2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
lilblacktombo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lilblacktombo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 am

Are we expecting the bluray timing to be pretty much the same as the DVD?

Oh why am I even asking this, if they're off at all somebody here will have them fixed within minutes, you guys are great :-)

edit- lol my question was answered last page anyway

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:Subs will be "done" later this morning. As far as releasing, I want to double check the timings with my disc when (if) it gets here today. Just pray that the driver is late leaving the local destination facility. ETA still says 10:30 AM so there may be hope.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 25, 2010 11:38 am

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:I'm polishing them up. Ornette used an older version of the file I had. I took translations from both that official script and our script and combined them a while ago.

EDIT: Ornette also is missing all the technobabble I originally translated

Yeah, I had an older version of your .ass file. I tried looking through the thread to find the most recent but couldn't find it. Hope it's not going to be too much of a pain in the ass to merge the new timings to the better translation.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm

View Original Postpvthong wrote:It isn't fixed in the Ornette version:
Dialogue: 0,0:31:55.75,0:32:26.56,eva-2

NaveryW wrote:It's an old scene that was already translated, but was apparently left out somehow.

Um, what? O_o It's been on the wiki translation page all along.

Okay, so: Do I work on the translation for the wiki pages, or no? Reichu or nobody else responded to my post. I know awhile ago Reichu said she wanted the Evageeks translation to be a specific way (No caps for Nerv/Seele, honorifics in-tact, text for the Film title/To be continued/Preview left int-tact, probably other things I'm forgetting) so I kinda need to know whether or not that's still the case; or if Squall's take on things is acceptable instead.

There are little things here and there that would need to be changed onto the translation page anyway, either adding in more dialogue (from the 2.22 scenes) or fixing some of the inconsistencies that happened with the camrip translation. Honorifics or lackthereof as well as caps for Nerv and NERV and such were used interchangeably from what I recall, which just makes things look unprofessional. Uniformity AND accuracy is the way to go if we want our fansub to be professional and taken seriously, otherwise why bother translating at all?

I'm gonna fix and add things to the wiki translation pages at any rate, but knowing whether or not it's a waste of my seriously limited free time--if the pages won't even be used for subtitles in the end--is helpful.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I know awhile ago Reichu said she wanted the Evageeks translation to be a specific way (No caps for Nerv/Seele, honorifics in-tact, text for the Film title/To be continued/Prevew left int-tact, probably other things I'm forgetting)

Wellllll... There were some things I wouldn't have minded seeing tweaked, in any event...

I didn't respond to your post because I have no idea what's going on. Are efforts totally decentralized again? Is squall doing his own thing? Is the Wiki page effectively abandoned? I just have no idea. I'm out of the loop.

I can't really think about seriously tackling the subs again until I know what the heck is going on.

BTW, the translated version of the Japanese title isn't appearing for me (around 5:46).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 pm

In that case, I'll work on the translation pages bit by bit and drop a line when it's complete so you (and whoever else) can look it over.

Reichu wrote:I just have no idea. I'm out of the loop.

Heh, I'm as out of the loop as you. I know Ornette said he hasn't been using that wiki page, but maybe he wouldn't mind going off of it provided it has some major work done first.

lolzly: I think I might add your translations for the new scenes as a "placeholder" and possibly tweak some things accordingly (I don't think anything major because glancing at what you have compared to the Japanese, things look pretty good). Would you be alright with that? You'd be listed in the translation credits section for your help.

EDIT: Apparently the wiki page has been rendered useless. So never mind, I guess.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm

[15:01:19] <TMBounty_Hunter> are these the latest subs? http://www.evageeks.org/ornette_tmp/evangelion_2.22_english.ass <------- needed a 2.54 second shift forward to match the BD

No idea if that's the latest subs, but there's a few timing issues left here and there after the main shift.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Here is a copy of the subs I have now.

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs.ass

I took the best of both versions we have, fixed the timing (I think), and inserted the additional lines (I think). My Blu-ray arrived on time and I'm still waiting for stream extraction to complete. When that's done, I'll double check the timings and lines.

Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: I know I missed the Acheron -> Akron. I'll fix it later though.

lolzly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lolzly » Tue May 25, 2010 3:10 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:No idea if that's the latest subs, but there's a few timing issues left here and there after the main shift.

Yes, I had to manually delay large chunks of lines for my subtitles. They're mostly okay now. I think it has to do with differences in scene length and various retakes from the theatrical version. I'm going off of the actual Japanese DVD, so just my two cents.

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:Here is a copy of the subs I have now.

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs.ass

I took the best of both versions we have, fixed the timing (I think), and inserted the additional lines (I think). My Blu-ray arrived on time and I'm still waiting for stream extraction to complete. When that's done, I'll double check the timings and lines.

Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: I know I missed the Acheron -> Akron. I'll fix it later though.

Like TMBounty_Hunter said, timing towards the end need some tweaking.
KOI!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Squall: Should the subs work for an eventual 720 BD as well? What about the DVD ANI-SUB rip?

Also: Should I at least fix the Translation thread as a means of having a 2.22 script available for people, or no? Ornette seemed to think this was a good idea...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 25, 2010 3:27 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:I know I missed the Acheron -> Akron. I'll fix it later though.

The English dialogue from the opening scene has received a few tweaks in the latest Ornette version. Make sure you don't miss any of them?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 5:30 pm

squall: Which translation is being used?

For instance, this example which the subtitles: Just die already!{Now hurry up and die!}

Are the things in the { } section less accurate somehow?

One example for whatever it's worth, Rei just saying stuff about being "warm" around Shinji, nothing about "warm and fuzzy".

I'm sorta confused because you seem to be doing your own thing, so if you could at least clarify where you got the new translations from, that'd be great, thanks.

EDIT: Is the Q Preview subbed? I didn't see it in the sub file.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue May 25, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm

The translations within braces are notes or previous versions of translation. The two sources I am using are the one you, me, reichu, et.al translated and the "official" file ChTuLu (or whaterver) uploaded. I took the best out of each one and combined them. I did this a long time ago and just never uploaded it. I'm only now going back to fix up inconsistencies which you previously mentioned and timings.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 25, 2010 5:55 pm

squall: So you're the subtitle steward, basically?

Given the right mood* I wouldn't mind doing editorial work on the subs, but I need to make sure I would be doing so in a manner that's coordinated with whatever else is going on. Right now I don't have a concrete idea of what you're currently doing to the subs and what you're planning to do next.

*My attention span comes and goes like the wind, so I'm asking in the event that it... er... comes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Squall: Okay, sounds good. :asuka_thumbsup: (You and Reichu working on the subs together would be good too, but that's just my two cents.)

Don't forget about the tweaks by Ornette, too. And if you're using the 2.22 scenes from lolzly's translation, he should probably be credited I think (if he's not yet).

Oh, and apparently there are timing problems with your subs where it's 2.5 seconds off from the BD rip or some such thing. I don't have a copy of the film yet so I can't say.

Finally: I didn't notice the 3.0/Q Preview in the sub file...are they missing, or...?

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue May 25, 2010 8:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Squall: Okay, sounds good. :asuka_thumbsup: (You and Reichu working on the subs together would be good too, but that's just my two cents.)

Don't forget about the tweaks by Ornette, too. And if you're using the 2.22 scenes from lolzly's translation, he should probably be credited I think (if he's not yet).

Oh, and apparently there are timing problems with your subs where it's 2.5 seconds off from the BD rip or some such thing. I don't have a copy of the film yet so I can't say.

Finally: I didn't notice the 3.0/Q Preview in the sub file...are they missing, or...?

I haven't forgotten any of those. As for 3.0 Preview, I'm looking right at it.

As for timings, it actually goes in and out of sync positively and negatively. So I have to go in and retime some lines like lolzy said. I got the 2.22 timings originally from Ornette.

As video goes, 1080p takes forever to encode on my PC (i want a 1090T -.-). I estimate it will finish Saturday evening. Since I work that day, don't expect anything until Sunday.

lilblacktombo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lilblacktombo » Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Confirming that the latest subs file is out of sync with the bluray (fast by 2-3 seconds at the beginning). Good luck with the retiming!!

pvthong
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pvthong » Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Is the latest sub file from squall good to use with the ANISAB DVD rip timing wise?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 pm

SSD seconds this question. :hide:

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 pm

View Original Postpvthong wrote:Is the latest sub file from squall good to use with the ANISAB DVD rip timing wise?

Yes, in fact I just finished watching it with squall's subs. Timing is great.

On a side note, I really wish the lyrics were in these subs... They were in these old camrip ones. http://roe2wade.command-q.org/

pvthong
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pvthong » Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Squall: as there is timing difference between the bd rip and the dvd rip can you rename your subs files? As you will retime the subs for the bd rip please keep the present one under a new name for the dvd rip.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”