GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
heavyR
Embryo

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:18 pm

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:FMTTM not being included I get, if the cost is that egregious, but not including the DC episodes is just bizarre. I feel like their inclusion has been pretty standard...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Netflix even have those up?

The DC episodes *are* included. It's the Original Aired versions that are not included.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:
View Original PostGendo'sPapa#929625 wrote:Twitter thread explaining Fly Me To The Moon situation:

I am fairly sure he knows nothing about the FMTTM situation and is just speculating. Does he have any actual proof that the FMTMM rights changed hands since 1995?

Per his Twitter bio, he's a news editor at one of the largest anime distributors in the West.

Considering how even one of the largest tech companies in the world couldn't open their purse wide enough for FMttM, I'm inclined to believe him.
i want rebuild

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm sure the speculation that Fly Me to the Moon is expensive is accurate, but from GKids's disclaimer it sounds to me more like Khara mandated that the song not be included. It's the fact GKids specifically mentions that the song isn't on international releases; not just theirs. To me that makes it sound like licensing the song, regardless of price, wasn't an option given to them.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:35 pm

$300,000 + per usage???

Yeah, I guess I’m content with what they offered us. Not replacing the Japanese release I have, but more than happy to add this to me collection. I was hoping for some translated print materials, and I’m stoked as hell we got that!

It would have been nice if Khara used literally any other lyrical song they had the rights to. Maybe a condensed version of Kom Susser Tod, or one of the other alternate OPs or something.

Secured my preorder. Can’t wait to get it in….

[checks notes]

A little before Christmas.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:54 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:$300,000 + per usage???

I don't know if that's the actual number. I was just going off Humberto Saabedra saying the cost for the rights per episode these days is akin to the cost of a house. Google says the average cost of a house in the US in 2021 is $374,900 so maybe I was under.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:58 pm

So, what, did the meaning of the word "ultimate" change in the past year or something? Sonic Colors "Ultimate" is just the Wii version with tweaks, new music, and one new Wisp, NGE "Ultimate" has no FMTTM... the fuck.
Like don't get me wrong, there's some sick ass bonuses, especially GENESIS 0:0, the animatics, and the alternate take of EOE's ending, but for $280 ~only for the pre order window UwU~ and with no Fly Me to the Moon, that's a hell goddamn fuck no from me, dawg. All the rare extras in the world aren't worth damaging the presentation of the series like that. Also limited production to 5,000 copies... I'm trying really hard not to fucking rip gkids apart atm. Do these fuckwads have no concept of reality? Such limited production is exactly why it's fucking impossible to find US NGE releases unless you're stupidly lucky or don't mind blowing, well, over $250. For used Complete or Platinum collections on ebay... with Fly Me to the Moon. If they don't do a normal BD collection release, I'll honestly be surprised as fuck. gkids is a decent company, they know what they're doing, but it seems they also know how to gouge money out of fans.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I remembered something: Platinum Games and SEGA, both companies with way smaller cash pools than mf Khara, rereleased Bayonetta on Steam just a couple of years ago, and *two* versions of FMTTM were used. So maybe it's not a money/rights holders thing, but a "we changed our mind and don't want to use the song" thing. But still... that doesn't change the fact that two emotionally important scenes are left silent, and all the credits, including the credits music for the happy ending of the TV series, use the same melancholy Rei theme. A fine track in itself but it was never intended to be the outro, and certainly not the tone the TV series is supposed to leave you on.
Last edited by AdamMalkovitch on Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:12 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:tantrum

Using expletives doesn't make your rant more convincing.

This set is overpriced, but considering this is about the same price as the original JP release which came in a very vanilla box with few extras and no English subtitles, it's fair for those who can afford it.

It's not like this is the only offering either; I can't see the more standard editions breaching $150, which is an extremely fair price for a tangible copy of a classic.
i want rebuild

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:14 pm

The cheaper releases will be announced on August 30th, so if you can't afford this set there's that to anticipate.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Weskerredfield
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Weskerredfield » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm

Most people, like casuals and such, won't mind that the OA Versions of 21-24 aren't included but I am a completionist. Like someone stated here earlier, you can't really call it an "Ultimate Edition" if everything is not there. I understand the whole FMTTM thing, but not including those episodes is just kind of Lazy in my opinion. Looks like i will be sticking with my Platinum Collection for those episodes

But i will still buy this for sure, just not THIS edition because i cannot afford it sadly. Hoping a standard version will be announced on the 30th

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:58 pm

Why would you want versions of episodes that have LESS footage? It's just the same but without the extra bits.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:03 pm

As I feared, FMTTM confirmed axed moving forward. ;_;

I understand why it happened, but personally it's a big enough bummer for me to consider this an Ultimate Edition instead of a nice complementary release. I'll likely get this at a later date (unless priorities change on my end lol...).

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:14 pm

penguintruth wrote:Why would you want versions of episodes that have LESS footage? It's just the same but without the extra bits.

Well, personally, I would argue that the broadcast versions have definite historical value. They were created under what were basically crunch conditions, and I think having them readily available to compare them to their DC counterparts can tell you something about what happens to the artistic process and having make to choices under pressure and limited resources vs. having the later hindsight and a higher budget and more time. The OA versions aren't just the "same but without the extra bits", some of the original animation was retouched and overhauled, sometimes drastically, like the attempt to remove the basis for whole "Misato killed Kaji" misconception.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:31 pm

View Original PostheavyR wrote:
View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex#929649 wrote:FMTTM not being included I get, if the cost is that egregious, but not including the DC episodes is just bizarre. I feel like their inclusion has been pretty standard...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Netflix even have those up?

The DC episodes *are* included. It's the Original Aired versions that are not included.

What if, and this is a big if, they are planning to release something along the lines of the Archives of Evangelion DVD set, which contains all the OA episodes? You can't say that it's impossible. We'll find out on the 30th.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

weeminator24
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby weeminator24 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:37 pm

The set says that it has over 7 hours of bonus features…is that just talking about the old dub or are we also getting some behind the scenes and such?

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:51 pm

View Original Postweeminator24 wrote:The set says that it has over 7 hours of bonus features…is that just talking about the old dub or are we also getting some behind the scenes and such?

Japanese commercials, the Japanese cast auditions, animatics, the deleted segment of the live-action part of EoE, the making of said segment, and music videos.

100mega
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 100mega » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:55 pm

I've been screaming into the abyss on other boards so I figured maybe I could post here where at least people might care.

I watched that EvaMonkey video interview with Claire and it sounds like the situation with FMTTM isn't because of the origins of the original song or anything like that. It seems like they used that song in a way that wasn't in line with the original agreement of the recording. In 2017 Claire tried to check in on that and thus King Records or whoever did not want to deal with the way it wasn't handled properly and just nixed it for all international releases. I don't understand why we can't even have an instrumental version unless maybe even hinting at it's existence outside of Japan before could get them in legal trouble.

What's worse is that the instrumental version is also removed from episode 15 when Misato and Kaji are walking home drunk. Changing the outro hurts, but removing music from the episode itself really makes this feel terrible.

I think this whole situation would also make getting an international release of Archives impossible too. What's the point if it's also butchered?

I'm also bummed about the lack of non DC episodes and no Rebirth movie. This stuff matters to fans. There's a way it was all experienced for the first time and that is important to me.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Honestly, I'm buying this more for what special features and texts get translated as part of the package, the episodes themselves I've seen a thousand times. And I say this as an OCD completionist, but one one-minute scene and the ending isn't enough to counteract everything else. I can always listen to the soundtracks for FMTTM or revisit the original version of Episode 15 through internet magic, just as an HD version of Rebirth has remained only watchable in that way for years, and an HD scan of 16 impossible forever even in Japan. What slight changes and historical value the OA versions and Rebirth have I'm fine leaving to backup copies that live online. Japan only got the OAs in SD on DVDs, to boot, so it was wishful thinking to see it here.

I'm curious about how FMTTM was handled though; how was it presented for those who watched it on Netflix?

Is the scene in 15 just silent now?
What plays at the end?
Après moi le déluge!

100mega
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 100mega » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:04 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Honestly, I'm buying this more for what special features and texts get translated as part of the package, the episodes themselves I've seen a thousand times. And I say this as an OCD completionist, but one one-minute scene and the ending isn't enough to counteract everything else. I can always listen to the soundtracks for FMTTM or revisit the original version of Episode 15 through internet magic, just as an HD version of Rebirth has remained only watchable in that way for years, and an HD scan of 16 impossible forever even in Japan. What slight changes and historical value the OA versions and Rebirth have I'm fine leaving to backup copies that live online.

I'm curious about how FMTTM was handled though; how was it presented for those who watched it on Netflix?

Is the scene in 15 just silent now?
What plays at the end?

Silence is used in episode 15. Rei's theme is used for the ending.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Does anyone know how many times an instrumental version of Fly Me to the Moon is used in the show? The first one that comes to mind is at the end of episode 21 when Misato is listening to Kaji's last phone call. I know it's just silent in the Netflix release as well.

100mega
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 100mega » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:12 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Does anyone know how many times an instrumental version of Fly Me to the Moon is used in the show? The first one that comes to mind is at the end of episode 21 when Misato is listening to Kaji's last phone call. I know it's just silent in the Netflix release as well.

Ah, that makes two huge, emotional scenes changed. I think that one is even worse than the one I mentioned. Not sure of other uses off the top of my head.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”