No Happy Ending? Predestination In Rebuild.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:13 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: Why does she see Shinji as a figure of such specific interest before he's done anything other than answer his father's summons?

It's because that's the Rei from the future, after she met Shinji looking back on where Shinji began at the beginning, wanting to see him one last time before her 'death' same thing with Rei appearing over the sea of Red after the end of EOE.

As I said before, it's the theme of predestination and hopelessness. This overwhelming force pushing you to your end, or into a horrible situation whether you desire it or not. You can fight against it all you want, but it will happen.

Shinji was destined to fail, and still is destined to fail. If the vision of Rei hadn't appeared in the first film, then it would debatable if Instrumentality could be prevented or not. But it's not, because if the Vision of Rei happened, then what caused the vision of Rei to stretch over time and space was predestined from the beginning to happen[/twitter]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:It's because that's the Rei from the future, after she met Shinji looking back on where Shinji began at the beginning, wanting to see him one last time before her 'death' same thing with Rei appearing over the sea of Red after the end of EOE.

Well, that's a fan theory, anyway. Nothing in the show says it's true.

Shinji was destined to fail, and still is destined to fail.

. . . but Shinji didn't fail.

If the vision of Rei hadn't appeared in the first film, then it would debatable if Instrumentality could be prevented or not. But it's not, because if the Vision of Rei happened, then what caused the vision of Rei to stretch over time and space was predestined from the beginning to happen

You're begging the question here. You're assuming things in the new movies work the same as they did in NGE (they don't), and further assuming the above theory is correct to begin with (which might not be so). If it is not true that Rei was time traveling or whatever, and that the apparitions were just projections of Lilith because reasons, then there is no predestination to speak of. And that's in NGE -- in the new movies things might easily be completely different, which makes the argument all the more tenuous.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Instrumentality ended up being a positive in EoE with understanding one another in that moment/people being able to return post-3I, so an NTE Instrumentality could have a positive spin, too.

Even 3I in 2.0 was positive internally for Shinji (Rei-2 in Eva-01), despite the negative outcomes (Eva 3.0), compared to the violent start of 3I for Shinji internally in EoE (Asuka strangling).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: . . . but Shinji didn't fail.

Did he PREVENT instrumentality? Which was supposed to be the entire point of everything they had done up to that point? No? Then that ranges on the scale from cataclysmic failure at worst, to Pyrric Victory at best.

You're assuming things in the new movies work the same as they did in NGE (they don't).

If you've got a better explanation for why THIS appeared in the first rebuild film, exactly the same way it did in NGE and again at the end of EOE, that fits in with the mechanics of the Rebuilds I'm willing to hear it.

SPOILER: Show

Even 3I in 2.0 was positive internally for Shinji (Rei-2 in Eva-01), despite the negative outcomes (Eva 3.0),

I don't mean to be rude SSD, I got nothing but love for you. But how can you honestly say that with a straight face? 3.0 wiped away pretty much everything good Shinji did before in the first two movies. Rendering it utterly worthless! I bet he feels a lot better after finding out what his actions in 3.0 did to everyone else!

Haven't you debated this to death with Kendrix?

compared to the violent start of 3I for Shinji internally in EoE (Asuka strangling).

It doesn't matter what triggered it, a positive or a negative thing. The fact is, the Impact still happened, and was predestined by fate to happen regardless of Shinji's actions. He's still destined to be the destroyer of the world and cause the event (or as the case with Rebuild may be events) that results in the vision of Rei materializing at the beginning, and perhaps even that vision of Rei appearing to Rei Q in her tank.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Did he PREVENT instrumentality? Which was supposed to be the entire point of everything they had done up to that point?

No, that wasn't the entire point at all. The point was to stop the Angels, not Seele. Shinji did exactly what he was supposed to do, right up until the end, and he succeeded at every turn. 3I was completely out of his hands.

If you've got a better explanation for why THIS appeared in the first rebuild film, exactly the same way it did in NGE and again at the end of EOE, that fits in with the mechanics of the Rebuilds I'm willing to hear it.

Same reason it did in NGE: Lilith was always watching over humanity, and recognized Shinji's significance due to his connection to his father. Simple as that.

It doesn't matter what triggered it, a positive or a negative thing. The fact is, the Impact still happened, and was predestined by fate to happen regardless of Shinji's actions.

Nope. It happened because Seele made it happen, and for no other reason. There was nothing remotely predestined about it.

He's still destined to be the destroyer of the world and cause the event (or as the case with Rebuild may be events) that results in the vision of Rei materializing at the beginning, and perhaps even that vision of Rei appearing to Rei Q in her tank.

He didn't cause it to happen in NGE, and it's far more likely Gendo will trigger things in Final. Your insistance that Shinji be treated as a tragic figure is utterly at odds with all of the Evangelion works and media we've seen previously.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Same reason it did in NGE: Lilith was always watching over humanity, and recognized Shinji's significance due to his connection to his father. Simple as that.

What does "Lilith watching over humanity" even mean? I'm serious, explain this to me. She's not Omnipresent, she's Rei. Who was MILES away when Shinji saw the vision. How can Rei be omnipresent without something to trigger it, she can't when she's confined to Rei's mortal body. That event being instrumentality.

He didn't cause it to happen in NGE,

"noone understands me. . . so they can all just die."

and it's far more likely Gendo will trigger things in Final.

and who do you think they're going to throw in the robot again the second things go wrong/ get worse than they already are? Who do you think they're going to blame the second things go wrong?

Your insistence that Shinji be treated as a tragic figure is utterly at odds with all of the Evangelion works and media we've seen previously.

Okay. . . HOW exactly is it at odds? It's about normal people facing a force beyond their ability to fight, and ultimately failing to prevent it.

But how can you say Eva is in anyway an optimistic work? It's about an attempt to prevent the end of the world that ultimately fails because the person piloting is unable to handle his responsibility and succumbs to the pressure and the madness.

A few token words of hope at the end don't undo the apocalyptic levels of damage and the fact that they don't actually show anyone aside from Asuka coming back . Really, Eva always seems to undermine itself in that respect. It says 'hope', the characters say hope, even the fans say 'hope' and then shoves so much despair in our faces, shows so much death and nihilism in our faces that it just seems to undermine the message people say the show, the franchise as a whole has.

If you view the whole thing as a Greek Tragedy, it helps alleviate the pain of the characters failures and allows you to understand the themes of the play, divorced from the agony and pain the characters go through.

Why hope for Shinji, or anyone if I'm just going to have more despair shoved in my face? Why hope for Oedipus when you know he's going to blind himself at the end?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:14 pm

'born gonna 'born.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Don't change the fact it fits.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:05 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:What does "Lilith watching over humanity" even mean? I'm serious, explain this to me. She's not Omnipresent, she's Rei.

No, she's Lilith, and the argument is that she is omnipresent. Rei II just didn't know this since she was missing a part of her soul, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen on a subconscious level. There are many things in the show that point to this: Rei's comments on her bond with humanity, the quantum imagery in her room (which doesn't make sense if she can only go quantum with Adam's help; it works far better if it's an ability she already has), the scene with Shinji and Touji following the Bardiel battle, and the apparitions themselves. We know Lilith's power is not connected to her body (because Rei III makes use of it in 24), so there's no reason to think Rei II couldn't have tapped into it. And of course, if Lilith always had that power we don't have to deal with the rather awkward question of why she would magically acquire it after merging with Adam.

"noone understands me. . . so they can all just die."

So what? He still didn't do anything.

Okay. . . HOW exactly is it at odds?

How is it not? The show is not about people facing a force beyond their ability to fight, it's about them wrestling with the hedgehog's dilemma. That's it. That's the whole damn point. Shinji getting a tragic ending shits all over that and makes the whole story a waste of time. It also ignores the fact that Anno has never done a downer ending like you describe. EoTV was an unambiguous, ridiculously positive ending. EoE was ambiguous, but unquestionably full of hope. Sadamoto's manga was a cheat, but certainly a happy ending. Far from inevitable, your scenario doesn't fit Anno's track record at all, and your assessment of what the show is about is waaaaaaaaay off base.

But how can you say Eva is in anyway an optimistic work? It's about an attempt to prevent the end of the world that ultimately fails because the person piloting is unable to handle his responsibility and succumbs to the pressure and the madness.

Uh, no it isn't. It had nothing to do with him, it was all about Lilith and what she was able/willing to do. If Shinji hadn't succumbed Seele would have had the MPEs do the job instead, with the same end result. Shinji was only important in the sense that Rei was listening to him, but what he wanted didn't really matter. And, in fact, he's the reason Instrumentality was undone, meaning that without him we would have gotten a real downer ending. Instead literally everyone gets a do over. How can I call it an optimistic work? How the hell could anyone not? We watch the whole damn cast die and then learn "it's fine, they'll get better." If that's not optimistic I really don't know what is.

A few token words of hope at the end don't undo the apocalyptic levels of damage and the fact that they don't actually show anyone aside from Asuka coming back . Really, Eva always seems to undermine itself in that respect. It says 'hope', the characters say hope, even the fans say 'hope' and then shoves so much despair in our faces, shows so much death and nihilism in our faces that it just seems to undermine the message people say the show, the franchise as a whole has.

Given that most of the fandom hasn't taken it that way I think that's more an issue with your perspective than with the work.

If you view the whole thing as a Greek Tragedy,

But it's so obviously not, on so many levels. The only tragic character in that show (going by the actual meaning of the term) is Asuka. Shinji's more pathos than tragedy, and even that's iffy.

Why hope for Shinji, or anyone if I'm just going to have more despair shoved in my face? Why hope for Oedipus when you know he's going to blind himself at the end?

Because Shinji didn't.
Last edited by Bagheera on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:"noone understands me. . . so they can all just die."

"I don't care if they die" is very different from "I want to kill them all".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:47 pm

If you view the whole thing as a Greek Tragedy, it helps alleviate the pain of the characters failures and allows you to understand the themes of the play, divorced from the agony and pain the characters go through.

There are a ridiculous amount definitions and types of tragedy so I'll talk about it in general. A tragedy is story where the main character never learns his lesson and fails as a result so if their is character development it usually goes from good to bad or bad to worse and if the hero does manage succeed he loses a piece of himself in the process. While Evangelion has elements similar to tragedy Shinji himself is not a tragic hero. From the very beginning of Evangelion Shinji's life is controlled by his character flaws but by the end this is no longer true. If he where a tragic hero he would still be falling victim to his flaws at the very end or lose a piece of himself. On the contrary he actually gains.

In all three endings of Evangelion the Manga, Eotv, & EOE there is the same exact character development happening for Shinji. He goes from being insecure and fearful of people to the point that he tries to avoid pain altogether to a person who understand that the world is scary and painful but will still push forward despite that. So in others words he goes from a person who "runs away" to person who doesn't let his insecurities control him anymore.

Of the three endings all of them have themes of hope and only 1 ends in a way that can easily be interpreted as bleak even though it's still a happy ending.

1)The manga is pretty blatantly hopeful. You even have Shinji himself reaffirm to the reader that he will not run away. On top of that every one is back alive and living happily. Super happy ending.

2) Eotv ends with the cast convincing Shinji he can change and that all the negative things he believes about himself are not necessarily true and he can in fact change for the better; Shinji even doubles check with the cast by asking "are you sure" lol and they're like yeah super sure. Then the congratulation scene follows when he accepts that he can change. That scene is extremely upbeat so even if you have no idea what is going on in EOTV you still get the sense that it is a "Happy Ending" which is. So it is not a coincidence that the viewer is being encouraged to feel that way despite their confusion. And everyone is together and happy. Very happy ending.

3) In EoE yes every one went into instrumentality but the movie makes it very clear that people can return. Your comment almost sounds like you are choosing to just ignore that. You can't just ignore dialogue lol. So literally the movie says "yeah people are in instrumentality but they can come back"(Hope). Then we have Shinji and Asuka whose relationship was plagued by their character flaws. In the EoE finale scene when we see them reconcile, we are getting proof that they have changed for the better. Character development has happened for both of them. So yeah while the immediate circumstances look bad for them at first glance we as an audience know for a fact things will get better because they have over come their "tragic flaws"(hope). So maybe it's not all rainbow and butterflies but Shinji and Asuka are good to go. We don't have to worry about them anymore. They are going to be okay lol. As for the rest of the cast they still have their chance to return.

4) Rebuild: Since we know 3 out of the 4 endings we will have in total are hopeful/happy I don't see how you can think rebuild will just completely ignore the message when the story of Evangelion clearly is a story about Shinji becoming hopeful for the future and facing his fears instead of running away from his fears/people. It's the whole "I mustn't run away" thing.

I think the elevator kiss scene show this Hope theme. In the scene Shinji goes on rant saying a bunch negative things about himself and Misato says "So fucking what!" Then kisses him and then says "I'll be waiting for you after all of this". What Misato is trying to drill into Shinji's head during this scene is exactly what Shinji learns while he is in instrumentality. In instrumentality Shinji realizes that his need to be with people is greater than his need to avoid pain. This is why he choose to leave the safety of instrumentality. Important: He isn't leaving because he won't feel pain again, he is leaving because he acknowledges that he is willing to risk that pain so he can be with others. So in very literal sense Shinji realizes "Yeah people suck and they might hurt me but I still want to be with people, so, so fucking what if there is pain. I'm still going to push forward till I find what I'm looking for. I'm not gonna let the fear of pain control me anymore."(This is hope, the opposite of fear/despair)

Frankly you could even equate instrumentality with suicide since Shinji uses instrumentality as way to stop feeling pain the way people use suicide(killing youself is like choosing not to exist). Taking all of this in to account it is very likely that Shinji/Anno are against Suicide because according to the NGE our need to be with others out weights our need to avoid pain. And people who think otherwise are just confused and/or mistaken the way Shinji and Asuka are right before they learn their "lessons". The mistake being the assumption our need to avoid pain is greater then our need to be with others. See like this is super hopeful story lol. Shinji himself is must be an optimist by the very end otherwise he would never have left instrumentality or had his congratulation scene. I guess this is my opinion but you will need a much stronger argument if you are going to claim that NGE and rebuild 4 is about nihilism/despair. If predeterminism is an important theme in NGE then it looks like it most likely means a happy ending is inedible.
Last edited by zlink64 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

nostalgic_beer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nostalgic_beer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 am

Instead literally everyone gets a do over. (...) We watch the whole damn cast die and then learn "it's fine, they'll get better." If that's not optimistic I really don't know what is.

In EoE yes every one went into instrumentality but the movie makes it very clear that people can return.

Not only this is optmistic in EoE, it made me happy.

So, you must regain your own lost form by your own volition.
Even if it means your words become lost...
or confused with the words of others.
Anyone can return to human form...
as long as they are able to imagine themselves within their own heart.
Don't worry.
All living creatures have the power to be brought back to life...

and the will to go on living.
Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live.
After all, you are alive,
so you will always have the chance to be happy.
As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist,
everything will be alright.

This is far from a "tragic ending": this is hope.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 am

^
Keep in mind the person saying this is likely unhinged and is making this speech on her way the hell off of the planet. Kinda gotta take it with a grain of salt since this catastrophe was apparently her plan from the beginning.

Bagheera wrote:EoE was ambiguous, but unquestionably full of hope.

There are thousands of posts on this forum in dozens of threads that would suggest otherwise.

zlink64 wrote:In EoE yes every one went into instrumentality but the movie makes it very clear that people can return. Your comment almost sounds like you are choosing to just ignore that. You can't just ignore dialogue lol.

Nobody is ignoring it; some just interpret it as possibility rather than an inevitability, as "people CAN return" rather than "people WILL return". And who is to say that it's going to be the same people, or that it's going to happen within Shinji's lifetime? For all we know we're looking at a complete reboot of the FAR's programed evolutionary process on a planetary scale.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Keep in mind the person saying this is likely unhinged and is making this speech on her way the hell off of the planet. Kinda gotta take it with a grain of salt since this catastrophe was apparently her plan from the beginning.

From a 'conservation of detail in fiction' perspective, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that these lines were given to Yui just so that they could be dismissed because "lol yui crazy". (If you're going to do this, at least be consistent and dismiss everything she says, not just the stuff you don't like. Hey, who needs the script when you can call a character batty and make up whatever you want!)

For all we know we're looking at a complete reboot of the FAR's programed evolutionary process on a planetary scale.

Where in the world are you getting this from?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:45 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:From a 'conservation of detail in fiction' perspective

Ha! You know I have no such perspective. She doesn't have to actually be right for the line to not be worth saying... even from a dismissive view it tells us about her mindset that drove this plan to fruition, how she rationalizes it as acceptable, and hints at what might happen to her.

Where in the world are you getting this from?

It's a wild guess based on a combination of two factors. First, that seems to be what seeds were meant to do so it isn't a longshot to assume she just did it again. Second, the shifting backgrounds during the 'people can come back' talk can be seen as showing the entire process starting over, eventually leading to another crop of humans in cities but not necessarilly the same ones who just got tanged.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

nostalgic_beer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nostalgic_beer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:20 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Second, the shifting backgrounds during the 'people can come back' talk can be seen as showing the entire process starting over, eventually leading to another crop of humans in cities but not necessarilly the same ones who just got tanged.

A.T.Fields are "the barrier of the heart that everybody has."

And we have

Anyone can return to human form...
as long as they are able to imagine themselves within their own heart.
Don't worry.
All living creatures have the power to be brought back to life...

I do think it is possible to think about your theory "process is starting over", but in my opinion the idea of coming back is stronger.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 am

NemZ, I think you may be guilty of interpreting Yui's lines in a vacuum away from their context. She's speaking as part of a unit with Rei and Kaworu. In fact, she's prompted by Rei saying, "Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves in their own heart." The script matters, dude.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 am

I think this boils down to me seeing EoE through the warped lens of EoTV rather than the other way around. In context this is essentially a truncated version of the 'world of perfect freedom' speech... but this time nobody is waiting to congratulate him at the end and the overall tone is one of melancholy resignation rather than triumphant self-assertion.

I'm well aware of the full context though, I assure you. Rei and Kaworu are mostly telling Shinji how to get back, though it's all conditional or vague. It's a sidenote that that the planet will recover, but they don't say how or in what timeframe. Yui's hopeful nothings are so nonspecific that it sounds as if mere existence in any situation at all would quality on her scale, and frankly it sounds to me like she's actually concerned primarily with assuring him that she will be fine then with giving him generally useless advice.

Side note however since you made me open up my copy of the script... Noticed this interesting little nugget:

Rei:
And new images will change peoples' hearts and appearances.
Images... the power of imagination... The power to create your own future, and to make time flow.

If one were so inclined that could be read as alluding to Rei very much preparing to go mucking about in various timelines.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:22 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:^
Keep in mind the person saying this is likely unhinged and is making this speech on her way the hell off of the planet. Kinda gotta take it with a grain of salt since this catastrophe was apparently her plan from the beginning.

That's kinda bullshit, man, particularly since Rei and Kaworu back her up.

There are thousands of posts on this forum in dozens of threads that would suggest otherwise.

Well, yes, Stillborn posts a bunch, but so what? That doesn't change the actual text of the show.

Nobody is ignoring it; some just interpret it as possibility rather than an inevitability, as "people CAN return" rather than "people WILL return".

Asuka says "Hi!"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”