Sub+dub difference?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:02 am

I still got the message that there was a reason for Gendo being like that it in the sub.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:42 am

I've been watching the dubs ever since I became an eva fan (2 years ago) I've watched the series 6 times and I plan of watching it again today in subs.

Just when I watched episode 1 in the subs I didn't really feel like Shinji had any emotion like he did in the dub. Like when he screams "I can't pilot this thing!" In english he screams it, in the subs it sounds like he is just raising his voice a little.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 am

In the anime, Shinji's main emotional response is apathy; as expected from someone on the edge of depression.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:14 am

Mr. Tines wrote:In the anime, Shinji's main emotional response is apathy; as expected from someone on the edge of depression.

heh, guess I would only half get that from the dubs huh?
Fuyutsuki: It's hot
Gendo: Yes...

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:53 pm

That's actually something that I was thinking about....I never expected him to SCREAM about the thing...I mean, it's his first time experiencing it. He's needed to save the world....and he's screaming? No, if he doesn't want to pilot it, he should just say so, not scream. Especially from a depressed type of person (I've been there and done that, and never once thought of yelling anything).

Good thing you caught me before I've had time to watch the subs, lol.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Knoxer wrote:I've been watching the dubs ever since I became an eva fan (2 years ago) I've watched the series 6 times and I plan of watching it again today in subs.

Just when I watched episode 1 in the subs I didn't really feel like Shinji had any emotion like he did in the dub. Like when he screams "I can't pilot this thing!" In english he screams it, in the subs it sounds like he is just raising his voice a little.

I guess you didn't see End of Evangelion in the subs, right? Jesus Christ, that must be one of the best voice acting performances ever!
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:17 pm

The dubs don't change the actuall story; What they do change is the overall tone of some of the characters. Like Shinji, who just comes across as apathetic in the sub; In the Dub, He comes across a whiny prick, so on and so forth.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Well after watching the first 15 episodes in subs I must say that there is a big improvment over the dubs. It starts off a little shaky, but after episode 3 is when you really start to appreciate it.

Also the surround sound quality on the subs seems to be better o.O Not sure why though...
Fuyutsuki: It's hot
Gendo: Yes...

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:45 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Though dub-Shinji imo acts whinier than in the sub and is the reason (I think) why he gets such a bad rap for being a "gay crybaby"
What's wrong with that? *Cries* >>>>>>>.>
same time I have the feeling Spike was attempting to portray him as Manga-Shinji. :shock: (Actually having an attitude.) I dunno, this just could be 'cause Spike so said himself he wishes Shinji would have "butched up" more. :roll: Apparently Mr. Spencer doesn't get that's the whole POINT of Shinji; he doesn't act like your stereotypical heroes who save the day. He's human like everybody else.

According to the ADV commentaries (A Once In A Lifetime Experience because you'll never want to see them again) Spencer is the least Shinji like person ever, outgoing and ...loud and does pull-ups (or something) in the booth between takes. Yet he kept getting Shinjiesque rolls. Serves him right =P

Reichu (among others) always insist that dub-Gendo has a different character than sub Gendo but I'm not watching the Dub again to find out. :|
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:18 pm

I find it hard to compare it to the sub since I don't understand all tones and other things in Japanese. As much as I enjoy the original cast, I feel that it's a bit of a bother to read while watching. Also, reading things would have less effect than hearing them.

I don't think the voices are that bad either. The German is also better.

The only ones I didn't really like are Ritsuko and Hikari.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Barinax wrote:I find it hard to compare it to the sub since I don't understand all tones and other things in Japanese. As much as I enjoy the original cast, I feel that it's a bit of a bother to read while watching. Also, reading things would have less effect than hearing them.

Watch more subs. You will get over not being able to pay attention to tones of voice while reading the subtitles. It just takes a little experience.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:52 pm

I watch quite a few subs. I am able to pay attention to the audio, its just that... I don't speak Japanese, and I don't understand the all the tones. Some of them I do, but... things probably make more sense if you understood Japanese.

I also forgot to mention, I didn't like Kaworu's voice (Director's Cut version was decent) and a lot of the new voices for the movies.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Barinax wrote:I also forgot to mention, I didn't like Kaworu's voice (Director's Cut version was decent) and a lot of the new voices for the movies.

Are you kidding? Black Hyuga was the best thing to ever happen to Eva.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Barinax wrote:things probably make more sense if you understood Japanese.

After a few months of watching subs, and only a very little book reading, you'd be surprised quite how much you will have picked up (honorifics, formal/informal modes, positive or negative stances, and a whole string of common words). It may not be even tourist get-by level, but it's enough to amplify the sub-titles.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:20 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
Barinax wrote:I also forgot to mention, I didn't like Kaworu's voice (Director's Cut version was decent) and a lot of the new voices for the movies.

Welll... he was interesting I guess...

Mr. Tines wrote:
Barinax wrote:things probably make more sense if you understood Japanese.

After a few months of watching subs, and only a very little book reading, you'd be surprised quite how much you will have picked up (honorifics, formal/informal modes, positive or negative stances, and a whole string of common words). It may not be even tourist get-by level, but it's enough to amplify the sub-titles.

Very little book reading? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Barinax wrote:Very little book reading? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
I'm guessing here, probably a Japanese textbook, or maybe manga.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:23 pm

20XD6_Tyrant wrote:The dubs don't change the actuall story; What they do change is the overall tone of some of the characters. Like Shinji, who just comes across as apathetic in the sub; In the Dub, He comes across a whiny prick, so on and so forth.

My thoughts exactly.

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:48 pm

I think both versions have something offer. For me, emotion and inflection are conveyed much more easily in my native tounge. I can't feel the emotion of words from a language I have little to no knowledge of. I can read the words at the bottom of the screen, and I can tell from the infliction of the voice that these words are meant to be angry or sad, but it doesnt have the same impact for me. However, somethings are better in the original format in which it was created because in translation some things will inveitably be changed or altered. Most of the time, these things are nessicarry for the translation to make sense to a completly different culture and laguage. Othertime, it's simply how things were interpreted by the translator himself and my not reflect how that scen would be interpeted by others. I think the Dub is great, and keeps changes to a minimum, but purists will always stick with the sub, which is fine for them. In other words, it's up to each person to decied which is better for them.
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:14 am

CorporalChaos wrote:

When I saw it I was like.. Wow did they really just go and do that?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:22 am

CorporalChaos wrote:
Barinax wrote:Very little book reading? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
I'm guessing here, probably a Japanese textbook, or maybe manga.

For me - under an hour spent flicking through a basic Japanese grammar to get the idea of the main grammatical forms; then the usual bits like the explanations of honorifics in most manga these days. A fanboy Japanese vocabulary then comes from hanging around the fan community.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”