Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:46 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:is it as much like Grand Theft Auto as people make it out to be? granted, my only experience with Lego games are the Star Wars editions, but those were fun as hell

Yeah, it's sorta like GTA but you're a cop. I mean, you do still have missions and stuff you hafta do, like the Lego Star Wars games, but it's got freeplay as well.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Bought Civ V Gold as it was on sale this weekend.

SCIENTIFIC SUBJUGATION

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:25 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Bought Civ V Gold as it was on sale this weekend.

How much better/worse is it than Civ IV?
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:The disk in my Gamecube would always do a bunch of DJ-style, record-scratches whenever a cutscene or otherwise shocking moment was about to happen, it became a very unwelcome warning beacon and spoiled a lot of the experience.

I never had this problem. In fact I think I remember at times being excited by that noise because it signaled that something special was about to happen, but not what.
Was this replay on a Wii?

No, it was GameCube.
Those leech zombies were a pain, I always dreaded encounters with them, even when I was packing the magnum.

Use the molotovs. It's what they're there for. Three molotovs and they're dead. These make them the easiest monsters in the game; I never even get scratched by 'em anymore.

CJD wrote:I am amused by your bemusement.

I am pleased by your understanding of the word "bemusement". Even professional works (I'm thinking of Nier offhand) sometimes use it to mean "amusement".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I am pleased by your understanding of the word "bemusement". Even professional works (I'm thinking of Nier offhand) sometimes use it to mean "amusement".

My honor forces me to confess, I originally did write "I am bemused" however my gut insisted it was wrong, so in my caution I googled it.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Just watched and read through a playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei IV to see how it stacks up to the other titles, this is by far my favorite game in the franchise. The story is surprisingly well done, as it takes a more traditional step in storytelling compared to my previous favorite game in the franchise Nocturne. The main cast is great and by far my favorite in any game ever. With this woman (Isabeau) in particular really grabbing my interest throughout my viewing and the most sympathetic, relatable character in the story as well as my favorite:
The soundtrack is pretty good with great boss music and the visuals by far being the best on the system so far. I don't like some of the demon redesigns (lol Lilith turned into genderbent Beezlebub) though I liked the new archangel designs. Gameplay looks great, battles looked difficult enough to warrant the new player assistance options implemented in this new title. This game could easily become a great anime if we get a better studio and director than the dreaded Kishi and his crew (already ruined P4, DS2, Dangan Ronpa, and most likely P3 and DS1).
Anyways, if you're interested in this game I say get it when it comes out next month as it's nothing short of great.

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:50 am

I spent all night to complete that fucken Shenmue, I'm glad I completed this old shit.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:33 am

This is kinda weird, but, I'm back heavy into Resident Evil 6 (The Mercenaries).

It's all because of Resident Evil: Revelations. I played more of it today, and my initial opinion has become only more cemented: it's got none of the atmosphere nor supply management of the early entries of the series, nor the advancements in action gameplay of the later entries, and this became the most apparent at the point in the game at which I have had the most (not least!) fun so far: that first boss fight. It was fun, but at some point during it I thought to myself of how much more fun it would be if I could duck and roll around like you can in Resident Evil 6... So naturally, later I played exactly that game.

And it's so much more fun now than the last time I played it, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think I'm playing it differently; I remember the gripes I previously developed with it and for some reason they just don't apply anymore, and maybe that's why. For example, I used to think the game had become a bore because of how it felt like it forced me to play, but this time I'm approaching it with a different attitude, one less obsessed with trying to play every encounter in The Mercenaries as optimally as possible (i.e. I'm no longer trying to melee every enemy for the time bonus), and I think because I'm no longer going for difficult things (like trying to destroy every enemy in a group with melee for maximum time bonus) and getting inevitably frustrated when I fail I'm enjoying it more.

Somehow I've found my smile (for this game) again, and I wonder if I have RE:R to thank for it indirectly.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:39 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:How much better/worse is it than Civ IV?

It's different.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am

I don't know anything about Civ V, but I'm looking forward to playing Europa Universalis IV. I'd really like a new Crusader Kings, though.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:49 pm

I found Civ V to be harder than IV I guess. I can normally at least get through a game of IV on the default difficulty if not win. V on the other hand, I almost always get wiped in the first 15 minutes. Then again, I tend to be awful at strategy games that aren't Tactical RPGs.

That aside: I like how the unit groupings work in V, as well as the customize-ability of the political workings. I dislike how they switched to hexagonal movement - used to be able to move eight ways, y u go to 6? Think the dev team involved with V played a bit too much Catan (that said, I like Catan)
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:15 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Yeah, it's sorta like GTA but you're a cop. I mean, you do still have missions and stuff you hafta do, like the Lego Star Wars games, but it's got freeplay as well.

Can I sleep with Lego hookers?
*sigh* just kill me already.

sephiros
Lilith

Postby sephiros » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:finally :D

Huh....
I heard it was going to be some kind of cross between the old battlefronts and Battlefield, but that's a little more than I expected. Hopefully they don't tread all over what made the old games great trying to update it. Anyway, 'bout time. Been too long, I can't even play the old ones anymore. Too scratched up, and looks too bad on HDTVs.

Bought Civ V Gold as it was on sale this weekend.

I also ended up getting Civ:V on sale. I never had an opportunity to play the previous ones, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to play this one much either yet. Sometime this weekend I picked up a "FBI MoneyPak" virus, and only just got rid of it. However, I did get a chance to look through a bunch of Steam Workshop mods, and saw a NGE civilization mod. Should be fun taking over the world via Evas and N2s for kicks and giggles.
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm

D-does it have full land-to-space capability like it was supposed to years ago?

BEST THING EVER! DUHUHU
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Anyone else tapping into their inner weaboo and playing the Hatsun Miku demo on PS3 right now...... :bigeyes:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Anyone else tapping into their inner weaboo and playing the Hatsun Miku demo on PS3 right now...... :bigeyes:

I would if I had a PS3.
Last edited by CJD on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Lorkhan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 am

It wasn't the Ebonheart pact that set me off (I can half convince myself that its actually a disgruntled Telvanni member with Nordic mercenaries and Argonian slaves and the entire war is blown out of proportion) so much as it was their current depiction of the Altmer. Kirkbrides reaction to their queen was...less then subtle if I recall that whole stint correctly.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 am

Steam is shooting my wallet.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”