GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 286
Joined: Dec 31, 2020
Location: Up a tree
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:12 pm

View Original Post100mega wrote:Silence is used in episode 15. Rei's theme is used for the ending.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oop, took the page starter. For more visibility:

Episode 21 also has a silenced scene because it used FMTTM.
I looked up exactly what version/portion of Rei's Theme is used in place of FMTTM for credits, here's a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3GI793v7MU

Worth noting one of the BD features in Japan was a full-length FMTTM with ocean footage that was shot for use in the menu loops, and features a different animated version of upside-down spinning Rei, and that will also be axed.
Après moi le déluge!

eldomtom2
Lilith
Posts: 127
Joined: Jun 14, 2018
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:44 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Per his Twitter bio, he's a news editor at one of the largest anime distributors in the West.

That doesn’t mean it’s anything other than speculation.
Considering how even one of the largest tech companies in the world couldn't open their purse wide enough for FMttM, I'm inclined to believe him.

You don’t get to be one of the largest tech companies in the world by opening your purse for everything.

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 286
Joined: Dec 31, 2020
Location: Up a tree
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Also, for the sake of thoroughness, does anyone know if FMTTM plays in any of the special features of the Japanese BD/DVDs? If so, those will also be silenced or maybe even have portions excised or omitted.
Après moi le déluge!

GentlemanX
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 63
Joined: Jan 23, 2014

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:37 pm

The set is now sold out.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 242
Joined: Jul 07, 2009

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:40 pm

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:That doesn’t mean it’s anything other than speculation.

Our_ears----------------------His_ears------The_truth

His speculation as an industry insider is more valuable than us fans outside of the arena. He also shared two articles that corroborate his claim.

You don’t get to be one of the largest tech companies in the world by opening your purse for everything.

They opened their purse wide enough to outbid whoever had the rights before, and even paid for a complete redubbing. Putting the brakes on FMttM is a sign that it was more trouble/cost than they were comfortable with, which is saying a lot for a top FAANG company which usually has more money than they know what to do with.
i want rebuild

Footlong Shoe
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 20, 2016
Location: Durham, NC
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Footlong Shoe » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:50 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Japan only got the OAs in SD on DVDs, to boot, so it was wishful thinking to see it here.


On the contrary, I'm pretty sure the JP Blu-ray sets include both versions of 21-24. The Amazon.co.jp description at least suggests so.

『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン』 HDリマスター
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
TVシリーズ全26話+ビデオフォーマット版4話(第21話~第24話)
映像特典:次回予告 30秒(第壱話~第弐拾話)


DeepL translation:
HD Remaster of Neon Genesis Evangelion
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
All 26 episodes of the TV series + 4 episodes of the video format version (episodes 21~24)
Video bonus: 30 seconds preview of the next episode (episodes 1~2)

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 242
Joined: Jul 07, 2009

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:57 pm

View Original PostFootlong Shoe wrote:On the contrary, I'm pretty sure the JP Blu-ray sets include both versions of 21-24. The Amazon.co.jp description at least suggests so.

I can confirm; I always have to remember to skip ahead whenever I get to these episodes.
i want rebuild

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 286
Joined: Dec 31, 2020
Location: Up a tree
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:04 pm

View Original PostFootlong Shoe wrote:On the contrary, I'm pretty sure the JP Blu-ray sets include both versions of 21-24. The Amazon.co.jp description at least suggests so.

Huh, you're right. Memory fart. According to http://svenge.evamonkey.com/, Death (True) is the only thing exclusive to that set outside of broadcast versions of 1-20 & 25 & 26.
Après moi le déluge!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 3915
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Location: Outer Space Jupiter

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:29 pm

Are we ever going to get a North American release that isn't absolute dogshit? Why is this so difficult for licensers?

Stuart
Adam
Age: 34
Posts: 50
Joined: Jun 09, 2010
Location: UK

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:45 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Huh, you're right. Memory fart. According to http://svenge.evamonkey.com/, Death (True) is the only thing exclusive to that set outside of broadcast versions of 1-20 & 25 & 26.


Archives of Evangelion DVD box set features the original show as it was shown on-air, and this is the release which has Death(True) on it, which was only ever shown on Japanese TV previously (hence its inclusion in the Broadcast DVD set).

The Japanese BD set has original theatrical release of Death&Rebirth, as well as Death(True)2. It also has the non-DC 21-24, a 5.1 mix soundtrack album (as a BD extra), FMTTM music video extras, the original soundtrack + 5.1 mix both containing FMTTM.... basically a bunch of stuff which isn't on this release. Seems kind of lazy... they're only publishing content which already has English dubs and subs readily available.

Plus the fact that GKids and ATA haven't published detailed tech specs or even just what content is on what disc makes it difficult to judge what video bitrate is going to be like.

100mega wrote:I think this whole situation would also make getting an international release of Archives impossible too. What's the point if it's also butchered?


I hadn't thought of that, but you're exactly right. We'll never get an official English language release of Archives for this very reason - it wouldn't be Archives any more.

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 286
Joined: Dec 31, 2020
Location: Up a tree
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 am

View Original PostStuart wrote:Archives of Evangelion DVD box set features the original show as it was shown on-air, and this is the release which has Death(True) on it, which was only ever shown on Japanese TV previously (hence its inclusion in the Broadcast DVD set).

The Japanese BD set has original theatrical release of Death&Rebirth, as well as Death(True)2. It also has the non-DC 21-24, a 5.1 mix soundtrack album (as a BD extra), FMTTM music video extras, the original soundtrack + 5.1 mix both containing FMTTM.... basically a bunch of stuff which isn't on this release. Seems kind of lazy... they're only publishing content which already has English dubs and subs readily available.

Yeah, Archives is the set I was referring to, since my initial error was its contents. Didn't know that was the logic behind Death (True)'s inclusion, interesting.

The Genesis 0:0 specials, EoE live-action scene and BTS feature had english subs previously?
Après moi le déluge!

JupiterCallisto
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
Location: Somewhere

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:16 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Do you realize how selfish YOU sound right now? You constantly jump on people for liking the Netflix dub more even when penguintruth was just stating his preference. By your logic, you can only express your own personal preferences when you’re in the majority?

Perhaps I’ve crapped on the ADV dub too much myself, but I’m trying to tone it down now. Both dubs are getting released, this is reason for celebration.

Being selfish is thinking of your own desires, when they aren't the common one. I have only went at the Netflix fans when they beg for their version, which by the way was so unpopular the actors weren't invited back for the Rebuild, to be the one included in every set and be used in every subsequent dub. I don't like the Netflix version so I just don't acknowledge it exists, which again, counts for MOST of the fans feelings on the dub. I've heard Netflix didn't even want the Rebuilds because of how Evangelion did on Netflix and I bet if they had a better received dub the numbers would have been massive. I didn't even bother to tell anyone it was ON Netflix in protest of the new version.

We all wanted a redub btw, ADV version has issues and they become more apparent by the year. But they also took away the things we LIKED such as the voice actors and the occasional dialogue changes that helped the situations make more sense to an American Audience ("I'm so f--cked up" hits a lot harder and sounds a lot more natural than "I'm the lowest of the low".)

Again, I'm happy both are included. In a perfect world they would do like the Castle of Caglistro/Secret of Mamo releases for Lupin the Third and include every version of the dub (which they did). Even though I think one dub completely outclasses the other it was still nice to see all versions included on a set because each of them was SOMEONE's first time seeing the series, even though I hope they are motivated to check out all versions eventually and make their own decision on what they prefer. I feel the same way here.

Do not quote a entire post; trim just to relevant bit you intend to adress of - JoelcrNeto

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 242
Joined: Jul 07, 2009

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:Being selfish is thinking of your own desires, when they aren't the common one.

This is discrimination against minorities.
i want rebuild

hui43210
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1678
Joined: Jan 05, 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:25 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:Being selfish is thinking of your own desires, when they aren't the common one. I have only went at the Netflix fans when they beg for their version, which by the way was so unpopular the actors weren't invited back for the Rebuild, to be the one included in every set and be used in every subsequent dub. I don't like the Netflix version so I just don't acknowledge it exists, which again, counts for MOST of the fans feelings on the dub. I've heard Netflix didn't even want the Rebuilds because of how Evangelion did on Netflix and I bet if they had a better received dub the numbers would have been massive. I didn't even bother to tell anyone it was ON Netflix.


Okay, thank you for proving my point that you are in fact the actual selfish person who’s attacking people for not sharing the supposed public opinion. Like, what the hell, VSI dub aren’t allowed to want to have their favourite dub available dub to them? That’s what it sounds like when you say you go after people for “begging” for their version.

And VSI is listed as the official dub, so yeah, it’ll be in every set for sure.

Edit: and as evaunit13 above points out, I certainly hope you don’t use this majority logic in other faucets of life. A lot of progress would never happened if we just catered to the majority.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JupiterCallisto
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
Location: Somewhere

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:[ text


As a minority and trans person I'm not even going to bother respond to someone trying to take this to genuine real world problems when we're talking about anime dubs and actually think its weird they did so I'll ignore the person above me.

I have said several times, I'm happy both dubs are included. Although I'll always regret the new divide caused in the Fandom by the redub when its clear by later backtracking by them on it that it wasn't the most thought out decision.

I'm glad the people who got what they wanted from an Evangelion dub with it and that both are included. I just hope if we ever see another project it's Spike Spencer and the gang exclusively and the Netflix dub cast is never used again.
Last edited by JupiterCallisto on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

100mega
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: Jul 19, 2019

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 100mega » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 am

I'm ready to start an online riot to get King Records to pay Claire for unauthorized use of her recording of FMTTM for all these years. If they make it right maybe we'll have a real international release of Evangelion one day. :emogendo:

eldomtom2
Lilith
Posts: 127
Joined: Jun 14, 2018
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby eldomtom2 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:He also shared two articles that corroborate his claim.

If you actually read those articles, they don't really have anything to do with his claim.

hui43210
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1678
Joined: Jan 05, 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Gender: Male

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#929742 wrote:[ text


As a minority and trans person I'm not even going to bother respond to someone trying to take this to genuine real world problems when we're talking about anime dubs and actually think its weird they did so I'll ignore the person above me.

I have said several times, I'm happy both dubs are included. Although I'll always regret the new divide caused in the Fandom by the redub when its clear by later backtracking by them on it that it wasn't the most thought out decision.

I'm glad the people who got what they wanted from an Evangelion dub with it and that both are included. I just hope if we ever see another project it's Spike Spencer and the gang exclusively and the Netflix dub cast is never used again.


Okay then, I’m glad you obviously wouldn’t have this POV for far more important matters. And as person with physical disability and never walked a day in his life, I’m fully aware of it what’s it like when the majority of people have no idea what you go through on a daily basis.

What I just am trying to understand is when both dubs are getting released, and you say you’re happy for both fans, you seemingly attack someone for simply stating their preference and calling people selfish for going against the supposed narrative.

Again, I’m guilty of this in the past, and I apologize for that. It’s just strange to me that you call people like me weird/selfish for liking the VSI dub when it all comes down to personally preference.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 242
Joined: Jul 07, 2009

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:29 pm

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:If you actually read those articles, they don't really have anything to do with his claim.

His claim: licensing FMttM is expensive.
The articles: licensing is expensive because more deep-pocketed players are getting in the game, treating music rights as an investment, driving up demand, and thus driving up the price.

Can't see how they can't be unrelated, unless you actually have an argument to make.
i want rebuild

100mega
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: Jul 19, 2019

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 100mega » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:39 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:
View Original Posteldomtom2#929773 wrote:If you actually read those articles, they don't really have anything to do with his claim.

His claim: licensing FMttM is expensive.
The articles: licensing is expensive because more deep-pocketed players are getting in the game, treating music rights as an investment, driving up demand, and thus driving up the price.

Can't see how they can't be unrelated, unless you actually have an argument to make.


I think the argument is that it likely has more to due with issues around Claire's original recording of the song rather than some music rights for using the song FMTTM. Bayonetta used the song without a problem. Other versions of FMTTM get released all the time. It's Claire's recording that is suddenly mysteriously absent due to King Records screwing her over.

I can't remember where I saw this pointed out, but Youtube's Content ID system identifies all versions of Claire's FMTTM as being sung by Megumi Hayashibara. Makes you wonder, huh?

See this video at around 38 min:
https://youtu.be/jpdnJ455tEU?t=2308
Last edited by 100mega on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests