Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm playing The Saboteur and Deadly Premonition.

The Saboteur is a fun open world sandbox game. I loved Mercenaries but expected that the Saboteur wouldn't be as good. My god, it may be better. So much destruction, and it all ties into gameplay. Blowing up a fuel depot in Just Cause 2 only changes your score, but blowing one up in The Saboteur means that less enemy vehicles chase you in that area. Enemies congregate around destruction targets, so removing them means removing enemies.

Deadly Premonition is basically if David Lynch decided that Twin Peaks should be a videogame. The acting is awkward, the dialogue is stilted, the main character has an imaginary friend that he talks to about his favorite movies, the controls are weird, the animations are jerky, there are misplaced features (there are racing sidemissions in what's supposed to be a horror game), and they reuse the same few tracks over and over again. However, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Everything comes together to just be a fantastic game. I love it.

sephiros
Lilith

Postby sephiros » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You should right this wrong immediately.

I've heard LL was more polished than 2033 but 2033 was still a damn fine game.

LL had much more polished shooting and stealth mechanics than 2033. For example, in 2033, if you got caught while sneaking through a level, you could never shake the enemy. The AI just kinda knows where you are. In LL, they dont just ignore you after hiding in a Shadow for 30 seconds, but at least they settle down a bit after breaking LOS. Those problems never took away from the 2033's atmosphere though.
It'll be weird though, playing LL first. The mystery behind the Dark Ones, having no idea where you're going or what you're doing, made everything much more intense. Then again, I think the best time I had playing 2033 was subsequent playthroughs. I already knew what would happen, so I ended up playing slower, taking my time, and just absorbing everything.
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Haven't had much time for games because of studying but just thought i'd mention all these pictures of War Thunder make me want to play more and more. Really ought to find a way to improve my PC.

Also, i hope this doesn't come off as pretentious or smug because it really isn't the intention, but i'm surprised at how many of you guys seem to fly with the instructor.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Also, i hope this doesn't come off as pretentious or smug because it really isn't the intention, but i'm surprised at how many of you guys seem to fly with the instructor.

It's Arcade mode. No one plays with realistic battle controles unless you have a joystick and the balls of Joachim Marseille.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:It's Arcade mode. No one plays with realistic battle controles unless you have a joystick and the balls of Joachim Marseille.

It might be good to have some practice sessions every now and then, siemas aren't the best opponents, luckily for you dream in this game you can choose matchmaking servers, compared to World of Tanks. I should practice carrier landings, though I doubt I'll get as many as Eric Brown.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Whew, this battle had the potential to be excruciatingly long. Thankfully, my Jirachi is a champ.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:It's Arcade mode. No one plays with realistic battle controles unless you have a joystick and the balls of Joachim Marseille.

I'll admit i'm a bit confused by the statement, since as far as i know War Thunder's physics and aerodynamics are relatively realistic (or as close as they could be, anyways) so even if the controls were simple wouldn't inexperienced pilots still be able to get into an attitude/position that could be, uh, stalling for them? Or does the instructor "wrestle" control from you and puts you in a proper attitude before that happens?

It might be good to have some practice sessions every now and then, siemas aren't the best opponents, luckily for you dream in this game you can choose matchmaking servers, compared to World of Tanks. I should practice carrier landings, though I doubt I'll get as many as Eric Brown.

Thanks, i don't know if i would be good enought to fight anyone (specially agile planes like the Spitfire or such and/or bombers) but it's good to know. And while you were surely referring to practice in the game, you might want to check the "flying lessons" in this game. It will take you a while though. A good landing seems to be a generally slow-paced and mechanical process where you carefully determine your airspeed, altitude and glide distance and make required adjustments in attitude throughout the process. I don't have any experience with landing in a carrier but i imagine there's less of a margin of error than in the ground. Hope that helps a bit.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:you might want to check the "flying lessons" in this game.

You've just brought back great memories of doing low visibility ILS approaches using the PMDG 737 or the Level D 767.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:You've just brought back great memories of doing low visibility ILS approaches using the PMDG 737 or the Level D 767.

Heh, that does sound like fun (if a bit scary). Haven't had much time to check the game outside the flying lessons, so i'm afraid i don't know many of the environment and plane options. With low visibility you mean you can't see anything outside your instruments and the airport's lights systems, right? Must be a bit surreal.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:I'll admit i'm a bit confused by the statement, since as far as i know War Thunder's physics and aerodynamics are relatively realistic (or as close as they could be, anyways) so even if the controls were simple wouldn't inexperienced pilots still be able to get into an attitude/position that could be, uh, stalling for them? Or does the instructor "wrestle" control from you and puts you in a proper attitude before that happens?

The Instructor issues warnings about certain things, he doesn't take control though.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Heh, that does sound like fun (if a bit scary). Haven't had much time to check the game outside the flying lessons, so i'm afraid i don't know many of the environment and plane options. With low visibility you mean you can't see anything outside your instruments and the airport's lights systems, right? Must be a bit surreal.

In low visibility conditions, you can't even see any lights until you're just a few miles away from the airport. :lol: Trying to find visual cues is useless in IFR weather conditions, so you must rely solely on ILS navigation. It's a little scary at first, but once you've logged hundreds of flight hours, it's only intimidating when strong winds prevent you from landing normally and you find yourself having to peform a crosswind landing by crabbing it in. That still strikes fear into me, and it's not even a real airplane.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Hundreds of hours? Are we talking real-time gameplay hours here?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes, that's real time. I started out on FS2002, so it's not outrageous. :lol: It is true that I used to play it every single day, though, and I even joined a couple of virtual airlines at one point. I'm a hardcore flightsimmer, despite not having as much time to invest in my hobby as I did in the past.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:Yes, that's real time. I started out on FS2002, so it's not outrageous. :lol: It is true that I used to play it every single day, though, and I even joined a couple of virtual airlines at one point. I'm a hardcore flightsimmer, despite not having as much time to invest in my hobby as I did in the past.

Man, it sounds like you really know about planes/flight. Although airline flight isn't really something i'm much into i do have to admit that i admire airline pilots because of all the safety procedures and regular procedures they have to know on top of the basic, plus the difficulty in flying bigger airplanes.

And only vaguely related, but yeah, harsh climates kind of scare me when near the ground, it's one of the reasons i'm not sure if i would dare to pilot a real airplane for a living. I can't say i'm too familiar with instruments yet beyond basics but i suppose that will change with time.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:06 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I can't say i'm too familiar with instruments yet beyond basics but i suppose that will change with time.

If you ever come across something you don't quite understand, feel free to ask me about it. I could even teach you how to use charts. :lol:

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:52 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Resident Evil 0

The disk in my Gamecube would always do a bunch of DJ-style, record-scratches whenever a cutscene or otherwise shocking moment was about to happen, it became a very unwelcome warning beacon and spoiled a lot of the experience. Was this replay on a Wii?

Those leech zombies were a pain, I always dreaded encounters with them, even when I was packing the magnum.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:53 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:I loved Mercenaries but expected that the Saboteur wouldn't be as good. My god, it may be better.

Wait, better than Mercs 1 or 2? Because being better than Mercs 2 isn't much of an achievement, but being better than Mercs 1 is. You're saying it's better than Mercs 1? Man, you just knocked that game up about a hundred notches on my "interested in" list.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Hundreds of hours? Are we talking real-time gameplay hours here?

I am amused by your bemusement.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Been playing LEGO City: Undercover. It's pretty damn fun.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Been playing LEGO City: Undercover. It's pretty damn fun.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:43 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Been playing LEGO City: Undercover. It's pretty damn fun.

is it as much like Grand Theft Auto as people make it out to be? granted, my only experience with Lego games are the Star Wars editions, but those were fun as hell

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”