Sub+dub difference?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

King_Panther13
Adam

Sub+dub difference?

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 am

Hello, long time lurker here, and I decided to make an account to ask a question I haven't seen asked before (probably because it's obvious..lol). Forgive me if there's a thread out there, but I did a search and found nothing....

Anyhow...what is the difference in story between the sub and dub version of Eva? I've seen everything in Dub, and I do have to say I really love the voices of Misato, Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Gendo.....I like more than those, but those are the first to come to mind. So are the original voices any better, though I can't understand them? Is there just something better about the overall story when it's told by subs?

I'm really torn right now on if I want to watch all subbed versions right now, or just be happy with the english versions that I have seen. Only thing about the Dub that I don't like is how a lot of times the voices changed around, and a majority of the ones that changed around weren't that great.

Thanks for the help :).

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 am

Want to know the difference? Just watch, you're bound to notice quite a few differences.

As for specific differences, damn, I don't even know where to begin. There's tons.

My personal hot button: http://www.evamonkey.com/gunshot.mov
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:40 am

Purely on a translation point of view, you can tell the difference (liberties taken) between the English audio ans the subtitles. You can turn them both on at the same time.

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Want to know the difference? Just watch, you're bound to notice quite a few differences.

As for specific differences, damn, I don't even know where to begin. There's tons.

My personal hot button: http://www.evamonkey.com/gunshot.mov

Hmm, but that's more of a sound effect difference...I meant like major changes in story...I know some of the added sound effects are really stupid, and I dislike the ones I know of(cartoony noise when Misato blows out a guys brains? Right....)but they really don't change much for me.

But what's with the slapping noise in the original Japanese version of that clip? I mean....I don't blame them for changing that bit to be honest. Or is it trying to suggest Kaji really didn't die or something?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:42 am

King_Panther13 wrote: Hmm, but that's more of a sound effect difference...I meant like major changes in story...

I don't think there are any differences that change the story as a whole.

But what's with the slapping noise in the original Japanese version of that clip? I mean....I don't blame them for changing that bit to be honest. Or is it trying to suggest Kaji really didn't die or something?

It was a segway into the scene where Shinji gets slapped by Asuka when Shinji tells her that Kaji is dead. Death took the scene from 21 and connected it to the scene in 24'.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:54 am

The main reason I prefer the sub has little to do with the translation liberties and audio changes (though those can be annoying), but mostly to due with the fact I just thought the dub cast sucked. If you liked them, then that's fine, but I found them damn near unlistenable at times. The sub cast is really good - one of the best I've ever heard in anime. Hell, even subs can make me flinch sometimes (it's not hard to tell when someone's over-acting or trying to hard to "do a voice"), but NGE never did. I've seen it dubbed and after watching it subbed I just don't find myself caring about the characters nearly as much in the dub.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:24 am

I'd say the best line in the dub was Sue Ulu's (Ritsuko's) "Pathetic" at the end of Episode 9. That about sums it up for the dub! :lol:

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:30 am

Minor errors in translation and some liberties with localization that makes characters differ somewhat but it's the same story.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:36 am

Just saw a bit of EoE and some clips in subs, and I have to say there are some changes that change my opinions to some characters....especially the thing where Misato tries to have sex with Shinji.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:23 am

King_Panther13 wrote:especially the thing where Misato tries to have sex with Shinji.
The Misato/Shinji relationship (sexual wise) isn't ever as clear as you might think. There's a great thread (HERE) that deals with this subject. Good arguments on both sides.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 am

Sucks that got locked due to O-Tness. >_< At least there's good info there.

Anyway, the differences I've noticed (despite watching barely any of the dub if I can help it) is some of the translations that really screw the intent of lines up (Mangle's dealing with Misato's lines about the Angels, Shinji's hospital scene line, Asuka's final scene line) though ADV's Platinum seems to redeem itself also, with the dub, I agree the characters are somewhat off.

Though dub-Shinji imo acts whinier than in the sub and is the reason (I think) why he gets such a bad rap for being a "gay crybaby" or whatever the kids stupidly call him, at the same time I have the feeling Spike was attempting to portray him as Manga-Shinji. :shock: (Actually having an attitude.) I dunno, this just could be 'cause Spike so said himself he wishes Shinji would have "butched up" more. :roll: Apparently Mr. Spencer doesn't get that's the whole POINT of Shinji; he doesn't act like your stereotypical heroes who save the day. He's human like everybody else.

That's enough outta me, sorry if I made this Off-Topic. >_<;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:49 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Apparently Mr. Spencer doesn't get that's the whole POINT of Shinji; he doesn't act like your stereotypical heroes who save the day. He's human like everybody else.

I think Spike Spencer was just frustrated, like so many people, that Shinji doesn't really show much character growth. Keeping in mind that this is a television show, we come to expect certain things like character growth, like a coward acquiring some degree of courage. However, since Eva breaks this convention, we see that Shinji doesn't really change all that much. (Even though he does seem to become more self-confident in the middle, he regresses by the end.) As far as making Eva an unique show, this was a brilliant move on the part of the writers. However, for the viewers, it can be a little frustrating, and most likely the reason why so many people can't stand Shinji.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:53 pm

^What he said!!

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:19 pm

I've watched more than one Anime and more than more dubbed episode. I can tell you really screws up what the characters are trying to say. Somethings just cannot be translated. Subs portrays the meaning as closely as the orginal Seiyuu would have want it.

That, and Spike Spencer hates Shinji.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:17 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Apparently Mr. Spencer doesn't get that's the whole POINT of Shinji; he doesn't act like your stereotypical heroes who save the day. He's human like everybody else.

I think Spike Spencer was just frustrated, like so many people, that Shinji doesn't really show much character growth. Keeping in mind that this is a television show, we come to expect certain things like character growth, like a coward acquiring some degree of courage. However, since Eva breaks this convention, we see that Shinji doesn't really change all that much. (Even though he does seem to become more self-confident in the middle, he regresses by the end.) As far as making Eva an unique show, this was a brilliant move on the part of the writers. However, for the viewers, it can be a little frustrating, and most likely the reason why so many people can't stand Shinji.

Nice post man, love what you've done with it.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:32 am

BrikHaus wrote:However, since Eva breaks this convention, we see that Shinji doesn't really change all that much. (Even though he does seem to become more self-confident in the middle, he regresses by the end.) As far as making Eva an unique show, this was a brilliant move on the part of the writers. However, for the viewers, it can be a little frustrating, and most likely the reason why so many people can't stand Shinji.
I don't necessarily agree with this. It's not so much that Shinji doesn't change - I think he definitely tries to, and he has moments where probably every fiber in his being was telling him to run away. But everytime he tries to rise to the occasion, something terrible happens and he ends up getting put back in his place.

Ep. 18 is a great example where he finally tries to stand up to Gendo, but what happens? "LCL to maximum. We'll choke the bastard out." (or the Gendo equivalent). Despite this, the next episode he comes running back to save Asuka, Rei, and Nerv and what happens? He gets sucked inside the Eva. I mean, if people SERIOUSLY take the time to analyze Shinji's character and all he goes through on the show, I don't know how anyone can say he doesn't change, and certainly that he doesn't try. But by the end he's just been beaten down so much, and having to kill the one person who finally seemed to care about him was his push over the edge.

Spike, like a good deal many people, just didn't get it. Shinji is one of my all time favorite characters simply because of how deep, flawed, and utterly human he is.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:29 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Spike, like a good deal many people, just didn't get it. Shinji is one of my all time favorite characters simply because of how deep, flawed, and utterly human he is.

QFT. ^_^ (note which character is speaking my latest sig)

And on the plus side, Shinji does grow/take SOME good action by not running away and choosing to reject Instrumentality... But what happens after? He goes crazy from prolonged isolation! >_<; (Poor guy; he never gets a break!)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Evangelion is indeed a story of change and reversion for Shinji, and I can't help but think that Anno felt the same way as Shinji when he made Eva. This is one particular reason why I'm interested in seeing what Anno does with Shinji's character now that he's past his depression and married and such.

(Off topic? Meh.)
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 am

I thought the dubs were fine even spike spencer, although his voice can get annoying (and does so not compare to the original sub version) but his voice sounds just like what a whiney little coward would sound like. Girly and crackly like he's going through puberty! :D

Aside from the fact that I think the subs are better because I think it makes certain scenes ambiguios (no speel check and I'm lazy :p) and those scenes, for me anyway, were the scenes that I thought really had very little to do with anything major. An example would be Misato and Shinji and their relationship and does Misato want sex or not and blah blah blah.

The one thing I really hated with the dubs was that Ritsuko was a b*tch! She really wasn't that bad in the sub but the dub had her seem mega evil.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 am

Jamie the Great wrote:The one thing I really hated with the dubs was that Ritsuko was a b*tch! She really wasn't that bad in the sub but the dub had her seem mega evil.
Gendo too. They turned him into a nameless, faceless evil genius type. He's totally NOT that in the sub. He's very cold, yes, but there's a reason for it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”