Is Evangelion your FAVORITE anime?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes, but there are other shows that come a really close second. It's still the first show that pops into my head when I think about anime.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Other than a casual skimming through EOE a while ago and seeing 3.0 when it was brand new, I don't think I've seen Eva since High School. Probably for the best it stays that way.

Probably still in my top 20 somewhere though.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

It's one of my favorite anime series.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Other than a casual skimming through EOE a while ago and seeing 3.0 when it brand new, I don't think I've seen Eva since High School. Probably for the best it stays that way.

Probably still in my top 20 somewhere though.

Rewatch it. You'll probably like it even more now that you're older.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:07 am

No thanks. I'd rather spend that time watching anime I haven't seen and/or do other stuff that interests me. I'd also like to remember Anno as an otaku who got his big break, rather than a depressed otaku who put his soul into a movie and was this close to ending it all.

Maybe in the future when I actually have spare time.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 am

From all the animes I've seen all these years, Evangelion is my most favorite one, especially for being related to many other things that I also like, for being a inspiration and revealing new perspectives, for its reputation and history. My other favorites are Golgo 13, Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue, Higurashi, Speed Grapher, Black Lagoon and The Running Man from the Neo Tokio Anthology.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:39 pm

NGE is without question my favorite anime. It's not only my favorite anime, it's extremely far above any other anime. I've seen other deep anime before (Serial Experiments Lain comes to mind first), but absolutely none that seemed to be as well crafted, lovingly made and thought provoking as NGE. Thinking of other animes that people often list as their favorite (Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist come to mind first), it's a bit hard to think of them as the same thing. It's like comparing Johannes Brahms and Stone Temple Pilots, yeah they're both music but that's it. Don't get me wrong, I did really like Bebop and FMA (though they wouldn't be in my top 5), but my appreciation for NGE is just that much greater. And lets face it, even animes on the level of Bebop and FMA are incredibly rare. For every 1 of those, there's 100 Dragonball Z clones or High School DxD. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking those, they're just not for me. Despite all my praise for NGE, it's not like I consider it a piece of art which is unparalleled. I've seen plenty of movies, read plenty of books and even heard plenty of musical albums which have similarly amazing insights in what it is to be human. Frankly, it's pretty weird that anime only has NGE.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:46 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:How was Bantorra's ending happy? I remember a hell of a lot of death in it. I mean, yes, it was great to see some old faces once again, but even so . . .

Also, I kinda like the fact that the ending is so bizarrely complex that I can't even think of a way to summarize it. People call Eva a mindfuck, but it's got nothing on Bantorra as far as complexity of the plot goes.

Relative to the rest of the series, it was happier than it had any business being. It went in a direction that I felt didn't suit the rest of the show. What I was expecting/hoping for was a tragedy (or at least bittersweet ending) for everyone involved. Not something like Evangelion, but something similar to Volken's death at the hands of Hamyuts. He dies realizing that the very cause he'd been fighting for was a lie. He's given a miserable dog's death despite his main character-y (perhaps altruistic) attitude and actions.

To me, that event solidified Bantorra's world as cynical and cold. Hell, even Noloty meets a cruel fate. Her death isn't even the climax of the arc in which it is featured, but rather a narrative device that motivates Enrique (the name Enlike just doesn't sounds right) and inspire Arlit as her actions and ideals still have effect after her death. Idealistic characters like Volken and Noloty serve second fiddle to the morally gray leads like Hamyuts and Enrique. It's their world, and Volken and Noloty pay the price for thinking otherwise.

That's why I felt that saving the world and having Mirepoc and Mattalast and the rest of humanity continue to live on in peace was kind of, this might sound morbid, disappointing. It just didn't have the same impact as something like the ending of EoE. Bebop and Utena ended perfectly, Bantorra just felt... off. I remember disliking that scene with Mirepoc and Mattalast in her office, some years after the defeat of Nienui.

But I'd like to hear what you have to say about this anime. I might just be looking at this the wrong way and maybe misreading (or just not realizing) some of Bantorra. I've only seen it once and in marathon chunks where I didn't give myself much time to think in-between viewing sessions. Along with Utena, it's something I really need to re-watch. From the lurking that I've done on EGF, it seems that you could probably do a better, more in-depth analysis of it than I could.

e: I thought that in the end Bantorra was just about loving something or maybe even everything. Hamyuts' main trait is self-loathing, her thoughts are void and she wishes for love. She learns to love herself because others love her. Noloty loves the world. Volken loves the armed librarians and what they stand for. Colio Tonies finds love despite his programming and status as a Meat, even dying for it and affirming his agency and the love he felt and shared with someone who died years ago without ever meeting him. It's all really beautiful. And, just to clarify, I don't hate the ending, it just wasn't the ending I wanted.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 am

You can find my review of it here. Happy to talk about it further if you like.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:It's one of my favorite anime series.

Ditto.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Is Evangelion my favourite anime? Yes.

Is it the best anime I've ever seen? No.

It used to be, until I saw this little show called Mushishi.

While it may not be my favourite show (hell, it barely cracks the top 10 on personal favourites), it is overall the best anime I've have seen to date.

Strongly recommended.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Most anime sucks. I've given a lot of "good" shows a try & they've usually all let me down.

SO yes, Neon Genesis Evangelion is my favorite anime.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Fate Zero is my favorite anime series of all time with Eva being a close second.
Eva Rebirth

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 pm

To a massive extent, yes. Not just on an anime level, but even compared to Western entertainment, I rank NGE/EoE as my personal #1. Emphasis on personal. I will not say NGE/EoE should be regarded as the best of the best above all forms of entertainment because obviously different forms of entertainment serve different purposes, and NGE/EoE happens to serve a purpose that caters to me.

To me, it's the most humanistic in its narrative, and I do not think (personally) there is something else out there that supersedes what NGE/EoE brings to the table, visually on-screen.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Meerkat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Meerkat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Nah,
I like both Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Death Note better.
And I also happen to love The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya + Movie like crazy much... (But you know... Not in Public...)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I've heard good things about Haruhi, but haven't gotten around to watching it. Should it take precedence over the other things in my backlog?

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:52 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I've heard good things about Haruhi, but haven't gotten around to watching it. Should it take precedence over the other things in my backlog?

The series can be a drag at times but the movie makes it all worth it.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:00 pm

I'll keep it in mind, then. I've got around 27 shows in backlog, so I'll set it somewhere in the middle.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:00 am

Do you like Hideaki Anno? His early work was a little too 'super robot' for my taste, but when NGE came out in '95, I think he really came into his own - both commercially and artistically. The whole series has a clear, relevant message, and a layer of symbolic depth that really gives the show a big boost. He's been compared to Miyazaki, but I think Anno has a far more modern, deeper storytelling ability. In '97, Anno released this, End of Evangelion, his most accomplished film. I think his undisputed masterpiece is 'One More Final: I need you', a scene so ambiguous most people probably don't know what the fuck they just watched - but they should! Because it's not just about the imagery on the screen, and the Christian symbols, it's also a personal statement about Anno and Otaku culture itself! Congratulations!
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:his undisputed masterpiece is 'One More Final: I need you', a scene so ambiguous

Can this misconception go away? Please?

View Original PostReichu wrote:...the final scene is, AFAIK, nameless. "One More Final: I Need You" is actually the alternative title of "Dai 26 Wa: Magokoro o, kimi ni" [Episode 26': Yours Sincerely]. While placing the title card before the final scene was clearly a deliberate decision (one not made until after the storyboard phase, I should note), this was probably for reasons of thematic resonance. I'm aware the phrase "One More Final" sounds like it implies an epilogue, but it's actually a bit of Engrish referring to the fact that 26' is 'another final [episode]'. (Based on the translation we got, my best guess is that the original form was 今ひとつの最終話.)
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”