WTF? AAA Wunder construction date

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
rangure0412
Embryo

WTF? AAA Wunder construction date

•      
  •      

Postby rangure0412 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 am

In English:

Buße

Keel Laid June 21. 11805

Special Authority NERV

Lead Ship of the Guardians Of Guf Class
-----
Not in 1.11 we see the year is 2015?

My only theory is the date corresponds to a Seele special calendar. The year don't corresponds to any other know calendar:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/103 ... calendars/

Maybe counting when Seele monoliths arrive to the earth?

Any theory/idea?

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: WTF? AAA Wunder construction date

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:01 am

This is totally going to be used as ammunition by the peggy sue loopers, you know that?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 am

At the beginning I though it could be related to the loops, but maybe it's just a different calendar.

rangure0412
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rangure0412 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:This is totally going to be used as ammunition by the peggy sue loopers, you know that?

You have a point. But also doesn't make sense that Nerv is aware of this. Imagine the Seele and Gendo reaction of their plan failing over and over for more of 9000 years.

N1CK0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby N1CK0 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:08 am

There is a type of calendar called Holocene Calendar which uses for year zero the first human settlements. It is identical to the Gregorian calendar but one adds 10000 years.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar#:~:text=The%20Holocene%20calendar%2C%20also%20known,the%20Neolithic%20Revolution%2C%20when%20humans
However, this would mean that the ship has been finished in the XIX century... maybe it was a "normal" ship once?

Semi-Evolved
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Semi-Evolved » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:32 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:This is totally going to be used as ammunition by the peggy sue loopers, you know that?

Repeatedly calling people peggy sues doesn't make your point any stronger or their arguments any weaker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:22 am

View Original PostN1CK0 wrote:There is a type of calendar called Holocene Calendar which uses for year zero the first human settlements. It is identical to the Gregorian calendar but one adds 10000 years.

I had completely forgotten the existence of this calendar. I think you're right.
This "strange" dating is also observed in Yui's grave in 2.0.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

pir2confusion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pir2confusion » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:23 am

You can see that the date on the construction of the train turntable is 12001 which means it was built some hundred years after the wunder.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:56 am

View Original Postpir2confusion wrote:You can see that the date on the construction of the train turntable is 12001 which means it was built some hundred years after the wunder.

This means it was constructed by some secret society, a group of humans that was in direct contact with Seele and obtained advanced technology from them (this is consistent with the final exchange between Gendo and Seele in Q, just before Fourth Impact begins).

Everyone else was rocking steam engines and horse carriages!

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 am

At the time, it was a steampunk Wunder. :D

pir2confusion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pir2confusion » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:23 am

Is this based on a real ship or is supposed to be space battleship yamato we dredged up an old ship and built our ship out of it?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:48 pm

Yeah, the five digit date was also on Yui's grave, although the first number was obscured. Knowing Anno, I'm confident that it's a reference to something esoteric, but what exactly it is I have no idea
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:01 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Yeah, the five digit date was also on Yui's grave, although the first number was obscured. Knowing Anno, I'm confident that it's a reference to something esoteric, but what exactly it is I have no idea

Wasn't it six digits? -02004, with the first digit unreadable.

Belllerophon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Belllerophon » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:28 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:
View Original Postpir2confusion#928899 wrote:You can see that the date on the construction of the train turntable is 12001 which means it was built some hundred years after the wunder.

This means it was constructed by some secret society, a group of humans that was in direct contact with Seele and obtained advanced technology from them (this is consistent with the final exchange between Gendo and Seele in Q, just before Fourth Impact begins).

Everyone else was rocking steam engines and horse carriages!

The Keel was laid in the 1800s, but keep in mind that she wasn't complete when WILLE stole her. People back then just got a bit ambitious with what the scrolls told them to do and started prep-work and laying metal early.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:25 am

View Original PostBelllerophon wrote:The Keel was laid in the 1800s, but keep in mind that she wasn't complete when WILLE stole her. People back then just got a bit ambitious with what the scrolls told them to do and started prep-work and laying metal early.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

But I think the ships weren't built from scratch; they definitely have a "not of this world" component underneath. The way Mari refers to them as "Adams". They way you can use their spine to literally "roll your own" holy spear, much like if using material from the black moon. Their capacity to project a halo (incidenly, the Nerv ships consistently show a bluish/purplish halo, while the Wunder has a pure white one... hmmm).

Instead, think they retrofitted/upgraded some base, angelic/Adamic (is this a word?) entity, much like e.g. the Mark.06 / Eva-01 / Eva-13.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:03 am

it's a fairly common theme in sci fi anime that the Ship is in some way of ancient contruction or recovered technology:

Yamato- the series takes place in 2199 (so the ship's about 260 years old then), it's wreck is exposed by the Gamilas attack dissipating the oceans and it's fitted to fly with the engine and wave motion cannon with tech sent from Iscandar
Macross- the SDF Macross is of *alien* origin and crash lands on Earth
Ideon- the Solo Ship and the Ideon are excavated and are what remains of the Solo/6th civilization
Nadia- the Nautilus and New Nautilus are Atlantean starships

Kiel-laying refers to the traditional start of each SEELE meeting where they'd all
pick up Chairman Kiel and lay him horizontally on the floor.

Joking aside, in planning schemes and designations for Imperial German ships
improved versions of a particular design I think are marked with a Greek α,
(from the designs of the last planned class of German battleships in WW1 'the L 20e
and L 24e designs were refined into the L 20e α and L 24e α versions')
which seems to be the origin of 02 being called New 02 α after it's rebuilt
with JA-2 parts.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:13 am

View Original PostLacissal wrote:it's a fairly common theme in sci fi anime that the Ship is in some way of ancient contruction or recovered technology:

Yamato- the series takes place in 2199 (so the ship's about 260 years old then), it's wreck is exposed by the Gamilas attack dissipating the oceans and it's fitted to fly with the engine and wave motion cannon with tech sent from Iscandar
Macross- the SDF Macross is of *alien* origin and crash lands on Earth
Ideon- the Solo Ship and the Ideon are excavated and are what remains of the Solo/6th civilization
Nadia- the Nautilus and New Nautilus are Atlantean starships

That's right!

View Original PostLacissal wrote:Kiel-laying refers to the traditional start of each SEELE meeting where they'd all
pick up Chairman Kiel and lay him horizontally on the floor.

I can hear him saying "Good; Everything's good now."

View Original PostLacissal wrote:Joking aside, in planning schemes and designations for Imperial German ships
improved versions of a particular design I think are marked with a Greek α,
(from the designs of the last planned class of German battleships in WW1 'the L 20e
and L 24e designs were refined into the L 20e α and L 24e α versions')
which seems to be the origin of 02 being called New 02 α after it's rebuilt
with JA-2 parts.

And the Mark.09A reminds me of the "Enterprise A" after the original Enterprise is destroyed. Although there is some debate as to whether the first Adams Vessel was rebuilt from scratch (assuming it the vessels are human-made) or salvaged after Q. Misato uses the the verb 新造 shinzō(literally, "to build anew") in the phrase "パイロットごと新造したのか" ("did they build it anew, pilot and all?"). But Mari uses the exact same word when refering to modifying Eva-02 with the new parts retrieved from Nerv-02...

Belllerophon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Belllerophon » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:29 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:But I think the ships weren't built from scratch; they definitely have a "not of this world" component underneath. The way Mari refers to them as "Adams". They way you can use their spine to literally "roll your own" holy spear, much like if using material from the black moon. Their capacity to project a halo (incidenly, the Nerv ships consistently show a bluish/purplish halo, while the Wunder has a pure white one... hmmm).

Instead, think they retrofitted/upgraded some base, angelic/Adamic (is this a word?) entity, much like e.g. the Mark.06 / Eva-01 / Eva-13.

Oh yeah, the most common theory is that each of them incorporates elements of one of the four guardian Adams' each, at the very least the spine, thus able to generate their wings and perform their role, etc. But the Adams' didn't get blasted until recently, so it may just be that 1800s Selle started building and getting the hull ready to lay the Adams' into when they did find them.

Alternatively, in rebuild, they found them a few hundred years ago and ripped their spines out but didn't actually awaken them until Second Impact.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:28 am

I'm not confident that the Ships are just "parts" of the Adams. I don't think Mari would call them "Adams" if they weren't the complete "Adams". At first, I though that the Adams used for Wunder was discovered in the 1800s, but that would contradict the events of the Second Impact, just like others already said.

Btw, I decided to rewatch that scene with Yui's grave and there is something weird with the date:

If the grave is indeed using the Holocene Calendar, shouldn't the year be 12004? Because there's a "0" before the "2".

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 pm

the thing about the NHG classes being Adams is.... depending on if you think Jo starts in 12014 or 102014, there is either a 200 year or a 90k year gap between the date of commission for the ships and second impact, which would be the first time anyone could get their hands on the matter of the four Adams. They are definitely connected in some shape, no question there, but the time gap is a bit too significant for either of these that the main body of the ship is just an Adam 1:1
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”