Take shelter from 2.0!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:47 am

Yeah, yeah, I don't know if we can count your willpower, Tines-san. ^_~

I see your point about adding/subtracting. The math makes sense. But I'm going to use marijuana to explain my view, perhaps.

Back when I used to draw a lot more (like the era when I drew my avatar) I would practice drawing the same character or scene several times, in different poses or from different angles, because at that point I still thought I might do comics or go into videogame art or maybe animation (a lot of my classmates now work in the animation industry, out in Vancouver or Montreal, and a few went south). Anyway, depending on my mood (depression, hypomania, balanced) or my intoxication (sober, high, sleepy, alert) my pictures would change. I might draw an angel, say, and one version would be very smooth and minimal, with a nice sense of movement and form. Then after smoking, I might find the same angel had elaborate feathers coming from the wings, and all these little folds and ripples in his robes. It was difficult to say which one was better. Minimalism versus Baroque, hehe. ^_~

Of course, it is possible that Rebuild will be inferior to the original. I certainly won't be able to tell until I've seen the final film, and as of right now, I'm inclined to agree that the strength of 1.0 was how smooth and stripped down it was.

But it is also possible that Anno-san will show us a new, equally interesting side to his opus. ^_^ Indeed, being the original creator, I'm more interested in what he has to say about his work than a fanfic writer. I'm always interested to see a creator's changing views on his/her own work. For example, it was fascinating to see Anne Rice return to Catholicism and reject her vampire novels (which are far superior to the pulp of our Twilight-era). I'd love to read her take on Lestat now, if she was willing to go there. Would it be better than the originals? Probably not. But as someone who styles herself an artist, I love seeing the process as much as the product, and for me, what Rebuild is... it is just more of Anno-san's mind laid bare.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 pm

I always try to get spoiled ASAP when something comes out, because I'll always be amazed when I get to actually see it. I watched 2.0 on livestream's website, though at a point close to the climactic scene the stream owner Rickrolled the good 50 people watching it.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

franzchristoph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby franzchristoph » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:Yeah, yeah, I don't know if we can count your willpower, Tines-san. ^_~

I see your point about adding/subtracting. The math makes sense. But I'm going to use marijuana to explain my view, perhaps.

Back when I used to draw a lot more (like the era when I drew my avatar) I would practice drawing the same character or scene several times, in different poses or from different angles, because at that point I still thought I might do comics or go into videogame art or maybe animation (a lot of my classmates now work in the animation industry, out in Vancouver or Montreal, and a few went south). Anyway, depending on my mood (depression, hypomania, balanced) or my intoxication (sober, high, sleepy, alert) my pictures would change. I might draw an angel, say, and one version would be very smooth and minimal, with a nice sense of movement and form. Then after smoking, I might find the same angel had elaborate feathers coming from the wings, and all these little folds and ripples in his robes. It was difficult to say which one was better. Minimalism versus Baroque, hehe. ^_~

Of course, it is possible that Rebuild will be inferior to the original. I certainly won't be able to tell until I've seen the final film, and as of right now, I'm inclined to agree that the strength of 1.0 was how smooth and stripped down it was.

But it is also possible that Anno-san will show us a new, equally interesting side to his opus. ^_^ Indeed, being the original creator, I'm more interested in what he has to say about his work than a fanfic writer. I'm always interested to see a creator's changing views on his/her own work. For example, it was fascinating to see Anne Rice return to Catholicism and reject her vampire novels (which are far superior to the pulp of our Twilight-era). I'd love to read her take on Lestat now, if she was willing to go there. Would it be better than the originals? Probably not. But as someone who styles herself an artist, I love seeing the process as much as the product, and for me, what Rebuild is... it is just more of Anno-san's mind laid bare.

This
Oka-san

www.morrismelara.com/forums

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 am

:eva01_gwar:: I call upon ye who are still faithful to the cause!

Wont be too long now I hope...

Thought I'd share this:

It eases the pain of the wait for 2.0 and is also evidence of a historic event; Evangelion in theaters! :w00t:
Also, I'm wondering what kind of people will be at the screening, assuming there are any :chuckles: hohohoho~

Off top:
oOoOoOo wrote:For example, it was fascinating to see Anne Rice return to Catholicism and reject her vampire novels.
Yeah. No more witches and vamps for us :ninja: I have every book shes written involving vampires. I wish she was still writing them; as they are among my favorite reads.
I'd love to read her take on Lestat now, if she was willing to go there. Would it be better than the originals?
Nope. But Memnoch the Devil was a nice way to go out imo. I'd still buy anything she came out with though.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 pm

What theatre was that?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:35 am

wonderluster wrote:What theatre was that?
There are screenings of Eva 1.0 (dubbed) in 70 or so locations throughout Canada and this is a ticket for one of them. :nyao: I bought it earlier this week. If you notice the date on the ticket I still have to wait 18 more days until I can use it hehe~
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:52 pm

You could buy them in advance? Well not many anime lovers that I know of in Oakville, but I'll see if I can get mine early anyway.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Hiten777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiten777 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm fine with seeing things ahead of time, but there one thing that I learn from watching jap dub with eng subs is that there are things that can be described in greater detail with Japanese dialogue, where are things that we say in America don't have as much of an impact as if they were said in Japan. My only advice to people who avoid spoilers for 2.0 is that either way if you wait till it comes out in whatever country the best way to get the full feel of emotion is to watch it in Japanese dialogue with subs. In regards to subs either way you're getting translations that are universally similar in most parts, yet some people think that by waiting for the licensed company to come out with the translations they will get a better, more accurate translation than someone who downloaded it, subbed it, and put a torrent on it. In a sense they're going to be almost the same and the plot won't change, unless the person hasn't seen the show or doesn't know what's going on at all.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
franzchristoph wrote:Go Alaska/Canada/Australian will power for quality!!!
*ahem!*

I'm from Alaska, and I've seen it, though I think I put it off longer than others just through lack of notice (it's amazing how quickly something can creep up on you if you forget about it). Do I think it better than the original? No. In seeing it, do I agree with what Professor Tines has to say of it? Oh yeah, but at the same time I must concede Ms. O's point, I can't help but be interested in how the creator himself sees the characters acting in different circumstances, for as being the creator, he has the utmost understanding of how they would act... though I believe the reason Hideaki Anno changed Asuka's name was to clear his conscience of making her, his favorite character, act OOC. (:|
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 am

Alaska Slim wrote:I believe the reason Hideaki Anno changed Asuka's name was to clear his conscience of making her, his favorite character, act OOC. (:|
That's actually an interesting and plausible notion.

Oh, and still feeling completely disinclined to see it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:16 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:I believe the reason Hideaki Anno changed Asuka's name was to clear his conscience of making her, his favorite character, act OOC. (:|
That's actually an interesting and plausible notion.

Oh, and still feeling completely disinclined to see it.

Tines-san, your trolling resistance level is abysmally low :wink:

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat May 08, 2010 4:39 am

Soon.....SOON !!!!!! :nyao:

-

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”