Will 3.0+1.0 Negatively Impact The Legacy of Evangelion?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Will 3.0+1.0 Negatively Impact The Legacy of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:33 am

View Original PostIsAnnoGodOrATroll wrote:I don't think Anno could've predicted the pandemic to change his portrayal of hope when he wrote the script or when the production was underway. I get why you're trying to say and respect that, but the pandemic part is just dumb.

I led with the pandemic because we're in the midst of it, not because I think he could or should have predicted it. But I should have omitted it.

It's just that, based on the first 10 minutes from when it was shown in Paris and elsewhere, ever since Covid began, I was expecting that by the time Shin finally came out it would be weirdly relevant and topical in an unexpected way; in Avant, the crew needs helmets to breathe in a contaminated environment and work against impossible odds to restore their unfamiliar surroundings to something normal and familiar. It was almost shocking from the perspective of a pandemic world when I rewatched it.

But in the end Shin seems to have no real tie to the actual world, not accidentally or purposefully. Everything is just undone by metamagic. The optimism was unearned pre-pandemic, it just seems extremely off-base now.
Après moi le déluge!

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:42 am

When EP VII was released, positive reviews reached the sky

How is remembered in 2021?

Well, like if in 2021 somebody gives a damn about the movie

And we could find hundred of examples

So beware about initial reactions.....

For me, I didn't like NTE from the start because, FMPOV, it makes the original series, born in a very especific context, a less unique work. Yeah, we know it's a different continuity, with even different characters (Soryu/Shikinami), but NTE existence makes EOE less....End.

It's just my opinion, but NTE's existence and many of Anno's choices have turned him, for my eyes, into a big hypocrite. I know most of you won't share my opinion, but that's what forums are for. And, like I've said in other post, maybe he is not the genius so many claim to be. Since 2000, not a single original work, about....I better save my words...and many choices that reek of otaku (facing the real life, my ass). So, for me, yeah, it has impacted Evangelion's legacy.

A good / bad (because it's a sequel) example could be Blade Runner 2049. Yeah, the film works fine, it's interesting, it's a different approach, it had good reviews at first....but just a few years later, we're more conscient of its flaws and have to deal with the feeling that it has made the 1982 film (a masterpiece) less unique.

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox#915095 wrote:And yet merch is selling out at ridiculous rates, review sites are giving it close to a perfect ten, and it's breaking box office records. 5chan and 2chan reflect the biases of their communities, and while I'm not surprised the film isn't universally loved (lol Chadsuke) I think it's a bit inaccurate to say "Japanese fans hate it" so broadly.

one of the few reviews you can find on internet. I'll leave you to decide what to make of it
https://73rz3hi5ve6pbfeb27ryqemlvq--not ... a0c462e025

Shin-Evangelion as "Anno's Recovery Story"
What is the story of Shin-Evangelion in a nutshell?

I have just read the full review and wow, it's....but we agree : with is choices, Anno turns to be an hypocrite. He better doesn´t get a divorce or the outcome could be....
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:55 am

The true legacy of Evangelion is all around us, in what has happened with late-night anime since the original TV series finished airing. That may not have been exactly what was intended (especially with the current isekai fad), but it is what endures. Nor do I see the film having much impact on the merchandising engine, even though all ships have sailed.

While the Rebuilds as a whole may have failed the initial "more accessible/easier to understand" goal by not streamlining the whole Ancient Aliens/Illuminati side and putting the focus on the characters to hammer home the moral, at least this one serves to deliver a sense of closure to the project.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Nor do I see the film having much impact on the merchandising engine, even though all ships have sailed.

Of course it hasn't had impact. That would be the real catastrophe for them.

Or are we gonna believe that "I wanna approach Eva from a different perspective" speech?

As credible as those director releasing one cut after another of the same movie "because this is the version what I always wanted"
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:04 am

View Original PostKitchenBattle wrote:From what I can tell it's go to do with:
SPOILER: Show
Anno asserting the idea that TV+EoE and NTE are connected, making it impossible to escape back to the classic in case they don't like Rebuild. Also those minor shipping implications.

No need for spoiler tags in the spoiler zone. :wink:

I've been busy for the past couple days and haven't been able to keep up with spoilers. How is NTE linked with NGE. Like, I know Shinji literally name drops "NEON GENESIS" at some point in the movie, but the context of that scene makes me think that scene was more about Shinji wanting a "New Beginning," while also playfully nodding at other Eva works in a meta way. Was there more to the link between NGE and NTE than just that?

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 am

I don't think it will impact the legacy negatively. I too feared that the callbacks to NGE were more than that, and trying to comment on/retcon NGE, but after having seen those scenes myself, it's just not true. NTE is still its own thing - the movie itself doesn't say anything that I would consider bitter or berating, either. Quite the opposite: most of all, it seems to be a message to relax. It's outright telling you "this is just a story - please treat it like that, and decide for yourself what you want to do." Since people like to compare NGE and NTE to Star Wars, think about it this way: if you happened to dislike the Prequel or Sequel Trilogy, did it make you dislike the originals? It certainly didn't for me. Sure, I was pretty pissed at Star Wars when I saw the Sequel Trilogy, as I thoroughly disliked everything it did, but that went away, and I can still watch the OT whenever I want and enjoy it for what it is. So, the legacy of the OT remains untouched. Nothing can change the past. And we are free to simply ignore whichever addition to canon there is. I can understand feeling forced to take it all in and see it as a whole, but that's not the only valid point of view, and once you gain a little distance (especially from heated fan-dialogue) and relax a little, it all seems much less serious. Even in the hypothetical worst case scenario, with Eva from now on becoming a pure merchandising machine, with ever more soulless spin-offs churned out, that can not retroactively alter the original series or make it empty/devoid of meaning in hindsight. Remember what Shinji said in EoE: "At least I know that my feelings at the time were valid." Same thing applies here. Whatever you felt for the originals at some point is valid, and nobody can force you to feel differently about it in hindsight. Similarly, NGE was made with Anno in a different state of mind. The Anno that made NGE is a different Anno from the one who made NTE. So what NTE Anno has to say about NGE can only ever be an afterthought, it does not alter what NGE Anno thought about things, or what he was trying to say with the original series. NTE is a newer take on some themes from NGE, but it doesn't supercede or overwrite NGE.

TL;DR: Relax, don't let people dictate what you feel, and everything will be fine. ^_^

Edit: @Freaky: No, from what I can tell, NTE is not trying to retcon the series or say that there is some direct connection. NTE seems to go incredibly meta, even fourth wall breaking, and that's the only connection between the works that I can see. In any case, it can only be a reflection on what came before, but it can't change what came before.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:25 pm

I saw the film in theaters last night and had mixed feelings when I left the theater, and reflected on the experience on my way home. Then I read what some people had to say last night, drank a bit of alcohol, and fell asleep. I then read the transcript this morning, and after having slept on it, I can absolutely say 3.0+1.0 cannot and absolutely should not negatively impact the legacy of Evangelion.

Let's put things into perspective here:

TV ending comes out. People hate it, and complain for several years, before either choosing to accept it or the alternative. EoE ending comes out. A lot of fans preferred it, but for a lot of people, the film genuinely makes them feel uncomfortable compared to the TV ending, which some fans also prefer.

Now we get to 3.0+1.0. Some people here and elsewhere are disappointed. So the cycle repeats, again. I believe fans will digest this film for several years before choosing to accept it as a part of Eva. But at first, every initial experience is met with a knee-jerk reaction of rejection and unfulfillment. This is practically a trope of the Eva fandom by now.

Can we all at least agree, that 3.0+1.0's themes and core messages are in line with the rest of the franchise?

"Take care of yourself"

"You cannot feel love from others until you love yourself"

"Don't close yourself off from others"

"As long as you have the will to live, anywhere can be paradise"

I feel as though these are the things that really make Eva, well, Eva. The theatrics, the lore, and the character romantic pairings are not the reason Evangelion broke the creative medium. Look no further than Shingeki No Kyojin - it is an entertaining story but minus these themes that's all it is, an entertaining story.

Now granted, I still prefer EoE overall. And, I do not feel 3.0+1.0 is a perfect movie. The music is not particularly invigorating or as exciting, so in my opinion, I personally felt kind of let down by Shiro Sagisu this time around. It's not his best work. There is character drama and dialogue in particular I find unnecessary (honestly my feelings haven't changed on Wunder or the crew, it's garbage). And, my biggest complaint with the film has to do with the EoE-style Giant Naked "Rei". Why the fuck was a human face superimposed over it? It looked so dumb. Like Nickelodeon-esque. This was a poor animation choice by Anno. Perhaps he was trying to remove the connection between Lilith and Rei this time around. Or maybe he was trying to make a statement about the meme culture around EoE movie posters (like people photoshopping real people's faces over dead Lilith on the beach). Nonetheless, this change could probably be addressed in a future home video release. Or it is just going to remain that way, and it will continue to give 3.0+1.0 that sense of "true weirdness" the series is known for.

Even despite the few complaints I have, I think it is a solid film. It is a worthwhile conclusion to Rebuild of Evangelion. There is nothing in the transcript at all that suggests NGE and Rebuild are intertwined timelines or sequels. So let's leave it at that shall we? If you love NGE but hate Rebuild, well keep loving NGE and don't watch Rebuild. If you prefer Rebuild, that's fine too. And if you love both of them individually, hey that's great too. I find myself in the latter camp, even if I prefer the original NGE to some extent.
I hate the internet

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:04 pm

Nah it'll be good.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 pm

View Original PostPainXIII12 wrote:Nah it'll be good.

Counterpoint, nah it'll be bad.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm

View Original Postroblucci01 wrote:Can we all at least agree, that 3.0+1.0's themes and core messages are in line with the rest of the franchise?

I think Anno's approach is consistent, as outlined in my post here.

What I think is different is that his approach in Shin far more than prior has ungrounded the setting and rendered it pointless and swallowed the characters up more detrimentally. The old show and EoE still have fleshed out characters and a consistent and somewhat grounded, albeit in many ways cryptic, hard-scifi backdrop. Even when EOTV and EOE descend into phantasmagoria, the catalysts and triggers all feel earned and foregrounded. But from the script and the clips, it just seems to me that Shin is a case of thoroughly figurative writing that forsakes far too much in terms of narrative. Although actually, my biggest problem is that the underlying message it does this in service of is also misguided.
Last edited by Axx°N N. on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Après moi le déluge!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:04 am

Even if Shin has ungrounded the setting and made it pointless, it still can't reflect on NGE. NGE and EoE will remain as they once were and nothing NTE does can change them or make them lesser, even if it was a direct sequel.

I think Shin's refusal to play by traditional narrative rules a la EoTV is potentially a pretty good choice, actually-it makes the fiction of the whole film even more clear and therefore manages to make a poetic case for growing up and maturing while still giving closure to its characters and narrative where it matters the most. If you think the message itself is wrong, then I guess it doesn't matter, of course. Personally I'm waiting to see Shin to have a better grasp of the whole thing-I'm not that certain about the ending either, but I trust Anno enough to believe that it comes off well and as something against escapism rather than for it.

I do have to disagree about the "fleshed-out characters" part, though-from what I know, the characters of NTE are very well fleshed out when you view NTE as a film series with a larger focus on Shinji i.e. an artwork with a different story structure and time concerns than a TV series. Besides from that, I feel that NGE had human relationships as one of its grand themes, along with mental health problems-NTE, on the other hand, has other ideas in mind when it comes to its main themes (seemingly more a coda more directly against escapism and for maturing, along with a discussion of NGE, from its origins to its impact, which might also have something more to say about traditional franchise material and humanity's relationship to fiction as a whole), which is why I feel it's also not as preoccupied with extremely well thought-out characters as NGE. And I don't think that's an objective flaw, really. It's just a matter of the main themes being different and that impacting the degree to which the characters are multifaceted.

(Mari is a puzzle in that regard, I admit-it seems that even Shin doesn't make her more multifaceted and complex, but I guess if she was meant to "destroy Eva", then it kind of works, but I'll have to see the film to make better judgments on the reason for her (lack of) character development.)

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:26 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:The old show and EoE still have fleshed out characters and a consistent and somewhat grounded, albeit in many ways cryptic, hard-scifi backdrop...But from the script and the clips, it just seems to me that Shin is a case of thoroughly figurative writing that forsakes far too much in terms of narrative.

Okay but Evangelion episodes 1-24 alone are longer in length than all of Rebuild. So they had more time to provide backstory. And, one is a TV show, the other is a series of movies, so it is understandable that the narrative structure and way of presenting the story would be different. And I do not think Anno needs to spoon-feed the viewer all of the details. I'm not saying the universes of NTE and NGE are parallel or intertwined, but based on what the viewer knows about the Eva franchise and Eva stories, they can reasonably be expected to make inferences about what is going on and imaginatively draw their own conclusions as to what may or may not have happened.

Even when EOTV and EOE descend into phantasmagoria, the catalysts and triggers all feel earned and foregrounded.

Come on... Really? Let's be honest here, in NGE Seele's "scenario" literally NEVER made sense, period. First, they complain about Eva Unit-01 awakening. Then they complain about losing the lance. But it turned out Eva Unit-01 absorbing the S2 engine didn't hinder their scenario at all (if anything, it helped it), and losing the lance didn't matter either, because it could literally fly back to Earth at a moment's notice, anyway. They send Kaworu to initiate Third. But wait, he can die, it doesn't matter, Keel proclaims. Then in EoE they put in the order to have Shinji killed, until Misato saves him, and then miraculously, Seele has again adjusted their scenario for HIP to be compatible with Shinji, Unit-01, Lilith, and all the other moving parts. Their plan was never consistent.

In NGE we never learn what the "Dead Sea Scrolls" really had to say. Nor are the concepts of "Souls" and "Vessels" ever sufficiently explained. There was literally never a "First Ancestral Race" or anything about Lilith having a spear in NGE. The games retconned all this in and since then people ran with it. So many of the other conclusions we draw from NGE and EoE are based on inference and speculation as well. But in the 21st century, with the existence of things like fan wikis and communities, it's relatively easy for people to establish an artificial set of rules and science behind Eva. What I'm saying is, at the end of the day, the one with the final say is Anno, and arguably, maybe Sadamoto as well. If they want to introduce some crazy shit out of left field, that's their choice. It's their story. We can either be like "wow Eva sucks now", fanwank a new way of explaining it as we always did before, or simply accept the fact most Eva logic never made that much sense to begin with.

Although actually, my biggest problem is that the underlying message it does this in service of is also misguided.

I really don't understand what you mean here. Perhaps I'll need to read your other post to get more insight. But from what I get out of Rebuild the underlying messages and themes are pretty sound.
I hate the internet

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:25 pm

If the original series finale and 3.0 didn't tarnish it, then I doubt 3.0+1.0 will tarnish it.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Even if Shin has ungrounded the setting and made it pointless, it still can't reflect on NGE. NGE and EoE will remain as they once were and nothing NTE does can change them or make them lesser, even if it was a direct sequel.

I totally agree.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I think Shin's refusal to play by traditional narrative rules a la EoTV is potentially a pretty good choice, actually-it makes the fiction of the whole film even more clear and therefore manages to make a poetic case for growing up and maturing while still giving closure to its characters and narrative where it matters the most.

EoE already did that, though. I don't see how Shin gives closure to its established characters by introducing a new Deus Ex Machina character and then shorting them all on screentime. What it does with Shinji by making him more central seems like just a lightly alternate form of what was done twice before.

Personally, I find it a bit antithetical that the message is still 'growing up and moving on' given the rehashing element of the Rebuilds and that it's consumed Anno's output for more than 10 years. Perhaps it would have been more of a believable message had Anno moved onto new creations and said new things, instead of redundant entries whose real major differences are that there's more degrees of escapist spectacle action and gratuitous breast jiggling.

I think it's telling in his parting words in the Shin theater pamphlet that he mentions the surface elements--visuals, music, colors, etc., and that almost as an afterthought mentions his sensibilities and making the script "at least even a little interesting."

I don't think these movies can be separated from their motivation as money-making franchising and general audience draws. Compared to old Eva, I don't think they should be approached first and foremost as serious or poetic efforts.

View Original Postroblucci01 wrote:Come on... Really? Let's be honest here, in NGE Seele's "scenario" literally NEVER made sense, period. First, they complain about Eva Unit-01 awakening. Then they complain about losing the lance. But it turned out Eva Unit-01 absorbing the S2 engine didn't hinder their scenario at all (if anything, it helped it), and losing the lance didn't matter either, because it could literally fly back to Earth at a moment's notice, anyway. They send Kaworu to initiate Third. But wait, he can die, it doesn't matter, Keel proclaims. Then in EoE they put in the order to have Shinji killed, until Misato saves him, and then miraculously, Seele has again adjusted their scenario for HIP to be compatible with Shinji, Unit-01, Lilith, and all the other moving parts. Their plan was never consistent.

In NGE we never learn what the "Dead Sea Scrolls" really had to say. Nor are the concepts of "Souls" and "Vessels" ever sufficiently explained. There was literally never a "First Ancestral Race" or anything about Lilith having a spear in NGE. The games retconned all this in and since then people ran with it. So many of the other conclusions we draw from NGE and EoE are based on inference and speculation as well. But in the 21st century, with the existence of things like fan wikis and communities, it's relatively easy for people to establish an artificial set of rules and science behind Eva. What I'm saying is, at the end of the day, the one with the final say is Anno, and arguably, maybe Sadamoto as well. If they want to introduce some crazy shit out of left field, that's their choice. It's their story. We can either be like "wow Eva sucks now", fanwank a new way of explaining it as we always did before, or simply accept the fact most Eva logic never made that much sense to begin with.

I would be the first to tell you that the cryptic lore is not the appeal of Eva. For me, it's always been its sense of intense emotion and its formal experimentation with its medium, the design philosophy and visual storytelling. But the thing is, with old NGE, if you wanted to focus on the lore, it was rewarding to track and felt like it added to the atmosphere if anything. When I did a rewatch recently, me and my viewing partner, who also took an interest to the lore purely as an added extra, felt like in our teasing-out that while we ran into places where information or clarity was withheld, there never felt like huge gaps in logic, not in terms of something not working with some effort on our part, and not in things seeming like they were being discarded without justification.

It's easy to form a perspective on the lore in a way that dovetails neatly into the experimental sequences and overall meaning. Seele is there from the start, and although they clearly turn into something different than their initial appearance, they do so with consistent rate & rhythm. The spear is introduced slowly, the way Angels, Evas, Lilith et all function is introduced at a good clip, Human Instrumentality is there since the opening credits, Rei's origins, the origin of Nerv, etc. all have their time. When everything goes down into surreal territory, the sequence of events leading to it track as real events that unfold, even if certain elements are inscrutable or the physics of the spears verges on the ridiculous. The overall nebulous armageddon of it all contributes to the feeling of a difficult and misunderstood world, even if you can't get a grasp of, say, the doors of Guf. Nonetheless, the idea of Human Instrumentality checks out as a hard sci-fi premise and Shinji's purely psychological journey that it affords also feels like a solid tracing of something from Point A to Point B. The series and what it presents itself as morphs over time, but it's a morph you can swallow and track.

Now we have NTE, where even before the phantasmagoria begins, the physics of the spears out of nowhere apparently functions under the whims of human emotion, Misato's ship is capable of transformation in the same 'just because' fashion of Unit-02 morphing into a cat. There's a third, new spear out of nowhere, there's a Book of Life that explains and doesn't explain Kaworu's loop, which I still struggle to see the meaning of, much like I struggle to understand what Mari's backstory adds, or what her having a true name adds.

In NGE, Seele at least has the benefit of being an obscure, mystic organization with religious eschatology beliefs and fealty to the arcane. But now all of that has been shouldered onto Gendo, and all he comes across as is some kind of plan-wizard whose plottings are never deterred. Nothing in NGE compares to the absurdity that he's contrived Rei and Kaworu's interactions with Shinji as a means to lead the plot to its goal, confident that their interactions will give the plan either exactly what it needs or in the worst case can easily be incorporated anyway. Even NGE Seele talk about compromises, backups and powerlessness on their part.

At the end of the day, these are just random elements that don't dovetail or fit in with everything else, or at the least have any sense of buildup to their inclusion. The old show set limitations and discarded them, but not to this kind of haphazard extent. Eva Units for instance once had to operate under the restricting principle that they needed connection to a power source--but thanks to the unending convenience of the timeskip, we can just say, 'well, they formulated a way to get around that.' Much like the Nemesis series, the gesture of 'well, in the intervening years, crazy new forms of tech occured,' it's just an unrestrained excuse to indulge in new designs and action sequence pyrotechnics.

View Original Postroblucci01 wrote:I really don't understand what you mean here. Perhaps I'll need to read your other post to get more insight.

It's covered in my post, I didn't want to be redundant.
Après moi le déluge!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 pm

This whole thread comes from an inherently bad faith approach; that Shin can and will never live up to NGE. Since I disagree on that very premise (and ticket sales seem to agree on that!), I am going to say that no, Shin will do the opposite and elevate the franchise. Well, outside of mired-in-the-past elitists, but there's no pleasing those to begin with.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:14 am

Axx°N N. wrote:
I don't see how Shin gives closure to its established characters by introducing a new Deus Ex Machina character and then shorting them all on screentime. What it does with Shinji by making him more central seems like just a lightly alternate form of what was done twice before.

I don't know either-but it's worth pointing out that a) you haven't seen the film you're still criticizing so fervently and b) NTE hasn't made qualms about being a more Shinji-centric, interested-in-themes-more-than-characters work than NGE, which I don't think is objectively bad.

I don't think these movies can be separated from their motivation as money-making franchising and general audience draws. Compared to old Eva, I don't think they should be approached first and foremost as serious or poetic efforts.

And why is that? NTE started off as a simple way to make money, but in my opinion, the very fact that Anno, still a rather serious artist, dedicated so much of his own time to a very different version of NGE to the point it became its own thing and from which many have gleaned several real themes (whether or not those themes are well examined is a different issue) and the fact he even became depressed when making Q and the undeniably artistic qualities of that penultimate entry of NTE to me indicate that even if money was the sole motivator in the beginning, it stopped being that rather quickly.

Even the plethora of merchandising doesn't topple my notion, because Anno is someone who doesn't appear to have any issues with capitalism and has talked about the necessity of also promoting art as a product. And notice he said that art should be promoted as a product sometimes, not that what he's doing is a product in and of itself.

At the end of the day, these are just random elements that don't dovetail or fit in with everything else, or at the least have any sense of buildup to their inclusion. The old show set limitations and discarded them, but not to this kind of haphazard extent. Eva Units for instance once had to operate under the restricting principle that they needed connection to a power source--but thanks to the unending convenience of the timeskip, we can just say, 'well, they formulated a way to get around that.' Much like the Nemesis series, the gesture of 'well, in the intervening years, crazy new forms of tech occured,' it's just an unrestrained excuse to indulge in new designs and action sequence pyrotechnics.

That's a difference of personal aesthetic taste, it seems to me-and moreover, it's a bit strange to say a film you haven't even seen is incapable of adequately pulling off its lore moments, isn't it?

Blockio wrote:
This whole thread comes from an inherently bad faith approach; that Shin can and will never live up to NGE. Since I disagree on that very premise (and ticket sales seem to agree on that!), I am going to say that no, Shin will do the opposite and elevate the franchise.

Well, ticket sales aren't an indicator of quality or otherwise, Tarkovsky would have the legacy of being one of the world's most commercially successful directors.

I think that maybe we really need to think why there's even such a need to consider the "legacy" of Evangelion. NGE and EoE are beloved masterworks and will remain as that for at least quite some time, I feel. And is the legacy of Eva even that great right now, anyway? It's a work that ends with a message of reaching out to other people and engaging in real, tangible human relationships with others-yet it's a franchise with a plethora of spin-off material that at best plays with that message, at worst straight-out ignores it, that, the more it grows in international popularity, is the more and more used by people to escape from their realities into a nice world of 2D animation. In some ways, the legacy of Eva is a beautiful one-it's a legacy of people who tried talking with others and got better, it's a legacy of a wonderful artistic work dissected, analyzed and discussed. But in some ways, it's also a legacy of an artwork that failed in its message, that has become the cornerstone of a franchise used by people to continue their escapist drabbles all the same.

Maybe this is just my general pessimism speaking, but Blockio's post just made me think about what's so good about the legacy of Eva as it currently stands anyway and why, for that matter, we even care so much.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:13 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:NTE hasn't made qualms about being a more Shinji-centric, interested-in-themes-more-than-characters work than NGE, which I don't think is objectively bad.

I'm not sure I agree, at least on the themes-more-than-characters angle. I would say it's more a mixture of action and sensory appeal + themes, at the sake of character. There'd be more room for characters, and for themes, if the films didn't devote a lot of their runtime to acrobatic mecha and color-bombs of explosions. Which are things I can see the appeal of and like myself, mind you, although I prefer they fit better in step with everything else around them; it breaks immersion when certain design choices feel like they were done just to look spectacular.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:NTE started off as a simple way to make money, but in my opinion, the very fact that Anno, still a rather serious artist, dedicated so much of his own time to a very different version of NGE to the point it became its own thing and from which many have gleaned several real themes (whether or not those themes are well examined is a different issue) and the fact he even became depressed when making Q and the undeniably artistic qualities of that penultimate entry of NTE to me indicate that even if money was the sole motivator in the beginning, it stopped being that rather quickly.

Even the plethora of merchandising doesn't topple my notion, because Anno is someone who doesn't appear to have any issues with capitalism and has talked about the necessity of also promoting art as a product. And notice he said that art should be promoted as a product sometimes, not that what he's doing is a product in and of itself.

As for your first point it's hard to say; to me it seems like there's a handful of considerations involved, but I believe the commercial consideration in the end was the most consistent one. Maybe it's the case Anno became depressed, and had he persisted and made what was then called 4.0 right away, it would have been him leaning into that depression, and we would have gotten something more bleak. Perhaps his time away and his chance to recommit allowed him to rectify things somehow, find some new coping mechanisms and perspectives, and return and deliver what he felt is the better piece tonally. But all along the way, even as the intent behind it morphed, I don't think the original premise of creating a more commercial version was lost. Even 3.0, which wasn't exactly a crowd-pleaser, to me distinguishes itself with Ep. 24 and EoE in that the scripting is more telling than showing, and that the entire Shinji & Kaworu dynamic is a more familiar kind of "tragic mystic guiding savior boyfriend" device, the stuff of many a romance film & novel. In other words, it's still rather commercial feeling.

Evidenced by everything I've seen of 3.0+1.0, the last entry is also tonally commercial, with a lot of cliches that feel lifted from something more eager to crowd-please than Eva of old; things are resolved very easily in a kind of Shonen or Hollywood fashion, and the messaging seems more direct, almost to the point of advisory. I feel like it's aimed at a demographic that wants happy endings and to know exactly how they're supposed to feel as they walk out of the theater. NTE thus far has felt to me like it was designed for audiences that mostly want kinetic action and a "roller coaster"-esque ride where the narrative leads them seamlessly on an experience, without the danger of being led astray. I find that unappealing and that it has a boxed-in sort of feeling, but I find most commercial works unappealing, and yes, that's just me.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:That's a difference of personal aesthetic taste, it seems to me-and moreover, it's a bit strange to say a film you haven't even seen is incapable of adequately pulling off its lore moments, isn't it?

I freely admit it's aesthetic taste. I'm also open to certain things working better or worse for me once I've actually seen the film, in fact it would only be natural.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I think that maybe we really need to think why there's even such a need to consider the "legacy" of Evangelion. NGE and EoE are beloved masterworks and will remain as that for at least quite some time, I feel. And is the legacy of Eva even that great right now, anyway? It's a work that ends with a message of reaching out to other people and engaging in real, tangible human relationships with others-yet it's a franchise with a plethora of spin-off material that at best plays with that message, at worst straight-out ignores it, that, the more it grows in international popularity, is the more and more used by people to escape from their realities into a nice world of 2D animation. In some ways, the legacy of Eva is a beautiful one-it's a legacy of people who tried talking with others and got better, it's a legacy of a wonderful artistic work dissected, analyzed and discussed. But in some ways, it's also a legacy of an artwork that failed in its message, that has become the cornerstone of a franchise used by people to continue their escapist drabbles all the same.

Maybe this is just my general pessimism speaking, but Blockio's post just made me think about what's so good about the legacy of Eva as it currently stands anyway and why, for that matter, we even care so much.

I'm right there with you on all of that.
Après moi le déluge!

lazysaturn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lazysaturn » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm

View Original PostKitchenBattle wrote:Unsurprisingly, the final movie is so far successful. Personally I am loving how it all went (at least from what the leaks say). But dwelling on Japanese threads I'm also noticing that a massive amount of fans are furious, and some moviegoer reviews are adding fuel to the fire. I also noticed folks selling their Evangelion merch on YAJ at junk rates. I think there is an angry petition signed by thousands to change the ending (obviously wont be happening). From what I can tell it's go to do with:
Anno asserting the idea that TV+EoE and NTE are connected, making it impossible to escape back to the classic in case they don't like Rebuild. Also those minor shipping implications.

What are your thoughts on this?

If people reeeeeeeeeeally want to change the ending we can :devil: animation is easier than ever.

Idc so much about the end pairings but it makes no sense...
Mari is 48 or older. Portray her accurately. Nothing wrong with dating an older woman...

Please refrain from double posting, especially if all you do is add a oneliner - Blockio

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 pm

By far the funniest thing about the reception of 3.0 + 1.0 in otaku circles is that some of the people bitching about how it reneges on the "anti-escapist" themes of the original 1. missed the memo that it's not even the point of Rebuild given that Anno straight-up said in an interview he gave up on trying to get through to otaku, and 2. are some of the most profoundly escapist people out there and are just using nominally "anti-escapist" media as a purely performative gesture.

(does a jim halpert stare at a nonexistent camera)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Zusuchan wrote:And is the legacy of Eva even that great right now, anyway? It's a work that ends with a message of reaching out to other people and engaging in real, tangible human relationships with others-yet it's a franchise with a plethora of spin-off material that at best plays with that message, at worst straight-out ignores it, that, the more it grows in international popularity, is the more and more used by people to escape from their realities into a nice world of 2D animation.

Hey, Zusuchan, you brought up some interesting questions to the table. To be honest, you are talking about something that goes beyond Evangelion. It's more about art as a whole (and the role it plays in our societies).
In my opinion, when an artist is crafting a work of any kind, he/she must be aware of one crucial thing: absolute control over his/her property is something that doesn't exist. To put it into words, once your product hits the market, it is no longer exclusively yours. You, as a developer, have a monopoly on the creative control of your piece. However, you cannot shape how the audience will react to your work. That's simply beyond the boundaries of your "powers", for better or for worse.
What you can do, however, is to ensure that your art has some meaning behind it. It doesn't really matter how others will react to it. Instead, it's more about the creator using his/her experiences, emotions and ideas to devise something truly unique and exciting! Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, sends a crystal clear message to its viewers. However, it's up to them to reflect on it or not. Like Shinji and Asuka, we have the power to make this decision. Do you want to escape from reality through anime? Well, that's on you. Just as Anno has a monopoly on his story, you are the only one capable of shaping your own experience with it.
So, what is the legacy of Evangelion? Well, for me, it is something much more volatile than most realize. Of course, EVA impacted the anime industry in many ways, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Most importantly, it created this community. It is the driving force behind this very place, which is always changing as newcomers arrive. No matter how you look at it, this is something that a couple of movies cannot ruin, in my opinion.
As for the merchandising, I believe that you made a fair criticism. Unfortunately, that's how these things work. However, you can always choose to ignore them (which is what I'm always doing).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”