[Fic] Break all the way down

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

shelter
Embryo

[Fic] Break all the way down

•      
  •      

Postby shelter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I'd like to see an Omake with Shinji and Sakura just talking to each other. (maybe taking place between 3.0 and Final) Sakura coming to terms with the person who apparently killed her brother with N3I, albeit unintentionally. I'd really like to see someone build upon her character. Is her smile fake for the sake of professionalism, or does she genuinely feel sorry for him?

I wrote this fic in response to this comment above, which was posted in Story Ideas thread.

So here it is. With additional setting and context thrown in. Posting it here because I'm experimenting with 2nd Person and that POV is banned on FF.net.

Comments and feedback definitely welcome. Thanks :)

Break all the way down  SPOILER: Show

Break all the way down

From above, the earth below looks a deeper shade of red, like a busted lip. From the window of the VTOL, you see the scattered crescents of ruins, the dried-out tongue of what was once a river. Then, the pilot points it out, the proof of life: a thin scarf of smoke curling up from under the shadow of the river’s bluffs.

You tell the pilot to make another circuit and then land nearby. In the time taken to secure a site, a team’s been assembled. As the din from the engines die away, you tell them what Captain Katsuragi told you. Bring all three pilots back, preferably alive. But you omit a final clause: by all means necessary.

It takes half-an-hour to reach the site you saw from above. On the ground, you trek past the waterless irrigation ditches, and up a shattered road, its fragments dissolving into the red earth. The bluffs flank the road, which squirms its way through the hills beyond. Bleached white trees litter the landscape, looking like the leftover bones of monsters.

At the nearest turn of the road lies a huddled crowd of buildings, the remains of a farming town.

The first sign of something wrong is that no one has come out to greet your team. The plume of smoke has faded away. The buildings look deserted.

“Shall we proceed, Second Lieutenant?”

No. Instead, you retreat back down the road, to the windbreak of dead bent trees, just out of view of the houses. You station your second-in-command, Sergeant Yuko, further afield, with a burnt-out shell of a car for cover.

“What readings do we have?” you ask.

“There are three heat signatures,” the team reports. “All seem to be alive.”

“That’s good.”

“Could they have missed our VTOL?”

“Impossible. We circled back.”

“Suzuhara,” Sergeant Yuko calls. “You might want to see this.”

You move out to the car. There, you follow the line of Sergeant Yuko’s finger to a moving speck flushed into view by the gunmetal grey of the buildings.

“What’s that?”

You peer through Sergeant Yuko’s binoculars, and you see him. There’s Shinji Ikari standing in the doorway of one of the houses.
Magnified a hundred times to clarity, the words he mouths are obvious: I want to see Sakura Suzuhara alone.

#

So you comply. It takes a quick word with your team before everything’s settled: a glance back to indicate that first contact is not threatening, and a raised arm to ask for assistance. Before you go forth, you leave your sidearm with Sergeant Yuko, and wind a white piece of fabric around your arm, a tourniquet of peace.

You count the steps as you walk. In the exposed zone of possibility between Sergeant Yuko’s position and the crumbling houses, the wind hits you like a punch to the chest. It threatens to wring your hair loose.

When you reach one hundred and fifteen steps, Shinji starts to advance, hands in his pockets. He meets you three-quarters of the way, conveniently at a bench calcified by LCL into a hard stump of shiny wood.

“Hello Shinji,” you say.

He sits. You decide to stand. His eyes are rimmed with exhaustion. He reeks of that sweet, overripe-fruity odour of LCL. Some of it has crusted along the edges of his chin. His hands show through a tear in his plugsuit, pink from cold or bruising.

“Hello –” a stammer. “Suzuhara.”

You turn back, give a visible nod. To proceed, you decide to go easy.

“How are you?”

“I’m ok.”

“How are the others?”

“They’re ok.”

“Pilot Shikinami? And the other pilot?” You dig the name from the Captain’s notes. “Ayanami?”

“I said they’re ok.”

“That’s good. So why don’t you ask them to come out? We’ll take you all back to the Wunder.”

His next statement hits you like a missile: “We’re not going.”

You sit, turning your body towards him. You know what needs to be done, but his resolute refusal seems worth playing along to – for now.

“Why not?”

“We’re not following you back,” he repeats.

“You’ve got friends there who want to see you safe.”

Shinji lets out a sarcastic bark, so unnaturally loud that it echoes in the quiet landscape.

“Friends.”

“Yes. Captain Katsuragi and –”

“No friend would put a detonator around my throat.”

He turns, giving you the sheer cliffs of his shoulders. But he doesn’t get up and walk away. You try a different approach:

“Can I speak to Pilot Shikinami?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Ayanami’s taking care of her.”

He slouches, places his hands on his knees. That line of conversation is over. You’re not sure what to make of this latest statement, but you try to read his body language. In the interval of silence, you look ahead at the black mound of the car, and the screen of dead trees behind. You imagine how you must look to the others: like a young girl and a young man, side-by-side, on the same bench, the apocalypse all around.

You decide it’s time to be direct. So you inch closer and lay your hand over his. He startles. You hold steady, his hand providing a splinter of warmth.

“Shinji, listen.” You tap lightly on his palm. “There’s nothing here. If you stay, you’ll die of starvation, thirst or exposure. Come back with us. Please.”

He meets your eyes for the first time. They’re shiny with water, but when he opens his mouth, he makes a strangled plea.
“No more, please.”

“Shinji?”

“No more. I don’t want to hurt anymore. I don’t want to pilot anymore.”

“It’s ok.”

“It’s not ok!” In a second, he’s on his feet, facing you, his eyes intense and his breathing so fast he’s hyperventilating. “It’s not ok!”
You’re about to raise your arm when he says it.

“How can it be ok when I keep screwing up?” He swings around, hands on his head. “How can it be ok when I keep hurting all my friends? Kaworu! Your brother Toji!”

It takes several seconds for you to understand. In those moments, you connect Shinji’s claims with your brother. You’re not sure why he’s bringing this up now. After all these years –

“It doesn’t matter, Shinji.”

And immediately you regret that half-hearted reply when it comes out of your mouth.

“What? How?” he says. “How can you say that when I’m the cause of everything?”

When he looks at you again, you’re staring into the reflected pools of his eyes.

Against your will, you remember your brother’s eyes the last time you saw him: frightened, uncertain, lost. You remember his twitchy silhouette against the crimson background of the near-Third Impact. Most of all, though, you recall his face: a boyish bloom of red, and eyes the colour of stirred silt.

This was before he left and said he would find out what the hell was going on and never came back. Why he had to go, you never know.

But these things belong to you and you alone. So you stare back at Shinji, and you want to ask: why bring them up now?

“I can’t go back when all I do is screw up and hurt everyone.”

You wait. You’re not sure if he’s really in so much in pain or just trying to justify himself.

“Why Toji?” you ask.

He shutters his eyes. He grips the bench. He looks away.

“They gave me his shirt.”

“What?”

“They – my father – gave me his shirt. It had his name on it.”

You feel your hands collapsing into fists, nails biting skin, knuckles clenching. Reflexively, you begin to think of your brother again – but no – you have a job to do.

“It – it doesn’t matter, Shinji. Let’s just go.”

Shinji looks like you’ve slapped him. “How can you say that after all I’ve done to you?”

You have a deep urge to do something with your fists. To use your hands to damage when all you’ve done has been to help, comfort and mend. You’re close enough. In front of you, the person who has suddenly and casually brought up every tragedy in your life has begun to break down and cry. As he slices his arm across his eyes, his tears land across your arms.

You wipe them off.

You’re not going to think of your brother. Or your parents. Or the near-end of the world that caused all this madness. And no, you’re not going to think of your brother. Or his pseudo-macho courage that made him walk out that door, out of your life. Because you are a second-lieutenant of WILLE, and you have a mission to save the world.

“I’m so sorry,” Shinji says.

It’s your turn to close your eyes. His sniffing fills the dark void. And you’re not going to think of your brother and the wall of his triceps wrapped like a defensive cocoon around your head when the near-Third Impact began -

“I’m sorry, Sakura.”

You take a deep breath and open your eyes. You’re not going to think of Toji. Because you have a mission to fulfil - a mission that involves getting the confused young man before you into the VTOL and back to the Wunder.

“I’m sorry for all I’ve done,” Shinji says. “All I do is hurt people.”

“The world doesn’t revolve around you,” you say.

Standing, you move in front of Shinji and face him.

“I don’t care what you did and why you did it. All I know is that the Captain is waiting. Will you come with me or not?”

The mere allusion to Captain Katsuragi seems alter his mood. Still, he shakes, as if more tears are coming. Then, he stands.
“I’m sorry.”

He walks back to the house. You watch as he moves away, and then you decide to return too. There’s nothing more for you to do – now.

Walking back to the rest of the team, you see Sergeant Yuko gesture to something behind you. Instinctively, you turn, and you see someone watching you from one of the windows. It’s the first time you’re seeing her, but you know the person in the window is Rei Ayanami.

You pause in your tracks and stare at her. She stares back, her face framed by the wings of her dirty blue hair. After all that’s happened with Shinji, you finally understand in that short moment that the two of you are, in some ways, alike. You feel an odd affinity with her: the girl who, like you, was also the object of a young man’s protective fantasy.

#

You make the decision to storm the building as the burnt orange of the sun begins to dip below the hills. Despite Shinji’s resistance and Pilot Shikinami’s curious absence, the mission needs to go on. You have an order to follow, and you follow protocol not to break radio silence to inform the Wunder of any of these new developments, lest NERV get wind of your presence here.

The team assembles all non-lethal weaponry: batons, Tasers, stun grenades, flares, restraining devices. Everyone in the team leaves their guns behind. Only Sergeant Yuko has a loaded firearm. When your team requests you carry one too, you decline: you don’t need to be protected.

You instruct the pilot to prepare the VTOL. There are ten of your team to three malnourished, tired pilots. Barring any mishaps, this will all be over in fifteen minutes.

The sunset has separated into a stratum of wounded purple over a sinking red when you move out. Sergeant Yuko’s team waits by the car, while you lead another in the shadows towards the house where you last saw Ayanami.

In the poor light, the house glows. Dried-up vines swarm its walls like veined claws. At your signal Sergeant Yuko moves to the bench. At your signal, your men chuck a stun grenade through the open mouth of the doorway.

In the aftermath of the entry, your team spreads out to all available buildings. You move through the alley that separates the homes to head off any escape from behind. The chime of broken glass, a volley of shouts, another stun grenade erupting.

“We have Pilot Shikinami!” one of your men yells.

One down, two to go. You hurtle through a doorway, up a flight of stairs to the shouts. In a room with smashed-in window, Pilot Shikinami’s propped up on the wall, eyes closed. You shove away your men to get to her.

There’s a pulse. It’s faint. You notice a rash of red around her neck.

Then, gunfire. Stripes of tracers light up the night.

Without waiting, you sprint out back, run free from the cover of the houses.

Sergeant Yuko lets loose another round. The tracers fly in the direction of the bluffs. You follow.

Past the bony fingers of dead trees, the gradient rises steeply. Ahead someone struggles to manage the climb. Armed with a light, you lower your head and charge up the slope.

The dark whip of the river channel comes into view. Above it the moon hangs like smashed white skull. A smack of wind on your cheek tells you the slope has been cleared. As your torch cuts a swath through the dark, a retreating figure speeds away.

“Stop running away!”

In just three strides you reach the figure, grab it by the shoulder to spin it around. You catch a glimpse of Ayanami’s face before she swings an arm at you. But there’s no strength in it - so you seize it in midair and within moments, you have the arm in a lock. When she struggles, you apply pressure. Her knees buckle. Your previous empathy is gone. You make sure her face is on the ground before she can say anything.

Sergeant Yuko and your men reach the summit, and you leave her with them to continue your pursuit of Shinji.

Two down, one left. You traverse the bluffs, dislodging loose rock. You follow the difficult passage across the narrow ridge of the summit. Abruptly the land begins to rise again, and your breaths start to come in short bursts, warm air tusking from your mouth. The only consolation to all this is Shinji must be tired out already.

Your team launches a flare that ruptures into a flower of light. It illuminates Shinji for a second, coughing and clutching his chest, nestled just a stone’s throw from you. As she starts to move, his long shadow distorts and sweeps the ground you’re on.

“Shinji!” you call. “We’ve got the others! There’s no point in running!”

He stumbles. His dog-like yelp of pain makes you hurry, and when you see how badly bent his leg is, it’s clear he’s twisted an ankle. In final steps to him are tricky: your feet disturb unstable sheets of rock that clatter down both sides of the shrinking ridge.

“Give me your hand!”

His clammy palm connects with yours. Braced with an arm across your shoulder he’s on his feet, trying to find a less painful way to stand. Sweat slides off his face and plugsuit in waves, as he takes in deep, grating gasps of air.

Then he says, “I’m sorry, Sakura.”

And: “I’m not going back.”

His arms drape themselves over your head like curtains, and his feet shuffle, trying to escape. You lose your footing and fall to your knees. They scrape on the rocks, pain lighting up your senses.

Your head swims, Shinji’s arms cutting off your senses. You remember this sensation – being in your brother’s grip – But no, you’re not going to think of that now. No more letting any of these guys dictate your life.

Kneeling, with Shinji’s weight straining your back, you push his grip off your head. When his heavy body comes off he makes one wrong step and the ridge crumbles. Shinji screams.

The ground drops from beneath your feet. You throw out your hand. You're not sure now, in this moment when you lose your balance, who's saving whom now.

Shinji seizes your hand. You pull him to your arms.

And the two of you fall together.

End

[/spoiler]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:55 pm

^
So following your interpretation,
SPOILER: Show
Sakura's smile was fake, well bummer. Also did she and Shinji just die at the end or what?

That sentence from Sakura was kinda ironic :
“The world doesn’t revolve around you,” you say.

Yet a disturbing amount of very important people want him under their control because he can change or even end the world!

Also FF.NET forbid 2nd Person POV fics now? :ehh:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:41 pm

First and foremost, thank you! I never expected anyone to do anything with one of my Ideas. Thank you!

I see you gave us another shout out to EOE with Shinji taking down Asuka. A bit OOC? Maybe, but he's been pushed so far anything could happen at this point. But him not wanting to go back to Misato is extremely understandable. In a real life scenario it'd probably be at least a few years before they'd even speak to each other again.

I'm not a big fan of this POV when writing but it actually works here! Hope you do more in the future!

@Mariachi

Nobody died, hes leaving it ambiguous since we don't know if Final would make this interquel fic non-Canon.

I think she's smiling and acting nice because her brother defended him even to the point of his death. She's doing it because its what her brother would have wanted.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:43 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I think she's smiling and acting nice because her brother defended him even to the point of his death. She's doing it because its what her brother would have wanted.

Oh that's what I think too, and also that if her brother came to be friend and even admire him, then Shinji must deserves it at least a little.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

shelter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shelter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks Mariachi and Ray for your comments!

@Mariachi

I thought Genuine/ fake is a bit too extreme. Since there are a precious few Sakura fics out there, I wanted Sakura to be tougher. She's a 2nd Lieutenant in an organisation that's fighting NERV, and while in canon she's got some kind of a medical background, she's good enough to make decisions that can have huge consequences - like taking down Rei/ Shinji. I had Misato in mind when doing Sakura's character here: she's got a mission to do and her desire to get things done clashes with Shinji's desire not to get involved.

Also, character-wise, I can' think of anyone in the 3.0 canon with more of a reason to dislike Shinji. After nearly getting killed in various encounters when Shinji's in an Eva, she also loses her brother. So yes, it's implied she's putting up a professional front. But I think as with most characters, they just want to move on.

“The world doesn’t revolve around you" - Just like the final scene at the cliff, it can be read both ways. He is the key to the fate of the world, but in 3.0 Shinji exaggerates his own effect on people.

@Ray

In 3.0, I can't see any of the three pilots being civil with each other for long. I think taking down Asuka's a bit extreme, but I can't think of any other way to present in 2nd POV that Shinji's unstable. It's implied that he's also abandoned Rei.

As for being kind to Shinji, I would love for someone to write a fic comparing how Sakura treats Shinji on one hand, and how Shinji's piloting colleagues (Rei, Asuka, Mari to a lesser extent) treat him on the other. The vibes I get are that the non-pilots have more basic humanity.

Oh and 2nd POV fics have been banned from FF.net for a long time. It's even in the rules and is stated as grounds for your account to be deleted because they associate 2nd POV with the 'choose your adventure' genre.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 am

View Original Postshelter wrote:Thanks Mariachi and Ray for your comments!

@Mariachi

I thought Genuine/ fake is a bit too extreme. Since there are a precious few Sakura fics out there, I wanted Sakura to be tougher. She's a 2nd Lieutenant in an organisation that's fighting NERV, and while in canon she's got some kind of a medical background, she's good enough to make decisions that can have huge consequences - like taking down Rei/ Shinji. I had Misato in mind when doing Sakura's character here: she's got a mission to do and her desire to get things done clashes with Shinji's desire not to get involved.

Also, character-wise, I can' think of anyone in the 3.0 canon with more of a reason to dislike Shinji. After nearly getting killed in various encounters when Shinji's in an Eva, she also loses her brother. So yes, it's implied she's putting up a professional front. But I think as with most characters, they just want to move on.

“The world doesn’t revolve around you" - Just like the final scene at the cliff, it can be read both ways. He is the key to the fate of the world, but in 3.0 Shinji exaggerates his own effect on people.

That's an interesting interpretation of Sakura, usually she's portrayed as very kind and empathic, a sort of beacon of niceness and "innocence" in this harsh and insane new world to show people that there are still some human warmth left.

I admit that I follow this interpretation too, since even with its more militaristic outlook, WILLE is still a para-military organization made up of a ragtag mix of civilians and military of various levels of training and experience, and that Sakura was never seriously trained as a combatant, even if she holds the rank of Second Lieutenant : the NERV Bridge Bunnies were 1st Lieutenants yet never had more than basic firearm training nor a squad to command, so seeing Sakura as squad leader knowing CQC techniques seems a little surreal to me.
Shinji was never deemed a direct threat to the Wunder, except if he gets in an Eva (which they didn't believe would happen since they didn't know that neo-NERV was after him), or if it's revealed that Shinji isn't Shinji but some sort of angelic creature spawned by EVA-01 (in which case no one would had been able to stop him except by sending an Eva at his face, like with Kaworu in NGE, I'm sure that's the true main reason why a DSS Choker was put on him), so I don't think that having Sakura as his assigned medical officer meant that she's a combat medic. She probably got basic firearm training, but not much more.
I think that Misato assigned Sakura to Shinji because she was sympathetic and not threatening looking, since she was probably bound to be the one with whom Shinji would had interacted the more during the custody had Mark.09 never attacked. Or it's also possible that Sakura volunteered to take care of him because she wanted to know that famous pilot his brother talked so much about and held in so high regards.

Also, I don't think that Sakura is the one who has the more reasons to hate Shinji : everyone in Tokyo-3 was at risk when an Angel attacked, and everyone in the world lost someone to Third Impact (following the theory that Shinji's N3I is indeed what directly destroyed the world like Kaworu said), so absolutely everyone has as much reasons to hate Shinji as Sakura. Personally, if there's one person who should have more reasons to hate Shinji than others, it's Asuka : on top of N3I, she also had the fiasco of the Bardiel fight which left her with an angel-infected eye and an eyepatch as a constant reminder for the past 14 years.

As for Shinji exaggerating his own effect on people, well the fact is that his actions did changed everyone's life for the worst (again, if he's the one who destroyed the world), and nearly did it a second time in 3.0.
Unless you intended to imply in your story that Shinji isn't considered as the sole responsible for Third Impact, and that people (or at least Sakura) aren't blinded by hate enough to not recognize that the main culprits of this madness are Gendo and SEELE.
Although some of her reactions were weird : Shinji told her that Gendo had gone the extra assholish mile to make him wear Toji's shirt, and Sakura wants... to punch Shinji. What.

Knocking down Asuka was a smart move, realistically having her out of commission that was the only way to have the conversation between Shinji and Sakura, as Asuka would had just pushed Shinji and Rei to advance toward the VTOL and embark ASAP to go back on the Wunder. Shinji probably took her down while she was distracted by sending the smoke signal.

Well look at that, it looks like a merciless critic while I genuinely enjoyed your story! -o-;

shelter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shelter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote: Well look at that, it looks like a merciless critic while I genuinely enjoyed your story! -o-;

If more people were merciless critics, I think it would help improve the quality of Eva fanfiction as whole. Then there won't be so many things to say in the 'Worst Eva fanfic you've ever read' thread. Also, I take heart that you take issue with my subjective interpretation of the character and events in 3.0 only (at least that's what you've said so far).

Actually I think all your points on Sakura's character are very valid. They're much closer to canon than my creative view of her in this fic. But it would be such a waste if every fanfic writer just saw Sakura's character as merely "sympathetic and not threatening looking", and just a mere postscript in 3.0. Ray's original idea was to invent a scenario where it's already suggested that Sakura is beyond just a pretty face and in awe of Shinji. The mere fact that she harbours more complex emotions that being a medical officer in the opening scenes of 3.0 makes good human drama.

At least that what I think a good fic should have: good human drama.

And good writing too (of course).

Just one thing:

Sakura's intent in the story is to get the pilots on the VTOL. Anything else is a distraction. So bringing up Toji is a distraction. That's my explanation for Sakura's mood shift: confusion at why Shinji's bringing this up now when they have to get moving and frustration that it still matters to Shinji when it has long ceased to matter to her.

Thanks again for your critical eye!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:05 pm

I think I chose the wrong words, instead of "not threatening looking" I should had say "not too harsh/stern looking".
I agree that having conflicting emotions and in 3.0 makes her more human and thus interesting, a saint who doesn't harbor the least grudge to Shinji would be completely unrealistic, besides there's already Kaworu for that.

In fact, these conflicting emotions make her even more sympathetic, because while she does harbor some rancor, her behavior shows that her niceness isn't just a facade : someone just being professional would had just kept a false smile and politeness while keeping all interactions professionally cold, but when Sakura formally introduced herself and thanked him for being friend with Toji (when she scratched her nose and smile), she seemed genuinely happy. If it's revealed that it was a polite facade then that means that she's a fucking psycho, because I just can't see anyone showing such emotions of sympathy without thinking them not being a sociopath or an highly trained spy.

So in the end, it looks like she's at least giving Shinji the benefit of the doubt and really want to ease him into this new and strange world and give him the chance to prove that he's the brave guy who risked his life for mankind that Toji told him about, but then Mark.09 arrived... I really want to see how she'll react to Shinji's return after he ignored her pleas to not pilot an Eva and even started another Impact (even though we know that it was more complicated than that). I think that it'll be there where we'll see what kind of character Sakura really is : will she reveal to be as sympathetic and understanding as what was implied in 3.0 and understand why Shinji acted the way he did (once he gets out of his funk and tells her of course) or will she jump to conclusion and join the Shinji hate-wagon?

View Original Postshelter wrote:Just one thing:

Sakura's intent in the story is to get the pilots on the VTOL. Anything else is a distraction. So bringing up Toji is a distraction. That's my explanation for Sakura's mood shift: confusion at why Shinji's bringing this up now when they have to get moving and frustration that it still matters to Shinji when it has long ceased to matter to her.

That's Shinji's big tragedy : for the Sakura (and everyone else) they had 14 years to mourn the loss of what was dear to them, such as Toji's death, but for Shinji, barely a week ago he was still hanging around with Toji and Kensuke eating ice cream, it's impossible for him to let that go yet, especially with his father doing the dickish move to send Toji's shirt and Kaworu's death just being added on the list of things to mourn.
Hell, even Shinji himself was in the list of thing of the past that had to cease to matter so the people who cared about him could move on.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Anyway. . . will you do anymore? Will you build upon this and add to it? Or is it a one and done thing?

I was expecting something like this line to show up in the fic. . .

Shinji:

STOP SMILING! I know you really hate me deep down for what I did to Touji, what I did to you! So just stop it! Stop smiling and hate me like everyone else! I'd rather be hated than be lied to again!

@Mariachi

She probably will join the hate train, for a little bit, but I think that by the end of 4.0 she will at least come around enough to let go of her bitterness. At least he did abort Fourth Impact before it could kill the planet like N3I did.
--

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

I don't think Sakura personally is the type that would hold on to hate, even in regards to Shinji, cause honestly, what does hate accomplish aside from making you bitter and easy to anger?

Hopefully Sakura as well as Wille will realize that this kind of behavior is what drove Shinji away in the first place, and probably will prevent him from coming back anyway, as put in this fic.

I understand that he needs to be under check and in control, but if they keep treating like this without giving him an opportunity to help or at least make something of himself, he'll eventually come to the conclusion that they all can rot and die for all he cares, along with himself. Military protocols be damned.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

As a side note, I hope we get to see more of her in Final.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm

I hope Anno gives enough running time for everyone to get at least some development.

@dataprime

What did you think of the OP?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:37 pm

I hope Anno gives us something that doesn't make me crawl into my closet and weep for three weeks.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

shelter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shelter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:44 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Anyway. . . will you do anymore? Will you build upon this and add to it? Or is it a one and done thing?

Yep. This is one-shot, and I'm not continuing it any further since the ending is ambiguous enough for closure on these two characters brief relationship.

After all the discussion in this thread, it'll be a waste not to include Sakura in one of my ongoing fics (shameless plug there). I'd planned to include her already. But the focus is more on Asuka in that fic. And I'm interested in exploring the dynamic between Asuka and Sakura, or even Misato and Sakura, even though it's not canon and technically between the 2.0 and 3.0.

As for that line you mentioned, it would probably fit better in a fic where the story was told from Shinji's POV. This one was solely to look at Sakura, her internal monologue and how she sees Shinji. Hope that wasn't too disappointing a reply.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

oh. . . well thanks for going somewhere with one of my ideas. Hope you do more in the future.

Return to “Fanfiction”