Mark.09 and the SEELE program

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Mark.09 and the SEELE program

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Another specific topic thread: What is the nature, purpose and operation of the SEELE program which takes over Mark.09.

Mark.09 is taken over by this SEELE program, visualised by the logo appearing all over the entry plug. This occurs after the 12th Angel surrounds Eva-13, as Rei-Q is staring at the giant Rei face forming in the core.

SEELE Program  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C1268 splash.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]Eva3-33_C1269_big.jpg[/wkimg]

Rei-Q does not seem to have expected this, and later winders why that the "link" is not being restored. Mysteriously though, she is still able to maintain (presumably radio) contact with Asuka. (But perhaps she is psychically broadcasting as she did with Shinji in the interrogation room).

Anyway, Mark.09, under the control of this program, tries to take over the Wunder. Of most note here is the fact that the program's "data" seem s to be transmitted via the "blue (core) goop" tendrils that Mark.09 morphs into. How is "data" transmitted through this substances?
Wunder 'data' hijack  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C1364.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C1365 09tendrils.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]Eva3-33_C1362_b_big.jpg[/wkimg]
Midori Unable to reject the Adams' Vessel!
Tama Unidentified data is infiltrating the main control system!
Aoba It's hijacking control of the ship!

The presence of the Logos makes it clear that the (now "deceased" Seele) are the source of the program.

Without even getting into the mechanics of all this, I this there are some basic questions we can ask about this program.

1. What is the purpose of the program? What are its "orders" or imperatives?
2. Why does the program activate when it does? Why not earlier or later?
3. If the program is capable of so much why is Rei-Q even in Mark.09 in the first place?
4. Is this a normal computer program, or is it something more? A type of angel/eva/entity?

I think this thread could go in a lot of directions, but I think basic questions about the purpose of the program are a good place to start.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

I wonder if Seele wasn’t defeated, but merely transferred/copied into Mark.09’s core. It seems as though they have already achieved some form of transhumanism in NTE anyway, seeing as how Q shows us that those monoliths don’t represent living human individual on the other end of a communication line. If that’s the case, then it could be that Seele is trying to literally transplant themselves into the AAA Wunder.

I’m not sure what their motivation for this would be, though. But of the theory that the AAA Wunder is built from a defeated Angel holds any water, then I would go onto to assume that Seele needs that particular Angel for something, probably involving Final Impact.

If that is the case, then I’m not sure what that purpose would be.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:11 am

Can't unsee the smiley face anymore

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10 am

Mostly unrelated, but I don't think that was Rei Q "psychically" talking to Shinji on the Wunder, it was Rei II talking through the SDAT.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 pm

It's like 90% of what happens in this movie: can't be explained because of a lack of information that most probably won't be provided in the final movie.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 pm

But that's how Evangelion has always been. I for one am not expecting any useful infodumps in Final.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I wonder if Seele wasn’t defeated, but merely transferred/copied into Mark.09’s core. It seems as though they have already achieved some form of transhumanism in NTE anyway, seeing as how Q shows us that those monoliths don’t represent living human individual on the other end of a communication line. If that’s the case, then it could be that Seele is trying to literally transplant themselves into the AAA Wunder.

I have to admit that the program could actually be Seele never occured to me! It certainly would explain the appearance of the Seele logos, and perhaps the Mask. We're being visually shown that Mark.09 is now "Seele", or at least heavily associated to them. Your point about humanitarianism is also at the fore here. When we speak of "Seele" in Rebuild, we may be dealing with transhuman "data" all along.

Combining this idea with the transmission of data, from Mark.09 to the Wunder, through the "blue goop" could lead to a new interpretation of the "core effect". Maybe the core effect, in the goop, in cores, an on the older Seele monoliths, represents data or a medium capable of holding and transmitting data?

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But of the theory that the AAA Wunder is built from a defeated Angel holds any water, then I would go onto to assume that Seele needs that particular Angel for something, probably involving Final Impact.

From its actions, It seems reasonable to conclude that the program -- which is perhaps Seele themselves -- intended to hijack the Wunder, using the Adams vessel. Perhaps Seele intended to use the Wunder as their own vessel(ship or container), to "sail" as masters though instrumentality. Or perhaps they simply needed to destroy it to prevent anyone stopping instrumentality.

Misato say that the Wunder has the "power to kill gods". Gendo also mentions that he will complete the Deicide. Was Gendo supposed to use the Wunder to complete or end Instrumentality? Or is his own "Nemesis bridge" ship capable of this? There are definitely some possibilities worth exploring here.

In any case, it's worth noting that Seele themselves are destroyed by Gendo, in what seems to be a pre-agreed "suicide pact". If they had copied or transmitted themselves to Mark.09, and Mark.09 was supposed to take over the Wunder, then the divergence between Gendo and Seele's plan may be very small indeed.

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Can't unsee the smiley face anymore

Now that you've brought it up, I was also going to mention that some of the symbols which appear in the Seele program logo are similar to the diagrams on the Eva control system protoype. Maybe the Seele program is based off such a control system.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Your point about humanitarianism is also at the fore here. When we speak of "Seele" in Rebuild, we may be dealing with transhuman "data" all along.

This could mean some scary things for the NTE series. Gendo thinks Seele for giving them civilization and such, which, if this is true, could be taken to mean that the transhuman data in the Seele monoliths were present throughout Earth’s history. This could tie them closer to the Far, if they are not the FAR themselves in NTE.

But that’s a LOT more speculation than I have the brain power to try and support this late in the evening. Rather than sticking to my guns about accusing Seele of being FAR in this universe just yet, I’m just gonna settle with the idea that they might have found a way to implant their very selves into the Seele Program.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Mark.09 and the SEELE program

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Here's my various two cents:
View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:1. What is the purpose of the program? What are its "orders" or imperatives?

Probably simply to go straight to the Wunder and merge back with it. Even thought Gendo said that SEELE were silent since some time in Q, I really doubt that they didn't kept tabs on the situation of the war, and they know that WILLE have the AAA Wunder while they have its "original master", and that they need Shinji Ikari to pilot EVA-13 alongside Kaworu Nagisa, so WILLE would very probably get their hands on EVA-01 to power that troublesome ship, hence the program installed as part of their contingency plans to take care of the AAA Wunder in case it shows up fully powered to try to stop the HIP.

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:2. Why does the program activate when it does? Why not earlier or later?

It activated when it detected the 12th Angel, because then that would meant hat the spears were retrieved by EVA-13, which was the point of no-return in SEELE's plan of Instrumentality, so WILLE would certainly launch an all-out attack to try to stop it, including directly attacking with the AAA Wunder (which they did in Q). It wasn't activated earlier because it was their ace in the hole, remember that WILLE didn't even discovered that Mark.09 was an ADAM's Vessel until Mari blew off its head in 3.0! The timing to use that ace had to be perfect so WILLE wouldn't had time to counter it and be a nuisance to the HIP, and it accomplished its mission perfectly, since even after Mark.09 was destroyed alongside EVA-02, the Wunder needed time to restart its main engine, putting them out of the game to stop Fourth Impact.

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:3. If the program is capable of so much why is Rei-Q even in Mark.09 in the first place?

Again, to keep their ace in the hole secret for as long as possible. It's also possible that the "awakened" Mark.09 doesn't understand basic orders beyond "search, destroy & hack the big flying robotic turkey", for example it probably wouldn't had been able to carry out the operation to retrieve Shinji from the Wunder, but would had instead rampaged the place.

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:4. Is this a normal computer program, or is it something more? A type of angel/eva/entity?

The Mark.09 itself is probably a mix of Angelic entity (the "ADAM's Vessel) with some magitek added in the mix to make it take an humanoid form to be piloted and used during the war. For the program itself, I would lean toward being a normal computer program, a very advanced version of the Dummy System.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:16 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:It's like 90% of what happens in this movie: can't be explained because of a lack of information that most probably won't be provided in the final movie.

Evangelion explains everything, but with the audacity to demand you figure it out on your own rather than listen to two characters have a conversation about something they both already know.

Except for the part in EoE where Misato recaps the plot of the series to her steering wheel. I'll give them a mulligan on that one.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Just wanted to point out this info I saw in another thread about Mark.09:

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/745119/What-are-the-Adams/#745119
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/745135/What-are-the-Adams/#745135

It seems an action figure came out and it identifies Mark.09 as:
* "the first Adams' Vessel", implying that there are more?,
* a "Seele Type", confirming it was made by Seele?, and
* that the transformation we saw was "Midway through switching forms", implying that it has a final form we didn't see?

:huh:

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks for the page break Sachi! I love you like I love my obese hamster.

I've actually also considered the idea of SEELE being put into Mark. I think it's a good one, though it certainly can be viewed as a stretch to many. Things that support it are the SEELE mask placed over the Mark's core, while the Mark itself was a full core, Mark's second most prominent attack being a hostile takeover move(where it literally roots itself into it's host), and it just generally being some real strange shit.

If it were SEELE's really last moment staged as an attack, it only makes sense for the Mark unit to have an ability to pass on it's legacy. It came equipped with that ability; it's tendrils took over the Wunder. It had other prominent abilities, sure, but it came with an ability to pass on itself elsewhere. Of course it would. Everything was on the line for SEELE. It's almost certain that they would possess an ability to make a duplicate of themselves in some way on the brink of survival. It's function certainly matches up what we'd expect to see.

Kaworu made a comment: Her[Rei's] soul is elsewhere. Shinjis "interrogation" of Rei alludes to it. What if Rei simply has no soul in her Mark? This way, she can successfully "pilot" one inhabited by SEELE. When Gendou switches off SEELE, we start seeing the oddities about the Mark emerge. This could have been it awakening. Gendou did not expect Rei to develop a soul this early on though, and as humans, when we feel suspicious of ourselves being strictly controlled, one of our learned reflexes is to get scared. Her flight instinct kicked in and she took off. But before then, though she was growing fondly more suspicious, she was still a soulless creature.

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:08 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:If it were SEELE's really last moment staged as an attack, it only makes sense for the Mark unit to have an ability to pass on it's legacy. It came equipped with that ability; it's tendrils took over the Wunder. It had other prominent abilities, sure, but it came with an ability to pass on itself elsewhere. Of course it would. Everything was on the line for SEELE. It's almost certain that they would possess an ability to make a duplicate of themselves in some way on the brink of survival. It's function certainly matches up what we'd expect to see.

Sorry for the bump but you gave me an idea, although highly speculative it could make sense:
what if SEELE literally switched teams? They could have moved on to WILLE’s Wunder software (very possible) because Gendou’s too stubborn and has his own agenda, whereas WILLE might be more suitable now to their final goal. It even makes sense with Keel Lorenz's last speech, it could mean Gendou’s done his part and "now we’ll manipulate the other side bai”.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:06 am

View Original PostFredsq wrote:Sorry for the bump but you gave me an idea, although highly speculative it could make sense:
what if SEELE literally switched teams? They could have moved on to WILLE’s Wunder software (very possible) because Gendou’s too stubborn and has his own agenda, whereas WILLE might be more suitable now to their final goal. It even makes sense with Keel Lorenz's last speech, it could mean Gendou’s done his part and "now we’ll manipulate the other side bai”.
I think they moved onto WILLE's software because they need to fulfill something with the DSS.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”