Lillith's imagery screwed in EoE and the quest for true love

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
mehdi_saada
Adam

Lillith's imagery screwed in EoE and the quest for true love

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:47 am

Hello my friends,
something is a little bothering me with the characterization of Lillith is the anime,
and how that issue was fully tackled in the movie. Rei/Lillith was : the woman that does not bleed. She says this forth and forth and forth, without evidence that it saddens her by the way. Wait ... it isn't pathologic to not have menstrues at 14, does it mean that Rei already has clue from a long time that she isn't "human", does she know she is a half-clone or whatever ? That point isn't clear for me.

Lillith in the bible in the first woman, BEFORE THE FALL. Before the need for reproduction. Indeed, being immortals, Adam and Eve weren't needing coit for the species to continue existing. Truly enough, Lillith is also in NGE the Mother of All, so of course it can have children. Do you know one woman in christianity, that has given birth without having been screwed before ? C'mon ... As Shinji is indeed a christ-like figure, Rei being metaphorically its mother, Rei is then the Virgin Mary. Something of pure model of womanhood, unstained by men and their vile bodily desires. Inversely, something of a pure kind of love, not necessarily platonic, but outside of the realm of desire and calculation. Hmm, smells like Plato's Symposium's or Phaede's explanation of Eros,
just like the way Socrate refuses Alcbiades's move on him, not because Socrate didn't enjoy physically young boys(C'mon again, all Greeks loved young boys at that time), but because of the former's intent to exchange beauty vs Socrate's wisdom : that is not what love is, in any acceptance of the term.

So, to me Adam and Lillith are meant to be on a certain level of analysis, humans before the Fall that made us the colonny of flawed mortal organisms we are. Humans that were far closer to the divinity.
I think Anno messed up much of lillith's imagery in EoE, because he put a lot of vagina things, and disgusting ones for me( I am not a fan of vagina's imagery, ancients people as well hugely prefered clitoris' ones ), and thoses vaginas mirror the Mother aspect. But doing that, Anno screwed the 'woman that does not bleed' whole thing.
Did he not heard of "Immaculate Conception" ? I can hardly think of a good reason Rei hadn't bled before, but she would eventualy bleed and evolve the 'normal' womanhood.

As for Rei nubility, I don't know, but her physical emanation is much more similar to roman Vestals's than Asuka's or Misato's ! The latter are clearly 'fallen' exemples of women, like Eve.
To put it clearly, I wouldn't feel right to 'screw' Rei if she was a real like person, as said otherwhere here she doesn't show any interest in usual romantic or sexual feeling, strangely enough for her age.
You will say : Rei is like the Evas, which are like Eve extraced from Adam, so Rei is like Eva. But Rei isn't extracted from Adam, whatever Kaworu or Ritsuko said, so this isn't a counterargument per se. Reichu ? I would love answers from feminine hard fans.

Kaworu on the other side, is a reliable romantic pole for boys, because : one, it doesn't involve fixation on the maternal Imago(it is clearly shown that vagina = research of maternal fusion in EoE !(I almost puked from the surabondance of such imagery in EoE) imago and two, desire and calculation are less associated to bishonen than to mature women(perhaps not only for cultural reasons... but in due time).
To me Eva is all about that : going beyond the oedipus complex, and finding another kind of genuine and pure love, like christic love, but not excluding physical exchanges. In EoE Shinji completed the first step, as shown with the departure of Yui, and the attempt to kill Asuka(which obviously symbolizes even more than Misato, 'wordly desires' badly mixed with the true need of love), the previous object of desire-and-hatred of Shinji. As for the second step, because the fucking homophobia of the production(or the public ?) threw the more daring drafts of Ep24, poor little Shinji hasn't gone very far on that road. Shit, not even a kiss !
Last thing(if that already said, sorry) : when GNK appear, the sexual contact symbolized by the lance of longinus and Sho's Koa can not possibly be a coit ... between men :facepalm: ? What brings BLISS to Shinji is NOT penetration in the sanctified womanhood, but the coming of the stylized Kaworu's manhood.
ps:please excuse me for language flaws. That was so fun saying those nasty things -o-;
Last edited by mehdi_saada on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Lillith's imagery screwed in EoE and the quest for true

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 am

View Original Postmehdi_saada wrote:C'mon ... As Shinji is indeed a christ-like figure,

I thought Kaworu was the Christ figure? we dont call him Bishonen space jesus for nothing
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

mehdi_saada
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:37 am

True enough, but Shinji is the main character, and he does decide for us while EoE.
Shinji suffers, Shinji evolves, Shinji everything. And Kaworu was already Adam,
an Angel, something not even human ... well, an Angel sent to change Shinji ?
That fits well to me. Moreover, our points of view are not antagonastic :
as said by Anno, Kaworu is meant to be a idealized version of Shinji,
something he could be, or would like to be, or whatever.

Kaworu and Shinji are in fact, in that layer of understanding, one and the same,
like two sides of the same coin : the part of the boy that is a prey to mundane feeling and suffering
and stuff like that, and the 'realized' part, the part closer to divinity.
The 'christic' part if you want. The song said : Young boy, become a legend.
That is, ascend to and become you are meant to be(like Arthur) : a legend for all youngs.
As far as we're talking about symbols, these are leaking from characters to others :
greek gods had distinct attributes, right, but they were also stepping constantly over
one another field of predication, nevertheless, even the way they did so in the cults
and rituals, was in the heads of Ancient people meaningful of their own identity as Gods.

Ex : War was mainly for Athena and Ares, I bet both of them used to be summoned
before battle, but it was War seen really differently in one case or the other.
Did some one see the serie Merlin with Colin Morgan, Anthony Stewart Head among others ?
The relation clearly-more-than-friendly betwen Merlin and Arthur is of this kind :
Arthur is meant by timeless legends and predication to become something more
than human, something Merlin obviously is : then Arthur learn to listen more and more and more to Merlin,
that is the wiseness and mythical-ness in himself.
Last edited by mehdi_saada on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 pm

I think you might be taking EVA's religious aspect a little too seriously. Remember, almost all of it was decorative and wasn't meant to have any meaning
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

mehdi_saada
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:48 pm

well, that's what they said to us, but
1) I doubt it very much. Names and references are sometimes(most of time ?) chosen way much too properly according to pictures and what's happening in the show to be nonsensical. Saying the religious babble is nonsensical is nonsensical, and make the show itself nonsensical. I won't buy it.
2)for time to time, it's ok that correspondance wasn't intentional, but intuition isn't intentional most of the time, it is unconscious. 3) we know Anno is a deceiver, so fuck what he says, when it contradicts the evidences . Religious discourse is but one way humans use think and convey profund meanings, it is never meaningless to use it, or we would have discarded evangelion a lot sooner.

Honnestly, can you say you feel nothing at all, when Kaworu and Shinji entered Terminal Dogma and Hyuga said :"Heaven's Door is opening! " ? :rolleyes: the religious reference conveyed a insanely huge meaning about the meaning of this relation. Saying the contrary would be like saying 'oh, the woman that doesn't bleed, it could have been the one that doesn't fart ! ' One can not build mountains of meaning randomly ! One has to be a fucking a genius or blessed by some higher power to do so...

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Alright, so why is the Vatican treaty called so when i don't recall the Vatican having anything to do with said treaty?

evanescenteõndine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evanescenteõndine » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Maybe because Rebuild are shitty as hell ? I have seen none, but from the wiki I read, they are nonsensical compared to the first anime, in all points. Any clear symbolism got suppressed.
I think Anno maybe 1) fell on his head 2) or wanted to make money(don't think so) 3) acted on desperation as the 'solution' he thought he found to let out of his Borderline state, as he depicted them in the 25 and 26th ep, were false and illusory, or else that his woman couldn't possibly get him out of his depression ? I think personnaly that Anno is a gay, and like many others in Europa he choses marriage because of social pression and acceptance. I think he suffered a lot more people think, a lot more himself want to acknowledge, the refusal of GAINAX and co to let him express his ideals regards to homosexuality.
Probably he thought the public in himself wasn't more worthy than GAINAX of these ideas, and that is why he shut him up for good on that point, even to the point of not taking the chance he had to express them once again freely now he is executive director ? That's the answer I came up with. The price of lying to oneself is boundless as far as love sensibility is concerned...
Please, as I don't recall posting in the Rebuild section, and think I won't never do so, don't bring Rebuilds in here :shoot2kill: .

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:48 pm

View Original Postevanescenteõndine wrote:I think personnaly that Anno is a gay

Aaaaaaaaand now i just cant take your comment seriously

evanescenteõndine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evanescenteõndine » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:52 am

I think he demonstrated a sensivity to the beauty of the relation between K and S,
that can not be taken otherwise. That is too much for a straight guy. He can be bi too,
it doesn't matter. But the fact is, he chose social conveniance, and it will and has been taking a toll
on his already shaddy inner peace. I would add that Kaworu cannot be the Christ, because Kaworu dates from before the Fall. He hasn't come in our time to redeem us, he isn't human at all.
It wouldn't make sense for an angel to come and judge us from the height of its own superior nature : if the christ wouldn't have actually suffered the Passion, there would be equally no meaning in doing this for us all. I think people are a little led astray by the perfect image of the Christ catholics gave us. In other text, like the Apogryph of Jean, he is much more human, laughing a lot.

So the Christ must be someone that does know what is being human, it can only be Shinji.
Is there really a sacrifice if to begin with, you don't value what left behind ?
The Christ didn't really die on the cross in the legend, but the earthly Christ did die.
It would mean that he sacrified his own "mundane human' part, to ascend to a greater plane of existence : in that sense, Shinji did sacrifices Eva01, which represents his own sexual pulsions(ordinary ones ?) as well as wanted to destroy the previous object of his desires, as a final act of renunciation to his mother figure. So Shinji symbolicaly, seems to me to have ascended already by the HIP, despite the fact he seemingly refused it. But he isn't complete yet, he still don't know what is beyond the conventional way of looking at life and living. He doesn't have anymore Kaworu to teach him the angelic ways of love and life(no pun intended). He seemed to have changed more substancially in 25' and 26'.
Anyway, he refuses complete death, and he changed a lot in order to be able to make living in this world something meaningful. Isn't that the true meaning of christian redemption or baptism ? To change oneself so that living can start meaning anything at all ?

My point in the beggining, that the former lillith, aka Rei in human complied to what lillith stands for usually. But the one of the film, didn't that much, with all that bloody vagina imagery.
The same with her number of wings : twelve if I counted well, like Shogoki, like ...Satan, crap ! It doesn't make sense, ergo the author messed it up.
Back to plain old NGE.
Death to the FAR stuff.
Let's rehabilitate Gendo
and ... death Yui's detractors !!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 am

I'm skimming through because of little time but the religious symbolism is supposed to be equally or even less referenced in the rebuilds because of approximation. We got spears and scrolls and stuff but for example all I get from anything cross shaped or anyone cross posing is foreshadowing of death. It sets stages. I never really researched this stuff though.
The narrative welcomes non Japanese myths but ultimately denies them and their worlds set to an end and the apocalypse never carries out, instead you are reborn in Japanese religious fashion as a new individual (think not-actually living gatsu from berserk, cursed undeads from dark souls, stuff).

edit
Something little about the eyes imagery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdadTN2rYxw
Kept happening through tv eva, eoe (eva01 bursting from megarei's eye), rebuild stuff.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I think he demonstrated a sensivity to the beauty of the relation between K and S,
that can not be taken otherwise. That is too much for a straight guy.

This just in: Humans incapable of putting themselves in the shoes of other humans and thinking of things from their perspectives. Gays cannot write straight characters and gays are lovecraftian incomprehensible beings to heterosexuals.

I would add that Kaworu cannot be the Christ, because Kaworu dates from before the Fall. He hasn't come in our time to redeem us, he isn't human at all.

Um. Kaworu is 15 years old. And he is fundamentally human. All Angels are, in the Eva universe.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:19 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Um. Kaworu is 15 years old. And he is fundamentally human. All Angels are, in the Eva universe.

Not to mention that Kaworu is basically a god (Adam) reborn into human form, and dies so that humanity may live. If that's not an example of a christ figure, I don't know what is.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: Anno screwing up Lilith's imagery: Lilith has lots of imagery associated with her. She is the mother of monsters, after all.

Re: Shinji as Christ figure: Shinji is a horribly flawed everyman, not a savior. That's why his story carries the weight it does. Kaworu is a sort of Christ figure (though his sacrifice results in misery instead of salvation; humanity (with Shinji as its proxy) has to do the heavy lifting on that front by itself).

Re: the beauty of Shinji and Kaworu's relationship: This is a relationship that resulted in death for one party and soul-crushing misery for the other, so I'm really not seeing the beauty. The happiness was a false happiness based on deception and misunderstanding. Kaworu has no conception of what love actually is, let alone what it means to a 14-year-old boy.

evanescenteõndine: If you call a show shitty and then admit to never having seen it you immediately discredit everything you have to say about said show.

mehdi_saada: The religious imagery has meaning in the same way the show's naming conventions have meaning: it offers some insight into what's going on but doesn't carry its actual religious baggage with it. For example, Arael is the Angel of Birds, and so the Arael in NGE appears in high orbit and stays there. Lilith is the first woman and Eve the second, and so Lilith is a Seed of Life while the Eva is a copy of such. Tabris is the Angel of Free Will, and so Kaworu makes a deliberate choice to end his life for the sake of humanity. That is the extent of the meaning of the religious imagery; reading more into is is misleading and ultimately not terribly enlightening.

That said, there is room for speculation when viewing things through a religious lens: for example, Christ was crucified and later reborn so that he could bring salvation for humanity, so perhaps Yui was crucified and later reborn so she could bring salvation to . . . the Angels? NGE2 plays with this a bit, and it would certainly make Yui's actions throughout the show a bit more coherent. Nothing really supporting this viewpoint -- it's pure fanwank -- but it's a good illustration of how the religious imagery in the show and movie might be useful for speculating about unanswered questions.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Lilith is the first woman and Eve the second, and so Lilith is a Seed of Life while the Eva is a copy of such.

I thought Anno chose the name Evangelion simply because it sounded complicated?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:46 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I thought Anno chose the name Evangelion simply because it sounded complicated?

Yes, but even so it remains true that "Eve" is an alternate form of "Eva". They are variations on the same Hebrew name.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

mehdi_saada
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:51 pm

I will see the rebuild, but as I read all the script, the story and the rebuildverse, I can at least say it isn't related the least to what I said, it is another universe. Sorry, I'll say 'shitty' the moment I would have seen them, but I am positive my opinion won't change that much as far as the storyline per se is concerned, but I'll get new insights on the author's motivation, which is always a good thing for sure.
I can't connect anymore with evanescente~ondine, so the double login, sorry.

Does anyone think Ramiel is human in an ordinary way ? Of course in Eva humanity is very large, but I am talking of ordinary humans, that could relate truly to us. I maintain that we shall think as characters representing something more than being biographic. Rei and K are more symbolic than anything. They hardly stand for an ordinary human personal evolution ... do someone change body and mind like Rei's soul ? Hardly a common experience.
As for the feeling of beauty in the relation, well, as french people say : tastes and colours can't be argued with -o-;
I don't have the same comprehension of Shinji at all, to me he is flawed, but yet more sensitive and human than the others, which maybe explain why he suffers so much. He struggles for meaning in life, which is pretty difficult in Eva, but nevertheless worth the try :wink:
It wasn't mere platitude : of course to understand someone you have to feel the same to a certain extent. So yeah, extremely 100% straight guys horrified by the thought of gay-ness, would never write good gay characters ...

Compared to Shinji, Asuka being a rude bitch unsensitive and eager to hurt other looking less self-confident than herself (she fits the description anyway) being as well a stereotype of the bold feminist yet alluring woman in anime, got horribly raped and eaten by the MPE, which I read somewhere shall represent the perverse carnal urges of otakus. That is, even when she met again her mother and got her confidence again in EoE, all she does is for nut. Very different from Shinji's berserk mode, where he comes invincible. That was always something I wanted to understand in a deeper way than just plot convenance.
Asuka isn't to become a legend, because what her egoistic motivation for fighting in the Eva( thus for me, what she seeks in love) are wrong from top to bottom. Shinji seeks for transcendance, or unconditional love if you want, Asuka fights for her oversized ego, even in EoE. To me it is the basic difference in their character, what I see each second she is on screen :slapslap: . She was reborn too in the end, but she lived relatively more hardships than Shinji to do so.

EDIT: to make it clearer, what I called 'true love' in the title, is largely akin to is sought is tantrism. That is, basicaly, a kind of love that can be physical, without losing the character of universality and pure apropriateness the Bouddha, or Jesus are said to have had. Something that can be highly personal, in its expression, yet unbounded by social convention, or individual character.
It's pretty uncommon, I give you that, but it's not for nothing love is sot disfunctional in NGE and in our world, and that the first and sole character displaying it, isn't even a proprer human.

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:45 am

@ mehdi_saada and evanescenteõndine: You two sound like you have that DaVinchi Code/Fpendulum/Voynich manuscript/Money Pit Syndrome that some fans get after watching evangelion.

I remember when I got that. I was in the librarylooking up angels after watching Evangelion. I was amazed that even though I was Christian I'd never heard of Lilith or even knew there were other angels with names. Thus began my own Da Vinchi Code like quest to find the mysterious meaning to evangelion. There was no murder, mansion or secret society in this quest though. It was mostly just Tom Hanks in the can, looking a the picture of clouds he has hanging up in the toilet and seeing different shapes in the fluffy whiteness.

that can not be taken otherwise. That is too much for a straight guy. He can be bi too,
it doesn't matter. But the fact is, he chose social conveniance, and it will and has been taking a toll
on his already shaddy inner peace.

You sound like you're just wearing Brokeback Blinders to me.

mehdi_saada
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:22 pm

For the second time, it is me and me :blush: . I screwed up the first account I dunno how, and I ask the modo to overwrite all old posts of the first account with the name of this one right now. I'll try and do it myself somehow, or destroy the first account if I find how.

Well, as far as I am concerned, I am used to do that kind of jungian analysis on other mythes, and it always was fruitful is term of meaning and insights. So why not? Once you accept there could me more truths in something than what was in the author's conscious mind, the possibilities are limitless. The fact you couldn't reach out to satisfacting insights earlier, doesn't mean there is no truth to be reach out the way I do. It means you, could find the right keys of understanding, if there are. Nothing more :gavel:

Second point, you visibly don't know what the need for social conveniance is and what is social pressure neither :tomato-duck: . You wouldn't laugh at me if it was the case. Hiding what you are, is but most of the time the simplest thing to do, if certainly not the bravest or best, and the other one is to flee society but in some situations it's not possible. Would you say such hypocrisies neven happen ?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Well, as far as I am concerned, I am used to do that kind of jungian analysis on other mythes, and it always was fruitful is term of meaning and insights. So why not? Once you accept there could me more truths in something than what was in the author's conscious mind, the possibilities are limitless. The fact you couldn't reach out to satisfacting insights earlier, doesn't mean there is no truth to be reach out the way I do. It means you, could find the right keys of understanding, if there are. Nothing more Order! ORDER!!!

One's disagreement does not mean one's misunderstanding.

Second point, you visibly don't know what the need for social conveniance is and what is social pressure neither . You wouldn't laugh at me if it was the case. Hiding what you are, is but most of the time the simplest thing to do, if certainly not the bravest or best, and the other one is to flee society but in some situations it's not possible. Would you say such hypocrisies neven happen ?

Yes.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:50 pm

View Original Postmehdi_saada wrote:So yeah, extremely 100% straight guys horrified by the thought of gay-ness, would never write good gay characters ...

This is a ridiculous sentiment. It amounts to saying no one can write a character who isn't just like them -- men can't write good female characters, blacks can't write good white characters, etc. It is simply not true.

Past that, what makes you think Anno is either 100% straight, or horrified by the thought of homosexuality? As far as I can tell there's no evidence of that in either his interviews or his body of work.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”