Evangelion Fan Art [ 6/23/2004 - 7/8/2011 ]

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:"YOU WON'T EVEN HOLD M--" *hug*

"It's OK, Asuka."

Thanks, brothers. :)

Instead of using some Photoshop technique, I found a program called AndreaMosaic, which, although it may look simple, it takes a collection of pictures as tiles, and then you load the picture of your choice, before tweaking a few settings, and the algorithm will generate a genuine photomosaic.

Nightweaver20xx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Nightweaver20xx » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:56 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:Then I looked elsewhere and noticed her arm. Now, I know (or have understood) that you are making artistic point in your style of steering away from the anorectic style of Sadamoto (and most other evangelion fanartists+doujinkas) and I respect that choice. I really do. However, I think... you are sometimes overdoing it a bit, especially when it comes to the way you draw arms. It's not too bad, but I still felt I want to mention it. I still like that picture very much, though. That face... :blush:

If I may, I'd like to give my own critique of this image, since it's very direct and easy to read. Certainly no offense is intended here: I'm trying to help.

There are three things that stand out as far as critiques of this particular image: 1. Asuka's left wrist, 2. the ears, and 3. Shinji's shoulders. First off, her wrist is too thick, and if you examine how far you can bend your entire palm away from your thumb, you'll see that position would be nearly impossible to hold for more than a second unless your hand was broken.

The way you draw ears still bothers me a bit; as someone else said earlier, they look too flat. Feel the inside of your ear: there's really two parts of it. There's an interior "cup" which channels sound, and the outer rim which encircles the edge of that cupped portion. The cup is much deeper than the rim, and in a lot of art, is shaded much darker because it's often in shadow.

Finally, the shoulders look fairly boneless. Humans are pointy creatures; we've got hard bone close to the surface at almost every joint. Males, especially, show this, and females do in the hips, if they're even a bit skinny. The problem with trying to soften the body contours at every angle is you end up often with a "doughy" person who doesn't appear to have any bones. Most of your figures suffer from varying amounts of this problem, and it isn't something that is unlearned quickly. Practice drawing from photos and from real life; there's no subsitute for the real thing, even if it's yourself.

You certainly put a lot of emotion into your art, and you're very obviously a deep Eva fan, GC. I want to see you do well, even better than you're doing now. And that will come with time and effort. You're closing in on a really attractive style... it's almost there. It just needs a bit of polish and some elbow grease. Believe me, I know how hard comics are, and how tough the human form is. I suffered through four years of drawing both endlessly in college. So keep at it.
"The tranquil angel's thesis has ended, so now it is beginning/ Clinging tightly to the life you protect/ You will receive an answer from that dream~
--Epilogue of Evangelion

The story is never over as long as humans can still love one another.

[url]http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Nightweaver20xx[/url]

GrummanCat
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GrummanCat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:29 am

I'll grant you the wrist and ears, but I feel like I want Shinji's shoulder where it is, and I personally like the way Asuka's arm came out. In my flawed opinion anyway. What bugs me about the wrist is the way the foreshortening line cuts down like that. I think it should cut sideways to the right and up a little to show the pivot action of her hand. And yes, maybe the forearm is a bit too thick where it meets the hand.
PLEASE check out my alt-universe EVA fan comic "EVA-303"!
https://eva-303.blogspot.com/

https://www.deviantart.com/eva-303

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 am

Your art has been improving a lot lately! Keep up the good work! :D
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:37 am

personally, i feel that the way you draw faces could use a little work. next to that, everything's been said. good work anyway.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm

View Original PostGrummanCat wrote:What bugs me about the wrist is the way the foreshortening line cuts down like that. I think it should cut sideways to the right and up a little to show the pivot action of her hand. And yes, maybe the forearm is a bit too thick where it meets the hand.
I think the best would be to just shorten that line a bit, if not completely. I'd also say the arm would have to be thinner there for a "proper" fix, but I guess that would be harder to do now.
The knuckles also don't seem to line up quite properly. I'd say omit at least the first one (from the thumb on), if not all - they wouldn't be all too prominent from this angle anyway.

I've got to say though, this is a case of "can't unsee" - if others hadn't mentioned, I probably wouldn't even have noticed. XD
'Cause overall, I like it a lot.

While Sunday would be a bit early for me, it's looking good for AcL3 to meet the aimed start-date of "around christmas". The first pages are sketched, and inking has started. :D
[URL=http://img821.imageshack.us/i/94777845.jpg/]Image[/URL] [URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/26983425.jpg/]Image[/URL]

GrummanCat
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GrummanCat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:04 pm

YAY! Looks cute, Jimmy! Adult Asuka is very... pretty! :w00t:

I never got around to saying this, but I read what you've done with the comic and I really like it. It's got a lot of cute but genuine laughs in it which honestly made me chuckle. I especially liked where Aki-chan tries to let PenPen 'fly'.

So you ink the entire page before scanning it? What size of pages do you draw on. Oversize scanner?? I gave up early on trying to squeeze everything into a 8.5X11 page and instead I draw each individual panel on a full sheet of paper. Then scan, shade and edit onto a 'page' on the computer.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:21 pm

View Original PostGrummanCat wrote:So you ink the entire page before scanning it? What size of pages do you draw on. Oversize scanner?? I gave up early on trying to squeeze everything into a 8.5X11 page and instead I draw each individual panel on a full sheet of paper. Then scan, shade and edit onto a 'page' on the computer.

I'm not scanning at all, I'm drawing right on the PC with a tablet. My steps are script (where I already vaguely separate the panels), very rough sketch/storyboard to define the layout, the detailed sketch as seen above, then inking, toning, etc.

There was only one page I did on paper: http://jimmywolk.studenten-froendenberg.de/eng/aki.php?browse.1.7
And the squeezing was pretty much the reason I never did it again, with the lines getting much to thick in comparison. I have to admit though, doing every pic individually to solve that problem never really occurred to me. Probably because, when I started, I didn't plan it out all that much and just did each page "intuitively".

And even now that I do plan the entire thing out, I don't think I could work that way. First, it still has the issues of being less easy to change/fix and having to scan, print, ink, scan it (as I don't like inking originals). Secondly, I'd likely have to omit things to get the pics in the panels - it's hard enough for me to get the speech bubbles in without overlapping too much (unless it's to hide not so good bits... >_>)

I don't even have a working scanner at the moment, as my new mainboard doesn't have a parallel port anymore (yes, that thing was that old. Didn't even run properly under XP already... :P)

Drawing on paper still feels more "natural", but I'm pretty used to do it on the PC now.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

View Original PostJimmyWolk wrote:I think the best would be to just shorten that line a bit, if not completely. I'd also say the arm would have to be thinner there for a "proper" fix, but I guess that would be harder to do now.
The knuckles also don't seem to line up quite properly. I'd say omit at least the first one (from the thumb on), if not all - they wouldn't be all too prominent from this angle anyway.

I've got to say though, this is a case of "can't unsee" - if others hadn't mentioned, I probably wouldn't even have noticed. XD
'Cause overall, I like it a lot.

While Sunday would be a bit early for me, it's looking good for AcL3 to meet the aimed start-date of "around christmas". The first pages are sketched, and inking has started. :D
[URL=http://img821.imageshack.us/i/94777845.jpg/]Image[/URL] [URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/26983425.jpg/]Image[/URL]

It's beautiful, but is Hikari engaged in a deep conversation on that first page? She spent a lot of time looking up at nothing.

GrummanCat
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GrummanCat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Yeah, she and Touji appear to be talking together as they walk.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Yeah, the first pages will be slightly mirroring the first pages of the first chapter. Not too much, obviously, but with T&H talking about some stuff while going to the Ikaris. After all, school is starting again and they are technically still students... ;)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Shinji on sleep deprivation and looking slightly manlier than usual.

Rei with messed up eyes.

Biology class sucks.

GrummanCat
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GrummanCat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:12 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
Shinji on sleep deprivation and looking slightly manlier than usual.

Biology class sucks.

Isn't the world gonna end if someone brings Death Note and Eva together?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 pm

The world´s gonna end anyway someday, somehow.

*gloomy face*

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm really sorry about all this.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Could someone post Ayanami's Mood Chart? Google Images hasn't been very helpful...
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:01 pm

View Original PostGrummanCat wrote:Isn't the world gonna end if someone brings Death Note and Eva together?

"I will become the God of the new world!"

"Yeah, that worked so well the first time."
Even in death, I still nerd.

Emiemipoemi
Embryo

Postby Emiemipoemi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I haven't posted here in a million years but here's something I finished about a month ago. I hope you guys like it.
So composed for a Sunday.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 pm

PS, with lots of gradients and dead looking eyes...
I LIKE IT!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

So do I. Especially the expression on her face.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Fan Works”