Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

hui43210
Lilin
Lilin

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Am I the one who finds the last of us boring as hell? :rei_meh:
Is the 3.0 spoiler policy gone?.... Cool, then I'm nominating myself as EvaGeeks 1# Sakura Suzuhara fan/nerd.

I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm

View Original PostOmegagouki wrote:So far I've been assigned Blue Mage (Bartz), Monk (Lenna), and Time Mage (Faris)

You can cross-train them between those 3 + (whatever) though, right?

and how did you get blue mage and monk when they're both from the same crystal set?
Last edited by NemZ on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:25 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Am I the one who finds the last of us boring as hell? :rei_meh:
How far are you in? I've heard it takes awhile for the ball to get rolling.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 am

Tonight I finally beat Alan Wake, which I'd been plowing through over the past few days to get it done so as to not have it hanging in the back of my mind all summer and which I hadn't touched for months before that because it had gotten just that boring and tedious. Someone said they'd be interested in what I have to say about it, so here I am saying something about it.

Where better to start than at the end? This was my reaction to the ending:
Alan Wake ending  SPOILER: Show

...That's it?

I couldn't believe it. No, I mean, I literally did not believe that I had seen the ending to the game. I thought maybe I had made a wrong choice somewhere and had gotten some kind of trick false ending and that I would have to redo some of the final chapter a different way to get the "true" ending, or, at worst, collect all the damn manuscript pages or coffee thermi or do it all over again on Nightmare Mode, because the devs wouldn't be that cruel as to deny me an ending after all that buildup and torture, would they? The game was enough of a chore the first time around.

Then I checked a FAQ and, yup, it looks like that really is the ending.

The worst part was that I'd just been starting to enjoy the game, not for its gameplay, heavens no! But rather for finally getting resolution to the story. Shit started getting interesting for real near the very end when it seemed like maybe Alice had left Alan at some point, because that would put an interesting twist on what had previously seemed like a very obvious "what a twist!" ending in which it would turn out that Alan really was still back at that clinic being treated for schizophrenia (because yeah, that really does make more sense and I had come to assume ever since that little fact was revealed in episode 4 that everything thereafter, just like everything before it, was just Alan's delusion).

There was just no reason for this. No excuse. The sequel-hook-ism here is so blatant, so unapologetic, and so unnecessary, that I felt downright insulted. The one thing about the game that is interesting, the story (and only just barely), and you won't even give me a complete one of those?!

What the hell is even left to have happen? Everything was pointing towards a conclusion; the story was rapidly barreling towards one -- and a potentially awesome one, too, a nice psychological one that might have made all the suffering I'd done before have some kind of payoff. I was hoping for, nay, expecting, a Silent Hill 2-style revelatory ending about the true state of Alan's marriage, the lies he told himself, his psychological breakdown... There was so much good that could have come from this! And it all got thrown out the window for the sake of, what, a blatant demand for more money? Did they really think they'd get away with this?

I thought things would turn around. I thought Alan Wake's trite, boring, boilerplate-with-at-least-a-semblance-of-greater-depth story might pick up. I thought it would all finally mean something in the end. And it didn't.

I remember when episode 4 started, titled "the truth", and I thought, wow, they're giving away the ending this early? I mean you're just putting it out there that this was all actually a schizophrenic delusion by Alan because he couldn't accept the death of his wife? I mean, if it had been done better and not come up so abruptly in what was not even close to the proper final act, maybe it could have been decent, or even cool. And maybe if the story had actually been given an ending even after it had gone on like that, that could have been cool too.

Color me disappointed.

EDIT: One minor caveat: Because I was so paranoid about doing the wrong thing at the end and getting the "wrong" ending (I wasn't sure if there'd be only one), I tried just always doing what would move me forward once I got to the place with the floating words you must active with the flashlight. However, the FAQ I checked after I beat the game says that you should activate all of them, and listen to the conversations on the phones. So I missed some content. But I have no idea how much if at all this extra dialogue might have influenced my opinion of the ending.

On the plus side, the game looks great, or at least the environments do*. I was rather amazed at how effortlessly the framerate was maintained on my machine (no slouch, but with a now-pretty-old graphics card) despite the sweeping vistas, and the foliage effects in the wind were pretty neat. And I remember remarking to myself about how gorgeous the water was.

* The faces in the game are notoriously ugly.

Annnd that's about the best I can say about it.

I can say this without spoiling anything: Don't waste your time. Although the story is not quite as simple or trite as it first appears, even after a few revelations it doesn't get that much better, and whatever payoff you're expecting, it will never come.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 am

You should play American Nightmare, I don't remember well, but I think it takes place 3 years after the first chapter.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:43 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:You should play American Nightmare, I don't remember well, but I think it takes place 3 years after the first chapter.

I started American Nightmare right afterwards, hoping to find the rest of the story, but quit not a minute into the actual gameplay because it seemed that it had nothing whatsoever to do with what I'd just played*, a complete non sequitur or side story of some kind. That's not to say I'll never go back to it, I was really just checking it to see if it might continue right where the thing I'd been playing had left off.

* (actual but minor spoiler for Alan Wake ending)  SPOILER: Show

* Well, there was "Mr. Scratch", whoever the fuck that was, but he was a non-sequitur in the first place, this thing who just shows up briefly at the cusp of the ending and has seemingly nothing to do with anything that's going on.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 am

Minecraft: Twilight Forest mod
An impromptu visit to a Dark Tower concluded at the top of a ladder with an lurker creeper ;-;

@Alan Wake I recall there being at least one DLC chapter released for the XBox 360 version (as there was a card for it in my copy), but I haven't played and so I don't know if it adds anything to the six chapters of the vanilla game, nor if they were added to the PC version.
Voluntary Illusion.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:36 am

Wow Monk, I have to say I'm surprised. I've never seen someone so disappointed with what I've pretty unanimously seen praised as, at worst, an average game, and at best, an underrated gem cursed by the launch of Red Dead Redemption.

The worst part was that I'd just been starting to enjoy the game, not for its gameplay

The gameplay wasn't the best but it wasn't so bad as to be tedious, not in my opinion at least. The flashlight mechanic was rather unique and really I don't see what was so bad about it.

As for the ending, it resolves some but the rest you have to figure out for yourself. The game doesn't hand feed you the answers. It's all there, though, you just have to figure it out (Or just do google searches for wiki pages and forum discussions like I did). If you want to complain about that that's fine I suppose, not everyone likes puzzle stories, but I hope you see the irony of complaining about a story that doesn't give immediate closure on an Evangelion fan forum.

SPOILER: Show
IIRC when the darkness took hold Alan used his writing to work a way out of it. That's why the manuscript pages you find all detail things that just happened and are about to happen, those are the pages of the story Alan wrote. The Darkness itself is bound to the story, it has to obey it. Alan tried to, and mostly managed to, outwit the darkness by writing ambiguities into the story. That's the key, while all the characters are bound to the story it's what's not written that is manipulable.

Mr. Scratch gets more explanation in American Nightmare but I haven't got around to trying that yet. I'm pretty sure Alan wrote him to take his place in the real world while he was trapped in the Darkness' realm, but Mr. Scratch himself was evil, so American Nightmare is about taking him down and trying to break out of it.

Yea there's a big hook for a sequel but that's so common these days, I don't understand how you can complain about that. It was designed to be a franchise, that's just part of the video game, and movie for that matter, industry.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I can say this without spoiling anything: Don't waste your time. Although the story is not quite as simple or trite as it first appears, even after a few revelations it doesn't get that much better, and whatever payoff you're expecting, it will never come.

And yea, I'm definitely gonna have to disagree with this recommendation. Alan Wake really is one of the better games I've played and a solid 8 out of 10 in my book. The combat is satisfactory, the soundtrack is good, the characters and dialogue were interesting and enjoyable and the story was a delicious puzzle filled with questions that kept me hooked till the very end. My only complaint about the game was that the combat could have used some more variance, which they tried to fix in American Nightmare, and the scares were ruined by the "slow down time when a taken appears" which eliminates any surprise.

Edit: Oh and yea, as Evangelionfan pointed out there's DLC. They help expand upon the ending a bit but you might as well just read the wiki pages for them rather than buy them.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:You can cross-train them between those 3 + (whatever) though, right?

Went with the Natural crystal option, which basically means one class assigned to one character the whole game from their corresponding crystal, so unfortunately not.

and how did you get blue mage and monk when they're both from the same crystal set?

That's where my registering Random comes in, which can net you a class from the new crystal or a previous (Wind's always wind, but Water can be water or wind, Fire can be wind water or fire, Earth can wind up being any of the four.

And now it's time for Sol Cannon without multitarget healing or a way to do heavy lightning damage without breaking rods...:cringe: at least Galuf can still wear a ribbon to counteract Aging Missile but I may still have to grind out the 150k Gil for Angel Rings for the other three. :hahaha:
Last edited by Omegagouki on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am

View Original PostOmegagouki wrote:a way to do heavy lightning damage without breaking rods...:cringe:

Hmm... if you give a monk the equip rods ability from time mage and hand out lightning rods, will that make Kick lighting-based?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Probably not. But, hey, it only took 4 attempts to beat the thing. a reset, a party wipe, rodbreaking ragequit win and subsequent reset, then the legit attempt. Didn't have to buy any angel rings, either. Just a little bit of getting some elixirs from the ship graveyard for healing, and then...

Cast Slow on the cannon (Faris), used Lv. 5 Doom (Bartz) for the missile launchers. Hasted and put regen on everyone (Faris), Buildup (Lenna), Emission (Bartz), and attacked physically with a Coral Sword (Galuf) while using elixirs and Vampire to heal after Surge Beam; only had to heal once, it didn't get off a second shot.

Now for the ruins, Archaeoavis (:facepalm:), and the Earth Crystal. And then the process of going to the you-know-where.
8luh 8luh

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Is Resident Evil 4 any good? I'm considering getting it for PC or possibly PS2 or Wii.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:35 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Is Resident Evil 4 any good? I'm considering getting it for PC or possibly PS2 or Wii.

I've got zero experience with Resident Evil but I know the Gamecube/PS2 version of RE4 is one of the best reviewed games of all time. I remember being jealous that, as an Xbox only gamer, I was unable to play it. I also know that some Resident Evil fans dislike the game for beginning the trend of Resident Evil games being more action oriented than horror oriented. Looking at wikipedia it seems the PC version wasn't as well praised.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:What game are you playing?

Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe. It doesn't consume much resources and can be played with A.I. So i can always play a match whenever i want... I do need to train once in a while though, my maneuvers aren't exactly diamond-perfect and there are still a few things about the plane i don't know :/

I really need to improve my PC so i can play War Thunder.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:10 am

I found the PS3 version of RE4 to be the best, and I say that as someone who now owns 4 damn copies of the game (GCN, PS2, Wii, PS3). The only one I haven't tried is the PC version, nor do I intend to. I didn't like the Wii version so much, so between that and the PS2 I'd go with the PS2. I would rank them as: PS3, PS2, GCN, Wii... probably. That ranking might change slightly if I ever give the Wii version another shot, but I'll likely still keep the PS2 version higher than it.
System Administrator

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe. It doesn't consume much resources and can be played with A.I. So i can always play a match whenever i want... I do need to train once in a while though, my maneuvers aren't exactly diamond-perfect and there are still a few things about the plane i don't know :/

I really need to improve my PC so i can play War Thunder.

CFS3 is still a great game because it was built on the MSFS engine. I still have no idea why Microsoft dropped MSFS, now the closest thing we have is Microsoft Flight, which is just a mindless arcade game.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 am

Posting in the wrong thread :lol:

Jet Set Radio HD

Some people just want to paint the world with despair

This game is an absolute STEAL at 8 bucks, highly recommended
Anyone else play this?

Redtophat
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 am

^I don't own it but I used to play this a lot at a pal's place, it's the shit.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 am

I would, IO, but I already have the Dreamcast version. I suppose I wouldn't mind having the HD version if it's just 8 dollars, though...

In other news...
Smacked him with a sleep sword until its special effect kicked in, then drained him of his MP with Magic Hammer, revived Lenna and went to town on him while he cast Comet with insufficient HP over and over. Bartz MVP.
8luh 8luh

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:43 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:This game is an absolute STEAL at 8 bucks, highly recommended
Anyone else play this?
You're awesome.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”