What Do You Think Rebuild will have?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Omg... I thought I was the only one that felt that way...

I'm more of the Shinji looking for an Asuka. I'm not as bad as Shinji though...

There were times I got depressed from Eva, but I that you should live no matter how many times you get kicked down. I plan to be a writer and artist some day and Gainax really showed me that anime can still be better. Other than that giood stuff, Eva has annoyed me and made me mad sometimes. Mostly, with what happened to Rei in the end. And also that no one has created an anime that would be better than Eva. The reason is because how Anno says that there is a stagnation in anime. I wish someone would prove him wrong.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:56 pm

The Goose wrote:
Omg... I thought I was the only one that felt that way...

I'm more of the Shinji looking for an Asuka. I'm not as bad as Shinji though...

There were times I got depressed from Eva, but I that you should live no matter how many times you get kicked down. I plan to be a writer and artist some day and Gainax really showed me that anime can still be better. Other than that giood stuff, Eva has annoyed me and made me mad sometimes. Mostly, with what happened to Rei in the end. And also that no one has created an anime that would be better than Eva. The reason is because how Anno says that there is a stagnation in anime. I wish someone would prove him wrong.

I'm still trying to get over the whole Asuka getting slaughtered thing lol!

Anyways... yea Eva has changed me, good way, and I'm beginning to like this new path I've chosen. Weird huh?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Sadly I also believe that there is a certain stagnation in anime because after watching EVA, cowboy bebop, flcl, I couldn't really get into other shows. They just felt...lacking in something. So I guess you can say that my three fav animes spoiled me.

I share the same sentiment as The Goose, I hope someone would create a work that would break out of the norm and give us something jawdropping. And by jawdropping, I don't mean fancy animation as there are a lot of animes with good animation, but with good storytelling, deep multifaceted characters and blah.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't think it's being "soulless" to not become emotional over End of Evangelion. In all honesty, I've seen some of the worst things you can imagine, yet EVA of all things got to me. Not because Asuka was pretty much brutally eaten by a bunch of huge living robots operated by dummy plugs from a now physically dead character that was only in one episode yet is the center of all yaoi fandom, that magically appears out of nowhere to calm down a screaming almost to the point of insanity-fied Shinji before basically cramming all of humanity into one entity, then deciding that's not what you want and return to a beach next to a girl you thought was dead and seeing the cross nailed into the stake that was shown floating away in the LCL...

Because it went somewhere that no other show has gone. It hit close to home to all of us that... to say it bluntly, are really fucked up. It was something that could not really be fully understood unless you went through similar issues... the movie felt alive.

I think a lot of people (Not saying this about you Anonymous) lack the intelligence, also the mental mindset to understand it. They say "omgz that was so messed up, i waz all werid after taht". But I don't think they fully understand why it really does effect some of us very vividly. I can honestly say EVA did change my life, some people would think that's sad. However, I think it's sad they cannot understand why it did.

Just as Tines said, if it can have that same impact, it will do well.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Sadly I also believe that there is a certain stagnation in anime because after watching EVA, cowboy bebop, flcl, I couldn't really get into other shows. They just felt...lacking in something. So I guess you can say that my three fav animes spoiled me.

I share the same sentiment as The Goose, I hope someone would create a work that would break out of the norm and give us something jawdropping. And by jawdropping, I don't mean fancy animation as there are a lot of animes with good animation, but with good storytelling, deep multifaceted characters and blah.

It's not EVA, but watch Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo it is by far the best anime I have watched since EVA. It's very refreshing show, I've never seen any anime like it before.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:05 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Hmm, I wonder if I fit in the soulless category.

You might say that; I could not possibly comment.

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Sadly I also believe that there is a certain stagnation in anime because after watching EVA, cowboy bebop, flcl, I couldn't really get into other shows.

NGE was about the 3rd anime title I watched, and for all the effect it had, that still hasn't stopped my enjoyment of other series. You do have to be selective and winnow out the chaff.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tokpile Quohog

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:09 pm

Millions Livio wrote:It's not EVA, but watch Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo it is by far the best anime I have watched since EVA. It's very refreshing show, I've never seen any anime like it before.

I'll definitely look into it, as in I'll "convince" my friend to buy the series so I can borrow it for an extended period of time.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:winnow out the chaff.

Uhhhhh.... what?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:14 pm

NAveryW wrote:

Uhhhhh.... what?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/winnow
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:
Millions Livio wrote:It's not EVA, but watch Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo it is by far the best anime I have watched since EVA. It's very refreshing show, I've never seen any anime like it before.

I'll definitely look into it, as in I'll "convince" my friend to buy the series so I can borrow it for an extended period of time.

Or you could just download it like I did. Nonetheless let me warn you this show is very sopthisticated, there really isn't muck "action" until towards the end. That is why I love it however; great plot, great mood, great music, it's very original.

NAveryW wrote:

Uhhhhh.... what?

Hint: Use context clues...

Tokpile Quohog

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I would download it, but the internet in the dormitories crack down on torrents. Hmm....I guess I could download it the next time I go home.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:I would download it, but the internet in the dormitories crack down on torrents. Hmm....I guess I could download it the next time I go home.
There's ways around that, just have to look. The series is worth buying the DVD's of, if you've got no other way though.

Tokpile Quohog

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Millions Livio wrote:
Tokpile Quohog wrote:I would download it, but the internet in the dormitories crack down on torrents. Hmm....I guess I could download it the next time I go home.
There's ways around that, just have to look. The series is worth buying the DVD's of, if you've got no other way though.

Hahaha, who buys anime nowadays?? I kid, illegally obtaining anime is just wrong and just because everyone does not make it right. :twisted:
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:04 pm

Am I the only Eva fan who has enjoyed Utena (tv series) in almost the same proportion?

I can't believe the animé stagnation argument. What do you all mean? There were lots of very innovative animé lately. Kemonozume, the Haruhi, Death Note, Yamato Nadeshiko 7 Henge, Monster...
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Am I the only Eva fan who has enjoyed Utena (tv series) in almost the same proportion?

No. Utena is seriously legendary -- it really is the shoujo counterpart of NGE -- it just lacks the controversy and a company that survives by milking it.

Our lists also overlap on Kemonozume.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Utena was pretty cool, my only complaint was that, save for one episode, she never fucking loses...ever. There's no tension, whereas at least with Eva you really couldn't predict what was going to happen next. But the Black Rose arc was one of the best in anime.

EoE was pretty comprehensible, but the whole of the Utena movie was batshit insane.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:Utena was pretty cool, my only complaint was that, save for one episode, she never fucking loses...ever. There's no tension, whereas at least with Eva you really couldn't predict what was going to happen next. But the Black Rose arc was one of the best in anime.

EoE was pretty comprehensible, but the whole of the Utena movie was batshit insane.

The movie was a crazy retelling of a small chunk of the series. I had actually watched the movie before the series and thought it was pretty weird, especially the car bit at the end.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:
Millions Livio wrote:

Hahaha, who buys anime nowadays?? I kid, illegally obtaining anime is just wrong and just because everyone does not make it right. :twisted:
I sure as hell don't; I haven't paid for software, games, movies, anime, or the like in over seven years....

As for Utena I haven't seen it yet, but I'm getting it as we speak.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Millions Livio wrote:I don't think it's being "soulless" to not become emotional over End of Evangelion. In all honesty, I've seen some of the worst things you can imagine, yet EVA of all things got to me. Not because Asuka was pretty much brutally eaten by a bunch of huge living robots operated by dummy plugs from a now physically dead character that was only in one episode yet is the center of all yaoi fandom, that magically appears out of nowhere to calm down a screaming almost to the point of insanity-fied Shinji before basically cramming all of humanity into one entity, then deciding that's not what you want and return to a beach next to a girl you thought was dead and seeing the cross nailed into the stake that was shown floating away in the LCL...

Because it went somewhere that no other show has gone. It hit close to home to all of us that... to say it bluntly, are really fucked up. It was something that could not really be fully understood unless you went through similar issues... the movie felt alive.

I think a lot of people (Not saying this about you Anonymous) lack the intelligence, also the mental mindset to understand it. They say "omgz that was so messed up, i waz all werid after taht". But I don't think they fully understand why it really does effect some of us very vividly. I can honestly say EVA did change my life, some people would think that's sad. However, I think it's sad they cannot understand why it did.

Just as Tines said, if it can have that same impact, it will do well.

My new hero <3

Anyways, so what would you guys recommend next? Something like Eva, that makes you think throughout the plot.

I just got Gunslinger Girls, seems like an interesting series.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:16 pm

I believe that the duels in Utena are not important because of who won or who lost. They're like the definition of each story, how the pieces end up arranged.

I really loved the Sayonji and Wakaba story. And all those fillers, like Nanami's Cowbell, or Chu-chu the creepy inmortal, were just great.

And I became a big fan of J.A. Seazer's music for this series. Not only the duel songs but I also got some other type of electronic adaptations of those songs which I completely love. That Gentochouga 16 seiki or something song is one of my all time favourites.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”