Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 am

The complains lobbied against Akira are very interesting. Akira was the first movie that got me to actually appreciate anime when I first saw as a 19-20-ish year old film student back it in 2007. Prior to that my only exposure to actual anime TV episodes or movies were the animated commercials for A Children's Card Game and the like. The only actual credit I gave the art form was creating such an enormous marketing god as Pikachu. When I first saw Akira, I was astounded as to what the medium could actually accomplish within terms of narrative and content.

Though, I will admit that I saw Akira while studying films such as Koyaanisqatsi, Russian Ark, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, masterpiece films that boast of unconventional narrative flow and dominant visual style. I'm not saying that Akira is on that same level as far as masterpieces go, but it certainly does fit the description of "unconventional narrative flow" and "dominant visual style." Comparing it to the other Japanese animated titles I've seen since 2007, I must confess that I've watched Kiki's Delivery Service more often than I've watched Akira.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

I absolutely understand that Akira was a definite breakthrough for anime, but I think put it simply: t'was not my jam.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:37 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The complains lobbied against Akira are very interesting. Akira was the first movie that got me to actually appreciate anime when I first saw as a 19-20-ish year old film student back it in 2007. Prior to that my only exposure to actual anime TV episodes or movies were the animated commercials for A Children's Card Game and the like. The only actual credit I gave the art form was creating such an enormous marketing god as Pikachu. When I first saw Akira, I was astounded as to what the medium could actually accomplish within terms of narrative and content.

Though, I will admit that I saw Akira while studying films such as Koyaanisqatsi, Russian Ark, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, masterpiece films that boast of unconventional narrative flow and dominant visual style. I'm not saying that Akira is on that same level as far as masterpieces go,

But as Pause and Select points out, Akira is more than just a technical expression of filmcraft or something meant to provoke an idea or realization.

It is the distillation of a zeitgeist in time, of Japan laboring under the ramifications of cultural discontinuity; itself a long term effect from soundly losing a war, then being rebuilt by an external power whose values don't quite align, spurring corruption and abuse in its institutions.

When you leverage that aspect of Akira, I'd really only call Russian Ark equivalent or better, since it was also trying to convey the real life experience of a people. Though in Russian Ark's case, it was less through allegory, and more through actual events.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 pm

^ Yeah, I certainly wasn't aware of the cultural environment that Akira was responding to when I first saw it. The only thing that stuck out was the eye-popping animation, grotesque mutation designs, and, as stated above, the "unconventional narrative flow." Now that I know more about modern Japan and how it influences their media, I can appreciate certain things about it a bit more than I could before.

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:I absolutely understand that Akira was a definite breakthrough for anime, but I think put it simply: t'was not my jam.

Oh, I'm not dismissing anyone's claims or opinions about art. I just don't usually hear complaints lobbied against Akira, especially from fans of various Japanese animated titles. It's certainly a new perspective for me.

...I'm not sure how I feel about it, though. It's been a few years since I've watched Akira, so a re-watch and a reevaluation is definitely in order for me.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Return to “Anime and Manga”