Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:02 pm

View Original PostCesario wrote:sorry, but this may not be the correct area for this, but does anyone know for sure if tiffany grant is doing the dub voice for Asuka?
cause i really hope she does, i cant see someone else doing it the same way she does

Hasn't been announced yet, try this one for the voice actor debate.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

Interview with Lance Heiskell, marketing director at Funimation, reveals that Evangelion 2.22 casting information and more will be revealed in spring! (84:20)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-10-22

Just a sidenote, GREAT thing to hear was that Evangelion 1.11 was Funimation's BEST SELLER! (63:40)

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Not sure.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:58 am

The highest, higher than DBZ Dragonbox they said.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am

View Original PostTaekmkm wrote:The highest, higher than DBZ Dragonbox they said.

Impressive!
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm

So I was at Youmacon, and I ran into Caitlin Glass who does Maya Ibuki. I actually went out on a limb and asked if she knew who was going to do Asuka. She told me "I don't see why it WOULDN'T be Tiffany..."

Nothing definitive, but I figured it was worthy to note.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am

Has anyone been watching Spike Spencer's Facebook page (link) in the past week and a half? It seems he's been at Funimation doing some recording! Here's some of what Spencer has been posting:

Spike Spencer, F.G. - 9th Nov wrote:One long day of recording at Funimation down. Wooo! What an awesome day! Then dinner with awesome VA friends who rock!

Spike Spencer, F.G. - 10th Nov wrote:Good God, Loving working at Funimation. Hey Mike ya readin this from the other room there? Kisses. Gurk, Meh, RANCH!!!

Spike Spencer, F.G. - 11th Nov wrote:Back in the booth for just one more day at Funimation then off to do more travelling. Tomorrow- Ottawa!

Spike Spencer, F.G. - 11th Nov wrote:Screaming, screaming, screaming, screaming, pass out, fall on floor, cry a little, get up, screaming, screaming, screaming, get paid, smile, pass out again. Ahhh, Funimation, how I do love thee.

Some folks are the Funi boards think these newsposts are an indication that Spencer has been recording for 2.xx. :chinscratch:
Voluntary Illusion.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 am

Ah, gotta love wacky ole' Spike.

Screaming, screaming, screaming, screaming, pass out, fall on floor, cry a little, get up, screaming, screaming, screaming, get paid, smile, pass out again. Ahhh, Funimation, how I do love thee.

This puts me mind of a problem the VAs are going to have or already have had with 2.0.

Its a major plot point in the original Japanese that Shinji calls everyone by their surname. Indeed in 2.0 we have the 'I give you special permission to call me Asuka' scene

In the dub of the final scenes of 1.0 Shinji is calling out 'Rei! Rei!' as he opens the door of the plug but for the most part we only see his back.

Compare to the original of 2.0 where the final scenes have repeated close-up of him screaming 'Ayanami!'.

What im saying is Funi have backed themselves into a corner a bit with choosing to have ReShinji on a first name basis with most of the characters. Im sure they'll find a way to synch with the mouth-flaps

They'd better not balls that scene up though.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't think it's a big deal. You could just say he's addressing her in a different manner because she's "new".

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I was led to believe that it was an important part of the way Shinji's personality was presented.

Whether the Rebuild VA's have made a conscious decision to change it (maybe was considered sound too awkward and clunky to western ears) or they didnt think about it would be something to ask them about at a convention :P

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I was led to believe that it was an important part of the way Shinji's personality was presented.

Most Japanese at least start off a relationship by referring to people by their last names. With someone as distant and weird as Rei, it's no wonder Shinji never progressed to a first-name basis with her.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:31 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Ah, gotta love wacky ole' Spike.

This puts me mind of a problem the VAs are going to have or already have had with 2.0.

Its a major plot point in the original Japanese that Shinji calls everyone by their surname. Indeed in 2.0 we have the 'I give you special permission to call me Asuka' scene

In the dub of the final scenes of 1.0 Shinji is calling out 'Rei! Rei!' as he opens the door of the plug but for the most part we only see his back.

Compare to the original of 2.0 where the final scenes have repeated close-up of him screaming 'Ayanami!'.

What im saying is Funi have backed themselves into a corner a bit with choosing to have ReShinji on a first name basis with most of the characters. Im sure they'll find a way to synch with the mouth-flaps

They'd better not balls that scene up though.

I could see them having Shinji say "Ayanami! Rei Ayanami!!" or something like that. People tend to call each other by their full names when they're serious.

Lol @ Spike Spencer's comments.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

I get the feeling we're all going to be sorely disappointed with Mr. Spencer's performance. Him, Shinji and screaming just don't mix at all...

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:39 pm

uh.. bratwurst? Strudel?
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Him, Shinji and screaming just don't mix at all...

You cant say he doesnt go for it all guns blazing but unfortunately the scream upon seeing Unit 02's giblets in EoE is not unlike a extended wilhelm.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:You cant say he doesnt go for it all guns blazing but unfortunately the scream upon seeing Unit 02's giblets in EoE is not unlike a extended wilhelm.
You know who would make a great Shinji? Vic Mignogna. Say, what you want about his voice, but that man can scream.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:35 pm

View Original Postpsychosis090 wrote:I get the feeling we're all going to be sorely disappointed with Mr. Spencer's performance. Him, Shinji and screaming just don't mix at all...

you will be disappointed. Please dont speak for everyone here. I have no doubt Spike will do just fine in 2.0.

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:30 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:you will be disappointed. Please dont speak for everyone here. I have no doubt Spike will do just fine in 2.0.

Oh, lighten the fuck up a bit, would ya?

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:24 am

View Original PostClover wrote:You know who would make a great Shinji? Vic Mignogna. Say, what you want about his voice, but that man can scream.

That would actually be an interesting casting choice. That guy can totally act. But I think he might sound too old to play Shinji. Even playing Edward Elric is pushing it quite a bit...
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Mari to be announced on the 27th

http://blog.funimation.com/2010/12/funicon-5-0-%E2%80%93-holiday-special-extravaganza/

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”