club triangle, the potential for a bit of conflict was sadly lost there.

Classroom of the Elite – As expected- we got the inevitable blush-face and “Arigato” from the haughty girl before the end. Ayanokoji’s hilarious “Frankly my dear” face remained a constant source of amusement for me.
I look forward to not reading the LNs and waiting for the second season that’ll never be made.

Gamers! – The surprise of the season, if only for its first episode. What looked like a typical school-club show leaning heavily on vidya gaeming quickly turned into a love-polygon-comedy with only the occasional dip into gaming culture.
Some of the misunderstandings in the middle of the story were good, frustrating fun.
Avoid the final episode.

Restaurant to Another World – A very consistant, relaxing, nothing of a show. A decent advertisement for Western cuisine for the Japanese, I’m sure.

A Centaur’s Life/ Centaur’s Worries – Despite failing the Tines test I did still peek into this one during exercises. Morbid curiosity, I suppose.
What a very, very odd show. One episode we’re watching high-schoolers compare genitals, next we’re watching primary-schoolers discussing shapes and flowers, next we’re in the middle of the (no joke) holocaust. Who on earth was the intended audience for this?

Patiently awaiting the next SYD* OVA to be fan-subbed...
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am

I watched about 20 episodes of the original Sailor Moon . Why? I was depressed and I needed something to lift my spirits.

Okay I will say this, it was clearly not made with me in mind. I've made no secret that the magical girl aesthetic comes off to me as overtly saccharine.

But I can see why it caught on the way it did. . . And I did find myself getting somewhat invested in the characters and the story. Campy as it is. . . Though as an adult (and especially after watching Madoka) I can't help but second guess this series now and then. Where is the story going? Is it just going to be monster fights a week ad nauseam until we get a tacked on finale? Is it ever going to be explained where Luna and the whole magical-girl power thing came from to begin with?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Where is the story going? Is it just going to be monster fights a week ad nauseam

You're on an Evangelion fan forum, Gundam, Sailor Moon, everything of that calibre requires some kind of conditioning to that kind of thing of intensive endless monster of week and general combat, which can only be achieved via watching more of it until you stop noticing one of the main core driving forces in those kinds of shows. Sailor Moon is quite long and you should consider pacing yourself and taking it all in as it comes instead of burning yourself out.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Made in Abyss
This show reignited my interest in Anime. After Fall 2016 I was thoroughly burned out. I’ve followed too many shows, also life was steadily getting busier and I my tolerance for Anime tropes reached a new low. But then this show opened with a fascinating premise, brought to live through beautiful visual execution and my favorite soundtrack in years. I was blown away. Then the mid-section of the show slowed down significantly and I feared this would devolve into the next boilerplate Shonen I have no interest in watching. But then it soared high over the finish line. Man, do I hope this amazing team gets another chance to create a second season.
9/10
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 am

UQ Holder! ep1 : “Happy*Material” makes yet another appearance (or the audio equalivent of) in the Negima franchise. What’s the deal with this song? Sure, it may be one of the very few fondly-remembered aspects of the original TV adaptation, but why not throw some 1000% Sparking in there instead? <shrug>

Been a long time since I read the early chapters of this, so it’s nice to pretend the story and premise have some potential and won’t turn into the utter train wreck that it has become.
Will the show cover the god-awful zombie apocalypse arc? Or will they cut that rubbish out and introduce Santa some other way?
Should be amusing to see how things unfold.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:47 am

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul Finale.

Eh... It's alright. Not a lot of it felt earned though. The resolution of the God/Demon-human conflict, Favaro's (lack of) reaction to Kaiser, the King turning out to be simply misunderstood.

Still love the characters, but the plot has once again made itself an obstacle.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul Finale.

Eh... It's alright.

I echo this thought about the final episode. I still adore the show and it remains one of my favourites of the season but I'd be lying if I said the ending satisfied me. Still had a couple of great moments though.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:24 am

Shoukoku no Altair

Still managing to be the surprise of this season for me; the animation never really gets past "meh" levels, and the pacing is bit rushed here and there, but the characters gradually unveil their complexity, and the story reveals layer after layer in the final episodes, showing that this was never simply about "good vs evil", but human beings playing the game of geopolitics, in whatever fashion they must to get an edge.

EDIT:

Oh, it's not over yet, my bad. -o-;
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Jubei-chan, episode 8: So this hard slapstick show just pulled some deeply moving, extremely serious human drama in an episode where the protagonists are menaced by literal Mickey Mouse ninjas. Goddamn I love anime sometimes.

robersora

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Pokemon 2000
I have never seen this one. It was a fun Pokemon movie. It satisfied my cravings for childhood nostalgia just fine. A finely executed exciting adventure movie.6/10
The short before the main movie was super cute, tho. 8/10 I think it made me develop a sweet spot for well animated cute Pokemon, so I'll try Sun & Moon next.

The Five Killers
This could have been cool, I guess. I mean, even if Afro Samurai was ultimately boring, I like this aesthetic that Japan developed in the mid-2000s to pander to American audiences. I watched one whole minute of the trailer, before I was bored. 3/10

Satanika
This 3 minute short animation was awesomely edgy. Go watch it on Youtube right now. 8/10

Ai City
This thing was directed by the creator of Noir and .hack//Sign and it shows in the compositions of every single frame. But in this movie from the 80s he didn't need to train young animators, so the visual execution is actually capable enough to make his style work. The music is super 80s. Also, it's all in Neon. It's basically Vaporwave the Anime. It's the most A E S T H E T I C thing I've seen in Anime. It's simply amazing. 9/10
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Apart from rewatching AKB0048, the only thing to report lately is that I finally got around to watching the final part of the Ancient Magus' Bride OVA, which had a poignant little digression that ultimately went nowhere, and a final few minutes of non-ending. Overall, a bit of a mess of wasted potential, as it didn't seem to know what it was actually trying to achieve.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 am

The Ancient Magus’ Bride
Girl lives with skull-headed wizard. Enchanting stuff happens.
Didn’t watch the OVAs until recently, so I didn’t have to wait months and months between episodes. Sorry, Mr. Tines.
As my superior states- the ending pretty much went nowhere; but the destination certainly didn’t spoil the journey. One amusing comment on crunchy shares:
The girl did need a hug.
Nice atmosphere, relaxed pacing, pretty to look at too. This could be a winner.
Let’s hope Chise is able to try some Marmite during her stay in Britland.

Food Wars 3/Shokugeki no Soma
Cooking battles and food-induced orgasms return. Very happy to see more of this. Each 20 minute episode feels so short.
I have to admit- despite the casual tone and delivery of the whole scene, I found it really moving when Tadokoro volunteered to help Soma in episode 2.
What a sweetheart. She’s a keeper.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Office-worker quits job and plays an unhealthy amount of MMORPGs, builds an online friendship sort-of romance in the process.
The age and gender of the main character is what saved this from an instant skip: 30 year old female. Her character so far has not been very gender specific, but seeing an adult woman in this sort of narrative role is a nice change compared to something like And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online?’s Nishimura.
This isn’t heavy on the gaming tropes and has been focusing more on the relationship building and the lonely lifestyle of the lead so far.
She plays as a male avatar, interacting largely with a female character, revealed to be played by a male gamer…
I’m not sure where this is going, and I like that. Interested in seeing how this plays out.
Tines test: Pass.

Black Clover
Wizard Naruto? Walking into a shonen series, one expects a certain level of unoriginality and tropes- chosen one-narratives, fighting, talking whilst fighting, having flashbacks whilst fighting etc. It’s tolerable.
What doesn’t make these things easy to tolerate however is possibly the most irritating lead character of recent memory. Asta and his voice actor aren’t winning any popularity contests with his constant, constant yelling; one really has to question the mentality of whoever approved this direction in ADR.
Oy, the lethargic reading of the comic by the mangastorian youtube channel is a far more appealing avenue for experiencing this.
This very much fails the Tines test.

A Sister’s all you need
Oh boy, see if you can survive the first minute and a half of this without vomiting.
No, this does not appear to be another OreImo or Ero-Manga Sensei, the show even gives you a mildly sour look for expecting it to be so.
What is it really about? Relationships? Artistic expression and expectation? Not sure yet...
Comedy isn't great, the fan-service doesn't help. Very low on the list.

UQ Holder!
A different Wizard Naruto.
Ep 3: Those CG monsters. Oh lord. Why even bother? Why even?
Ep 4: I was rather disappointed to see how the Karin shower-room fight was adapted, they didn’t need to fetishise the gun-in-the-mouth moment like that. Nasty.
Won’t make this a habit, I’ve already expressed enough bewilderment for this property in the mango thread.
At least I’ll always have Negima!?. It's mine, and no-one else's.

Return to “Anime and Manga”