Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not sure about that. Return of the Jedi did pretty well in this regard, and that fighter battle at the end was anything but slow.

Fighter battles don't have to consider shifting weight distribution and fleshy mass. The best practical effect to achieve that would be possibly suitmation, and even then you're limited to only humanoid shapes. If you wanna monster with a thick, heavy "knife-head" like the one in PR, good luck finding someone with the kind of neck muscles to support that kind of weight. The only reason why Godzilla did so well in suitmation in the 60's and 70's was because the design was drastically changed to look less heavy and realistic than it's 1954 predecessor. Prior to those changes, actors would pass out from heat exhaustion in just about every camera set-up and cups of sweat would be drained from the suit. So you would either have actor abuse or compromised creature designs. Take your pick.

And then there are water effects, which can never really be miniaturized without at least some CGI assistance. Even LOTR had to use digitized effects around the practical set for the dam breaking in order to make everything look adequate.

The best result comes from the CGI effects used in the PR movie. And this is coming from a man who generally likes practical effects in Hollywood movies. That is, unless of course you wanna take the other route and have Stan Winston Studios build a large-scale robotic animatronic for the movies. But that would be staying as true to the original Toho kaiju productions as using CGI, so nothing of importance was really gained in the nostalgic sense. Usually that kind of stuff in modern cinema is a throw back to late 80's high-budgeted American movies, not lower-budgeted Japanese pulp fiction flicks.

Tat being said, it would have been interesting to see some animatronics at work in the monster effects. But CGI is at the point where the visual results would be just about the same. (And even then the rain and other water effects would still have to be CGI in order for it to look properly miniaturized, most of the fight scenes would still have to be CGI due to the cinematography and attention to the musculature of the animals, ect.) In general, practucal effects would be more for the sake of the actors than it would be for the sake of the audience, and there were no scenes that could be shot where an actor could look at a life-size, fully functioning kaiju animatronic; not even segments of it for close-ups. The creatures were to big to practically build in order to be of any benefit to the actors. (Hence why there was more effort put into making the cockpit a practical effect, and not the monsters themselves. The actors benefited from that more than anyone else.)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Fighter battles don't have to consider shifting weight distribution and fleshy mass. The best practical effect to achieve that would be possibly suitmation, and even then you're limited to only humanoid shapes. If you wanna monster with a thick, heavy "knife-head" like the one in PR, good luck finding someone with the kind of neck muscles to support that kind of weight.

Yeah, about that . . .

The only reason why Godzilla did so well in suitmation in the 60's and 70's was because the design was drastically changed to look less heavy and realistic than it's 1954 predecessor. Prior to those changes, actors would pass out from heat exhaustion in just about every camera set-up and cups of sweat would be drained from the suit. So you would either have actor abuse or compromised creature designs. Take your pick.

This seemed to be far less of an issue as time went on; the second and third wave monster designs were a lot more bulky and complex than their predecessors, and they stuck with practical effects even when CGI became cheap and widely available.

On the topic of animatronics, they have been used in Godzilla movies in the past. They were just used sparingly and with mixed success.

And then there are water effects, which can never really be miniaturized without at least some CGI assistance. Even LOTR had to use digitized effects around the practical set for the dam breaking in order to make everything look adequate.

I never said it should be 100% practical effects, just that 100% CGI wasn't that great an idea either. IMO movies tend to work best when they're more of a hybrid effort.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Went and saw it today, I was hyped since the first day I saw a trailer and boy it didn't dissapoint. Yes it is a popcorn film, no it doesn't have deep and profound political, religious, philosophical or whatever shit some people expect from everything they see, but the movie really is live action mecha anime/kaiju genre and for the assumed target demographic I think it hit the nail.

Of course some suspension of disbelief is in order but there were some details that made the movie quite real for me, there is a sense of weight in the movement of the mechs and kaiju, each step, each blow, I was sometimes bracing myself for impact when the fights were happening. The visuals were top notch for me, it was quite colorful and the designs were awesome. Acting was ok, just the necessary for the movie to keep going but IMO not bad even if it had some cheese or cliche here and there.

As far as inspiration goes even if Del Toro didn't watch Evangelion some of it did pour to the movie, namely the interface used for the pilots with the jaeger, I mean I'm not knowledgeable in mech anime but most of what I've seen in terms on how pilots give order to the mechs most of them are quite traditional in the sense of using sticks, levers, or whatever to pilot them, in this regard Evangelion is the only one I know that uses a neurointerface to link to the mech. Of course it is not the only way they pilot the jaegers, the way they do it is actually a mesh of all of the above but still I felt the inspiration.

Anyway, I would recommend this movie, it is really a fun one and it entretains just well.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yeah, about that . . .

Guiron has a knife head that is neither heavy nor thick.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Guiron has a knife head that is neither heavy nor thick.

That's splitting some mighty fine hairs there, chief. And in any event big and thick need not be heavy -- see toucans. If they can swing around bills that large I'm sure Stan Winston could come up with a knife-headed kaiju suit that wouldn't be all that unwieldy.

(Not that Guiron's design is worth a damn, mind you; it's pretty damn awful. I'm just noting that ol' knifehead isn't exactly novel and is certainly doable via practical effects.)
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

Saw it; didn't see anything that I'd say reminded me of NGE except at second hand with the bit where Chuck was accused of having daddy issues. It did have the necessary "You leave me no choice. We'll have to use THAT!"; but for a super-robot vs kaiju move it was heavily Anglospheric, with only token Japanese flavour -- after all, outside Mako's flashback, it looked like the kaiju had a lousy sense of navigation, and managed to keep missing Tokyo!

The nerdy comedy relief scientists were not really necessary, apart from satisfying current day Hollywood stock casting requirements (in the same way the commanding officer is always black). At least it was unconventional in lacking an obtrusive romance sub-plot to get in the way of the action (or at best provide opportunity for a comfort break mid-movie a-la-Armageddon)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am

I'm sorry if I'm interrupting any debate, but I liked PR a lot. I can see why Anno was once credited on IMDB (but no longer, unfortunately) under "Special Thanks", as I kept drawing parallels between Eva and PR.

I'd give it a 8/10, it did feel a bit dumb at times, but it was a good kind of dumb.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I'd give it a 8/10, it did feel a bit dumb at times, but it was a good kind of dumb.

Well, it was "stupid," I guess. It didn't ask the viewer to do any critical thinking, but at the same time critical thinking wouldn't have revealed any plot holes or inconsistencies in the quality this movie either. It's a nice solid fun movie. :D

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, it was "stupid," I guess. It didn't ask the viewer to do any critical thinking, but at the same time critical thinking wouldn't have revealed any plot holes or inconsistencies in the quality this movie either. It's a nice solid fun movie. :D

I wouldn't go that far. The whole thing generally tied physics into a pretzel and had its way with it, and there were some particularly serious problems toward the end. Also:

SPOILER: Show
  • You're going to build a wall? From Alaska to California? Really???
  • OMG the kaiju broke through the wall! Dude, what did you think would happen?
  • Numerous instances of "hey, didn't that body part just get pulverized/impaled/ripped off? Why don't you look hurt?"
  • We have this badass sword, and it lets us instantly win the battle! But we won't break it out until we're absolutely out of all other options because reasons!
  • There are two kaiju, and they kicked the crap out of three jaegers! But wait, this refitted jaeger can beat them both without much effort.
  • Oil tankers totally work like that.
  • You can totally ride out an underwater nuke, honest!
  • The Breach only has shields one one side! Also, if you eject on the aliens' side you can totally go through even if you're not a kaiju! And even though your nuked mech collapses the Breach you can still make it back through no problem (even though you're not a kaiju)!

And that's just off the top of my head. It's a fun movie, but claiming there are no holes to be found is kind of silly.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:01 pm

The movie's all in good fun so I didn't get bothered by goofy science.

Probably the only "logic" thing that bothered me in the movie is how for the first 115 minutes they make this huge deal about how the pilots MUST be Drift compatible for them to properly pilot the Jaeger. That getting two pilots to be drift compatible is a huge deal & relies on a multitude of varying factors. That two people can't just step into a Jaeger & expect to make the machine run perfectly. That finding the correct candidates to piloting the machine is not just finding the person who has "the skills". Getting the right two people to pilot Gipsy Danger is the thrust of basically the first 100 minutes of the film.

....Then in the last 20 minutes because they need to get Idris Elba involved in the action they just throw out two one-liners about how "I bring no memories to the Drift" & "You're a daddy's boy" to skip past all the nonsense of getting two pilots in Striker Eureka. Just made me wonder if Idris Elba always knew this was essentially a suicide mission why not just tell Raleigh "Hey, let's pilot Gipsy Danger together. We can attack the Rift tomorrow!"

- Speaking of which. I guess from now on whenever I see Idris Elba in a science fiction movie I should just assume he's going to nobly sacrifice himself in the last act. Man did the same thing in "Prometheus".

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:And that's just off the top of my head. It's a fun movie, but claiming there are no holes to be found is kind of silly.

I find it a tad odd how you confused plot holes for tencho-babble incongruities. A plot about science would result in a Stephen Hawking documentary (or maybe a Star Trek: Next Generation TV episode that focused on the warp core, depending on the amount of artistic leeway is given), not an action film.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:49 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I find it a tad odd how you confused plot holes for tencho-babble incongruities. A plot about science would result in a Stephen Hawking documentary (or maybe a Star Trek: Next Generation TV episode that focused on the warp core, depending on the amount of artistic leeway is given), not an action film.

Apart from the last none of that had anything to do with techno-babble. Those were all pretty much bog-standard plot holes.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 am

Building a wall isn't plot hole. The plot stated they would do that and that's just what they did. (Heck, the Chinese did it. Why can't they?) Sure, there was a hole in the wall after a while, but not a hone in the plot around the wall.

The plot never stated that the pilots feel the Jeager's pain. We assume that because of Gundum and because we saw a shot of someone's arm in pain while piloting. At best his arm was twisted funny while piloting the Jeager.

The sword was useless until then, because they had other weapons until then. One of them even killed a whole Kaiju. You wanna switch to the sword now? Whatever dude....

And, yes. The only reason why the Aussie Jeager was defeated was because he was digital and was knocked out by a pulse emitter from the one Kaiju. The Kaiju also lost the element of surprise on the Gypsy Danger. If you're gonna sight the plot, please site all of the plot, not cherry pick the parts you think are handy in a discussion.

You think the oil tanker is anywhere here or there in the plot? Its use or misuse has nothing to do with the plot, so it would be impossible to say that its use or misuse is a hole in the movie's plot.

Again the plot wasn't about the science of the nuke. NOVA programs have plots about the science of the nuke. Techno-babble incongruities, my friend.

Of course the Breach only has shields on one side. That's what the plot stated. (They couldn't go IN to the Breach. No one said anything about going OUT.) If it stated it had shields on both sides, but then that plan worked anyway and the characters escaped from it, then it would be a plot hole. But it followed the plot that was stated quite well. You can not like it all you want, claiming it as being an arbitrary plot device (which it kind of is, I won't argue otherwise) but it's certainly not a plot hole inasmuch as it is simply following the plot that was introduced.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Building a wall isn't plot hole.

Actually, it kinda is. Leaving aside the resources involved, it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't work. I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard that and said "wait, what? That's stupid." Because, well, it is.

As for the rest:

Not sure what you're talking about re: pain, as I never said anything about that. If you're talking about the "why don't you look hurt?" bit I was referring to the jaegers and the kaiju, not the pilots. This ties into the sliding scale of resiliency I talk about below. In fairness this is a standard kaiju movie trope, but that doesn't make it less of a problem if you're going to say the movie stands up well to critical scrutiny.

No, the sword wasn't useless before then, because it was better than the other weapons at hand. Beating a kaiju with an oil tanker when you have a badass sword available is like picking up a table leg to fight an opponent with when you have a perfectly awesome claymore on your back. The fact it's their go-to weapon once it's been established just reinforces the point.

The analog vs. digital bit was pretty dumb in and of itself, and it doesn't change the fact that two highly experienced jaeger teams got ganked while the one with plot immunity killed the two kaiju that took 'em out with nary a scratch. Hell, said experienced teams couldn't even take out one kaiju by ganging up on him. The element of surprise is less a factor here than the sliding scale of resilience in play during that fight. I appreciate the fact that they made good use of their knowledge of the kaiju's weapons in that fight, but that doesn't change the fact that those two kaiju should have been able to destroy the GD pretty easily, particularly since this was Mako's first fight.

As for the Breach, the main problem is that there need to be no shields on the other side so the Gipsy Danger can get through, but at the lack of those shields means the escape pod bit doesn't work. Can't have it both ways. Likewise, we see that the Gipsy Danger takes some time to get through the Breach, and yet the pod makes it back to Earth even though we see the Breach collapse. Again, can't have it both ways. This wouldn't be an issue if the Gipsy had gone critical within the Breach (resulting in heroic sacrifice, which would have been awesome IMO but would have nyxed sequel opportunities), which is what should have happened, but that's neither here nor there. The logic of that ending was pretty convoluted no matter how you look at it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The sword was useless until then, because they had other weapons until then.
Like handfuls of shipping containers, the odd boat, and other such found items pressed into service as melee weapons when they actually had something purpose built for the task.

That was a classic bit of the waiting until the protag is on the ropes before declaring that he has been forced to use THAT.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Actually, it kinda is. Leaving aside the resources involved, it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't work. I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard that and said "wait, what? That's stupid." Because, well, it is.
And being the outcome of an intergovernmental conference, it was a perfectly plausible thing to happen for exactly that reason.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:30 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Like handfuls of shipping containers, the odd boat, and other such found items pressed into service as melee weapons when they actually had something purpose built for the task.

That was a classic bit of the waiting until the protag is on the ropes before declaring that he has been forced to use THAT.

Ayup. Dumb in Voltron, dumb here.

And being the outcome of an intergovernmental conference, it was a perfectly plausible thing to happen for exactly that reason.

. . . as a government employee I find I cannot dispute the veracity of this statement. Well played sir!

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Eh, it wouldn't be too hard to fanwank something. Raleigh figured Leatherback's skin would be too tough (leather vs. swords doesn't always work too well). Improvisational weapons are preferred to built-in systems that can be destroyed and not easily replaced. The city was too tight quarters for its use. Raleigh wasn't actually aware of the weapon, it was something Mako worked up when she was restoring Gypsy Danger. It was something Mako was saving for a Kaiju death blow -- the weapon wasn't actually necessary, they could have used the plasma canon, too.
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Just saw it last night.

Short version: it was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. It was awesome spotting all the various references / homages to other films as well. As for plot holes and silly science? Given the constraints of the genre, I'm willing to roll with it as it never detracted from my enjoyment of what was happening on-screen.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Just saw it last night.

Short version: it was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. It was awesome spotting all the various references / homages to other films as well. As for plot holes and silly science? Given the constraints of the genre, I'm willing to roll with it as it never detracted from my enjoyment of what was happening on-screen.

Well, don't get me wrong -- I don't think they detracted from the film in the slightest. Hell, some of them were so dumb they added to the film's authenticity, bringing to mind similar absurdity in the source material. I was mainly just taking issue with Freaky's assertion that there weren't any, since that's a kinda silly assertion to make.

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, don't get me wrong -- I don't think they detracted from the film in the slightest. Hell, some of them were so dumb they added to the film's authenticity, bringing to mind similar absurdity in the source material. I was mainly just taking issue with Freaky's assertion that there weren't any, since that's a kinda silly assertion to make.

In fact, I'd go even further and assert it wasn't absurd or unrealistic enough. It was over-the-top in moments here and there and those were definitely the best parts. Instead, it went for the subdued, overly western masculine approach. The characters were too quiet for the parts that were over the top. Even the cancelling the apocalypse speech just kind of falls flat. It's a little blip of noise in an otherwise subdued character.

Again, if Raleigh were more like Kamina, the movie would have been way better.

(Note: For all the shit I'm giving the movie, I did like it.)
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Return to “Film and Video”