Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:This month's http://www.wizarduniverse.com/aninmagsub.html

Google is your friend

a basic link to the Anime Insider website, in no way answers my question, of what page it is on or a summation of what it said

A lot of people, myself included, first saw Eva by watching it off of Adult Swim (I literally first saw the show by randomly flicking channels and finding it when it aired on "Giant Robot Week" on Cartoon Network in spring 2003) Just not a lot of them went online after that. But a 50% increase in convention attendance in the last 4 years shows that "anime fandom" is changing.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:42 pm

NAveryW: "Also, they're right here in Fort Worth. That means I can visit them and yell at them for not doing the dub right."

Hey, I live in Fort Worth too.

On topic: I'd love to see Funimation get the dub, they're one of the few sufficient dubbers in my opinion.

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:36 am

Very interesting that they have done this now (as others have pointed out) waaaaaay after everyone has already seen/acquired the fansub. I guess even if it's not definite yet that FUNimation have got the distribution rights, there must at least be some serious discussions/pitching going on, which is at least movement, right?

I think, prior to this, all we've had to go on was news of ADV's failed attempt at fundraising. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement on the identity of the successful distributor relatively soon (even if that ends up not being FUNimation!)

All in all, news = movement = :thumbsup:
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 pm

this changes nothing: we new every major distributor wants it....who wouldn't?

So we know the big ones -FUNimation, Viz, ADV, Media Blasters, etc.

So its no surprise that FUNimation would be in discussions and worried about fansubbing.

and we know that FUNimation is now the biggest distributor (followed by Viz, and then a distant third, ADV)

so its certain they want it and probable that they might get it, unless ADV bets the farm on it (which they'd be fools not to)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:31 pm

When I say 'serious discussions', I mean 'nearly if not totally decided who will get it' kind of serious, not just the 'we really want it' kind. After all, as you say, all the major distributors will have wanted Rebuild for quite a while. If FUNimation was going to throw around C&D orders when they were still 1 of 15 or 20 distributors, they would have done it months ago. I'm saying that there must have been a significant shift, as in Khara must have at least narrowed the list significantly, for FUNimation to choose now as the time to issue an order.
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:18 am

....okay finally saw Anime Insider issue in store; it was in fan-mail, and AI just stated the obvious: ADV is running low on cash and FUNimation has more cash than the other companies at this point.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Re: Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 am

Furu wrote:You can read the whole story over on ANN.

The big news here (other than it about to become even harder to find 1.0 fansubs) is that this could imply Funimation has managed to grab 1.0, or are at least in talks for it. They're really the only company with the resources for it right now if nothing else, and despite their disclaimer everything they send C&Ds for eventually gets licensed. By them.

Let the rampant speculation begin! I guess.

Wait a minute...Funi has 1.0? I guess that means that Chris Sabat will likely voice all of the male characters...

Until ADV can dub Rebuild, I'll likely stay away from 1.0.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:15 am

Vegeta 20XX wrote:Until ADV can dub Rebuild, I'll likely stay away from 1.0.

You're a horrible person.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:20 am

Why am I a horrible person? Please elaborate.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:26 am

I was being facetious. What I was getting at is: ADV not being able to dub the film is a really lousy reason for not wanting to watch it. Are you just in it for the dub, or are you in it for the actual Eva? Come on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:31 am

Reichu wrote:I was being facetious. What I was getting at is: ADV not being able to dub the film is a really lousy reason for not wanting to watch it. Are you just in it for the dub, or are you in it for the Eva? Come on.

I'm afraid that Funi's going to screw Eva up. ADV did it perfectly (to my tastes, anyway), and I don't want the Angels going to the Next Dimension, if you know what the reference is. I probably will watch it, though I hope it's not...bad.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 am

There's always that OTHER option, which would let you watch the film in an extremely timely manner, but I dare not speak of it further since it would appear to interest you even less than a Funimation dub.

Just remember that you are not limited by your preferences. (Note the lack of parentheses around "not".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 am

Reichu wrote:There's always that OTHER option, which would let you watch the film in an extremely timely manner, but I dare not speak of it further since it would appear to interest you even less than a Funimation dub.

That option being?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 am

Vegeta 20XX wrote:That option being?

The way that every person on this forum saw the movie without it being licensed yet.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 am

No worries mate about this Weva 1.0... you'll always have the Teletubbies.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:43 am

BrikHaus wrote:The way that every person on this forum saw the movie without it being licensed yet.

Aren't you forgetting that the Aussies and the Germans can buy localized copies already?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:26 pm

Funimation . . . it doesn't surprise me they've sending cease and desist warnings out. Some guy on youtube had a couple hundred episodes of subbed Japanese Shinchan that aired on a Hawaiian television station. Funimation forced all the episodes to be taken down even though most if not all were episodes that they probably didn't have the rights to at the time. I think the guy got banned despite the fact that the episodes he had up were obviously from old cassette tapes and barely watchable.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:52 pm

I do believe that after all the problems of "fair use" during the US election, things are going to be a little more relaxed now, on the enforcing copyright front.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:30 am

V wrote:frankly, if ADV had any sense they've have bet the farm on Rebuild

I have a feeling that they perhaps did. If there is a bidding war going on, you know the price is just being driven up and up and up.

ADV Just re-re-re-released Eva Platinum, which heightens current interest in Eva (theoretically), and, well, as David Williams said at Anime Boston 2008 "Evangelion just prints money."

Evangelion Holiday Edition might be a sign that they think Rebuild might put them into a position of a much closer third, maybe even second.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:30 pm

...you were at AnimeBoston2008's ADV panel? in person?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”