Which version of the characters do you prefer?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

LordThaeon
Lilith

Which version of the characters do you prefer?

•      
  •      

Postby LordThaeon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 am

Which depiction of Shinji Ikari is the better character? Anime Shinji? Manga Shinji? Or Rebuild Shinji?

Anime Shinji is labeled as the wimp of anime heroes. A supposed spineless loser who can't seem to nut up and spends most of his time whining. Yet, the anime makes it clear that Shinji has little to no power over his role in Gendo's schemes and does display a lot of courage and strength given the situation.

Manga Shinji starts out more bitter and is more blunt with his emotions. Yet, he's more of a scrapper, more willing to fight to the bitter end rather then quit and give up. He even tries to punch out Gendo after Toji dies and manages to put up a fight against the MP evas.

Rebuild Shinji seems much more proactive and badass, but can be seen as an unintentional shadow clone of his father. He does fight for those that he loves, but he seems to always end up making things worst. Some would argue that it's mostly due to Hideki screwing with him, but the point remains.

Thoughts?
FF Profile

"Please explain that again without insulting my intelligence."

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:08 am

We haven't seen Rebuild Shinji's development finish, but I'm going with Anime Shinji above all others. Those who call him a wimp simply don't understand him.

Manga Shinji is more like Ayato from RahXephon than Shinji and seems to be made of wood, so I don't care about him.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Manga Shinji is more like Ayato from RahXephon
I sort-of see what you mean; but as I like Ayato, that doesn't cause me a problem.

I like manga Shinji, but I'd agree there's less subtlety in his depiction than in anime Shinji's.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:19 am

Yeah, I like Manga Shinji better so far as well. EoTV Shinji is fine in my book as well.

EoE Shinji is a dickhead.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:44 am

Hm.

I like Manga!Shinji somewhat less. While the original would exhibit some passive-agressiveness and frustrating modes at times, I don't think it ever went beyond what can be excused by the extreme situations and puberty - He had a snarky side, but that only manifested when he was comfortable enough, and let's face it, some of the things Asuka and Misato do are snarkworthy indeed.

Manga Shinji was more bratty and generally more of a no-fun-guy (Just see how he rebuffed those random youngers that invited him in that flashback) while the anime one was tendentially more likely to just look rather helpless and resignated in many situations, and feel that changing something about the situation was simply not in his power - You're less likely to believe that from Manga Shinji. That one has teeth. Technically, anime Shinji has them as well, but he's not aware of it, for better or for worse. But the manga one... in the differing scenes, you'd believe that he does know he has them, and uses them. He comes off rather ungrateful at times, and less sympathetic.

What one does have to hand him is that he handled Asuka somewhat, (albeit not phenomenally) by not getting hormonal about her and and daring to tell her to shut it at times (mind you, Anime!Shinji was just trying to be nice; He cares more about that than his manga counterpart, and I like that),
You could never have something like the garden scene between anime!Shinji and "his" Asuka, that was almost a genuine understanding - well, this Asuka... not sure if you could actually call her vaguely less crazy, or if Shinji just wasn't put into the same sort of situations with her, but then again, Manga!Shinji is just generally more Asuka-like than the others (again, not by THAT much), so perhaps its genuinely easier to understand her... a little bit.

Also, his motivations for initiating TI were nobler; He explicitly states that he wants to spare humanity of further pain.
While EoE!Shinji appears surprised that not everyone liked tangification ("Why these complainy voices? Did you rip me off, Rei?" "No, you misunderstood it. You thought everyone thought just like you."), he was, at this point, no longer capable of any consideration beyond "It's hurts, just make it stop, I just don't care about anything in this cruel world anymore."
Which is a fairly usual mindset for someone who lost half his social circle and got alienated from the other half, especially if you consider that this happens the morning after ep 24.
Manga Shinji was still giving a passing thought to the rest of the planet at this point.
Then again, no eviscerated Asuka for him, and he percieved the Kaworu deal a bit differently there was not this huge idea of "This person was much better than me, thus, i'm unworthy of surviving"

As for Rebuild Shinji, I don't see that much of an inherent difference here, it was more that the events grew appart, and with them, the effects and influences they had on each Shinji. The first movie is nigh-identitical to the anime episodes in question. I think the anime one could have had the potential to walk down that same path under the same situations, I don't think the Rebuild one is significantly more "badass" - if anything, Rebuild made me aware of how badass he was even in the original. I liked him before, but that's when I finally got the "phenomenon" appeal/finally made sense of some things I already noticed in the original.
So I don't really see them as distinct enough to pick favorites,

Their actions the sucess thereof, however, does differ and raises a lot of philosophic questions; Here we have anime!Shinji who chose to end it all exactly when SEELE & co wanted him to, and even when he thwarted their plan, this was in accord with Yui's machinations. He never really left this "stream of destiny" (not that a 14 year old could be expected to .- He's just trying to live his life and more concerned with that than with good and evil in the world, even if he would tendentially stop evil that he sees before his eyes and feels is within his reach (and his concept of that "reach" is where a fair lot of the problem lies) In most countries, he wouldn't even be allowed to vote, because this is the usual state for teenagers. Heck, it's not that unusual a stzate for many adults, or even humans in generals I don't wanna do anime Shinji an injustice here, he was mostly well-meaning for most of the episodes, but even nice people have a breaking point, which is squarely hit after Kaworu dies.) - This was Yui's whole idea, "Third Impact is unavoidable, so let's try to guide it onto a direction thst won't make it permanent." Rebuild has this common greek tragedy developement where you try to prevent a dark fate... and get so lost in its tangled strings that you make it happen.
So far, Rebuild!Shinji has never sunken so low that he actually wished the world away; In fact, we have here, for the first time, a more active Shinji, who demands to know what is going on, who sets out to subvert and oppose NERV's sinister games.
He wouldn't have been able to do it (beyond just refusing to participate) without Kaworu as a support, but... that's being human, humans need support, especially under those horrible circumstances.
Many ppl thought that alone would be enough to avent the anime's third impact, but unlike the opposing parties, Shinji has no access to the scrolls... Misato and Kaji, trained adult professionals with actual guns, tried their hand at conspiracy-subverting, and they weren't fast enough.
Still, if you look at the results, EoE leaves us with a world where everyone who wishes to return can do so, and SEELE did not get what they wanted, while Q shows us an empty wasteland with a few bitter, scarred survivors and a nigh-uninhabitable planet.
It's obvious which outcome is worse.
You could say that, from the last third of 2.0 onward, Rebuild!Shinji features more into the role of a "Tragic Hero" than that of a classic "Anti-Hero".

There's also the angle as to how the different outcomes were caused by different in-universe physics - COULD Anime!Shinji even have ordered Yui to move her butt like that? He could haldly get past the Bakelite himself, and, in his defense, looking for Asuka was pretty much his first thougt. Similar things could be said with Rebuild specific outcomes/mechanics like pseudo-evolved mode, or Shinji finding out about Gendo's sinister plans. It's hard to be ostrich-y about these when all of tokyo-3 has turned into red crystals. Given how he gets his ass manipulated even in the current situation, and how his tendency to be afraid of/prefer to be unaware of dark secrets is something he still visibly battles ("Yes, Kaworu, I'm SO SCARED TO FINDF OUT WHAT HAPPENED!"... He asks to be told after the outburst, but it's there), he may not have set out to subvert Gendo if a milder, anime-like developement had taken place.

What is interesting, however, is how the respective versions of Kaworu evolved to be an effective contrast XD
Ogata herself reflects on how the interactions with Rebuild!Kaworu and the way they're more eye to eye (they're both on the ground instead of one of them being on the bed) and actually plotting something together is a reflection of Rebuild Shinji being a bit "stronger" by this point.

If any official or fan source ever were to make some CYOA or visual novel thingy where you can get the events of all continuities (Original, Manga, Rebuild, ANIMA etc.), they should make it so that the version of Kaworu you get depends on how you've played Shinji so far.
Especially, trying to put on murrican manliness should give you manga Kaworu with the armored closet irratation plot, and if you don't show interest in any of the girls by this point, it's draft one Kaworu for you XD

I'd agree there's less subtlety in his depiction than in anime Shinji's.

Me too, but that could be said about almost everyone in the manga, even Rei. It's a basic writing style thing.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:07 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If you don't show interest in any of the girls by this point, it's draft one Kaworu for you XD

That's already in one of the games.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am

[s:gpik2e2t]Aggy is the best Shinji[/s:gpik2e2t] burn in hell.
Manga Shinji is the best. He's so badass unlike in the TV series and Rebuild. Can't believe he was so awesome he saved Asuka and nearly beaten MP Evas... at least he made a big effort... :heart:

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:44 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:Rebuild.

Whaaa----??
I thought that everyone considered Shinji in 2.0 the most badass version of Shinji.

OT: I dunno who's the best, but my least favorite Shinji of them all has to be manga version.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:14 pm

-Attempts to punch Gendo
-Tells Toji to piss off
-Snarks back at Misato and Asuka
-Saves Asuka during the MP incident.
-Tries to beat up Kaworu for talking bad about Rei

Manga Shinji is the more badass Shinji. He doesn't take crap like anime Shinji. Even Asuka is more friendly to him. However, he acts more like a punk, his uncle and aunt even say he rebels. Rebuild Shinji just screws up and kills half the world anytime he dose something.

Better character? I think they both are great in their contexts. The Manga was not ment to be that deep. With the way it gets released, it probably literally can't. However Manga Shinji is likable enough

Rebuild Shinji and EoE Shinji is just insufferable. Mostly due to the ending in EoE where Shinji gets worse and screws up ALL the development. Really, Shinji and Asuka could have been decent together but Shinji just blew it making a completely destructive relationship.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Whaaa----??
I thought that everyone considered Shinji in 2.0 the most badass version of Shinji.

Many people seem generally averse to the idea of anything good happening to Shinji, or the concept that he could do anything right...

Also, cool as it may have looked, as regardless of how much willpower and dedication it must have taken, Q has recently revealed that the whole event was a collosal failure that backfired horrifically, and that he was completely set up by Gendo was already apparent in 2.0 itself, so while I DO consider it a cool feat, I can see why some ppl might not count it on their badass lists.

I would like to once again stress that Shinji has *always* been notably awesomer than he was given credit for.
Holding up Sahaquiel? Lazoring Ramiel? Charging Shamshel? That was all back in the original, as was the first half of the Zeruel battle, even if Rebuild made it all look all flashier and shinier. Heck, original!Shinji, simply by virtue of having more screentime, even got to jump into a volcano and to stop both his pretty co-pilots from plummeting into an abyss in episode 11. It's like no one even remembers anything the poor kid did between episodes 2 and 25'.

Tries to beat up Kaworu for talking bad about Rei

>Which I put it to you may be taken to mean any of the other versions, especially Rebuild!Shinji, wouldn't have done exactly the same thing.

Shinji just blew it making a completely destructive relationship.

Quit the machismo, it's not a man's responsability to fix all of a woman's problems.
Shinji was not exactly super competent in social contexts, but he was very much able to get along with Touji, Kensuk, Reie & co before things got really ugly. His failings are that of an inexperienced teenager who simply doesn't have that sort of maturity; Few ppl live happily ever after with their very first crush, because they're usually not ready for that sort of commitment at that age. At least he tried to be nice. a lot. (and no one who has seen eps 12, or even 22 itself can deny that - Asuka *complains* about it. )- Asuka is already mean by default, before everything went down the drain.

If HIKARI, who had a positive relationship with her, no rivalry in the way, lnot as much personal issues and actual *experience* in caring for people, couldn't do it, it's impossible for Shinji; It would take a professional shrink, or someone of Kaworu's caliber.

Have you seen the alternate live action scene? It goes a great lenght to show that Asuka would be highly disfunctional with just about anyone, and not notably more or less miserable if Shinji didn't exist.

And he's not the one who badmouthed the other when they were missing in action, or callously spoke of them being forced to witness the maiming of their best friend of, "That's it, this will be too much for that idiot to recover from" like it's a good thing.

Of course, she's an immature teenager as well, but putting all the blame solely on Shinji is ludicrous bullshit. It's possible for people to be just plain incompatible without it having to beanyone's fault., especially if the only reason that they have anything do to with each other is that they were locked in a room together in the middle of puberty.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't think Rebuild or Anime Shinji would pull a punch on anyone. Manga Shinji is much more violent. Rebuild Shinji is almost exactly identical to the anime. Different things happen.

To save time, It has nothing to do with "being a man" but it has more with the women having more self-respect. Adult Touji is a much more healthy relationship than going with the Kid Shinji who kills her AFTER the life changing adventure of instrumentality. Maybe Shinji could have gotten a decent relationship in the TV ending but EoE ending is a destructive relationship. Even one of the cut endings have Asuka tell him hes a piece of crap. No matter how much you put it, ShinjiXAsuka is no different from a girl who goes back to her abusive husband. Made worse that they are teens, not adults.

Thats why I said EoE Shinji specifically.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:55 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:Even one of the cut endings have Asuka tell him hes a piece of crap.

You're talking about "Last A", no? I don't find her comment that she would never let someone like him kill her" as feeling more condescending than "Kimochi Warui".
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Like it's been said above, I think it's a little too soon to call on this one, since the last we saw of Rebuild Shinji was the end of Q. I think even those who really dig Shinji(he's my favorite character) still can't help but think he acted like a goof. :shinji_boohoo: To me, it'd be like if the last of NGE Shinji that we see is him looking at Eva-01 in bakelite. But maybe Anno has something up his sleeve and Shinji will do something really rad and totally redeem himself in FINAL. Who knows??

With that being said, I'm going with anime Shinji, since I think he's one of the more realistic male protagonists in fiction, speaks most of my favorite lines of the series, and is a bad ass.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:32 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote: Manga Shinji is much more violent.

That's true (and part of the reason why I find him less appealing), but even the regular one has a tough, ugly little core of anger that reveals itself when provoked enough. It's a question of the difference between what he thinks he is, and what he's actually like.
He did have his post-bardiel outburst, and more than just punched Asuka in the finale...

Keep in mind that Kaworu was not just randomly insulting Rei, but stating that she deserved her death. For being an idiot.
If the Touji deal was sufficient provocation, that is, too.

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:Even one of the cut endings have Asuka tell him hes a piece of crap.

And what Asuka says is always the absolute truth/that she personally has valid reasons to dislike him means it's all his fault?

Most of the people would call their ex-partners or people they've experienced romantic rejection from pieces of crap; It's an inherently biased position.

That's no reason why the fault is entirely on his side.

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:No matter how much you put it, ShinjiXAsuka is no different from a girl who goes back to her abusive husband.

Yeah, if you make Asuka the abusive husband.... *deliberately exagerating*
He did do a few ugly things to her that he definitely shouldn't have done, but that was after months of being mistreated by her and generally
I'm not saying that was he did was deserved or right, but its more a testament to how even nice people have breaking points/ a generally what comes out when you break a human being is not pretty than it is proof of Shinji being inherently a jerk.

Of course the relationship was mutually destructive, don't for a moment think that I ship them, but that alone doesn't make it automatically all Shinji's fault.
It's obviously not like everyone he ever talked to slitted their wrists.
Asuka had a huge part in that, too, being all sort of egoistic and manipulative and condescending all the time, they were both inexperienced and hilariously incompatible, and you can't forget that the whole situation that could have ended in a little harmless teenage heartbreak was exascerbated/escalated by a war/the whole EVA situation and the horrible events both of them were independently forced through.

What did Shinji really do to precipitate Asuka's descent?
He was still trying to be nice to her up to ep 22 (after which she dissapeared from his life, and we see him being concerned about her) and didn't actively do anything to harm or disregard her, even if his attempts to help were clumsy and hampered by his own fear of rehjection, but Asuka was all the way busy signalling a whole mess of signals, among which were clear instances of "Stay away from me."

Sure, she felt rejected by him because he wouldn't give her the strong, definite affirmation she wanted, and yeah, he wasn'tquite comitting, but neither was she, so what right does she have to demand anything from him if she just won't give or concede anything to him, won't "lower herself to his level" by sending a clear signal?
Yes, Asuka is just not capable of that, and it's because of her sucky circumstances, but that doesn't change that Shinji's not a freaking telepath.
She's not entitled to him just because she wants someone and he happens to be nearby.
In short, they're both the types who need strong affirmation/lots of support, but have a hard time openly displaying their feelings.
Worst possible combination.
These two are so incapable of communicating that they had something like a mutual unrequited crush.

But would anything of Asuka's character arc change if Shinji just genuinely hadn't been interested?
And, in that hypothetical scenario, wouldn't it sound incredibly Yandere to blame him on all her problems because "he didn't love her back"?

I don't see anyone clamoring that Asuka should have fixed him - because it's just as absurd to expect her to, but she has breats/ is considered a static target, right?
You're only saying that because he didn't act like your ideal self-insert and do what you would like to do (console poor little Asuka) mainly because, unlike you, he didn't see her inner monologues on a huge screen.

Fundamental truth about Asuka:

View Original PostAlt Scene wrote:"You're cold-hearted, but you get attached pretty easily, don't you? And you're the type that willfully and deliberately causes men to misunderstand. But that's just like keeping a dog."

Even her own VA has stated in some con panels that Asuka doesn't really like him (Believe it or not, despite her unceasing hope for Asuka to get a good ending for once, Miyamura ships K/S), and while Shinji's feelings are far from "True Love", that's because you generally find this very rarely in classrooms.
I've heard of a few people who met their future spouses when they were 16 ish (my own grandmother, for example), but it's a rare thing; Most ppl are just not ready.
Shinji is not amongs the most mature 5% or living in some idyllic midwestern village setting where that is common.

Joy Evangelion wrote:I think he's one of the more realistic male protagonists in fiction, [...] and is a bad ass.

*nod nod*

We need more Shinji appreciation on this world.

We really ARE looking at a sitution like having the ending of 25' without what came next with Q etc.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I don't think Rebuild or Anime Shinji would pull a punch on anyone. Manga Shinji is much more violent. Rebuild Shinji is almost exactly identical to the anime. Different things happen.

Rebuild!Shinji seems to be between the manga and the anime version : for example when he ran away after Shamshel, Shinji had to be dragged back to NERV by the guys of the Second Section after he spent a night with Kensuke, but in Rebuild, after having cooled down he ordered the MIB to take him back to Misato, and he even smirked while doing so, like he was saying to them "Yeah, I know you were following me, and I don't give a shit if you had to look for me for the whole night!", something NGE!Shinji would have never done!

Also compare with his reaction after Bardiel : in the anime Shinji shut himself in the entry plug when his Eva was back in its cage, and repetitively threatened to wreck havoc in the HQ... yet didn't followed it by acts; in the manga he did the same thing, except that he did started to wreck havoc, and in Rebuild he literally assaulted the HQ and was ready to torn open the pyramid and descent though the main shaft all the way down to the Command Center to crush his father!

What it says to me is that manga!Shinji is very cynical and prone to use violence, like a perpetually angry teen, while Rebuild!Shinji has a calmer demeanor, but still has a rage breaking point, and if he get past said point his retaliation is much more violent than the manga version(as Zeruel learned the hard way)
NGE!Shinji is so much shut-in than the other two versions that even if something atrocious happens in front of him he will probably not get into a fit of berserk rage, there must be a lot of horrors stockpiled on him in a short timespan(i.e. the final episodes starting from 21) for him to really break, and when it arrives, well Asuka got her windpipe cushed and everything had gone tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down...

Personally I still prefer the Rebuild version : the manga version looks like a jackass sometimes, and even if I can sympathize with the anime version due to my childhood and teenager experiences, sometimes it still grates on my nerves, probably because I managed to got past that feeling of perpetual lack of self-worth.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:but in Rebuild, after having cooled down he ordered the MIB to take him back to Misato, and he even smirked while doing so, like he was saying to them "Yeah, I know you were following me, and I don't give a shit if you had to look for me for the whole night!",

I've always interpreted this scene and the progression of emotions in it a lot differently.

Something the "roadtrip" was always meant to show (as advertized in the very episode 4 trailer) was Shinji's powerlessness before this huge, opaque organization thing, the ending is one of resignation (Note that Anime!Shinji just pretty much surrenders when she security guards arrive and follows them quietly; They markedly did not have to drag him. )

And I felt Rebuild did that in an even more shattering manner by making the resignation more obvious.

I mean, what makes Shinji stop is when he reaches the end up this huge highway that's under contruction (for extra pathos, because he smashed it himself when he charged Shamshel - he cut off his own way back), he's surrounded by forrest and can't really progress any further, the whole scene has a really desolate mood with the abandoned vehicles and trash in the tunnel etc.

So he stands there and gapes, and what we see immediately next is not a "Fuck you", the expression of emotion that gets underlined, for those who were distracted by Shinji's gorgeous behind, is frustration at his own powerlessness and the absurdity of the setiation, when he starts speaking, it's with resignation: "It's enough. You're going to bring me back anyway, right?"
He knew they were gonna get him. He knew they were just waiting to seize him.
How demotivating is that? He never had a chance, they can totally afford to let him vent to his hearts content, and he knew it. It's total defeat.
We see him for the last montage, trying to get far away from NERV, and then, BAM, he's been aware that he never really escaped them.

This was archieved through pessimismn, not actually being alert enough to notice the security guards - that's what we see when he turns around, the briefest "What, for real? I did it?" perhaps with a dash "So they didn't consider me worth searching for after all. I knew it."
Looks more sardonic than smug/bratty to me, it's notably gone when the lights come back on, which it wouldn't be in a smug reaction that just got confirmation.
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Mmmmh... that's an interesting interpretation(probably more likely to be the intended one) but at least Rebuild!Shinji was a little more active in his admission of defeat : NGE!Shinji would had probably sat down at the end of that road and waited that a Section 2 dude get bored and go to tell him to follow them, while in Rebuild, following your interpretation, he basically said "Alright, I get it, you got me pinned down since the beginning, let's end this manège and go back!suckers."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 pm

The sad thing is that Rebuild!Shinji never stopped being the rubber ball of the huge organizations.

He's been dancing on the palm of their hands from the very beginning; Whether he despairs, has a bit of respite or even falls in love, it's because the higher ups wanted it. Another moment from 1.11 (Along with "If I lose, everyone will hate me", and the visit to lillith's chamber) that has become so much more painful in hindsight.

This is also why Mari's character, as a contrast figure, makes so much sense.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Actually, I think that the visit in Lilith's chamber in 1.11 was the only moment where an higher-up(Misato) has been completely honest with him and told him all the information she had.

Remember the context : after being nearly roasted alive by Ramiel, Shinji apparently reached his breaking point and don't want to pilot again, especially since no one bothered to tell him exactly why they need him to pilot and protect the city, he knows that the Angels want to trigger 3I and kill everyone, but not the specifics, such as why it had anything to do with him piloting the Eva.
Then Misato brought him to Lilith, one of the most well guarded secret of NERV. Even if she's the chief of Operations, she probably took a risk by letting a "simple" pilot go down there.
And once there she explained to Shinji that this big thing nailed at the cross is exactly what the Angels are after and what will let them trigger 3I, and that NERV is configured to self-destruct if an Angel manages to reach the place, and that all the people in NERV who works directly in the operations against the Angels knows the risks and accepted them.

And that now that Shinji knows exactly why he's needed here to pilot, he can make his decision with all the necessary informations to take one that he'll not regret, and that Misato won't judge him whatever he chose.
And you know what? Shinji chose to stay and fight, Misato even thanks him form the bottom of her heart for that, and shows it by going against Gendo and defending his case when it looked like he gave up after Ramiel's Death Star beam!

In that moment in Lilith's Chamber she trusted him with all the information and treated him as a partner from NERV and not a pawn to use. And I think that she kept that trend even 14 years later, she's honest with her troops and tell them in what kind of shit they're gonna to get into if they join WILLE, and always told them of the risks and consequences of their operations, and that's probably why all the crew is so much loyal to her, and even worship her as an hero.

That's also why I think that in FINAL she will manage to get past her emotion and judge Shinji's acts and situation with fairness and try to make the best decision for both his and mankind's interests.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm less optimistic for the future, but that was a great post, ElMariachi.

Other instances of "honesty and respect as a partner" could be when she spills her motivations/intentions before he leaves after Bardiel, Kaji's lampshade of her trust in Shinji, and that she actually esteemed him as adult enough to choose what to put his life in danger for, and thus cheered him on.

Since Misato is always torn between being a parent, a superior and a friend to Shinji, she doesn't always quite say what she thinks; She must keep this layer, like a parent who's beind "diplomatic" and tells each of two fighting siblings that she sympathizes with their side to convince them to leave each other alone;
And sometimes, a parent needs to deliberately risk the child being upset or pissed at them to set them straight, so they will be able to handle the world.
It gets more complicated because of the EVA business; Both saving the world and getting her revenge require Shinji in the EVA, so she can't really show the doubts she has about making him the pilot; It's also a question of being strong for him.
So, in situations like the post-Shamshel or Post-"Roadtrip" conversations, she sometimes forces herself to be hard even if she has huge doubts herself -
But there are moments where we spare us of all these lies we tell ourselves and are able to meet without masks, which is what happens at the end of episode 4 ("Welcome home"), or during the trip to Lillith's chamber.

That makes it all the sadder that at least between Misato and Shinji, this is all gone.
Instead of explaining anything, all she does is passive-agressive venting.

What's bad is how this must look to Shinji: "She cares about her agenda. When I was useful to it, she was nice to me; When I stop being useful, she deserts me, just like my father, just like my mom, just like everyone else always leaves me..."
So to him, the question of wether she's "a parent" or wether he's just "part of the job." is finally answered.
I mean, it actually is, but it was just the opposite: even with their relationship hopelessly torn, Q does, perhaps to make it extra tragic, in a way provide a deep proof of the strenght and truth of their bond.
Shinji thinks he only escaped because of ReiQ's wondrous Jetpack, but in fact, she couldn't kill him, like a real mother would still love her son if he were a murderer or something; She'd be dissapointed and apalled, of course, but a bond between family members is something that just doesn't go away.
Misato, perhaps ironically, given her experiences with her own parents, underestimated that.
But there's also a bit of that on Shinji's side - Sure, when he first escapes the Wunder, he's pissed and denouncing her of bullshitting him, but she was kinda treating him horribly and not explaining anything.
But he's not a self-righteous person, one of the first things he does is ask Rei why she thinks Misato could be doing that. (Misato herself just wasn't receptive to getting information out of her) and after he does find out... even whith all she did to him and all that implies, he wants to show her that he's not a bad person more than anything.
That just shows how important that particular bond was to him, and how much of a support she has been; Even if she could never quite mitigate it all, without her, it probably would all have been much worse.

But what it certain (as opposed to theories like "She has to act like she hates Shinji so they won't rebell" or alternatively, "They're secretly fed up with her bullshit.") is that most of WILLE worships the ground Misato walks on (Sakura's VA was told to be more worshipping when speaking to her a few times) and if you watch the nemesis series fight, you see why. Notice how openly younger Members Kitakami and Hideki speak to her. "I don't wanna die yet!" "This won't work!" etc.

Especially opposed to the cold, lifeless NERV HQ, the wunder crew is so lively and collorful, under other circumstances, Shinji could have been an aspiring young resistance fighter, and even have been friends with Midori. She shows a lot of hate for him, but she's a misplaced clueless teenager in a war who would rather go shopping, but still thrived enough to become bridge personel.
Under other circumstances, these would have been instant friends.

If only he had been born ten years later, he'd be such an awesome WILLE member. He was willing to fight for them, too.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”