What anime are you watching right now? 2H15 to 1H16

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm

^Seen the original OAV that was truncated?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:07 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:^Seen the original OAV that was truncated?

No, never got around to it. Really digging the new show, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Prison School episode 1

The fanservice is great and all but most of the characters have few redeemable qualities about them with the majority of the boys being more than somewhat masochistic about their treatment by the females, the one ray of hope being the protagonist. Ends on a cliffhanger that will predictably be treated as another mishap in the beginning of episode 2 but I could be wrong.

Ranma 1/2 episode 10

Akane Tendo has to be the densest girl on the planet to not notice the P-Chan/Ryoga connection and unfortunately, it'll stay that way for the rest of the series knowing what I know of past experience watching the mythos. Fanservice is 50/50 this time due to the rich family subplot having unnecessary bath time compared to the wonderful Ranma-chan displaying her assets in the bath.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:17 am

Posted my thoughts on Macross Zero in the Macross thread. To sum it up in one sentence, it's yet another gem in the franchise that showcases on how strong it truly is.

Let's see if I think the same after Macross II.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Let it never happen again. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Wait a minute, why didn't Shokugeki No Soma air last week? It wasn't a holiday.

Broadcast Date: July 10, 2015 (Friday)

Broadcast time: 26: 25 ~ 26: 55 → 27: 25 ~ 27: [Press 60 minutes] 55

The reason: 24: 20-26: 20, “volleyball World Grand Prix” for the organization

... Sooo, a live sporting event with 3D women delayed the showing of my Sports anime featuring 2D girls with big breats and skimpy outfits?

Japan, I worry about you. *Clearly* your prorities are all mixed up.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Saw the last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. I never thought this day would happen, but it did.

Boy, it was not worth it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 pm

You'll always have the original series.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:59 am

Just started watching Asobi ni Iku Yo, and I already love it. So far I've seen the OVA and the first episode, and they are equal parts sexy and hilarious. I've been looking for another ecchi anime similar to Rio: Rainbow Gate, and I think I've found it. I'm usually not into catgirls, but after I finish this I might have to add one or two to my harem. Major props to the creators as well for not making the male protagonist an annoying moron.
[Redacted]

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 am

Watched episode 3 of Aquarion Logos last night. Apuesto a mil pesos que Kokone goes to Sougon's side after getting tired of Akira and Maia's supposed flirtations. :shifty:

Now i watched Please Teacher episode 1. Been years since i seen it and the cel animation still holds up for being a near 15 year old anime. ^_^

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:02 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Saw the last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. I never thought this day would happen, but it did.

Boy, it was not worth it.

I hate to say it, but I'm not terribly surprised. I had a bad feeling about it from day 1.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:46 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Hey, there’s always School Days
View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'll pass, thanks. :uhh:

Well, if you know me at all, you'll understand that I don't like to leave things unresolved... A little research on School Days showed me that it divides opinion more widely than most shows. I found that reviews of it are more varied than those for almost any other series; The Nihon Review has no less than three separate reviews of it with scores of 4, 6, and 8 (out of 10), while Them Anime Reviews gives it its minimum one star. So obviously I had no choice but to watch it myself, which curiously I did not regret. I now understand the variation in the reviews quite well; it's not easy to judge. My conclusion is that it's often misunderstood, and I think it is subverting itself so hard that some people just don't get it.

There are many kinds of lies; but the worst, in the end, are those you tell yourself. A collective madness engulfs pretty much the entire cast by the last couple of episodes, but it is their lies to themselves that lead to the ultimate tragedy for each of them. Of those main players it is Makoto Itou, in spite of the bad press he gets, whose lies are the ones least motivated by malice, or at least a desire to manipulate; that doesn't help him, though. Yes, he is weak and indecisive - but are we all as strong as we like to think? Remember that the girls are all after him because he is perceived as a good guy, and we are told this repeatedly.

Anyway, people who start this looking for a SoL high-school harem anime are rather in the same position as those who start Evangelion hoping for a giant robot show; they will discover in time how wrong they were. And by the end realism has long gone out of the window; but that's not the point - the extremity of what happens is just a way of getting across the message of the damage that can be done by lies. Of course, I'm not pretending this is at the level of Eva; but it's a good solid show none the less - mostly. Some details let it down: The first few episodes are somewhat undistinctive, for instance; I hated the post-credits ending, as well - floating into the sea at the end was quite enough, and like EoE didn't attempt to sugar-coat anything. And I loved the music - nine EDs in 12 episodes!

I haven't watched the OVAs, and I'm not sure I want to. My understanding is that they follow different paths from the VN, and so don't really tie in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Ok look here is the main difference between eva and school days, school days is a generic piece of shit even by harem standards up till the last episode where it TRIES to get deep and meaningful, eva is already entertaining but starts subverting and analysing tropes as early as the third angel.
And it goes deep into its characters right from the get go.

All school days has going for it is well...........nice boat.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:generic
Given quite how legendarily inept the average harem protagonist is, one, like Makoto, who actually beds the girls, is by no means generic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 pm

@Pwhodges

YOU ACTUALLY WATCHED IT!? :gasp:

You poor man!

I think this'll help you clarify Public Opinion on School Days.

Best Podtaku Moment EVER! (Explicit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHFkjh2NBU

Podtaku wrote:GR: This is why I ragequit! Because I LOVE Romance plotlines so much, and then this IDIOT is just ruining it for everyone!

Holden: It was a bad Hentai . . . without the Hentai!

GR: I think if it had Hentai aspects, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Gigguk: It took the audience opinion "Just F*ck her" and just went to the next level with it! He LITERALLY F*cks his problems!

MasakoX (TFS Abridged) Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrbjPPJw7e4

= = =

I heard the director . . . intended this to be a deconstruction of the Harem genre, by actually having the male audience expy actually gets what he wants, namely loads of sex with all the characters. But I'm fairly certain he was just doing damage control.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:55 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:YOU ACTUALLY WATCHED IT!?

Have you, or are you relying on received opinion?

Best Podtaku Moment EVER!

One has such confidence in an assessment that includes the line: "I had no idea what the hell was happening!"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:14 pm

This is why I ignore podcasts, and internet personalities generally, like the plague.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Finished Macross II a while ago and posted my thoughts in the Macross thread. Bottom line, not the franchise at its' purest, but it's unique enough for me to recommend it to someone who wants to watch it.

And with that, my Macross journey is over. Now to ponder what other franchise I should jump into.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:20 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is why I ignore podcasts, and internet personalities generally, like the plague.

Hey come on now, podtaku does have a few actual anime reviewers in there and arkada has done a more in length review on why he thinks school days is pure shit so its not like they have 0 idea what they are talking about here.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:42 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Have you, or are you relying on received opinion?

If I have watched it, I'll never admit to having watched it. That's all I'm saying about it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I completely understand avoiding shows that have a terrible rep, but I honestly can't see why someone would talk about them after admitting they haven't seen them. It just makes you look like a fool.

Return to “Old Stickies”