Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Furu
Adam

Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

•      
  •      

Postby Furu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:31 pm

You can read the whole story over on ANN.

The big news here (other than it about to become even harder to find 1.0 fansubs) is that this could imply Funimation has managed to grab 1.0, or are at least in talks for it. They're really the only company with the resources for it right now if nothing else, and despite their disclaimer everything they send C&Ds for eventually gets licensed. By them.

Let the rampant speculation begin! I guess.
Insert Block of Text here.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:48 pm

It appears that FUNimation is not confirming that they have the rights to distribute the film... The easiest way to tell if they may is if they own the rights to any of the other anime listed (Soul Eater, Spice + Wolf, Mushi-Uta, and My Bride is a Mermaid!).

GAINAX is perfectly fine with fansubs. As I've said several times before, Gainax's president Hiroyuki Yamaga encouraged TTGL fans to download fansubs and buy the DVDs when they come out if they like the show.

This means that either Anno/Khara doesn't want fansubs released or that FUNimation will probably own the rights. Which sounds great to me, as FUNimation has done recent limited theatrical releases (FMA, for example).

Also, they're right here in Fort Worth. That means I can visit them and yell at them for not doing the dub right.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Furu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Furu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:55 pm

NAveryW wrote:It appears that FUNimation is not confirming that they have the rights to distribute the film... The easiest way to tell if they may is if they own the rights to any of the other anime listed (Soul Eater, Spice + Wolf, Mushi-Uta, and My Bride is a Mermaid!).

We don't know if they do or not yet, but Funi has done this in the past with a few shows and they eventually grabbed them up with the possible exception of Reborn.

As for the dub Funi tends to get the original dub casts when they pick up a sequel or continuation of another studio's property (Tenchi Muyo, Full Metal Panic) soooo...
Insert Block of Text here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:56 pm

NAveryW wrote:GAINAX is perfectly fine with fansubs.

Rebuild isn't made by Gainax.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:50 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205578#205578

Yes.,

I've wanted to do that for a while.

Anyway, it's NTV that are saying 'No'.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:50 pm

That wasn't exactly the best place to post the info, Dartz. :tongueflap:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm

According to this month's Anime Insider, they think that Funimation will most likely get Rebuild compared to the other companies out there. I hope 1.0 will be released sometime next year if that's really the case.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Reichu wrote:
NAveryW wrote:GAINAX is perfectly fine with fansubs.

Rebuild isn't made by Gainax.
Read the rest of my statement.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:06 pm

Then why'd you mention them at all? ;p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:08 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:According to this month's Anime Insider, they think that Funimation will most likely get Rebuild compared to the other companies out there. I hope 1.0 will be released sometime next year if that's really the case.
'

Issue/page?

Well its a good thing that we've had Fansubs for SIX MONTHS TO A YEAR AT THIS POINT. Seriously, talk about slamming the barn door shut after the horse has bolted.

but FUNimation? well they're the biggest company now; it's 1-FUNimation, 2-Viz, 3-ADV

well, it would be a step up from Manga Entertainment

frankly, if ADV had any sense they've have bet the farm on Rebuild

Anime Insider was talking about this, eh?

They'd be fools not to get the original iconic voice cast back; even Manga Entertainment did that.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:52 pm

This month's http://www.wizarduniverse.com/aninmagsub.html

Google is your friend
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Reichu wrote:Then why'd you mention them at all? ;p
"Completionism". Basically, GAINAX would still have the right to ask for cease and desistuffs, so I mentioned them.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 pm

V wrote:They'd be fools not to get the original iconic voice cast back; even Manga Entertainment did that.

Iconic? Really? They may be iconic to those fans that were initially exposed to Eva by watching those dubs by ADV, but to everyone else those dubs are just horrendous by todays standards.

In fact last time i checked didn't many of those VAs that lent their voices for the english dub move on to other things outside of voice acting?

I think this would be a good time to use other dub actors, since this is a Restart-a reboot of Evangelion. Its called Rebuild of Evangelion for a reason....

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:Iconic? Really? They may be iconic to those fans that were initially exposed to Eva by watching those dubs by ADV, but to everyone else those dubs are just horrendous by todays standards.

Translation inaccuracies and commentary jackassery aside, I like the dub. Is it because that's how I first saw it? Probably. I know that the dub has had more influence on my understanding of the show that the subtitles... and to be perfectly honest I don't care. I'm not an elitist, I'm just happy with the version I watched, megabitch Asuka and whiner Shinji included.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:35 pm

I was never the greatest fan of it subbed... mostly because some off the voices seemed a bit too shrill. I don't know. I prefer Tiffany Grant to Yuko Mimura anyway, because her voice is a bit more rounded and a little rougher.

that, and I like to watch the story, not read it.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Dartz wrote:that, and I like to watch the story, not read it.

:halo:

I hear that all the time, but it's really not accurate. If you watch things subtitled frequently you learn to cope with the subtitles very quickly. Most films I watch are foreign and I watch all my anime subtitled, and its hard to remember when they were a hurdle for me. With experience the viewer learns to watch the show and read the translation without missing anything.

I prefer the original cast, of course, not only because I have a preference for the subs, but because I think it's better acted. The dub is bearable...it's not close to the most horrible thing I've heard, but every time I hear Spike Spencer scream in EoE I chuckle, and Tiffany Grant just seems annoying to me (and I don't think she comes anywhere close to what Miyamura accomplishes in EoE, which is pretty amazing). On the positives, she tries to speak German, rather than Gelman.

But all that aside, I watch the original version simply because it's the original version. I like seeing something presented as close to how it was originally crafted, and the closest to the vision of the creators, as possible. There's still a barrier when subtitles are used, but I think it's minimised and a more direct translation is presented as opposed to dubs.

For the record I saw the dub first, but not the whole way through the series.

This debate has probably been done to death and I'm probably not helping matters.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Speed reading is an all around useful skill to acquire anyway -- the utility in watching subtitles media is an added bonus.

Though what this has to do with C&D notices long after Dobbin has vanished over the horizon, I fail to see.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:12 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Speed reading is an all around useful skill to acquire anyway -- the utility in watching subtitles media is an added bonus.

Though what this has to do with C&D notices long after Dobbin has vanished over the horizon, I fail to see.

true enough..... It seems that we've gone slightly off-topic. Meh.
I still think that the english dubs for eva are horrendous. Heck I've seen fandubs that work better.

In fact much of the english voice acting down for characters like Misato and Shinji are just so off key. At times you could tell that the english actress for Misato was struggling to keep her voice shrill and on key, often failing miserably with some really annoying squeals (which i think were unintended in the first place).

Mind you, I have nothing against dubs, i just want good acting, dub or no dub. Great examples of superb english dubs include the Full Metal Panic series as well as Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

Now those are good dubs with great voice acting! Especially the dubs with Full Metal Panic. It brings their own energy and even emulates very very closely to what the Japanese voices sounded like.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:48 pm

If you people need to do the subs vs. dubs thing, just add onto this thread instead of derailing this one. (Because, admit it, it's impossible to bring up anything dub-related without initiating the usual trail of tired rhetoric we all eventually hear sometime, somewhere, and then go on to hear another hundred times.) Further derailment will be deleted.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 pm

^ Sorry 'bout that. Just got a bit carried away.... :grin:

Carry on with the original purpose of this topic.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”