The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier)

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:10 pm

It's pretty cray. I think this is Kawamori's idea of pacifying the middle east with idols :hahaha:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Official starting date for Delta is April 3:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... l-3/.99569
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Since episode 0.89 of Delta ended on a cliffhanger, it was nice to see more of the ending in episode 1. Which too ended on a cliffhanger.

Ikkenai Borderline though, looped that several times today.

Mods, can the thread title be updated?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Went ahead and saw episode 3 of Macross 7 last night. Until then, I wasn't really feeling this show. Especially with Basara being a loose cannon with his stubbornness in not wanting to play at certain gigs and causing possible fans to either love or hate him when he breaks into song. Fortunately, this episode where the singing in the Valkyrie had a positive effect on the haters and got them loving Fire Bomber was really cool. Also, Max and Milia arguing in a news conference was all sorts of funny.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Macross Delta's good?

Macross Delta is good. Wish I knew how long it was.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:15 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Macross Delta's good?

Macross Delta is good. Wish I knew how long it was.

26 episodes. Though honestly, at this point it feels like it could be wrapped up in 13. I'm assuming there'll be a game-changer of some sort for the second cour, as I have trouble seeing how they can drag the current plotline out for another 16 eps.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Two episodes down, 34 to go in my rewatch of original SDF Macross TV series on DVD! ^_^ Feel like dropping Delta so i can dedicate myself full time to finishing the other show. It just feels like Kawamori doesn't have the magic touch when it comes to making quality Macross TV shows since i found myself dropping Frontier after ep. 5 and his attempt at sparkly female idol groups where the only interesting military pilot character just got offed too early for my taste is red flag territory. Fortunately, he does do movies well since DYRL and Plus movie version are prime examples. Also, it's been over a decade since i first saw Zero so i suppose i should also catch up on that.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Midway through Frontier but haven't had the time to power through and finish it.

Have to rewatch the original Macross in Japanese, but after Zero being alright and enjoying Frontier, really digging Delta, although haven't decided yet which woman of the triangle I'd pick for Hayate.

Lat night though had a dream about Hayate and Freyja at 3rd base. That was unusual. :cringe:
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:50 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Have to rewatch the original Macross in Japanese, but after Zero being alright and enjoying Frontier, really digging Delta, although haven't decided yet which woman of the triangle I'd pick for Hayate.

The simplest route would be for Hayate and Freyja to hook up until her life runs its course, then switch over to Mirage afterwards. Mirage might not be too keen on that, of course, but if you want everyone to win . . . :shrug:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Just watched episode 11 of Delta and it helped me remain committed to seeing it through
SPOILER: Show
with it's delightful memorial service to Messer.
As for Walkure's songs, I wouldn't keep "Ikenai Borderline" on my iPod for too long since it just feels too wacky to be good but "Giraffe Blues" is definitely a wonder to behold.
Last edited by Gus Hanson on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

^That is a huge spoiler you dropped, sure you don't want to note it accordingly? Really liking Giraffe Blues also.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The simplest route would be for Hayate and Freyja to hook up until her life runs its course, then switch over to Mirage afterwards. Mirage might not be too keen on that, of course, but if you want everyone to win . . . :shrug:

Hayate is swinging both ways at this point similar to Alto, but neither woman has done more than drop hints and spend a lot of their time with him. Which he doesn't seem to notice given that Mirage at first couldn't stand him, but now doesn't hang out with anyone else in Delta consistently but him. Or they could go the he is with one woman for a bit, then later changes his mind and switches to the other.

I'm glad the Macross series never went the harem route and the focus of the triangle picked one or the other. Although I consider 7 incomplete in this sense as Basara is married to music and Mylene is still hanging. So a Jenius doesn't win all the time.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Recently caught up with episode 12 of Delta.
Nice calm before the storm type of episode with everyone, especially the triangle, spending quality time talking about what might occur as far as future plans like say a Hayate vs. Mirage Valkyrie rematch duel which I would wager a guess and say Hayate pulls a Max and wins again which leaves Mirage horrified like Milia on their "date" and the romantic situation evolves original Macross homage style. On another character topic, Major Laurie reeks of corruption and I kind of want him to be a future villain since he and Arad don't gel well. If he doesn't end up getting arrested like Leon Mishima, he could get offed Yuna Roma Seiran style.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 am

Saw episode 6 of Frontier a couple days ago. So glad to see the main story of the Frontier vs. Vajra war is picking up speed since till now, we have been mostly on the love triangle which is so far looking like Sheryl has it in the bag. Also, I thought Captain Wilder was completely oblivious to Monica's crush on him but seeing how he playfully interacted with her to her surprise was an amusing scene. That's what I get for not picking up on this series sooner.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Episode 18 of Delta:

While the Protoculture ruins resonating gave off a dazzling visual and having characters from both sides give their take on why they're fighting, I am more of the mindset of just finishing this trainwreck that won't make progress with the triangle from all angles and just concentrates on the pilot and the singer with how they are affecting each other in tons of ways as the battle can attest.

Episode 4 of Seven:

Amusing little entry in which when a group of bodyguards is tasked with protecting Mylene, they really don't take a hint that she just wants to be left alone even if the plot suggests it would be better if she came along with them. Still not much of a triangle here as much as there being a schoolgirl crush on Basara who is indifferent to it and would rather keep annoying the elite soldiers with his singing and I admit, it has to end so if Max says he's taking some action on it, he better deliver.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:49 am

Delta is over. It didn't reach the heights of Frontier or the original Macross but it was still good. There were a couple weak episodes spread throughout the series but the ending was strong enough for me not to care too much about that.
The action remained sadly uninteresting all the way through, although, to be honest, I can't remember if Frontier was any good in this regard either.
The songs were nice, but the instrumental tracks didn't stand out much.

All that talk of lady M led nowhere. My guess is that they're leaving that for another series. I don't think the movies(if there are even movies for Delta) will give any new information.

So yeah, good show. You wouldn't guess that by the reactions on the internet though, there seems to be a ton of people hating Delta.
Maybe the expectations were too high?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:
So yeah, good show. You wouldn't guess that by the reactions on the internet though, there seems to be a ton of people hating Delta.
Maybe the expectations were too high?

Just finished it, didn't hate it at all, but thought it was only ok at best, and maybe a little dull at times at worst. But not as god awfully boring as the 82 tv series "cough" It's biggest fault was that it followed Frontier, which I personally consider to be a God tier Anime. As well, music is an integral aspect of any Macross entry, and Delta's was again, only ok. It felt like there was only 4 songs, and they didn't do much for me, can't even touch F or Plus in that regard, but those are Yoko Kanno shows so it's hardly a fair fight lol.

All that said, I'm really cool with never hearing the "wind prince" doing his castrate wailing ever again, ughhh.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:00 pm

Last time I saw a Delta episode was some months ago and so today I began where I left off with ep. 20. The triangle comes to a head in a dynamic way with Mirage using tough words of encouragement to get Hayate and Freyja out of their respective funks. She even said the L word which usually comes when the show is at the last episode but I also felt that this was a moment of Mirage coming to terms that she's on the losing side of the triangle given how close the other two have become.

As for my personal opinion on Delta as a whole, I still have six episodes to go but I don't hate it as intensely as I would a show like Seven which I just can't seem to get through. And the Walkure soundtrack is a joy to listen to.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Here's my review of Do You Remember Love?.

The animation was pretty ahead of it's time considering it was made in 1984 and so much attention to detail was paid. From the rainbow in Saturn to Hikaru going up stairs to get to Minmay, it was very awesome.

Characters like Global, Claudia, Max, Kakizaki, Milia, and the Bridge Bunnies take a justifiable backseat to the inner workings of the love triangle of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. Hikaru is given equal amounts of quality time with both of them so one really absorbs the suspense of will they, won't they.

I can't possibly review a title like this without going through the performance of the galaxy with Minmay singing "Do You Remember Love". The way the stage is lit up for her moment in the spotlight to it seamlessly synchronizing with the goings on of battles in space and the Microns/Zentraedi/Meltrandi working together to destroy the big bad oozes levels of master craftsmanship that simply weren't found in the TV series version.

Overall, I give the film a 9.5/10 since if it were perfect, the scale would have to go up to 11. :tongue:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm currently watching Macross 7 right now. Care to explain why it gets all the hate it does? I mean. . . Yeah its silly, but no sillier than some of the stuff from the original SDF Macross, or Frontier.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

So sorry I didn't report this when it first came out. Some see it as a Delta continuation while others believe it might finally touch on the Megaroad journey. Can't wait! ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ct/.111595

Return to “Anime and Manga”