2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 am

Ok, so who do I thank for the .ass file?

a lot of re-writes. I know where your comming from, though, I translated one or two movies myself.
Not who you think I am.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Thu May 27, 2010 4:27 pm

I´m sure this question has been already answered in this topic but im having a hard time using the search function....

Whatta hell does Asuka calls Rei in the movie? I can´t stop lissening to: "ekohiki.... ecoheek ecogeek/ecofreak"... does ecohiki means really "PET"?

I'am translating your subs for a quick V1 in my mother language, PT-BR, i've studied 2 years of Japanese but not enough to translate without a english base subs

Thanx for the attention!

EDIT: I´ve lissened some more times the term, and i noticed is a double "i" so it stands for eco hiiki... i tried google for eco-hiiki and it comes few results meaning "eco-favor", im thinking on translating it in my language as "eco-chata" a recurring term that means something like "eco-annoying", i know the original therm isn´t pejorative but the way Asuka says are obviusly with that intention, so what u guys have to say about this translation?

Cheers.
Last edited by sephirotic on Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:I´m sure this question has been already answered in this topic but im having a hard time using the search function....

Whatta hell does Asuka calls Rei in the movie? I can´t stop lissening to: "ekohiki.... ecoheek ecogeek/ecofreak"... does ecohiki means really "PET"?

I'am translating your subs for a quick V1 in my mother language, PT-BR, i've studied 2 years of Japanese but not enough to translate without a english base subs.

Thanx for the attention!

According to my dictionary, it means "favorite"
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:According to my dictionary, it means "favorite"

hiiki is favorite right? not "eko" + "hiiki".

If that is right then eco-hiiki could mean "someone who favors nature/ecology", like the translation i found.

Anyway thanks for the quick post!

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:hiiki is favorite right? not "eko" + "hiiki".

If that is right then eco-hiiki could mean "someone who favors nature/ecology", like the translation i found.

Anyway thanks for the quick post!

No, actually: Ekohiiki means "favouritism, partiality"

Asuka's saying that Rei is the favorite.

EDIT: Scanned the dictionary page

for the non portuguese speakers:
Eko(hiiki): Partiality, favoritism, prejudice, tendency, discrimination, nepotism

EDIT AGAIN: Eko and Hiiki, each of them alone mean favouritism, so having them together, I guess it means Rei is too much favorite :lol:
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu May 27, 2010 6:58 pm

It is usually written in hiragana as えこひいき. I looked it up and it literally means "favortism". We have debated this in depth a while ago. Asuka uses the word as a noun in a derogatory fashion when addressing Rei. Since Rei is Gendo's favorite, I/we have decided to translate it as "pet" hinting that Rei is Gendo's pet. At the childrens' age, 14, a lot of middle school children are jealous of the teacher's pet. Teacher's pet=Commander's pet. Same difference.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanx for the replies, it makes me wonder if that couldnt have two meanings with the same sound? Take a look at this:

http://www.eco-hiiki.net/

I read the image u scanned two times, only in the second i realized it was in portuguese, then i saw ur signature that you are from portugal!

Queria postar com mais freqüência e debater no fórum, mas fiquei fora desde quadno me cadastrei porque queria fugir dos spoilers do segundo filme (me recusei a ver o camrip, só me restou esperar =/)

Mas agora estamos aí! o;

De qualquer forma, bom ver um companheiro de lingua portuguesa por aqui! Abraços ;-)

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Thu May 27, 2010 9:10 pm

So are the subs completed yet? Can we have a new topic once they are because this topic has become incomprehensible 0_o

Edit: I guess I should add thanks and keep up the good work you kind kind folks. :thumbsup:
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Retimed subs will be out on Sunday. Till then, use these.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu May 27, 2010 11:26 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:Take a look at this:

Off topic, but lol, I favor "Eco" products too :tonguehang:

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 am

(オペレーター)
現在 目標の軌道の計算中
(genzai, mokuhyou no kidou no keisan juu)
野辺山の追尾電波 観測誤差。。。
(nobeyama no tsuibi denpa, kansoku gosa...)

Some one give me a hand here, please. I have these lines synced to the audio (starts at 0:32:50.65), but it doesn't even sound like that's what she's saying. Should I just leave the line as follows?

(Operator)
Calculating target trajectory.
Input variables are...

To me, the first line is correct as it is, but the second line is "written" like "Nobeyama's pervious transmission reports observational errors...". So confused... :headdesk:

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Fri May 28, 2010 4:08 am

Don't know any rewording, but that would make sense, because the next line Misato says is roughly, we can't rely on anything to help up you need to use your best judgement to catch it. It sounds like they were using the Nobeyama radio observatory to monitor the angel in orbit but that the angel was interferring with the signal making it unrelyable,

would something like

Nobeyama is reporting observational errors in their previous transmission.

or something like

Calculating target trajectory.
[We are] Reporting observational errors in Nobeyama's previous transmission.

(Telling eva's to get ready blah blah blah)

Secondary data won't be reliable, so it's up to each of you to make your own judgments. (after realizing that the angel was interfering with the radio observatory making it's trajectory impossible to predict)

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 am

Alright, I got it now. The line is actually split between two operators; one on the right channel (which I have Aegisub defaulted to), and one on the left channel.

The last part gets cut off, but it sounds like "observational errors plus 10 degrees/points", but I can't quite make out that last word. 10 degrees at 20,000 meters would give the Evas about a 3,500 meter radius, which makes sense.

EDIT: Oh my God... Pass-1 just completed 30 minutes ago and now Pass-2 is rendering at twice the speed. x264 might beat me!

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Fri May 28, 2010 12:27 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:Thanx for the replies, it makes me wonder if that couldnt have two meanings with the same sound? Take a look at this:

I read the image u scanned two times, only in the second i realized it was in portuguese, then i saw ur signature that you are from portugal!

Queria postar com mais freqüência e debater no fórum, mas fiquei fora desde quadno me cadastrei porque queria fugir dos spoilers do segundo filme (me recusei a ver o camrip, só me restou esperar =/)

Mas agora estamos aí! o;

De qualquer forma, bom ver um companheiro de lingua portuguesa por aqui! Abraços ;-)

Nice to see a mother tongue speaker too ^^

As for ekohiiki, I think it fits better Asuka's character saying Rei's the favorite... in my original NGE subs, Asuka calls her favorite too, but not with that word...
Quotes:

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 am

Adding
Dialogue: 0,0:46:05.49,0:46:14.50,eva-2,,0000,0000,0000,,Three minutes before beginning LCL draining.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am

Dialogue: 0,0:17:43.15,0:17:44.89,eva-2,Asuka,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}{\an8}This is why I hate boys!{だから男の子って、嫌いなのよ}

Dialogue: 0,0:46:09.43,0:46:11.61,eva-2,,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}LCL drainage beginning in 3 minutes.{LCL排水開始三分まい}

I already got that one and a number of others that slipped through the cracks. Subs are almost ready. If anyone wants to go to my work for me tonight I might have them ready early ^_^. Oh wait, no one wants to do that. I hate my job...
Last edited by squall.leonhart on Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 am

That's awesome, I can't wait, I'm in the final stages of finishing my dvd. I'll have to go through the new file when it's released and find the new lines so I don't have to mess with retiming mine again.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat May 29, 2010 11:02 am

Dialogue: 0,1:06:07.23,1:06:08.82,eva-2,,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}{The sixth *** maintainance check complete.}

Anyone want to tell me what he says here?

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Sat May 29, 2010 11:40 am

I hope so.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat May 29, 2010 11:45 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:Retimed subs will be out on Sunday. Till then, use these.

^Those are timed to the BD rip and have new scenes translated.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”