Sub+dub difference?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 am

I'm considering giving the subs another shot. When I first watched NGE I didn't know anything about Japanese, but since watching hundreds of episodes of other stuff with subtitles, and since I'm taking Japanese at college, I'd probably understand it a bit more. Still, NGE is very emotionally charged, and sometimes it comes through better in English.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:30 am

I dont know if this has been said or not but
apparently in the english dub for EoE Misato says that adam came from liltith but in actuality adam and lilith are equal beings
I think I read this somewhere on [url]http://www.evaotaku.com[/url]
Can someone tell me if this is a reliable source?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:38 am

I'm pretty sure she doesn't say that in the dub.

She does say quite a bit regarding where the eva's came from.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 am

If I recall correctly, that line is one of the big errors in the EoE subtitles.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:58 am

I haven't watched the dub in over a year now, but I'm almost positive Misato says that. But to be honest, with all the shit in the EOE dub, that's one of the things that bothers me the least. I'm much more annoyed by there choice of sound effects. Like when Misato shoots one of the JSDF Soldiers in the head and you hear ketchup squirting (if I recall correctly). It's little details like that which totally ruin the dub for me. That and the god awful voice actor for Fuyutsuki.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:31 am

TriLink12 wrote: I'm much more annoyed by there choice of sound effects. Like when Misato shoots one of the JSDF Soldiers in the head and you hear ketchup squirting (if I recall correctly).

:lol:
Really? I've never noticed that before! God!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:00 pm

See for yourself- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVqLm8glaE

The scene in question starts at 3:45.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:07 pm

TriLink12 wrote:I haven't watched the dub in over a year now, but I'm almost positive Misato says that. But to be honest, with all the shit in the EOE dub, that's one of the things that bothers me the least. I'm much more annoyed by there choice of sound effects. Like when Misato shoots one of the JSDF Soldiers in the head and you hear ketchup squirting (if I recall correctly). It's little details like that which totally ruin the dub for me. That and the god awful voice actor for Fuyutsuki.

Come to think of it
THATS WAY MORE ANNOYING than misatos line screw up
Its just that confused a lot of people
one being me
:roll: <<<<laughs at self
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:20 pm

It probably would have confused me too had I any idea wtf was going on the first time I watched it, but I was too busy trying to wrap my head around other stuff. Besides, it's really one of those things that only the hardcore fans who've seen the show X times care about.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:25 pm

TriLink12 wrote:See for yourself- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVqLm8glaE

The scene in question starts at 3:45.

Haha, that was quite funny! And disturbing a little. Thanks.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:28 pm

As if that cartoony sound effect doesn't ruin the moment's drama! /Sarcasm.

*Headdesk*

What I don't understand about things like that: Isn't there a saying that goes if it ain't broke, don't fix it? :roll:

And sure, make the JSSDF like kill-happy bastards despite the fact their only doing their job!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote: Isn't there a saying that goes if it ain't broke, don't fix it? :roll:

You mean the motto of ADV right? :P

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:38 pm

It would seem so. ;)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And sure, make the JSSDF like kill-happy bastards despite the fact their only doing their job!

There is a historical precedent for that, unfortunately. Try Googling "Einsatzgruppen".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:59 pm

Just did.

Ugh. >_<

In before: Goddamn Bastard Hitler.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 pm

See also "Stanford Prison Experiment".

And just think how the situation would have been briefed to the troops.

@Topic
Since I was first old enough to make the distinction, I've always preferred to watch foreign-language films in the original language rather than with harsh USAn accents overdubbed (even in languages like Polish, Korean, Mandarin or Arabic that I have no grounding in). Melding the spoken voice with the English text becomes pretty much natural very quickly.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Stanford Prison Experiment

I already know about that, seeing as I learned about it in Psych and Stanford is somewhat close-by to my College.

I've always preferred to watch foreign-language films in the original language rather than with harsh USAn accents overdubbed (even in languages like Polish, Korean, Mandarin or Arabic that I have no grounding in).

That's how I feel, too. Although I at least have grounding in Polish. ^_^
One thing I don't understand is why Poland feels the need to use a Lector--One guy dubbing over ALL the voices in a show--as seems really, um, awkward. I watched a Simpsons episode like this and it was the :shock:. Why not just subtitle it instead?

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:That's how I feel, too. Although I at least have grounding in Polish. ^_^
One thing I don't understand is why Poland feels the need to use a Lector--One guy dubbing over ALL the voices in a show--as seems really, um, awkward. I watched a Simpsons episode like this and it was the :shock:. Why not just subtitle it instead?

Its always funny the first couple of times...but I guess it does get old after a while.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:15 pm

This argument is re-directed from here. The other thread is about Rebuild's dub, so I thought we should continue the debate here ^_^

the_seventh_child wrote:I don't see any point, sorry. It's an attempt of a VA to speak German, she tries, she doesn't manage it well. End. It's not affecting other scenes.

So, if you think English VAs are bad, why do you have mouth off about it? By your logic, these VAs were trying and (in your opinion, didn't manage it) - so it's okay, right?

It's the one where she gets the mind rape.

Hmm, and can you explain why that's relevant to the kissing scene? Sorry, I'm really not too good with all this Eva DC/Renewal/etc. stuff :(

CitizenGeek wrote:ADV didn't add those sound effects to deliberately annoy people like you - they done it because they thought it would make those scenes better. It was an honest mistake.

People like me? Whatever.
They've done it because it would make those scenes better? Well they failed. Because there's no purpose on changing it. If they think it's alright to alter the original concept of a scene, they are retarded. What's the next step? Gendo saying jokes?

Yeah, people who would take offence to the alteration of a scene - i.e. people like you ^_^

Yeah, sure, they failed - but, by your logic, they tried so it's okay. I mean, isn't that what you were saying about Miyamura? That she tried but didn't manage it and so it's okay? I mean, come on, those double stantards are a bit ridiculous.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I'm done with the arguing, seriously it's getting to the point where it's tiring.
Alright, bottom line they all tried, some did good some did bad. And some did really bad. End of story.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”