NGE2: First Ancestral Race and Seeds of Life

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 pm

My vote: Most interesting new thread in like FARever.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:29 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Shouldn't these super important things be incorporated in the Wiki?

It's been on my projects list. When I translated this scene, it was from a low-res recording on Nico. I became impatient with the quality and incompleteness of what was available on Nico, so I embarked on a mission to make video captures from the games myself, which naturally distracted me from the whole translating and archiving thing.

Yeah, I know: excuses, excuses.

That said, I agree, the Kaworu ending definitely is important enough to go up sooner rather than later, and any pages impacted by its information need updating if they haven't been already.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Holy crap! Glad I stumbled upon this topic. I'm bursting with questions about this new material....

This thread may interest you as well.

Now, let me get this straight, does Rei acquire this Fruit of Life by getting it from the Adambryo? That would be confirmation that the Adambryo contains an S2... much to the dismay of my own theories.

Now that I look again, she basically tells Gendo to bugger off apparently before they've done anything. Then Aoba's all, "There's a high energy body in Terminal Dogma!" Rei tells Lilith that the Fruit of Life is unnecessary and that "I am me. I am not you." Lilith melts while imploring Rei for the FoL.

This suggests to me that Rei goes into Lilith without the FoL, even though Aoba's line suggests otherwise. (Then again, since the scene with Aoba's line is recycled into so many NGE2 endings, maybe it's just a hiccup.)

A cut scene compilation of Rei's PSP scenario is here. I'm waiting on certain things before I attempt to tackle a real translation.

Souls can interact with the Fruits? Furthermore, partaking of the Fruit of Life causes one to lose Knowledge/forget the past? Innnteresting...

I'm also not sure how to interpret the whole "eating too much of Fruit of Life --> forgetting" thing. Maybe Kaworu's dialogue from the rest of the game (monologues, various dialogue paths when he's trapped in Leliel, etc.) will provide more context, but I'm not counting on it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Yeah, I know: excuses, excuses.

You don't need excuses Reichu :) I feel a bit helpless, my english is really not good enough compared to yours to contribute.

Take your time, you're already doing a good job here.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This thread may interest you as well.

After seeing this one I went straight to that one by thread-searching for NGE2, but thanks for your kindness.

A cut scene compilation of Rei's PSP scenario is here. I'm waiting on certain things before I attempt to tackle a real translation.

Like what? A higher-quality recording so you can read the text clearly?

I'm also not sure how to interpret the whole "eating too much of Fruit of Life --> forgetting" thing. Maybe Kaworu's dialogue from the rest of the game (monologues, various dialogue paths when he's trapped in Leliel, etc.) will provide more context, but I'm not counting on it.

Yeah, I'm not bothering to look too much into it myself. These Seed types can get pretty hopeless with their metaphors anyway.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:32 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Like what? A higher-quality recording so you can read the text clearly?

I'm planning to play through Rei's PSP scenario in order to both make higher-quality recordings, and because I like knowing how all of those cut scenes unfold in the game (what triggers them, and so forth). I'd also be able to explore alternate dialogue/event paths, etc. Might have happened by now if two eBay merchants in a row hadn't sent me the wrong damned PSP video cable.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 am

I took Aoba's "High energy reading" lines in any of the Terminal Dogma based ends to more or less mean "the giant white motherly marshmellow is suddenly up and about because her soul returned (and she may or may not be becoming giant and naked)!" but maybe I'm wrong.

I wish I had a working PSP... At least I can keep plugging away at translations here and there. (Barely anybody noticed that 3 Shinjis one. >_> )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:13 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I wish I had a working PSP... At least I can keep plugging away at translations here and there. (Barely anybody noticed that 3 Shinjis one. >_> )

...3 Shinjis what now?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...3 Shinjis what now?

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=357795#357795
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 am

Oh, that.

...I see that in that Rei ending there, you make a choice. If you select the first option, I assume that goes the more canonical path. Does that path show or describe Rei taking the Adambryo from Gendo? If so, then its omission in the second path certainly does imply that she enters Lilith without it.

Although, we don't see what happens after that to see how the lack of the Adambryo changes things. But that's probably the intent... It's too much new material to write up, and also irrelevant to Rei's personal plight. At the time, at least.
System Administrator

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 am

First off, I don't think that it's fair to say that a FAR is a "Seed" here. Unless that is our new name for him or her or it, let's try to keep things organized, shall we?

If anyone bothered to just hit the "Wiki" button yet, you'll find that the FAR are alien beings from some unknown place in the universe. Their location, however, is unimportant to this post.

The Seeds are the Moons. The White Moon arrived safely. The Black Moon crashed in an accident (where were the Space Police in all of this), stopping Adam before she could produce Angels (the term "Angels" used here excudes the Lilim, duh). Lilith's Lance was destroyed, so Adam's had to activate, which conviniently occured in Antartica.

I can understand why the FAR would need to send the Seeds. I recall that, as Reichu wrote, the FAR's homeworld was fading, and they knew it. I have no explanation as to why it would suddenly dissapear, but the "Original Adam" from Biblical text would suggest that the Lilim and the Angels, the FAR and any other life forms in the universe were once part of an extremely large "Sea of LCL". This is all in theory, however.

It's actually funny to know that most people onthis forum have never read the Wiki. Go there, read, add up the facts, and accept Eva for what it is.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:19 am

The truth about the Wiki is that it's a mess, and there is tons and tons of stuff on the forum that no one has bothered to put on the Wiki yet. I'm scared of ever looking at the thing; the horrors there intimidate me into paralysis.

If you're referring to the thing that Kaworu encounters, calling it a Seed doesn't seem to involve "fairness" in any way. It's a statement of fact.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 pm

So are the Seeds FARs that have been sent off the FAR homeworld, or are the Seeds completely different beings created by the FARs to create different forms of life in different places throughout the universe?
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:56 pm

They're basically like Evangelions, in that they're Godlike bodies that were created and had souls shoved in them.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:They're basically like Evangelions, in that they're Godlike bodies that were created and had souls shoved in them.

You have to wonder what kind of megalomaniacal bitch volunteered to be Lilith. Good thing the Rei personality came to exist, really.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah, apparently they're artificial beings. Actually it's interesting that according to Kaworu's ending translated by Reichu in this thread they're beings without a true body, the physical form of Lilith and Adam could have been taken when they've arrived to Earth.
I dunno if it's possible to sustain that their soul or those in their Chambers of Guf are the ones of the FARs or if they had the knowledge to "create" souls.
Azathoth wrote:You have to wonder what kind of megalomaniacal bitch volunteered to be Lilith. Good thing the Rei personality came to exist, really.

Indeed, she arrived and stole Adam's place, it's really rude (and it's funny that if I'm not wrong in one ending Kaworu thanks Lilith because "she has forgiven him" but I could be misunderstanding things).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Well, it's implied that the original Gufs contained FAR souls in order to essentially preserve/reincarnate the species.

As for Lilith, I don't see what's so Megalomaniacal. She landed on Earth by accident.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:As for Lilith, I don't see what's so Megalomaniacal. She landed on Earth by accident.

The extent of her determination to gain control of the Fruit of Life suggests otherwise.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:04 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Well, it's implied that the original Gufs contained FAR souls in order to essentially preserve/reincarnate the species.

While this is probably the case I don't remember if it's mentioned explicitly (or even in some implicit but easily understandable way) in either the game or the CIs.
Azathoth wrote:The extent of her determination to gain control of the Fruit of Life suggests otherwise.

It's quite interesting that her determination was the result of Adam's presence, I wonder what she was going to do if he wasn't around (and exactly why she desires it).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Zenoseiya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenoseiya » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Note: My following statements combine aspects of the TV series and Rebuild. Reader discretion is advised.

If there were seven Moons, divided into a set of 3 and 4, then the odds of them two of them crashing on one planet is so high as to be impossible. Lilith deliberately crashed her Moon into Earth to obtain the Fruit of Life from Adam.

Why was the FAR planet rendered uninhabitable, even for Angels? Rebuild 2.0 gives an interesting reason. Bringing the two Fruits together creates a new, third form of life whose birth wipes out all previous forms of life. Hence the FAR's prohibition against bringing them together; it drove them from their home planet.

What were the FAR, anyway? My opinion? Lilin who learned how to manipulate their morphic resonance fields/ego boundaries into psychic powers. They created the Angels/Proto-Evangelions as servants. Someone got the bright idea to combine the two Fruits, resulting in cataclysm.

Rei and Kaworu would then be examples of FAR, or more accurately bastardized recreations of them. They are essentially Lilin with the ability to manipulate their ATF and survive in harsh conditions, like vacuum. As a result of their botched creation and poor care, they have odd dietary requirements, fractured memories, and poorly-formed personalities.
Favorite Pairing: Kaworu/Shinji/Asuka
Hated Pairing: Shinji/Rei
Okay Pairing: Kaworu/Rei

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:While this is probably the case I don't remember if it's mentioned explicitly (or even in some implicit but easily understandable way) in either the game or the CIs.

???:
Knowing we [the FAR] would lose our home world, we embarked on a journey into the midst of space in search of other planets...
Returning ourselves to the form of life’s origins... While bringing many peoples together as one... In order to, one day, increase and flourish.
(...)
There were seven carriers that our home world's people boarded, you and me included.
You and I were designers to the people whom we had brought with us.
After implanting into a world somewhere, we either bestowed upon them shapes as any form of life, or acted as representatives and chose the forms.

You have to think about it a little, but it's pretty implicit.

Actually it's interesting that according to Kaworu's ending translated by Reichu in this thread they're beings without a true body, the physical form of Lilith and Adam could have been taken when they've arrived to Earth.

You have to reconcile what the mystery Seed says with the contents of the Classified Info:

Within a carrier known as a "Moon", the First Ancestral Race fabricated a perfect cavity (also referred to as a "Moon"), at which point the Seed, or "Progenitor Entity", would be placed inside and sent out into space.

Makes it sound like they were physically put in there.

@Zenoseiya: No Rebuild stuff, please. Bad, Zenoseiya. Bad!!

This, on the other hand, may be relevant to the continuity in which progenitor aliens are a known component:

Gendo to Rei, in NGE2:Another Cases wrote:Adam ate the Fruit of Life, giving the Angels eternal life and power.
Lilith ate the Fruit of Knowledge, giving humans knowledge and death.
We received only knowledge, death, and proliferation.
People pursue eternal life without refrain... but Angels also seek out Lilith in similar pursuit of the Fruit of Knowledge.
The fusion of Adam and Lilith will return everything to nothing, and new life will take seed.
Bearing both knowledge and eternal life – in order to become new life.
But whether those inhabiting that life will be us humans or Angels ... we cannot know.
(...)
Life being eternal is not what's important.
What is crucial is bringing all of our souls together as one.
Rei, you will become that door, and be the guidepost for the complementation of all hearts.

I'm not sure I can agree with you about the FAR being "Lilin"... I'd think they'd look like pint-sized Adams if anything.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”