The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:51 pm

I don't know if this would be considered a good thing or a bad thing among the fans, but here's this bit of news.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I don't know if this would be considered a good thing or a bad thing among the fans, but here's this bit of news.

Well, it comes with the un-bastardized Japanese show as well, so for $20 that's cool in my books.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Given that Animeigo's subtitled version seems to be OOP, I say props to Harmony Gold for finally making the original available alongside the Robotech version. As much as I now knock the latter, I have to acknowledge it for being my true gateway anime.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Macross is really one of those Anime that is literally Impossible To Dub in English without ruining the experience.

I want to share it with my friends and Family, but that's kind've hard to do when your parents aren't as Media savvy as you. I hope we get a english dub down the line, but having actually seen Macross Frontier, I believe its pretty much impossible to do so. Not without a Herculean effort on Par with Disney's dub for Ghibli films.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm

IT IS HAPPENING NEW MACROSS SERIES ANNOUNCED TOGETHER WITH SINGER AUDITIONS

The official website for the Macross franchise unveiled a new TV anime project tentatively titled Macross Delta (Delta written as Δ) on Sunday.

The project will scout a new singing voice to provide the vocals for a character in the anime with an audition, which can be applied to beginning on December 1. More information about the audition will be unveiled in November. The website features the quote, "The new singing diva who can sway the galaxy of 2067 is you!"

The last television anime in the Macross franchise was Macross Frontier in 2007. The television anime was followed by two feature films. Megumi Nakajima debuted as a voice actress and vocalist after winning the audition to provide the voice for Macross Frontier heroine Ranka Lee.

So, the name. Next Macross will be all about Delta Blues I guess, oh mama! :w00t:

Bring Kanno back again and it'll work out just fine!

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:39 pm

You know, I am feeling that a new Macross series might actually be good for me to watch as it comes to air - I have not actually followed an anime as it came to air before, and it has been some time since I last dipped into Macross so I guess we'll wait and see.

Oh, and it has been a few years since I saw DYRL so I'll be watching the BR rip I got of that sometime after the semester is over. I'll likely follow with a rewatch of the Plus OVA as well, since I have had the DVD set on my shelf for few months now...
Voluntary Illusion.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 am

Oh shit. 90% they'll be using Macek's revision.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/26/829426 ... tures-film

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I am so ridiculously pleased by this news. Robotech has been in a state of depressing stagnation for far too long. Here's to cautious optimism.
Set phasers to thrill.

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:16 pm

While I recognize Robotech's faults, the fact that they made a good show out of what were essentially 3 completely different shows is something to be admired.

Not to mentioned my dad grew me up on the show so it's nice to see Robotech come back.

Macross is better, yes. But Robotech MEANS more to me.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:42 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Oh shit. 90% they'll be using Macek's revision.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/26/829426 ... tures-film

Can this even be shown in Japan without a lawsuit?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:50 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Can this even be shown in Japan without a lawsuit?

As far as I believe, they can't -- Big West (the ultimate IP holder; it got angry at Tatsunoko for basically giving away all rights to Macek, which means by a court decision he -- and now -- his heirs legally owns the entirety of Macross elsewhere but in Japan) and its lawyers are waiting for such an eventuality to come about.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 pm

No Michael Bay directing, please. One of my childhood's iconic shows (TF) was already ruined thanks to his involvement.

And good lord, Frank Agrama is still at HG?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:21 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:As far as I believe, they can't -- Big West (the ultimate IP holder; it got angry at Tatsunoko for basically giving away all rights to Macek, which means by a court decision he -- and now -- his heirs legally owns the entirety of Macross elsewhere but in Japan) and its lawyers are waiting for such an eventuality to come about.

Except, as I understand it, that ownership isn't legal since those rights weren't Tatsunoko's to give. But no one's been willing to go to court to establish that. I'm not sure how, or if, the LAM will have any impact on that situation. But it's bound to be terrible either way.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:50 pm

But wouldn't HG have a trademark for the name Robotech as well as the basic plot Macek crafted and some of the names for various characters and tech (Veritech instead of Valkyrie as one example). With that, a story can be constructed without using anything, design or character wise, from the three anime that comprised the show.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:01 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:No Michael Bay directing, please. One of my childhood's iconic shows (TF) was already ruined thanks to his involvement.

And good lord, Frank Agrama is still at HG?

Last I read, the director of The Mummy, and the first GI Joe movie was connected to the upcoming live action Macross/Robotech movie.

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Except, as I understand it, that ownership isn't legal since those rights weren't Tatsunoko's to give. But no one's been willing to go to court to establish that. I'm not sure how, or if, the LAM will have any impact on that situation. But it's bound to be terrible either way.

Reading this, not going to watch either. By this time the only people not sick of franchise revivals and childhood revisions are the mainland Chinese (and they do pay well as long as their country is represented as they want it).

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat May 16, 2015 11:09 pm

I've hopped back into Macross 7 and now at ep 13. Having an utter blast so far.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat May 30, 2015 5:49 am

Glad to hear you're enjoying it C.A.P. Makes me much less nervous when I get around to watching it myself.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat May 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Go into it expecting a 80s Saturday Morning cartoon. You'll have a happier experience knowing that.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:20 pm

So. . . .How bout that Macross/Robotech movie?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... ech-movie/

Return to “Anime and Manga”