Shin Eva General: Reborn

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Eva General: Reborn

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:39 pm

Axx°N N. wrote: I appreciate your posts Zusuchan, I hope you don't feel I skimp on considering your viewpoint.

I wasn't talking about you, but how even if I were to hypothetically be attempting to stifle non-positive discussion, I certainly wouldn't be succeeding. I'm pretty sure you engage with my viewpoints, so I have nothing bad to say to you about that.

I get what you mean with the rest and don't have any real disagreement there. Idk, I've always just been someone who prefers the work to the discussion of the work and I find it slightly baffling whenever people tend to think the discussion, sprinkled with a couple ounces of knowledge, is just as much a way into the work as, well, the work itself. I know you once said you're willing to have your view changed, but I have seen people on EGF really sure about their ideas and I find it to be something I dislike due to the connotations this behavior brings with itself.

About "V for Vendetta"-cool, I understand.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm

I was just thinking "Holy shit this is it, this is all we're gonna get, this is all Anno has left in him, nothing can conceivable be canon after this, everything else will just be a pipe dream" It sucks that we'll never get to see him head back to the original continuity.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Idk, I've always just been someone who prefers the work to the discussion of the work and I find it slightly baffling whenever people tend to think the discussion, sprinkled with a couple ounces of knowledge, is just as much a way into the work as, well, the work itself.

I'm kind of two minds about it. I've debated and analyzed films at length before only to then watch or rewatch said films and feel a total divorce from what all that talk consisted of, as if the visceral experience of watching the film was in a totally different language, even when said analysis was 'right' compared to how I took the film in emotionally. I really enjoy analysis but it's for its own sake, not necessarily as replacement or even nearing replacement for that special relationship one has as a viewer to the film.
Après moi le déluge!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 am

I said something kind of dumb upthread about Asuka maybe punching Shinji in Q out of some sort of jealousy that he got to live through the previous 14 years more or less unscathed. I forgot that there's actually a line of dialogue about this in the movie!

Paraphrased from memory:

Asuka: "Do you know why I tried to punch you when you came back?"
Shinji: "Because I didn't do anything all that time ago. I couldn't save you. Or kill you."
Asuka: "Guess you figured it out."

The scene takes place right before Asuka and Mari set out in Neo-Unit 02 and Unit 08 to destroy Unit 13. Which, by the way, they expose by firing missiles boosted by fucking Russian N1 rockets!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 am

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:51 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:

I was talking with Director Tsurumaki Kazuya a little earlier... Asuka's just such a lovable character. I'm still a little nervous about what's going on between Asuka and Ken-ken.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:56 am

I thought he was talking about Tsurumaki being anxious?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 am

Could be. There's no subject in the second sentence so I don't know if he's talking about himself or Tsurumaki. If there are other interviews where Tsurumaki talks about being nervous, I could see it panning out.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:14 am

Potentially. We know he's an Asuka fan so he's there along with Miyamura in being seemingly unsatisfied at her fate.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:35 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I was just thinking "Holy shit this is it, this is all we're gonna get, this is all Anno has left in him, nothing can conceivable be canon after this, everything else will just be a pipe dream" It sucks that we'll never get to see him head back to the original continuity.

Who knows what Anno going to do next with Evangelion franchise. He might just come back, whether of him having a sudden idea in the middle of his work doing other project or after finishing ones, or just as a cashcow .
Back then EoE was like the last one, even had the One More Final part.
Yea...

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:55 am

Is in Shin a scene where you see Kaworu as a corpse/ghost?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 am

Shinji has a talk with ghost/tulpa Kaworu -- that scene was in one of the pre-release trailers. Then yesterday Yamashita tweeted

Yamashita as translated by Nuke-kun wrote:In Shin Evangelion, this is what's actually inside the reactivated Unit 13's entry plug. Inside the LCL, the remains of what used to be him are floating about. Even with his soul gone, his body was reconstructed to allow Unit 13 to move, and his fingers sometimes flutter on the control keys.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Shinji has a talk with ghost/tulpa Kaworu -- that scene was in one of the pre-release trailers. Then yesterday Yamashita tweeted

View Original PostYamashita as translated by Nuke-kun wrote:In Shin Evangelion, this is what's actually inside the reactivated Unit 13's entry plug. Inside the LCL, the remains of what used to be him are floating about. Even with his soul gone, his body was reconstructed to allow Unit 13 to move, and his fingers sometimes flutter on the control keys.

>Yamashita just publicly posting straight-up exposition
Vvovv.

Is this setup actually shown in the film?
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:19 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Shinji has a talk with ghost/tulpa Kaworu -- that scene was in one of the pre-release trailers. Then yesterday Yamashita tweeted

I think there is a confussion:

Ghost/Tulpa Kaworu would be his soul, that seems to be trapped in Eva-13.

Zombie Kaworu is his dead body (without a soul), who pilots Eva-13 in 3.0+1.0. It should be similar to the souless Rei clones

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Is this setup actually shown in the film?

I read there is a blink-and-you-miss-it moment where you can see Zombie Kaworu.

However, we can't really confirm this until we have the Blu-ray.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Potentially. We know he's an Asuka fan so he's there along with Miyamura in being seemingly unsatisfied at her fate.

Well, I think one of the lines in the sand drawn during the Great Inaugural Waifu Wars was that Soryu wasn't a clone like Rei was. Shikinami takes that line drawn in the sand away from the Asuka fan boys. I guess it seems reasonable to be weary of Kensuke's involvement with Asuka as well, but everything we've seen so far tends to paint him as a father/mentor character to Asuka.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Zombie Kaworu is his dead body (without a soul), who pilots Eva-13 in 3.0+1.0. It should be similar to the souless Rei clones.

I thought the Advanced Ayanami Series had "sexless pure souls" whatever in the world that means.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, I think one of the lines in the sand drawn during the Great Inaugural Waifu Wars was that Soryu wasn't a clone like Rei was. Shikinami takes that line drawn in the sand away from the Asuka fan boys. I guess it seems reasonable to be weary of Kensuke's involvement with Asuka as well, but everything we've seen so far tends to paint him as a father/mentor character to Asuka.

To be fair, Rei is the clone of Shinji's mother. That line is still pretty present for the Waifu Wars.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 am

I mean, if you're trying to ship Shinji, then yeah. I was never sure of the Best Girl/Waifu Wars were trying to pick out a girl for Shinji, or to pick a girl for themselves. If the latter is the case, then Shinji's mom really doesn't come into play here.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 am

The current box for 3.0+1.0 is ¥7.42 billion.

This means that the Domestic (Japanese) Box Office of 3.0+1.0 has already surpassed the Worldwide Box Office of the other Rebuild movies.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, I think one of the lines in the sand drawn during the Great Inaugural Waifu Wars was that Soryu wasn't a clone like Rei was. Shikinami takes that line drawn in the sand away from the Asuka fan boys.

Well, there is a huge difference between a "fan" and a "fanboy". As a fan, I like the character for who she is. I identify with her on a fundamental level and have fun while watching her ups and downs. It's all about what is narratively interesting. Fanboys, on the other hand, tend to idealize their favorite characters (injecting their own conceptions into these fictional personas). In most cases, Soryu's fanboys don't even like Shikinami (as they think she's tainting the original character's legacy). It's the same with Ayanami fanatics who do not accept Rei Q's existence. Anyway, Tsurumaki is an Asuka fan. However, I'm not sure if he's a fanboy. I mean, we're talking about his job. It's hard to picture him engaging in the antics of "waifu wars" hahaha.

As for the differences between Soryu and Shikinami, I read a very interesting interview with Miss. Miyamura today. There is a lot of intriguing stuff in it! You can truly feel the love she has for the character! Anyway, she commented on considering Soryu and Shikinami completely distinct characters and how that shaped her performance. In retrospective, I completely agree with her! The two versions are different takes on the same idea. You can't expect one to follow in the other's footsteps. Likewise, one will not erase the other.
Here is the interview: https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1617977506
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”