Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nice Hat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nice Hat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:They look awesome together.

How? They'd have to look the same (the blue / grey hair ruins it) or they'd have to look somewhat complementing. It's how colour play works.

The hell? No, there are two Seeds. That's why it works thematically -- same mission, same perspective, same goals, same state of existence when all is said and done (and after they've reached an accord on the fate of humanity).

There are seven, not on the same planet though.

It doesn't matter though. Their same mission and goal is conflicting. One would have to give in. Kaworu did, but he can't exist once this happen, so there's no agreement. Neither can grow if neither yelds.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:21 pm

View Original PostNice Hat wrote:How? They'd have to look the same (the blue / grey hair ruins it) or they'd have to look somewhat complementing. It's how colour play works.

. . . and blue and grey are in fact complementary. Also, eyes.

There are seven, not on the same planet though.

Gonna need a source on that, 'cause this is the first I've heard of it.

It doesn't matter though. Their same mission and goal is conflicting. One would have to give in. Kaworu did, but he can't exist once this happen, so there's no agreement. Neither can grow if neither yelds.

:???: Kaworu did yield. They were acting in complete agreement in P3II and 3I proper.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

OmegaEW
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OmegaEW » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm

if kaworu was human in the anime what he isnt so he will try to get Shinji not Rei,and hum,in the anime Shinji will correspond to kaworu but in the manga Shinji dont will correspond
...hum...well....

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm

^Please learn to string together a coherent sentence and get back to us.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:

:???: Kaworu did yield. They were acting in complete agreement in P3II and 3I proper.

Thus, Kaworu learns the most important lesson of all, which is women rule the world.
Rei and kaworu always seemed like stand-in's for yui and gendo at least from Shinji's perspective in EoE, so in that sense they were a good couple.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Gonna need a source on that, 'cause this is the first I've heard of it.

He means this: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8703
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Cosman246
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cosman246 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Actually, I could see Kaji/Ritsuko. Though not anything serious.
#!/bin/sh

I'm sure that the MAGI system is a Beowulf cluster of GNU/Linux boxen. The prototypes probably ran Solaris or AIX.

Why yes, Gendo is my favorite character.

Nice Hat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nice Hat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:. . . and blue and grey are in fact complementary. Also, eyes.

Complementary colours are those that are opposites and using them together is visually pleasing. The complement of blue is orange. It's one of the reasons why Rei and Asuka's attributes are so striking visually. Their hair and eyes are (almost) complementary.

Grey has no complement, as its achromatic. However, red is the "strongest" and "warmest" shade you can have, while in contrast grey is the "dead" and "cold" one. In a way, they are also "complementary". Kaworu's design is yet another way of making it eye catching. He's a spin version of the (now) popular obviously dangerous and overpowered black haired boy with red eyes (any Uchiha from Naruto, Shadow from Sonic, those guys from Tekken whose names escape me now, etc). It is grey because... well Kaworu is much softer and not violent, and since grey is not a natural hair colour, to complement the eyes in the alien look.

Rei and Kaworu have the same eyes, but not the same hair colour. Rei and Kaworu are similar, not complementary, in everything (cold hair colour, red eye colour, pale skin). However, Rei's blue hair and Kaworu's grey hair are not similar either. You put them side by side and doesn't make either any favours. There's no aesthesical pull for Rei and Kaworu. I'm not fanwanking here. This is colour theory and what's behind... mostly everything that art has generated, from logos to paintings to... everything.

TL:DR - Grey and blue are not complementary colours.

I'm not saying they look horrible together. I'm saying they don't look good together. It's not visually pleasing. Shipping them for this, while valid (everything's valid for shipping and everyone has their unique tastes after all) is counter intuitive.

Gonna need a source on that, 'cause this is the first I've heard of it.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/First_Ancestral_Race

Even if you don't believe that's canon, it's strange you've never heard of it.

View Original PostBagheera wrote: :???: Kaworu did yield. They were acting in complete agreement in P3II and 3I proper.

Yes, they yielded and he had to die as a result. They cannot exist together.

Rei was in charge through and through in P3II and 3I, Kaworu was only along for the ride, like the rest of humanity and angels. She let him take over for that single moment to calm Shinji down, that's it. But I do see how Rei being in charge is not easily accepted by some. There's Gendo's tang and Kaworu's Lance being the active party in a Lilith based Instrumentality...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:33 pm

View Original PostNice Hat wrote:TL:DR - Color theory isn't everything and I'm oversimplifying.

Fixed that for you.

Fact is, grey and blue can be complementary in every way that counts (i.e. outside of the strict definitions of color theory) depending on how they're used. Just do a Google image search with "grey" and "blue" as your search terms and you'll find plenty of examples. My favorites are the tanager and the seafan, but YMMV. But more importantly if you apply that logic more broadly you won't wind up pairing anyone with anyone, since hair colors generally aren't all that complementary -- particularly among members of the same ethnic stock. It's a stupid argument.

I'm not saying they look horrible together. I'm saying they don't look good together. It's not visually pleasing. Shipping them for this, while valid (everything's valid for shipping and everyone has their unique tastes after all) is counter intuitive.

And I'm saying that's entirely subjective, and not a matter of fact, and that simply claiming otherwise based on color theory isn't terribly compelling. There's quite a bit of artwork out there that has them paired in ways that are visually pleasing by any reasonable standard. Again, just do a Google image search for some good examples. Art fags may not agree, of course, but they don't get to decide what's visually pleasing and what isn't for the rest of us.

Even if you don't believe that's canon, it's strange you've never heard of it.

Not really. I don't pay much to NGE:2 and that's the only place it's ever come up. If it's not part of the primary narrative I don't have much interest in it.

Yes, they yielded and he had to die as a result. They cannot exist together.

They're both dead. They're both clearly existing together during Instrumentality. There's no reason to think he particularly has to go anywhere (or do much of anything, for that matter) when all is said and done. And both have an attachment to Shinji (and humanity in general), and thus plenty of motivation to stick around and get along.

In short, pairing up for them is less of a stretch than for anyone else shown in the entire franchise (up to and including Toji/Hikari or even the established couples).

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't necessarily ship K/A, but all I can say is that it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing pairing in the entire show :devil:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:I don't necessarily ship K/A, but all I can say is that it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing pairing in the entire show :devil:

But their hair isn't complementary! Oh noes!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:12 am

light grey, being a neutral, goes with just about anything... except other tones that are so close they might as well just fade into a big blah. Like, say, white and light blue.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:15 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:light grey, being a neutral, goes with just about anything... except other tones that are so close they might as well just fade into a big blah. Like, say, white and light blue.

It really depends on the shades involved, but yeah. I was more mocking the notion that colors had to be identical or complementary to look good together than anything else.

But again, see that Google image search I described above. Examples like this and this show that greys and light blues can make for a striking combination. It all depends on the hues involved.

Mind you, it's misleading in this case since blue isn't a natural hair color and thus won't look good in practice with most anything -- the weird factor trumps color theory something fierce unless enough care is taken to somehow make the color look natural. It's not impossible (I've seen it done), but it's very tough. Would that work with Rei? Doubtful, but the red eyes she shares with Kaworu would probably help offset that, connecting them via strangeness.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Examples like this and this show that greys and light blues can make for a striking combination. It all depends on the hues involved.

Fair enough, though in the first case the blue is easy to completely miss and in the second it's only the areas where there is high contrast that the design pays off.

As to Rei's hair being weird, I'd say in a more realistic view its actually white or only faintly blue-grey. It's just being stylized the same way Misato's almost certainly black hair is tinted purple.

Not that any of this really means anything anyway. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:02 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Fair enough, though in the first case the blue is easy to completely miss and in the second it's only the areas where there is high contrast that the design pays off.

In the case of the tanager try this instead. There's a lot more blue in the bird than the first picture suggests.

As to the other: that's exactly the point. The colors involved aren't the only factor one has to consider when it comes to matters of aesthetics. Things like lighting, contrast, shading, and the like also play important roles. This is why fashion sense isn't just about matching up complementary colors -- use of neutrals is also important.

As to Rei's hair being weird, I'd say in a more realistic view its actually white or only faintly blue-grey. It's just being stylized the same way Misato's almost certainly black hair is tinted purple.

In that case she's an even better match for Kaworu color-wise than she is already. ^_^ Though that'd make her a bad match for Asuka. Bummer.

Nice Hat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nice Hat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:05 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Fixed that for you.

You don't even know what complentary colours mean, so your fixing is irrelevant.

Fact is, grey and blue can be complementary in every way that counts (i.e. outside of the strict definitions of color theory) depending on how they're used. Just do a Google image search with "grey" and "blue" as your search terms and you'll find plenty of examples. My favorites are the tanager and the seafan, but YMMV. But more importantly if you apply that logic more broadly you won't wind up pairing anyone with anyone, since hair colors generally aren't all that complementary -- particularly among members of the same ethnic stock. It's a stupid argument.

The Tanager is a completely different shade of blue. It's cobalt blue, a vivid, lustrious colour. Not the pale blue Rei has. It's the same for the seafan, whose grey is more like white and the blue is much stronger, and so there's constrast. You say I'm simplifying things, but in truth, you're the one doing it.

They don't look together visually. I'm not limiting my choices in pairings, I'm just saying they don't look good together and therefore, I'm not going to ship them together for this reason.

And I'm saying that's entirely subjective, and not a matter of fact, and that simply claiming otherwise based on color theory isn't terribly compelling. There's quite a bit of artwork out there that has them paired in ways that are visually pleasing by any reasonable standard. Again, just do a Google image search for some good examples. Art fags may not agree, of course, but they don't get to decide what's visually pleasing and what isn't for the rest of us.

Yes, your personal opinion is much better than a solid philosophy, something that has been proved to be true over and over again in most of our everyday designs.

They're both dead. They're both clearly existing together during Instrumentality. There's no reason to think he particularly has to go anywhere (or do much of anything, for that matter) when all is said and done. And both have an attachment to Shinji (and humanity in general), and thus plenty of motivation to stick around and get along.

There's no reason to think he has to stay either. Furthermore, there is no reason why they'd be interested in each other just because they both like Shinji.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:light grey, being a neutral, goes with just about anything... except other tones that are so close they might as well just fade into a big blah. Like, say, white and light blue.

Exacly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Is this really a debate about how good 2 people are as a couple based on the color of their hair?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Alas.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Well, there's no hair dye in Evaverse after all

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”