Seele, Post 3I

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You're acting like it's optional. They can reject him all they like, but his soul will still be liberated from his body and he'll still be floating around like everyone else when all is said and done. It's possible that in the EoE version he doesn't get mashed into Instrumentality, but . . . so?

I guess. Whenever I watch that scene though, that's what feels like the bite and sting for Gendo (No pun intended). After what happened to Yui he worked at nothing but his own goal/agenda at the cost of hurting others, especially Shinji. It is the recompense for all that. The tables are turned, it's thrown in his face and he gets chomped.

Ikari Gendo, denied.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I guess. Whenever I watch that scene though, that's what feels like the bite and sting for Gendo (No pun intended). After what happened to Yui he worked at nothing but his own goal/agenda at the cost of hurting others, especially Shinji. It is the recompense for all that. The tables are turned, it's thrown in his face and he gets chomped.

Ikari Gendo, denied.

Sure. But he's denied Yui, not Instrumentality. He's still in there with everyone else, but he doesn't get to go with her when she leaves. That's his real punishment.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Sure. But he's denied Yui, not Instrumentality. He's still in there with everyone else, but he doesn't get to go with her when she leaves. That's his real punishment.

I recall Reichu taking issue with this. Not with particularly spirited argumentation but rather a kind of gut feeling. Anybody remember that conversation? Where it kept bugging her about the way he was Instrumentalized, and she kept feeling like maybe his soul really was brought into the core with her with that symbolic bite? But Reichu's on hiatus so I guess there's no one to take up that charge. :shrug:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:32 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I recall Reichu taking issue with this. Not with particularly spirited argumentation but rather a kind of gut feeling. Anybody remember that conversation? Where it kept bugging her about the way he was Instrumentalized, and she kept feeling like maybe his soul really was brought into the core with her with that symbolic bite? But Reichu's on hiatus so I guess there's no one to take up that charge. :shrug:

I suppose that's possible, but if that happened wouldn't Gendo be a bit happier about it?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:It feels like that would be true in the TV series but not so much in EoE.

I don't know if this or the other way around. I mean, in the EoTV version, I felt she was less motivated, while in EoE she was more determined as a character to get shit done.

I might do a rewatch of NGE. I'll make a topic about it, 'take notes and do some simple commentary.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I don't know if this or the other way around. I mean, in the EoTV version, I felt she was less motivated, while in EoE she was more determined as a character to get shit done.

The way I read it that's pretty much exactly what he was saying.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Mistake on my part, misread the thing. Sorry.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I suppose that's possible, but if that happened wouldn't Gendo be a bit happier about it?

Gendo also seemed to show remorse at the end about how he treated Shinji. Maybe he regretted being alone with Yui (if he was indeed absorbed in Unit 01) and instead wanted to be with Shinji as well.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 pm

View Original PostLurkis wrote:Gendo also seemed to show remorse at the end about how he treated Shinji. Maybe he regretted being alone with Yui (if he was indeed absorbed in Unit 01) and instead wanted to be with Shinji as well.

I think that was actually Gendo going "Yeah, now that i think about it, i've really been an utter dick towards Shinji and after this bit of self-reflexion, i think i've took a few wrong decisions in how to live my life, i'm sorry you had to suffer for all of this, Shinji" More than regretting something he won't get, i had the impression he was regretting all the cruel things he did during and before the series.

Monk Ed: I think i saw that discussion you were talking about, but i barely remember it. I think Reichu said something like "The idea of Gendo getting brought into the core to travel with Yui is oh so romantic, but unlikely/impossible" I'm specially not sure whether she said unlikely or impossible.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Sure. But he's denied Yui, not Instrumentality.

I'll settle for that.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:32 am

Wouldn't there have been more indication that Gendo was absorbed into the core? I know most people on here say that "Anno is a troll" and such, but there as no indication that Gendo was with Yui as she embarked into space.

Two things come to mind: Yui's monologue to Shinji right before he re-materialzed in EoE. I feel that Gendo would have made an inspired statement along with her. Also, the final lines of EoTV: "To my father, thank you. To my mother, farewell." Wouldn't Shinji have said farewell to both of them?

And like Bagheera said, Gendo was around during EoTV, which means he made it into Instrumentality. Then again... Yui was in EoTV's final scene among the others, so I guess I can't say appearing in EoTV excludes one from being in Unit-01's core. So there's the caveat to my second idea. And the first, I suppose, could be just Anno's way of ambiguous storytelling.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”