2.0 Preview vs. 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Monkey wrote:I expect improvements and alterations. But it's when there are things, that are shown, that are not even in the movie, that I call bullshit.

Yeah the preview turned out to be a mock-up. At least the TV version of 1.01 had the proper preview (mentioned here).

Apparently Kara had an idea of where to go with things but changed their minds or who knows what. ...Either way, I'd take the Q preview with a grain of salt, myself.

Source plz. I'd love you forever.

AchtungAffen has the source I think. In the meantime, there's this: http://theplanetsthatmatter.com/features/yoshiyuki_sadamoto_young_ace_interview/yoshiyuki_sadamoto_young_ace_interview.html

[2009-07-31 11:50:32] AchtungAffen: Not long ago I read fragments about a Tsurumaki interview in which he said the following:
"We didn't even know what type of personality the new character should have until well into the production of 2.0" "Her name was going to be Mariko, but got changed halfway"
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:34 pm

The Rebuild films were originally announced to all be released within the span of one year. A new film every three or four months.

Personally I feel that at the very beginning this whole franchise was built to raise capital for Studio Khara to become it's own independent animation studio. You need cash? Do a quicky series of Eva films. Instant profit.
And I just get this vibe that when Anno wrote the first film that was the idea but during production he become enthralled in what he could now do and really began to reconsider this series in a new light. (I would say his reconstruction of Operation Yashima from the ground up was the impetus) Thus after seeing what he could once Film 1 ended he went back to the drawing board and restructred everything.

But who knows. The benefit of making an animation film is that it's easy to keep things secret cause you can do 90% of the work in house. As long as Khara makes sure no one takes a flash drive and posts a series of production art on the net they can keep the development secret. No problem having to deal with location scouting, reshoots, etc.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:49 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'd take the Q preview with a grain of salt, myself.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking as well.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The Rebuild films were originally announced to all be released within the span of one year. A new film every three or four months.

I don't ever remember hearing that.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:05 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I don't ever remember hearing that.
It was when the series was first announced in Newtype, back when it was still called Rebuild. All the films were supposed to be out by the end of 2008. Ha.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Here is the teaser with the original tenative releases date.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Hotrod93
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hotrod93 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 am

Im not going to lie I do prefer most of the older ones to the new ones, Than again most people do.

Changes were made I guess to make it look better and give it more of the drawn art instead of the CCGI(Cartoon computer generated image) effects or just because it just needed to be improved?
Call me Hotrod, Everyone does.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm

i'm amazed that so many people prefer the original preview. i personally think the new version is gorgeous. :nosebleed:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm

^ Same here, for the most part. Mari's scene looks less saturated in 2.22, as the preview had too much pink. Asuka's artwork in the preview looked off, since she had a squat face mostly copied from episode 19. The Adams look beautiful in 2.22 due to the art shift.

Also, the Bardi-scene has a nice, warm pink sky instead of the sickly yellow. :3

Eva-05, 02, and Mark.06 do look a lot better in the preview, though.

...And, yeah, I'm disappointed that Leliel had no role in the movie. D:

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:48 am

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:Eva-05, 02, and Mark.06 do look a lot better in the preview, though.

this seems to be a recurring claim. in the case of mark.06, i agree it looks more sinister in the preview, because it's darker and all. but i think in the new version, it looks sharper and shinier-- which makes it seem more "angelic" in my mind. :tongue: i appreciate that little bit of irony.

besides, it's kaworu. he doesn't need darkness to make himself look creepy. :chuckles:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:06 pm

The problem with the new eva-06 is that it kind of looks like some king of insect...

Helius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Helius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 pm

View Original Posttrueno_twentyone wrote:I prefer the areal drop scene for Unit 02 in the preview. There are clouds on the sky! :)

Yeah, while I like the changes made in 2.22 for the most part, I wish they would've kept the clouds! The drop sequence looked much more beautiful in the older version than in 2.22.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: [Spoilers] 2.0 Preview vs. 2.22

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:57 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Image Image

I LOVE the change... the preview-version totally reminds me of

:/

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Oh fuck, that episode gave me nightmares as a child fuck you for reminding me of it.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 pm

I like the aerial drop and 06 showcase better in the preview.
The aerial drop because it makes more sense for Eva-02 to show up as a dark silhouette when the sun is behind it like that. The Eva-06 showdown because the colors of the shot in general is horribly gaudy and disgusting in 2.22.
Otherwise, the new ones look much better to me. I especially liked Eva-05's new color scheme and emblem.

Archaea
Embryo

Re: [Spoilers] 2.0 Preview vs. 2.22

•      
  •      

Postby Archaea » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I'm going to let the comparisons speak for themselves. Also, click the thumbnails for a larger view.

Image Image

So this is what they have been working on instead of Q... extra fine, super-great scrutinizing film polish.

Has anyone pointed out the difference in these guys? The dot (a bindi perhaps??) in the middle of the furthest right Angel's head and the outlined circle in the angel next to it. Any ideas on what these distinguishing features are hinting at? -- oh yea and in 2.0 photo, the angel with the outlined circle seems to be the leader of the 4 while in 2.22 it seems to fulfill a less dominant role.

[sorry if this is a straightforward- duh! answer- I just can't remember what was going on in this scene at all]
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:57 pm

^ that's actually not a difference between the preview and 2.22. The theatrical version had the same thing (well, as far as I can remember). It looked as if they were peering down into something.

Archaea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archaea » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 pm

What part of the film is this scene in? I would like to take a closer look at it all, but rather than sift through the entire 2.0 film- perhaps you, or someone else could point me in the right direction?

Do you have any ideas what/ who they are? Souls of Angels, ect
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Those are the Adam(s) from Second Impact.

EDIT: Because I don't believe anybody uploaded it on EGF (this preview really isn't an easily-obtainable thing since it wasn't released on a DVD/BD or anything), here's the corrected 2.0 preview from the 1.01 TV showing: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ymjmoynjzi

Enjoy.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Archaea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archaea » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:26 pm

well I should have figured- As with all things Eva, the answer to one question creates two more questions.

What now- 5 Adams? 5 souls for 5 Adams, for one impact?
Is this all common knowledge here? I don't quite understand...

Well After doing some searching on this forum- I have found two threads dedicated to this topic and so here is a sign post, for those as confused as I.
Hijacking-Averted

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=359290

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9175

PS. Thanks for the link!

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

View Original PostArchaea wrote:What part of the film is this scene in?

When Kaji is talking to Shinji at the aquarium, it flashes back to this, right before the Angel appears in orbit.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”