Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Likewise. Haven't seen you in ages.

What was it, 2007? 2008?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:What was it, 2007? 2008?

Oh, man... Latter part of the 00s is a total blur to me right now. I can't assign years to anything. I need to sit down and work on that problem sometime. -o-;

Well, got back from Otakon a couple of hours ago. It was great to see Monkey, chocomanji, and drinian again, even though things were generally insane and I didn't get to hang out quite as much as I would have liked. All the weight of the con years I missed just, like, came crashing down on me. (You'll have to formally invite me down for a couple of days of honorary hang-out time, Aaron-kun. :3) I got some high-quality Eva / biology / sociology nerd time in with Bagheera, too. Apparently I managed to not completely traumatize him, but I suppose I'll let him be the judge of that!

Also caught NeverKnowsBest, "doggy" (and, yes, he does speak articulated English!), and the IRC's JeffersonLeeEng. (There was also a unregistered admirer who approached me to express her appreciation of my posts here. I felt so... fluffy and :redface:. But she took off before we could chat any. Awshucks...) B-b-but.... we need more! More EvaGeeks geeks!

Well, I can forgive ya'll for not wanting to be at Otakon specifically. It's horrifically, unhealthily overcrowded. The "Japanese subway" comparison is all too apt. Are they just going to keep on packing people into the Baltimore Convention Center and the Hilton until some tragic overcrowding-related incident happens? Moving from one location to another is ridiculous. Getting into panels is ridiculous. It's at the point where I ended up just not fucking bothering at all with most of the ones I'd initially highlighted -- spared myself the frustration expressed by folks at the feedback session at the end.

I did go to both of the Eva ones, of course. (There was only supposed to be one, but Aaron had to fill in for a panel that went MIA.) It was a little weird, not being up at front. I could have benefited from the mic a few times. Aaron and I need to collab again. I do have an idea for next year...

Sunday (which ended not too long ago), I spent much of the day in Otachan at chocomanji's invite. (She doesn't show around here anymore, but she's Monkey/Aaron's better half -- I can say that, right? -- and absolutely sweet and wonderful. Well, to me, at least. Maybe not to Aaron all the time. :tongue: ) It was fun. I played with clay and made a kirin head, and took it home. (Well, technically not a kirin, but it's slightly easier to say that than to say it's an original character that's simply based on a kirin.) I'll post a picture later, if I remember.

I also spent quite a bit of money. Maybe I'll make a post to "hauls" later. I dunno.
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Well, got back from Otakon a couple of hours ago. It was great to see Monkey, chocomanji, and drinian again, even though things were generally insane and I didn't get to hang out quite as much as I would have liked. All the weight of the con years I missed just, like, came crashing down on me. (You'll have to formally invite me down for a couple of days of honorary hang-out time, Aaron-kun. :3) I got some high-quality Eva / biology / sociology nerd time in with Bagheera, too. Apparently I managed to not completely traumatize him, but I suppose I'll let him be the judge of that!

Feh. No trauma here. I wasn't bothered by the crowds, either, but in my case my standard for comparison is SDCC so nothing fazes me. Heck, even traffic was a breeze by compare.

I did go to both of the Eva ones, of course. (There was only supposed to be one, but Aaron had to fill in for a panel that went MIA.) It was a little weird, not being up at front. I could have benefited from the mic a few times. Aaron and I need to collab again. I do have an idea for next year...

I might as well. Something about perceptions of Eva on either side of the pond, Shinji's status as a card-carrying vertebrate, that sort of thing . . .

Sunday (which ended not too long ago), I spent much of the day in Otachan at chocomanji's invite. (She doesn't show around here anymore, but she's Monkey/Aaron's better half -- I can say that, right? -- and absolutely sweet and wonderful. Well, to me, at least. Maybe not to Aaron all the time. :tongue: ) It was fun. I played with clay and made a kirin head, and took it home. (Well, technically not a kirin, but it's slightly easier to say that than to say it's an original character that's simply based on a kirin.) I'll post a picture later, if I remember.

Ooh, fun! Next year I definitely need to take leave on Monday and go back a day later. I missed out on all of Sunday. :(
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Con spiel forthcoming, but for now:

PRO TIP: Always follow instructions to check in, sign waivers, and get panelist ribbons, otherwise your panel might get cancelled and given to someone else. This actually happened. FACT.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 703&type=1

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

I know I am late to the show by a lot but the eva panels were fun. thanks for you guys running them.
No weapon against us shall prosper

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks, I have fun doing them. You coming to Otakon this year? It's going to be the 20th Otakon. It's going to be a big one.

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, it will be my 3rd...are you doing Katsucon? I also need to thank you for the fun trivia you had rolling after the one.
No weapon against us shall prosper

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey kids, particularly any of you out west who've never made it to Otakon due to the distance, Otakon just announced today that will be hosting the first Otakon Vegas! It'll be next January, so start planning to attend now! I'll be there, running the panels department, probably hosting a panel or two, as is usually the case.

http://www.otakonvegas.com/

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am

Oh my god!!!
My two favorite things in the world, vegas style gambling and anime!!!!!!
Now I am all emo cause I prob will miss it. :'(
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 am

FWIW I'll be heading to Baltimore for Otakon this year. Anyone else going?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

I'll be there, busy staffing as usual. A late night drink may be in the cards.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Bags is getting in good with the admins, I see. Save some ass-kissery for us mere mortals, please.

I'll be in Baltimore for a little bit, but I don't think I'll be there in that date range. Not that you lot would want to meet me, anyway.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Bags is getting in good with the admins, I see. Save some ass-kissery for us mere mortals, please.

Hah! Not so much. I tried that already, it didn't work.

I'll be in Baltimore for a little bit, but I don't think I'll be there in that date range. Not that you lot would want to meet me, anyway.

Oh, I don't know. I'm in no position to throw stones, so you might be surprised.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hah! Not so much. I tried that already, it didn't work.

I can only be bribed with boobs.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Otakon 2013

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm

http://otakon.com/

Not going myself, I was curious to know if anyone other than The Eva Monkey I assume, will be there. They have a killer guest lineup, the big names for me being Yoko Kanno, Home Made Kazoku, and Shinichiro Watanabe. Tomokazu Seki, who voiced Touji, will also be there.

If someone who is going would be open to attempting to obtain Seki's autograph on a shikishi board on my behalf, I can reimburse you for your time and effort plus shipping of course. Let me know.

Note: This was originally set up as a separate thread before I saw this one and was merged in.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:16 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Bags is getting in good with the admins, I see. Save some ass-kissery for us mere mortals, please.

oh that's where you are? I heard a lot of bad things about that place (like it's Detroit tier) but I still hope you are having fun!

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 am

I-I'll be p-popping my convention ch-cherry at Otakon this year if anyone wants to get d-drinks or something. :blush:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:oh that's where you are? I heard a lot of bad things about that place (like it's Detroit tier) but I still hope you are having fun!

There are two Baltimores, unfortunately. I don't live in the one you're thinking of. Basically if you don't go into east or west baltimore, and don't get involved in gangs or drugs, Baltimore is actually an okay place to live. There are entire neighborhoods completely devoid of violence and blight. Actually, there's a third Baltimore if you consider the prefabricated tourist destination known as the Inner Harbor.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I-I'll be p-popping my convention ch-cherry at Otakon this year if anyone wants to get d-drinks or something. :blush:

Hopefully I'll get my staff schedule soon and I can set some time to hit the bar. We usually meet up for drinks at the Hilton bar.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:There are two Baltimores, unfortunately. I don't live in the one you're thinking of. Basically if you don't go into east or west baltimore, and don't get involved in gangs or drugs, Baltimore is actually an okay place to live. There are entire neighborhoods completely devoid of violence and blight. Actually, there's a third Baltimore if you consider the prefabricated tourist destination known as the Inner Harbor.

Which seems to be where the convention center is, or at least close to it. I didn't have any problems walking from there to my hotel in the dead of night, so it never occurred to me that Baltimore might be a less than pleasant place.

Hopefully I'll get my staff schedule soon and I can set some time to hit the bar. We usually meet up for drinks at the Hilton bar.

Should be interesting to see who shows up.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 pm

I will of course also be attending Otakon yet again this year. Although there is one Evangelion panel on the list, I don't think anyone here is involved with hosting it. Will see folks at the Hilton bar as usual; otherwise, keep an eye out for me at any Doctor Who photoshoots. Cheers.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Return to “Anime and Manga”