Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:28 pm

^
There are exceptions like with Asuka and her hand puppet and why she carries it around, I just think it would be a shame if Anno did nothing with that.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:42 am

You could do the hand puppet story without using a flashback though. Like maybe someone tries to take it away or comments on it and she flips the f*** out. With this I think it would be better to provide enough pieces to get the picture without overselling the case.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:02 am

@Brainman Good point, I would like to see Asuka's reaction if they misplace that doll.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 am

Misato's 2.0 flashback presented an effective model -- quick, lyrical, to the point. You gotta be careful, though. Eva's backstory is enormous... give it an inch and it could consume the whole film.

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:05 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:That's right, we don't necessarily need to reveal dark childhood secrets to find out what a character is made of. One cool thing about EoE is how it turns the barely-developed bridge bunnies into fairly compelling personalities. In not much screen time, too. In fact, I think Rebuild should avoid flashbacks as much as possible -- better to reveal character in the narrative "present". I don't care why Mari is crazy as much as I want to know how that craziness impacts the world around her.

This.

Which leads to; Neon Code Frontier Bleach StrikerBRS XD
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:04 am

You know, I have to question something. Since there's only 3 angels left, what if in Rebuild Kaworu isn't an angel? Now, hear me out for a moment. What if, instead, Kaworu is Seele's attempt at making an Angel, using a small part of the soul that's inside Unit/Mark.06, so they could have a 'god' as the pilot of Mark.06, since Mark.06 is an attempt at making an actual god. This could explain how he's able to survive on the moon without a space suit and such. There isn't any proof behind this theory though, so feel free to tear me apart if needed.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:23 am

^ Sometimes I think that it's Mark-06 who may be Tabris instead of Kaworu. It could explain his much more serious behaviour inside of Mark-06 when compared to when he's outside it.

Son of Lilin
Adam

Postby Son of Lilin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am

View Original PostScottAsher wrote:You know, I have to question something. Since there's only 3 angels left, what if in Rebuild Kaworu isn't an angel? Now, hear me out for a moment. What if, instead, Kaworu is Seele's attempt at making an Angel, using a small part of the soul that's inside Unit/Mark.06, so they could have a 'god' as the pilot of Mark.06, since Mark.06 is an attempt at making an actual god. This could explain how he's able to survive on the moon without a space suit and such. There isn't any proof behind this theory though, so feel free to tear me apart if needed.

His survival on the moon without a space suit can just as easily be explained by him being an angel.

Although your theory does make one think about whose/what soul is in Mark.06. One of the Adams'?

ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:^ Sometimes I think that it's Mark-06 who may be Tabris instead of Kaworu. It could explain his much more serious behaviour inside of Mark-06 when compared to when he's outside it.

That also makes sense. Though, I think Anno claimed his serious look was to give him a sort of jealous feel to seeing Shinji with Rei, and that he was originally going to have that spacey grin he always has. But that's just something I read on /a/, so take that with a grain of salt and such.

View Original PostSon of Lilin wrote:His survival on the moon without a space suit can just as easily be explained by him being an angel.

Although your theory does make one think about whose/what soul is in Mark.06. One of the Adams'?

Either one of the Adams or someone that died during the second impact. Maybe the soul of someone related to Mari that died during it?

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Well, regarding Mark 6, I'm curious as to what distinguishes a "true" Evangelion from a regular one. I mean, if Unit 01 was a phony but was still able to do what it did at the end of 2.0, what can a legitimate Evangelion do?

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Well, regarding Mark 6, I'm curious as to what distinguishes a "true" Evangelion from a regular one. I mean, if Unit 01 was a phony but was still able to do what it did at the end of 2.0, what can a legitimate Evangelion do?

Pack enough firepower to make Hayate Yagami shit her pantsu, most likely.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 pm

It will either be like Anima with Asuka returning as some sort of Angel/hybrid, Hikari working in NERV, Shinji turning into a mini Kaji, a zombie Kaji/Kiel fusion, Super EVAs, and multiple Rei clones........ or it will turn out the while thing was a dream or it ends up happy with Shinji graduating highschool, Shinji getting a job as a Sentai ranger actor in an Eva costume and marrying Misato.

Which is how my first playthrough of SIRP went....... :lol:

Just kidding. :nyao:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 am

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Well, regarding Mark 6, I'm curious as to what distinguishes a "true" Evangelion from a regular one. I mean, if Unit 01 was a phony but was still able to do what it did at the end of 2.0, what can a legitimate Evangelion do?

The use of "true" makes me think of Death(true)2. I've never understood why the second and third edits of that film had "true" inserted into the title, but perhaps they're using the word in a similar way? :shrug:

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

All this 'omfg plizzz mindfuck' for 3.0 is getting pretty annoying. I'd be happy if we got a solid properly told story, I dont see the point in jizzing over gratuitous rapid frame shifts and close ups of Shinji's eyeball over and over again.

We had EoE and episodes 25&26, that's enough. A dark grim story with some psychoanalytical undertones would be more than enough. You can be dark and edgy and different without pausing the story to delve into Shinji's mind for half the movie.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 pm

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:All this 'omfg plizzz mindfuck' for 3.0 is getting pretty annoying. I'd be happy if we got a solid properly told story, I dont see the point in jizzing over gratuitous rapid frame shifts and close ups of Shinji's eyeball over and over again.

We had EoE and episodes 25&26, that's enough. A dark grim story with some psychoanalytical undertones would be more than enough. You can be dark and edgy and different without pausing the story to delve into Shinji's mind for half the movie.

I agree that I don't want more Shinji; I want more mindfuck involving Shikinami.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm

More Asuka in general would be good.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:All this 'omfg plizzz mindfuck' for 3.0 is getting pretty annoying. I'd be happy if we got a solid properly told story, I dont see the point in jizzing over gratuitous rapid frame shifts and close ups of Shinji's eyeball over and over again.

Hear hear. I don't see the appeal of a mental breakdown for any of the characters. Do we really want to see them moping around again? That was great in NGE, but been there, done that. How about applying EOE!Misato's take-charge attitude to the whole cast?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 am

^Cause 2.22 was such a happy film, right?

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 am

There's a lot of solid traditionally told mecha anime out there, but there's not much Evangelion.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:35 am

The strength about Evangelion's characters is that they remain realistic personalities even if you put them through an identity crisis or mental breakdown.
Realistic is NOT always the same personality no matter what. Such characters would be made out of cardboard.
Rather, realistic personalities WILL break down, and get trapped in mental pitfalls that the viewers may see coming well in advance and recognize. Realistic personalities have fallacies that are unsettlingly familiar to us, the viewers.

Evangelion without (most of) the main cast of characters experiencing gradually built up extreme mental duress is simply not Evangelion. (And I am of the opinion that Rebuild is most certainly Evangelion.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”