Shin Eva General: Reborn

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
rilocay
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva General: Reborn

•      
  •      

Postby rilocay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:15 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostWhitetiger739 wrote:
[spoiler]
Link to the screenshot if not working:https://i.imgur.com/2Aet6Kf.png Image

What was I showing? I was just asking anyone from the recent Trailer B - where Asuka meets her original clone before Eva-13 scene and removal of her eyepatch - if that's the original clone or Soryu as some people think that since the debate on who's the original clone is still heated and that's where I'm figuring out too. Then Nuclear Lunchbox, one of the firsthand audience of Shineva, replied his thoughts which makes a lot of sense since the clones were developed as part of Gendo/SEELE's plan and I agreed that there shouldn't have any Soryu physically appeared/mentioned throughout NTE.

There's no real inclination to say Soryu is the original sample, and to be fair there's nothing really against it - outside of these films seem to be seperate timelines completely (with lots of throwbacks to nge).

Asuka get's rid of her eyepatch herself to summon the angel form you see in that last trailer. I'm also quite sure those two cuts of Asuka "meeting her clone" are seperate cuts from two completely seperate scenes (my last screening was 2 weeks back so could be hazy, though). If it's the same scene it may be implying the angel that had originally invaded her back in 2.0 taking her appearance. I really need to rewatch though.
The main reference we have of the Asuka series in visual form is a flashback to when she's young and in a Rei like group of tubes, and the whole Unit 2 battle simulation (that seems to be an eoe throwback).

Please do not quote entire posts, but only the ones most relevant to what you're going to say. Thank you.
-Zusuchan

Lickitung
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lickitung » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 pm

that image does not correspond to the near third impact, it probably corresponds to the third that occurred some time later, ritsuk.o has wille's handkerchief and behind is the wunder already built. but why?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:24 am

View Original PostLickitung wrote:

that image does not correspond to the near third impact, it probably corresponds to the third that occurred some time later, ritsuk.o has wille's handkerchief and behind is the wunder already built. but why?

I believe this was not NTI but actual TI, which Kaji sacrificed himself to stop, and that this is from the scene where Kaji gets onto the VTOL that we later see crashed in Lilith's chamber during the climax of Q. (That's what I remember from the film, and I believe discussion has occurred to that effect.) I think people have discussed the blue handkerchiefs being used as some way to identify ex-NERV staff who align themselves with WILLE. As to why the Wunder is built, great question, I don't know.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Not sure if anyone posted this (or maybe what the correct topic is) but there is an art exhibition in Akihabara displaying the story boards, concept art, etc for the theatrical series.

Youtube video is here

I think I'm gonna check it out
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:34 am

Can somebody PLEASE help me out to get why all of the character names were changed with things that, being a non English speaking born person , I find hard to get ahahhaha old tin copy rust stuff :D
Who is who and why this name changes’ choice?
Thanks to anyone who’ll help me out with this
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:40 am

^
See here

Some more leakage, via circuitous routes

Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:13 am

They look old enough to remember this tho, unless fake memories were involved.

She gave no impression of knowing this back in 2.0 - bringing boxes of stuff,

I suppose she was very fixated on EVA 02 as the 'only place she belongs' and had this lines about how she was "chosen because she was good" but not more so than her series counterpart/ than could have been explained by regular human perfectionism.

Plus later in the flashback she's crying about her parents "not being here" like she was told she's an orphan.

Im getting flashbacks to that one animated britneys spears music video...

Also I#d really want to read what's on those screens.

EDIT:
Judging from the script, it's hard to picture where this shot comes in:
And I still really want to know.
Is this a flashback when ReiQ is contemplating that she can't live away from NERV?
Or is that Fuyu booting up the new clone for the new Mk. 9?

Is there some implication that they couldn't start the operation until ReiQ popped so they could collect her soul fragment in a new vessel?
Though they never really expressed any sort of soul rule like in the OG series; It seems reasonable to assumethat here they can just make as many as they want.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:52 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:EDIT:
Judging from the script, it's hard to picture where this shot comes in:
And I still really want to know.
Is this a flashback when ReiQ is contemplating that she can't live away from NERV?
Or is that Fuyu booting up the new clone for the new Mk. 9?

Is there some implication that they couldn't start the operation until ReiQ popped so they could collect her soul fragment in a new vessel?
Though they never really expressed any sort of soul rule like in the OG series; It seems reasonable to assumethat here they can just make as many as they want.

This is where they talk about the advanced Ayanami series. It seems that they are genderless pure souls from Fuyutsuki's speech about them.

I'm gonna quote from the leaked translated script below but I was watching some Japanese Eva lore youtube video about it and it makes more sense in Japanese

Fuyutsuki: The restoration of the Black Moon, considered vital for the Fourth Impact.
As well as the Adams' vessels to be sacrificed, and the immaculate life-form, made only of the pure sexless soul(s), the rebirth of the Advanced Ayanami Series; the Humanity Instrumentality Project such that humans can bring salvation to humans.
This is where that arrogance has led us.

There's also this cool shot of them naked but they are posed like statues during this interlude.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:They look old enough to remember this tho, unless fake memories were involved.

She gave no impression of knowing this back in 2.0 - bringing boxes of stuff,

I suppose she was very fixated on EVA 02 as the 'only place she belongs' and had this lines about how she was "chosen because she was good" but not more so than her series counterpart/ than could have been explained by regular human perfectionism.

Plus later in the flashback she's crying about her parents "not being here" like she was told she's an orphan.

Who's to say they didn't make loads of Asukas and grow them up over the years? Remember, Rei I started out as a five-year old, but Rei II picked up where she left off. I know NTE and NGE don't necessarily play by the same rules, but maybe there's room for fanwank that when one Asuka 'fails', they load her personality into the next one and keep going.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:56 am

The idea seems to have been somewhat different with the Shikinami types though, making them all compete & stuff to select the best possible soldier. (or the one who best followed the programmed behavior?)
So I don't see why you'd 'reuse' the memories of a failed one.
Though fake memories are of course an answer.
Or maybe she just "doesn't remember much of her early childhood", many non-clone people do.

You'd think they'd keep at least the best few in store as replacements though. Then again, that might've been exactly what they did with the one who shows up in EVA 13.

I imagine 'our' Asuka found out during the timeskip when she was already dealing with the repercussions of the angel transformation and it really did a number on her.

You don't really see it so much in Q (apart from the one outburst) because she's more or less doing useful stuff & actively fighting back, but it makes sense that being stranded near the village would get her general frustration with the situation to the surface...

View Original PostPluto wrote:
There's also this cool shot of them naked but they are posed like statues during this interlude.

That seems fascinating (& like it's eerie as hell)
From that look on their faces, they sure seem to 'enjoy' their existences.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am

Yeah, that's interesting. At the moment, I have the impression that several Shikinamis were raised at the same time, instead of individually. In other words, they were pitch against each other to see who would survive, or something. That makes sense considering Nerv's time frame between the Second Impact and HA, right? That said, I don't think they were aware of it themselves. Anyway, this is nothing more than speculation.
I wonder when this shot appears in the movie. Is it during Asuka's instrumentality sequence (near that other scene which involves dead clones)?
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Whitetiger739
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Whitetiger739 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original PostKendrix#918618 wrote:They look old enough to remember this tho, unless fake memories were involved.

Who's to say they didn't make loads of Asukas and grow them up over the years? Remember, Rei I started out as a five-year old, but Rei II picked up where she left off. I know NTE and NGE don't necessarily play by the same rules, but maybe there's room for fanwank that when one Asuka 'fails', they load her personality into the next one and keep going.

Back to the Unit-13 scene in Shin Eva, Could Shikinami possessed the memories of the original clones/failed clones, or that's just separate memories between both of them? Some people assumed that the Asuka that got stored in Unit-13 is Shikinami's soul from Unit-3 entry plug from Eva 2.0 after getting crushed by Shinji during the Bardiel battle and the Shikinami from 2.0 is the original clone, but I'm unsure and unlikely about that interpretation. At least all I know is that it's not directly connected to NGE and it's not meta-scene of Soryu so we can cross that off the board. Plus, I think that the flashback scene where Shikinami referenced that she doesn't have parents is probably the time where all the clones are trained and gone through trials under Nerv so it makes sense for describing herself as an orphan. Still I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong about it if either it's separate memories of the Shikinami clones with the same past from Nerv training, or the clones have the ability to transfer memories from the failed & original clones to the current Shikinami just like Rei, but please do let me know about it.
Oh shoot, what time is it? Heading back to Nerv-2 in Nevada ASAP!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 am

Someone's attempting to make the SnK derived copy-pasta come true...

https://www.change.org/p/toho-rewriteev ... lang=en-US

pasta  SPOILER: Show
Wow Asushin fans are vocal about the new movie and they are not happy. They are discontented with the way Asuka becomes a npc in the end who either ends up alone or gets breed by Kenken daily and the whole Mari becoming Shinji's girlfriend and future wife ending. I guess they were holding out hope for a ReTake route. There's even a petition that's garnered thousands of signatures to have the movie changed. Obviously that wont happen but it shows how unhappy they are.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:28 am

Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:34 am

Jesus Christ, Asushin fans are pathetic. They just can't accept Shinji getting in an actual healthy relationship, can they?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am

I'm an Asushin fan and i can accept it
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Man, this is sad.

Like, yeah sure, you're not happy with it, that's completely fine. You don't have to be. But good lord man just get over it. What's done is done. Making a change.org petition because you're unsatisfied that puppy-boy got with glasses girl with humongous badonkers is gonna do nothing in the end. You're wasting your time.

The more I think about it the more I doubt the ending actually means anything serious on the "shipping"/romantic side anyways...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 pm

I honestly don't see how one possibly flirty comment means they're married now.
The whole final scene is very ambiguous & possibly entirely metaphorical.
It certainly could be read that way - "life went on & he got with someone he didn't know (that well) as a teen like most ppl" (big Mari has the same glasses as Mrs. Anno; but that's so meta), but it's very open ended overall.
They talk as if they haven't seen each other in a while ("You're as X as ever") so it might as well be some reunion scenario.

Mari seems to represent among other things, something like supportiveness (she's usually dispensing advice - to Asuka too) & the movie as a whole is a story of Shinji (and the others!) being lead into freedom through supportiveness - so that last scene makes perfect sense.
And for a story about maturing & letting go of the false gods you've made yourselves dependant on, showing everyone as adults living normal lives is a logical coda.

There were even ppl claiming Rei and Kaworu "ended up together" just because they're briefly seen talking to each other (not even holding hands or anything!) which is just 'ridic.

I don't get why some ppl act like Kawoshin was totally jossed either; Having some underlying unacknowledged motive to meet his own emotional needs just makes him... the same as everyone else? It's no different from Misato's, Shinji' & Asuka's segment in ep 25.
I was honestly VERy glad to see that 'cause it's only confirmed what I've always been saying that he liked Shinji cause he views them as similar & that Shinji only views him as an inexplicable savior. Take that, "plot device" crowd!
Note that Shinji only compares him to Gendo after he's had a big epic reconciliation hug with Gendo so in that context it wouldn't mean like evil, manipulating etc. but the new info that he just learned about Gendo: That he just attached to the first person who was nice to him cause he had little hope for himself. (there's even a similar line in episode 24' when SEELE brings up Gendo's plan)
The difference between Rebuild & the OG series is that Kaworu apparently cannot escape by dying.
& though he hated being trapped by fate (Yay! I missed this aspect of Kaworu from the original) he also kind of relied on it to connect him with others... exactly like Shinji with his EVA.
In that sense Kaworu is a bit like those ppl with 'stealth depression' who look like cheerful creampuffs on the outside because do everything to make their friends happy, having little hope of happiness for themselves.
To say, "No, it's YOUr turn now, you don't have to keep being strong for me" is a super-duper caring thing. It's Shinji getting over the inferiority complex that plagued the relationship from day one when each kept insisting they should be the one to sleep on the floor.
the toxic idea that your relationships are over once people no longer need you is what kept Shinji tied to the EVA in the first place.

(all this holds equally true if you read them as friends of course; This was another point that was deliberately left ambiguous so it could be "whichever would be more comforting to the beholder in Shinji's position")

& they keep it from spinning right around into self-flagellation because Shinji himself is helped by Misato before & rescued by Mari after his stunt & his parents take some effin responsibility for once after causing it all by paying for it in his stead.

As much as I have my preferences as much as everyone else, all three options (plus Misato sort of, less so in rebuild) were both very clearly intentional (complete with official statements to back it up) & conceived to speak both to universal appeal and common character flaws,
See that whole "Rei is for the sadist, Asuka for the masochists & Misato for the manchildren" comment.
and they're there mostly to fill functions in the plot.

All three main love interests got something like a confession scene, Shinji got to save them & make up for what he couldn't do in the past, cut to that whole "I will always be proud of having loved you" song etc & have important roles in the motivation & journey.

I guess AsuShin is the closest to jossed but the point of them was always to be the least compatible people you could imagine you still got a pretty validating mutual confession of sorts.
That's way more than I expected to see and a huge contrast to the 'you liar you're just coming to me for comfort' we got in EoE. Now Shinji's motives there were far from 100% sincere (anyone who wanted to argue the opposite would've gotten nothing) & Asuka had every reason to be mad, but at the same time, I don't think he was 100% insincere either from how the line is said; and even if something couldn't didn't work out doesn't mean that it was valueless. That's what I thought, but I wouldn't have bet my savings that Anno thought so as well
- in general a shift I noticed throughout the whole film, that he wasn't quite as strict on the characters. (we see this also with how Shinji gets defended by his former classmates & some WILLE members, apologized to by Misato... Asuka's still harsh but that's just her role.Some people are going to be harsh - and she did help a bit, too, let's not ignore that.)
In general I've always read a lot of what ppl read as finger wagging at the audience as a realistic depiction of self-doubt, which of course extends to questioning ones' subcultural surroundings (that is sensible to do).
And isn't there this big talk in eps 25 and 26 about how those negative voices aren't always right?
Of course it's realized in concept there.
But in this film you sort of see this more in practice. The characters get a break (and therefore, maybe, so do all those little parts in Anno's head.)- after a long & ardeous journey, mind you- even the depictions of everyday life also contain fear, deprivation & death.

& Asuka's in the last scene if you squint; I've seen loads of fics take advantage of the wiggle room there already.
I'd go "Hehe and you said we were the butthurt ones" but post Q persecution responses have made it obvious that the blue team also has its share of diehards XDD

...like, this was never going to be a hugely romance-focussed movie under any circumstances. This was never that sort of genre.
No false promises were made. Though if that's what people wanted they'd probably go see a soap opera instead. It's probably more about a sort of validation. You really should be confident enough in your opinions that you don't need a choir of ppl around you telling you you're right, or unable to receive it unless it comes in one specific form.
Both getting attached & being disappointed is normal & doesn't make you stupid but over the top butthurt isn't productive either.

I'd say there were plenty of sweet moments too, & most importantly, they lived. They all got told that they matter and that it wasn't wrong to care about them. That's gotta be more important than if they get with one specific dude.

All in all, while there's individual aspects I would change, I really like that this ended up a very dense, open-ended, ambiguous thing because I feel that's something EVA did well that is really missing in today's media landscape.
They want everything neatly packaged, sanitized & labelled good or bad, but how can you do that when you're not even fully sure what even happened?
Especially since a lot of people were under the assumption that "happy" endings must always be dumb & easy and hand you all the closure & packaged explanation. It was probably not easy to make it offer a different kind of catharsis than EoE did* while still leaving room for mystery & interpretation.

*not because EoE was bad or needed to be fixed, but because it's good, so you're not going to make something universally better by repeating it.

there will always be some butthurt people. best to ignore them & keep having fun anyways /continue the serious discussions in the next room.
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:36 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Someone's attempting to make the SnK derived copy-pasta come true...

This youtube video is the only response I have to this. I wish the Foundation was real.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There were even ppl claiming Rei and Kaworu "ended up together" just because they're briefly seen talking to each other (not even holding hands or anything!) which is just 'ridic.

I don't think it is ridic. They put Rei and Kaworu speaking in their last escene together (unlike Asuka). So, this seems to be a hint to a close relationship.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I don't get why some ppl act like Kawoshin was totally jossed either; Having some underlying unacknowledged motive to meet his own emotional needs just makes him... the same as everyone else? It's no different from Misato's, Shinji' & Asuka's segment in ep 25.

I agree that people seem to focus to much on Kaworu emotional needs, especially since Asuka and Rei seem have a similar situation.

However, I think there is a point that the relationship with Shinji isn't so good for Asuka, Kaworu and Rei. They couldn't move on, because that relationship.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:the toxic idea that your relationships are over once people no longer need you is what kept Shinji tied to the EVA in the first place.

In the Instrumentality, I think the point is to let people go if the relationship stagnates you.
Last edited by Konja7 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”