Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Patlabor The Movie

Wonderful tale of industrial sabotage mixed with a powerful, memorable score by Kenji Kawai that actually made me consider at times to become a music conductor in the future. ^_^
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:52 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:This very much fails the Tines test.

Pardon my ignorance: What exactly is the Tines test? What are the criteria for passing?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:58 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:Pardon my ignorance: What exactly is the Tines test? What are the criteria for passing?
It's measuring a series against the question "Who are these people, and why should I care?" I used the phrase a few times and now it's got my name on it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 am

^ Inuyashiki. I bet it will pass.

EDIT:

Ep 3.

"I could even send an American nuclear missile to China without Breaking a sweat".

Not without being on site you couldn't. None of them are remotely controlled. About the most you could do is make them self destruct in their silos.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

Interviews With Monster Girls:
Food for thought: this isn't my go-to genre, granted, but I think this show might be the fabled, super-elusive realistic harem anime. It achieves this by tweaking the typical harem asymmetry where there's always a main girl (usually a boring one) and then some harem filler characters with no chance of actually winning the MC bowl. Tetsuo is not a rock star, but he's a cool, handsome adult with actual personality and interests in life, so it makes sense he's got some schoolgirls one-sidedly crushing on him (and considering the wholesomeness levels present, things are almost certain to stay one-sided beyond what the anime covers). Only Satou-sensei qualifies as a potential love interest because she's Tetsuo's co-worker and not a damn child, and the two have pretty good chemistry together. So if this story's ever going to have any sort of romantic resolution, I'd bet good money it's going to be exactly as predictable as your standard harem resolution where somebody actually wins, but with the exception that there was a legit reason why the other girls were never actually in the running anyway.

Besides, it doesn't do justice to this show to talk about it as just a harem anime. It's more a high school comedy / slice-of-life type of thing with a smarter than usual harem-ish dynamic. Hell, it spends a long while pondering dullahan physics and their FTL travel implications, inviting the viewers to take part in crazy speculation as opposed to the typical Rumiko Takahashi style "do not ask science questions" attitude. There's non-cynical creative spark here, which is not bad for a series where the male protagonist is a schoolgirl researcher and the potential love interest is a literal semen demon.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Rick and Morty, Regular Show, Kimba the Lion, LOK, Legend of Tarzan, and Amazing World of Gumball...
:devil:
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Dirty Pair The Movie:
Make no mistake, Project Eden is an absolute wonder of the sort of 1980s aesthetic that makes the retrowave crowd moist, but much like a number of Dirty Pair OVA offerings, it suffers from an inconsistent tone. Basically, there seems to be two ways of doing Dirty Pair. One is to play it straight and have it be a standard scifi-actioner that rises above the crowd thanks to its fun main characters and insane amounts of style. This is what the TV series did, to a great effect. The other option is the satire route which focuses on the fact that Kei and Yuri work for a giant galaxy-spanning bureaucracy, and their arrival is like an administrative natural disaster; for every problem they solve, they cause so much collateral damage to make it so not worth it. I don't know which of these is the more light novel accurate take, but many of the OVA plots seem to attempt a kind of awkward synthesis between the two instead of leaning properly one way or the other. When the satirical mode hasn't been properly established and our heroes accidentally nuke a space colony killing thousands, it comes off just unpleasantly edgy instead of subversive. And as the movie is the pinncale of most things Dirty Pair, it's also the pinncale of this schizophrenia. Like good space cops, Kei and Yuri take the villains alive, and also cause a horryfying chain reaction that kills something like 150 000 people in a really fucked-up, nightmarish way (and Nolandia Affair does almost the exact same thing). If this is anyone's entry point to the franchise, the whiplash is going to be intense.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Vampire Princess Miyu:
Perfect for getting in the Halloween creepy monster mood. It has a girl in thigh high kimono, a creepy tone, giant monsters, ghosts, blood and gore. Even if the animation and the dub it a bit dated.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 pm

I recently saw the first two episodes of Ousama Game. The Battle Royale homage the plot evokes has it's nostalgia factor but i do hace to mention in the second episode the moment Natsuko snaps into a survivalist psychopath, i was genuinely shocked afterwards since i never pictured Yui Horie's acting range go from usual slightly innocent comical roles to one that eclipses the kind of psycho that Mitsuko Souma acted by Kou Shibasaki had.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Ousama Game episode 3 marks the decisive point of whether i will keep watching further because i am legitimately uncomfortable with Natsuko's psychotic shift in personality. Maybe i am just outgrowing my tolerance for hardcore horror but i just feel this way.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:^ Inuyashiki

How's this adaption been? I'd like to check out the manga, but I move like a sloth when it comes to picking up a manga series.(I was supposed to start reading Bokurano last year.)
I'm pretty interested how it'll be received because I think the Gantz anime may be the worst series I've watched from beginning to end, though the source work has such a great premise. Gantz 0 did absolutely slay though.

The shows I've been watching this season ranked, from top to bottom:
March Comes in Like a Lion: There hasn't been too much shogi being played this season as the series has mostly been dealing with human drama. You'd almost forget it's about shogi in the first place, but I can't really complain; the characters are pretty real and relateable and Shaft's animation is (obviously) beautiful throughout. I think this is kind of an Evageek kind of show.

Love Live!! Sunshine Season II: There's something about LL that puts it way above the other idol shows of our day(though I haven't watched Wake Up Girls), though I don't really know what it is. I'm not going to buy their albums or practice their dance moves in the mirror or anything, but I love this franchise. Like MCILAL, you'd almost forget that these girls are even in a musical group, though the drama in LL isn't as "deep" or whatever. Still, it's been a joy from the start, and I think all of us shy, non-outgoing loners were pretty moved by last weeks Dia-centric episode.

Kino's Journey II: Kino Returns in Glorious(?) CG: Probably my most anticipated title of the season, though it hasn't come any where close to matching it's predecessor. Maybe it has to do with the lack of a great director(RIP the master Nakamura Ryuutarou), or maybe they already adapted the best stories of the source work in the original series? I don't know, but it's been a bit of a let down to watch. Watching the original adaption was an absolute joy and an experience I look back on very fondly. I haven't hated the series(there have definitely been some interesting towns), but it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Juni Taisen: I get home from work on Tuesdays, turn my brain off and put this one on. It's so ridiculous, and I pretty much dislike the animation and the characters but this show is still kind of cool. Do I care who wins? Not really. Will I remember watching it in 2 years? Probably not.

Currently also watching Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta, which is alright. I was expecting it to be more like Single Zeta, though I guess it's nice that it's pretty different. Judau is pretty cool(he dresses a bit like me and in one of the episodes I watched today he beat up that a-hole Wong), and the Double Zeta is a cool looking machine. I'm not really crazy about the rest of the cast, but there have been moments when the humor has been on point. Also glad to see the Argama's cafeteria is still offering coffee, tea, and light beer. Once I'm through with this one I'm watching CCA, which I'm pretty pumped for.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:59 pm

So what have I been watching of late...? Well, between seasons I rewatched EscaFlowne, which is always a pleasure; and while I was away I had lots of flights to fill, so I rewatched Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did first time round.

This season has the anticipated re-make of Kino's Journey. It's OK so far, but that's all. Actually, I'm quite seriously disappointed. It misses both the charm and the maturity of the previous series - Kino simply comes across as disconnected from what she experiences, rather than standing apart from it and thinking about the ramifications; and Hermes has no character at all. Kino's character design is also ugly and childish to my eyes, and instead of dark and moody scenery we get colourful but somewhat sketchy backgrounds. The original is long out of print, and is only streamed by Amazon in dub - so for people who don't know the original this may be an acceptable introduction. But if you do know it, prepare to be disappointed.

By far the best new show I've looked at is The Ancient Magus' Bride - stylish and intriguing. Not perhaps a deep story, but certainly worth following (the introductory 3-part OVA was largely flashback, as you might expect, but also contained flashbacks within the flashback). There are also dragons, of much varied design, which turn into trees when they die - and the MC has just been musing about her death, now that she is somewhat happy for the first time. Hard to describe, but easy to enjoy.

I tried the first episode of Recovery of an MMO Junkie (not an accurate translation of the Japanese title). By the end of the first episode we have a mature woman (the MC) playing a dashing man in an MMO, who flirts with a woman (in the MMO) played by a real-life man. Neither realises; and we see that they also, unknowingly, shop at the same grocery store. This could lead to an intelligent exploration of sexuality, or it could be played for cheap sexist thrills. I have no idea which route it has in fact taken, because I was pretty bored anyway and decided to drop it without finding out.

Finally, I am watching Black Clover, to my slight surprise. Standard shōnen stuff, with an MC who has no magic powers in a world where everyone has them, but who is determined to become the Wizard King (as is his non-identical twin brother who is by contrast unusually talented). The MC says (or rather, screams - he screams continuously throughout every episode, it feels like) "Not giving up is my magic", and goes a long way towards proving that. However, he also has a demonic grimoire which they've spent five episodes hinting is a "bad thing"™ without going any further with. It's not as good as My Hero Academia, for sure, but it's quite fun at the moment - though if it shows signs of being designed to stretch out over 500 episodes like the main-stream shōnen shows I'll drop it quick enough.

Finally, a film; if you haven't already, watch A Silent Voice. It's a brilliant story about a boy who bullies a deaf class-mate, and then gets bullied in turn, who years later meets her again and manages, with difficulty, to forge a friendship with her. There's a nice manga, too (only 7 volumes) which gives a further conclusion to the story (more clearly than the film which only hints at it).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:42 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:How's this adaption been? I'd like to check out the manga,

I never read the manga; watching the show on it's own.

Very dark, very brutal, but I get that it's likely the point. The tone is similar to Parasyte, though we haven't gotten to a story yet where it's afflicting the main character's families.

The Old man almost seemed to have a "Kira" moment, where I thought he was concluding that the "scum" of the Earth was better off dead, but turned out no, he was using his power to still be the technical pacifist... and I honestly can't decide if that's worse or not.

Regardless, it is pretty much my favorite show this season. Seeing an older man be the protagonist for once is itself an interesting change of pace. Also, the fights of him flailing around with his super strength are hilarious.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Has anyone else here been watching King's Game? If so, maybe based on my observations of the first 3 episodes and your own experience with it could you help me decide whether i should continue the effort.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I've heard a lot of praise for The Ancient Magus' Bride. But something about the way it looks appalls me to no end. Like, I kimochi warui appalling. Which is weird, I've never had that sensation before.
Haven't checked out much of this season as of yet. I had high hopes for URAHARA, but sadly, this crashed and burned. Juuni Taisen should be perfect, but somehow I'm not feeling it.

Sad to hear that Kino's '17 is a disappointment. I've enjoyed the 2004 version quite a bit, but if the adaption is as generic as people say, I'll skip this one. Girl's last Tour Episode 1 was kinda cool, but I'd like to have some kind of hook. Still, cool show.
Blood Blockade Battlefront is pretty sexy, once again. But as cool as season one was, I was never quite won over. (I'm allergic to Shonen, and my current dissipated passion for Anime, cannot tolerate anything less than a 9)
People rave about Just Because, but I'm really not in a slice of life with teenagers mood...

Houseki no Kuni seems real interesting, I wanna check that out next.

Seems like, I'm still too burned out. Hopefully this will change. Next season has some things that might bring me back full force. But honestly, I just want more Made in Abyss. DuckTales is amazing, though. Everybody should watch it.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Seems like, I'm still too burned out. Hopefully this will change.
I know that feeling.

Not helped by the fact that none of the 4 second seasons I might have watched are on Crunchy UK, the only fall series I've tried has been TWOCAR (admittedly that's one more series than spring and summer combined). Being an unusual sport, with a bonus feature of plenty of scope for girls in leathers, it is the sort of thing that has promise -- if only it stays concentrated on the sport, at least as much as, say Minami Kamakura GHSCC did.

In practice, it has actually been quite disappointing on a 3-episode trial. Not only does it seem to have opened with the big race, with the subsequent episodes being a flashback, there's way too much DORAMA and not enough actual competitive riding. The main character team (as much as there is one, with each episode so far being a team back-story) also have the fairly unsavoury motivation of wanting to win the prize of an entry to the Isle of Man TT because they're both hot for teacher and he left the school to compete there already.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

robersora

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I know that feeling.

Yeah, I was heavily burned out somewhere around '10, but then Mawaru PenguinDrum came around and reeled me back in. I just need another sweet show that appeals to me so hard at first look, I don't care about its failures. Like Made in Abyss. Hm. Maybe the burn is 3rd degree this time. :uhh:

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Houseki no Kuni

Scrap that. While I was positively surprised hat how well the 3D characters looked (I feel like around 2020 they will have nailed that completely), they couldn't resist spinning the camera like a rollercoaster carousel almost at all times. It made me almost motion sick, and that means something. Additionally, there was too much expository dialogue nobody would say. That broke the final straw.
Neat design overall, though.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Aquarion
Only two episodes left to watch and i really loved the affection scenes between Apollo/Silvia and Reika/Tsugumi with the latter giving out the long awaited confession of love but i felt like it chickened out by turning into a generalized instead of specific confession.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 pm

The Boondocks, very Japanese
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:18 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:The Boondocks, very Japanese
It may be drawn by the same Korean sub-contractors, but as the saying goes, anime ja nai!

View Original PostMr. Tines at Tue Nov 06, 2007 06:58 GMT wrote:Boondocks really doesn't count as anime, even at a stretch. Having Korean animation workers is not the key ingredient.

Tried a bunch more first episodes of this season's new shows.

I probably haven't watched quite enough recent titles to get all the references in Animegataris, but it may be silly enough fun to give a second chance. It will depend on the ratio of whimsical out-of-folklore elements to gratuitous onsen scenes in the the all fox-girls all the time Konohana Kitan whether that one continues.

And then The Ancient Magus' Bride sure revealed its shoujo nature by going full-on Fifty Shades at the outset, after a rather dreary OP. Still, the rest of the episode went more into the "encounters with the Good Folk" territory that the OVA teased and never quite delivered on; definitely the best of the bunch so far.

Return to “Anime and Manga”