A.T. Field Technicalities

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Acronyms get reused all the time in different contexts. Only so many combinations of letters. Observe.

Yea, I know, but the fact that it has other uses might be why it didn't catch on, especially in a setting where one can argue that disembodied REM Sleep is pretty much the setting for like two tenths of the series.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:42 pm

I thought this might be of interest, since it touches on Freudian psychology (and offshoots thereof), PWM, and the AT field (at least, it seems to), as well as (maybe) S^2 (as cloud busters?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgone

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm

I looked at your link, and being that I frequent Wikipedia, you do realize that the worst possible red flag a wikipedia article can have is the "disputed neutrality" tag, right? Articles with that tag are more often than not written rather poorly, both because of the lack of neutrality, and because of the "fixes" the other side write into it. That, plus the pseudoscience link at the bottom, tells me that there may be something wrong with this theory. In real life, at least.

More specifically, Anno seems to be into popular theories that had at least some support at some time. Especially Freud. Granted, Freud is largely discredited nowadays, but at least at some point his theories were legit. This doesn't look like it was ever well supported.

Just something to keep in mind. You may even be onto something, I don't know.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:14 pm

I highly doubt it. It's so obscure, that even I haven't heard of this, and I study this kind of crap for fun. More likely, Anno either made up the concepts he used because he's a motherfucking GENIUS, or he ripped off some more readily available concept like Chi, Prana, or Odic Force.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm just noting the relationship between the ideas described there and those used in eva, especially in the context of PWM, the AT field, and its relationship to the freudian libido. Also, these ideas have been widely controversial due to the creator's association with freud, and since Anno was researching freudian ideas, he is likely to come across stuff like that by its association.

Edit: Odic force had been mentioned in association, but I have never heard of that. I have heard some of the terms associated with this, however, despite not knowing the actual unified thing (cloudbusters and such are quite common elements in other pseudoscientific practices, and despite the fact that these ideas are considered ungrounded and such, they make their way into all sorts of fringe paranormal documents).

Plus, someone studying freud with an emphasis on the nuttier stuff will probably eventually come to this, and since it's more contemporary WITH freud (and despite, or because, of the fact that it's still practiced and given a weak OK by the psychiatric standards people) it would be more available, especially since Anno was looking for that kind of stuff. More likely than not, he wouldn't remember where it was he got the ideas (think chamber of Guf). Even if these ideas were not the original source, he may have gotten it from related ideas (such as Odic force, which I still don't have any idea about).

I would note, however, that Orgone is described as being:
1) A product of the libido
2) 'Body armor'
3) A subatomic phenomenon that is omnipresent
4) Potentially focused and "shot" (as cloudbusters would)
5) Harnessed and stored both by the body and through devices (associated with free energy, presumably meaning it could be converted into electricity despite it being described as heat)

Given the freudian basis of the theory here, I would consider it a good match, but I suggest you guys read about it and voice your concerns about whether or not it FITS, rather than whether or not Anno would know about it (we don't know Anno, but we know Eva -- Ockham's razor applies, since we can never presume to know the mind of Anno-sama our Elohim :wink: ).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Meh. I still don't think it really fits. I don't see how you tie PWM into that, because it doesn't really NEED AT Fields to exist, and the AT Field isn't omnipresent like the Orgone, too.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:50 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Meh. I still don't think it really fits. I don't see how you tie PWM into that, because it doesn't really NEED AT Fields to exist, and the AT Field isn't omnipresent like the Orgone, too.

How isn't it?

This is more like a unified theory -- the AT field's energy is the same as life energy, drawn from an s2 engine (an orgone accumulator).

Though personally, I think that Anno got orgone and morphogenic fields confused.

(Btw, judging by youtube results alone, orgone is way more well-known than odic force)

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Well, AT Fields aren't really an animating life force so much as they are probably along the lines of like, I don't know, the aura.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm

The AT fields thus far have been used for two things:
1) generating form / shields
2) attacks
The AT fields seem to be intricately tied with some other unnamed force involved with healing, libido, and life, which is drawn out of the aether so to speak by the s2 engine. This has been used for:
1) modifying form (changing the at field)
2) healing
3) strengthening the at field
4) a general source of life and animation (berzerk incedents involving no-power situations)

So, if we, for the sake of experiment, treat these as two sides of the same coin, what we get seems to be something like a combination of orgone (2 of the first list, and 1-4 of the second) and morphogenic fields (1 from both lists).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:30 pm

The AT fields seem to be intricately tied with some other unnamed force involved with healing, libido, and life, which is drawn out of the aether so to speak by the s2 engine. This has been used for:
1) modifying form (changing the at field)
2) healing
3) strengthening the at field
4) a general source of life and animation (berzerk incedents involving no-power situations)

I think that's more so the S2 Engine generating energy mechanically and using that to cellular growth and such.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:47 pm

But in ep19, Yui-sama had neither S2 Engine nor electricity left. How does that explain her berserk killing of Zeruel?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:53 pm

AyrYntake wrote:But in ep19, Yui-sama had neither S2 Engine nor electricity left. How does that explain her berserk killing of Zeruel?

Cellular kinetic energy that hasn't been tapped.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Epinephrine.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:10 pm

lol'd. I was thinking more along the lines of direct LCL flow in between pilot and core (note the cracking of the entry plug in the scene just before berserker activcation). There is, of course, absolutely no basis for this whatsoever, so feel free to attack me about it.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 pm

I'd say that the S2 organ creates a wormhole into the sea of dirac, into which it feeds small amounts of electricity. It then takes the energy released from the matter/antimatter reaction and uses it as a power source, since the reaction between a very small electrical current (say, a watch battery) fed into the sea of dirac would have more output than a small-scale nuke.

If you don't like my fanwanking, read the wikipedia page for Dirac's Ocean -- it explains why that works.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:40 am

I share Dirac's birthday :toothy: [/offtopic]
Anyway, what I'm saying is that EVA-01 had neither energy supply nor S2 Engine when it went berserk, thus it must be something to do with the "soul" idea. That's a clear indicator of AT Fields at work, surely.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:33 am

Some of my posts in 2006 went along with the idea that the libido in Evangelion was more akin to Reich's orgone, a mechanical effect that could be measured through the conductivity of the skin during orgasm - and in the environment as electrical capacitance, rather than Freud's more lofty idea of it.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 am

Zuggy wrote:Some of my posts in 2006 went along with the idea that the libido in Evangelion was more akin to Reich's orgone, a mechanical effect that could be measured through the conductivity of the skin during orgasm - and in the environment as electrical capacitance, rather than Freud's more lofty idea of it.

You realize that I brought that up earlier in this thread? O.o

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 am

Haha either way, it's nice to know we have a consensus on this kinda thing.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:09 am

AyrYntake wrote:Haha either way, it's nice to know we have a consensus on this kinda thing.

That is, if this is correct:

Enki's New American English Antimatter Dictionary wrote:Consensus: [n] In the instance of two nutters vs a whole forum of people who don't believe in quantum telepathy, the idea of the two nutters.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”