Asuka incident

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 pm

It seem's Bardiel is taking up the role of Arael.
And why the sudden change from a gas cloud in NGE to a fungus in RoE?
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:33 pm

View Original PostNegativeZero wrote:the whole debate is completely pointless.

View Original PostNegativeZero wrote:Either way it's not going to matter.

If it's pointless, then why did you posted images, and tried to get in an explication? Just because suddenly your explanation has been shown to have more reasons to support a different one doesn't mean you should throw the board of the table and say "You know what? it doesn't matter!"

The minute you enter a discussion like this, you are intrinsically accepting it's not pointless, and if it is, then simply stop posting/following the topic. This is a guessing name; all the theories could be wrong, or one of hem could be right.

That said...

View Original PostNegativeZero wrote:when she's removed from the plug she clearly has a physical form again - the shot of her in the bondage getup in the basement shows her hair and her nose.

We never see Shikinami being PHYSICALLY removed from the plug, and from what little we see we simply see that there's breathing, there's hair, and there's feet (presumably) it still doesn't mean to tell us the rest of the body (what's inside the coffin, underneath the mask) has completely been reformed.

View Original PostNegativeZero wrote:Ritsuko states that there's no signs of 'physical contamination' which would be a pretty ironic statement if the girl in question was contained in a large beaker on her desk.

Check the answer I gave Lucretius some pages behind this one to the same comment; it's very possible she could be mentioning that about the LCL itself IF SHIKINAMI GOT TANGED.

View Original PostNegativeZero wrote:So either she got tanged, then at the very moment that Eva-01 crunched her plug in half and killed the angel, she was somehow un-tanged immediately (otherwise she'd be splattered everywhere) so they could pull her out of it later, or she never lost physical form at all.

Or they recovered the LCL and are attempting a reverse contact experiment to try and reform the body/are trying to stabilize the current thing they have.

Otherwise, what else could Ritsuko be talking about if she just said "No signs of physical contamination" and then adds "Nerv's Latest Sample"? and if there are "NO signs of physical contamination" then why do people think the eye patch is hiding something?
Last edited by Eric Blair on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:12 pm

And why the sudden change from a gas cloud in NGE to a fungus in RoE?

Strange, I thought he was a fungus in the series.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Indeed he was (you can see some of it covering the Entry Plug and some INSIDE the Plug).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:20 pm

He was, though he infected Bardiel by apparently hovering in a cloud. I can understand why this might give an impression of a gas form, but most likely, Bardiel was just a bunch of fungal spores floating around in a cloud. Or Bardiel can, you know, just fucking shapeshift like every other Angel.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:07 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:and if there are "NO signs of physical contamination" then why do people think the eye patch is hiding something?

It's because people want that to be true, much like the sequel theory.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

i tried, you guys, i really did, but...

I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING RESEMBLING A FACE IN THAT PIC. :boohoo:

(see, this is why i was smart enough to go into engineering instead of art. i suck at art).

i think i'm going to come back to this thread tonight, when i'm at home, with my own laptop and none of the pictures are blocked by stupid work servers... and then i'll proceed to squint at the screen for half an hour and see if my brain does its job.

meanwhile, if relates at all to a possible asukael, i'm on board! :thumbsup:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

The black circles to the left of Asuka's hair are one eye. There's some more stuff like that in the middle of where all the light is radiating from. Then, near Asuka's shoulder, there's a little upward curve where a smile is.

And, as Eric said, there's no contamination, they've said as much. That makes Asukael exceedingly unlikely.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Apologies if this was already mentioned, but having the relevant section from Maya and Ritsuko at hand is good, I think:

After Shinji wakes up from the helltrain and the Nerv MIBs show up to lock him away until it's time to see Gendo, the scene cuts to Eva-03's entry plug, then after that is the scene with Maya and Ritsuko:

TECH: Unit-03 debris recovery vehicles should each have...
___

RITSUKO: Physiologically, all traced of contamination are gone, but there is the chance the Angel infiltrated her mind. She'll have to be kept quarantined for now.
MAYA: They won't neutralize her, will they?
RITSUKO: She's a priceless specimen. They wouldn't dare.

Squall's subs uses a mix of the Evageeks translation as well as the official 2.0 subs from a theatrical showing, so things should be accurate. I think this scene helps reinforce that not only Asuka did NOT revert to LCL during Bardiel, but she is most likely in mind-raped state ala 22' (or something akin to it, of course, we'd have to wait until Q to see just what happens!) instead of actually becoming an Angel herself. Asukael would be pretty lame, IMO. I at least hope Q will have something in flashback form Asuka's past and or what she experienced during the Bardiel mindrape.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I think this scene helps reinforce that not only Asuka did NOT revert to LCL during Bardiel

I dunno, when you read it again and focus on:

Ritsuko Akagi wrote: Physiologically, all traced (sic) of contamination are gone,<snip>

It simply tells me that what they have right now, is not contaminated, especially if we abide by the accepted definition that physiology is the scientific method applied to determine how organisms, organ systems, organs, cells and biomolecules carry out the chemical or physical function that they have in a living system; it doesn't tell me that she didn't got LCLed, covered, raped or anything else inside the plug; the bit about:

Ritsuko Akagi wrote:(...) there is the chance the Angel infiltrated her mind. She'll have to be kept quarantined for now.

Does imply a mindrape, but I'm guessing this is just another wink and nod at the oldfags to go "Oh! hey! remember when they did that in the old, crappily animated series?"

The part that makes me wonder is:

Maya Ibuki wrote:MAYA: They won't neutralize her, will they?

Ritsuko Akagi wrote:She's a priceless specimen. They wouldn't dare.

Who are "THEY"? it sounds so ominous that, while Maya might be talking about Nerv, makes me wonder if Ritsuko is once again talking about something more than she knows... Nerv Germany? Seele?
Last edited by Eric Blair on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd say Maya thinks that Nerv-Japan might euthanize her or something, and that Ritsuko is talking Seele.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

The way I took that line is that she WAS physically contaminated but isn't when that scene occurs.

I'm thinking that she was turned into blue stuff, then reverted back to her normal self when the angel was destroyed, bringing some amount of contamination with her. Thus, any injuries she has are a result of the surgical removal of angel matter, not anything 01 did.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The way I took that line is that she WAS physically contaminated but isn't when that scene occurs.

Even with the coffin scene visual being the immediate follow up?

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm thinking that she was turned into blue stuff, then reverted back to her normal self when the angel was destroyed, bringing some amount of contamination with her.

Oh, boy... you have approved (somewhat, leaving you some space to rectify if it's not the case) my theory...

I feel conflicted now. :wink:

View Original PostNemZ wrote:any injuries she has are a result of the surgical removal of angel matter, not anything 01 did.

I have never thought of that, to be quite honest; it's an interesting idea.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Even with the coffin scene visual being the immediate follow up?

Sure... it only makes sense to keep her under very close watch and in isolated containment with whatever the hell those rod things are.

Oh, boy... you have approved (somewhat, leaving you some space to rectify if it's not the case) my theory...

I feel conflicted now. :wink:

I said as much on the last page. After watching the slow-mo clip I've signed up to the "Blueberry Asuka" bandwagon.

No worries, even you can be right once in a while. :smirk:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:11 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:No worries, even you can be right once in a while. :smirk:

:smirk:

You, however need to keep trying. :wink:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:13 pm

In regards to the confusion regarding who the face belongs to: take a look at the hair.

We can see that a thick group bangs converge between the eyes; does this remind you of a character we're familiar with? Now look at Asuka's.

ImageImage

It cannot be Asuka because, while she does have a slice of her bangs that go between her eyes, it is not nearly as thick as Rei's, or the face in that picture. The other two parts of Asuka's bangs also go in the outward direction, rather than down and around the face.

Also because this:

[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4538/r31z.jpg]Image[/URL]

I think it's pretty safe to bet that the face in the background belongs to Rei.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Aaaah! But which Rei?

My own messed up theory? The core in unit 02 is actually something like the DPS, a core made of (one of the clones of) Rei.

either that or all angels have the form of Rei when becoming semi human.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 pm

This shit is blowing my mind. I have to rewatch the film, especially for the Asuka scenes (God, did my heart go pitter-patter when she appeared). After all, Eric Blair-san is not the only one with a crush on her.

At first I was sort of annoyed with her role in the film, but I'm starting to think that this Rebuild Asuka could be pretty interesting. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Eric Blair-san is not the only one with a crush on her.

That's alright O-chan, my love and devotion goes only to Soryu, not Shikinami.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Hehe, well, if "Shikinami" had several hours more screen time, I'd be able to decide how she stands up against my beloved original. Soryu's mind-rape scene is, after all, nearly a shot-for-shot parallel of my own "mixed-states", so I can't help but cheer for her. I mean, it's eerie. (It is hard for me to watch, but that's part of what resonates so strongly.) Anno-san totally knows his psychodrama, I'll give him that.

If Shikinami plays her cards right in 3.0, maybe she can get an honourary mention. The "angel contamination" angle could be interesting, and this thread gives me additional hope.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”