3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tilikvm
Embryo

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

•      
  •      

Postby Tilikvm » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:53 pm

I'm so happy I loved it. In fact, it's literally one of the best movies I’ve ever watched.

It's not perfect, but it's one thing that the previous rebuild movies were not: emotional. After seeing the horrible landing of Game Of Thrones I was very afraid I was going to feel as numb and dissapointed with 3.0+1.0 too, but surprisingly it was not the case at all.

The selection of the music is unbelievable, when Voyager was sounding and I saw the subtitles of what the song says, I just couldn't refrain myself from crying. It's the perfect counteract to Komm, Susser Tod and a beautiful love letter to Shinji.

Pretty much the entire movie is a love letter to all the characters, the Gendo scene in which he hugs Shinji was just so cathartic for many reasons. And the scene in which Gendo and Yui reunite was beautiful and powerful.

And I actually loved the action scenes too. They had their epic surprises and the ships are cool as hell.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:49 am

Dropping this here -- a location from one of the Red Earth scenes

Google maps version here -- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.02636 ... 312!8i6656
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kamon-san
Adam

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:23 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
SPOILER: Show
As the minutes tick by and turn into hours, the more monumental the movie seems to me. The powerful score, the welcoming and rich atmosphere of the village, the interactions between characters we've been invested in for decades, at least for some of us... It feels strange that it's over, it's gone. And I know I'll understand more and more of it, and that I already think it's a wonderful film, but a small part of me is sad to know that this is it, for now. This is the end of the story, and it ends with people finding peace, with people being happy.

The bits with young Gendo resonated with me more than I thought. It didn't feel like cheap exposition, like how people say "nobody asked for a reboot of why X character became this way". It felt like welcome information, an insight into Gendo that we'd never had before, an insight that fleshes out the rebuild version of him while not devaluing his portrayal in the original television show.

Honestly, this last film had more or less everything I could ask for in a last film. And that makes it a little sad, because I don't feel like I'll be wondering about a "what if". I feel like I've had enough, like I've eaten the delicious last course of a meal with friends whose company I've enjoyed for a long time, and I know I'll always have the memories of that night, but I can't ever have that night for the last time again. I'm rambling a bit but my emotions are confused.

I think I've just elected to go buy another ticket.

I don't think I could've worded it better. I'm really glad I mustered up the courage to finally watch the film!

Try not to quote entire posts (narrow it down to the part you're addressing). I'm putting your quote in a spoiler tag - BernardoCairo

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:31 pm

I enjoyed it very very much.
My only issue was the scene between Kaworu and Kaji, not because the dialogue was bad or anything but because it gave me the feeling of missing or skipping an episode in anime, the other Kaji scene with Misato and Ritsuko didn't give me that feeling.
I guess the reason why I have somewhat of an issue with it is because it feels like a conclusion to an arc between two characters that was never shown or established in the first place and the film almost assumes we've seen it play out previously.
The one between Kaji and Misato during the 3rd impact didn't feel out of place because we've seen these two characters previously together on-screen interacting and developing their relationship.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:55 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:My only issue was the scene between Kaworu and Kaji, not because the dialogue was bad or anything but because it gave me the feeling of missing or skipping an episode in anime, the other Kaji scene with Misato and Ritsuko didn't give me that feeling.

It's because there is technically a movie we have "skipped".

Anno has mentioned his original plan for Q was a movie just after Ha (where Shinji wouldn't appear). In that movie, we would have seen Kaworu and Kaji as Commander and Vice-Commander of NERV.

Anno decided to not make that movie, since he doesn't find adequated a movie without the main character, but it seems he has mantained the events.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:29 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Anno decided to not make that movie, since he doesn't find adequated a movie without the main character, but it seems he has mantained the events.

I know about this and that he said that this is final Evangelion from him, but I hope that Tsurumaki or some other Khara director makes an OVA about those events.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:45 pm

^ Yeah, I really think the flashback scenes needed to include at least that much context, or else the scene with Kaji and Kaworu straight up doesn’t make any sense.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Personally I'd prefer if they didn't make something like an OVA, but explored these ideas in manga or even experimental short films like Until You Come To Me. I would fear an OVA would be treated as a required interquel to watch, and would undermine the dramatic point of the timeskip, and most the gradual revelations of the state of the world in Q and Shin.
I feel the events of the timeskip/immediately after 2.0 are best delivered to the viewer throughout Q and Shin, like how we meet Misato's son and learn of Kaji's death. Seeing these events chronologically would rob them of much of their impact. Some could be explained better-like Commander Nagisa seems like an Instrumentality AU moment and Gendo and Fuyutsuki's exile is never mentioned- but I think they could and should be done within the last 2 films.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:42 pm

I've understood that the timeskip was always planned. That is the reason why Shinji wouldn't appear in the original Q movie, because he would wake up after the timeskip in the next (and last) movie.

So, it's pretty likely the timeskip would always be a surprise when Shinji wakes up.

View Original PostLacissal wrote:Personally I'd prefer if they didn't make something like an OVA, but explored these ideas in manga or even experimental short films like Until You Come To Me. I would fear an OVA would be treated as a required interquel to watch, and would undermine the dramatic point of the timeskip, and most the gradual revelations of the state of the world in Q and Shin.
I feel the events of the timeskip/immediately after 2.0 are best delivered to the viewer throughout Q and Shin, like how we meet Misato's son and learn of Kaji's death. Seeing these events chronologically would rob them of much of their impact. Some could be explained better-like Commander Nagisa seems like an Instrumentality AU moment and Gendo and Fuyutsuki's exile is never mentioned- but I think they could and should be done within the last 2 films.

Why would you fear an OVA would be treated as a required interquel to watch? People would know this was released after the 3.0+1.0.

Not to mention that Misato's son could still be a mystery since he doesn't appear in 3.33. Also, I don't see how this rob from the Impact of Kaji's death.

PS: I don't think Commander Nagisa feels like an Instrumentality AU moment. It's just another confusing mystery for the timeskip.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:51 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:^ Yeah, I really think the flashback scenes needed to include at least that much context, or else the scene with Kaji and Kaworu straight up doesn’t make any sense.

Yeah, despite not seeing Asuka and Kensuke interact with each other in a flashback during the timeskip, I felt like their scene in the instrumentality felt earned because both had interacted with each other in prior scenes in the movie.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:24 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Yeah, despite not seeing Asuka and Kensuke interact with each other in a flashback during the timeskip, I felt like their scene in the instrumentality felt earned because both had interacted with each other in prior scenes in the movie.

We should consider that Kensuke and Kaji don't have the same role in the Instrumentality of Asuka and Kaworu.

Kensuke appears in a pretty emotional moment for Asuka, where he gives Asuka a resolution to the loneliness she had always felt.

Kaworu had the emotional moment with kid Shinji. Kaji appears to explain Kaworu's motivation and show they were friends. The audience feeling surprised and confused is likely the goal.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:15 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:In that movie, we would have seen Kaworu and Kaji as Commander and Vice-Commander of NERV.

Is this confirmed anywhere, or just speculation?

3.0 and 3+1 do a whole lot of implying character relationships that have been established or developed offscreen, but Kaworu/Kaji is unique for having had no prior establishment whatsoever, not even the briefest of hints.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Anno mentioned it in a stage greeting, so the only way to know about it would be to read the Japanese articles/tweets talking about it, or rely on someone who translated the article into English. And even then you'd have to trust they didn't use google translation and mess it up.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:02 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Is this confirmed anywhere, or just speculation?

3.0 and 3+1 do a whole lot of implying character relationships that have been established or developed offscreen, but Kaworu/Kaji is unique for having had no prior establishment whatsoever, not even the briefest of hints.

It seems to be confirmed by Anno in the final stage.

There are tweets from people who had seen that stage and mentioned that:

Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Truly strange that he would keep that in the script without including any scenes or dialogue elsewhere in the movie (or in the previous one, for that matter) to provide even the slightest hint of context. Maybe he really does plan to make that mid-timeskip movie someday.

So did he also confirm whether Mari is actually fiftysomething years old??
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:So did he also confirm whether Mari is actually fiftysomething years old??

It doesn't seem Anno has mentioned Mari in that stage.

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Having just finished the movie, I'm at loss for words. It's really over. And what an ending it was - holy shit, this movie really surprised me in many ways, even though a couple of key points had been spoiled to me. There's a lot to process here.

Right now I don't know how to think of the film in terms of "good" or "bad". I didn't really have any major problems with the plot and found the ending overall to be satisfying, but even more importantly, it feels like such words are completely irrelevant when it comes to this movie. My opinion might change tho.

I want to highlight one thing: Gendo's backstory. Because damn, it was so relatable it was almost frightening. Up until the piano playing part, it really felt like I was being personally called out. I wonder if Anno was writing from experience.

Those bait-and-switches with Kaji Jr. and the penguins were cruel, especially with the penguins. Looks like Pen-Pen's gone for good.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#929952 wrote:In that movie, we would have seen Kaworu and Kaji as Commander and Vice-Commander of NERV.

Is this confirmed anywhere, or just speculation?

Tsurumaki also mentioned in his Newtype magazine interview that a scenario was planned for Q that involved Kaji and Kaoru as commander and vice commander. The script wasn't written but they had a rough outline. Ultimately they ended up leaving it out but decided to include it at the end of Shin as a nod to that scenario.

this is what Tsurumaki said
About 14 years have passed between “Ha” to Q and during production, and the episodes during that time were considered to some extent.
One of them was the idea that Kaoru and Kaji would be the Commander and the Vice Commander.

I thought that I would make an episode with this idea, but what happened was that Q’s story was drawn from 14 years later without warning

__

I also wanted to point out that I've noticed two camps of folks who either like or dislike the movie fall into the watching the movie logically or watching the film emotionally (or intuitively).
Oh, the clock is ticking out

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:24 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:I also wanted to point out that I've noticed two camps of folks who either like or dislike the movie fall into the watching the movie logically or watching the film emotionally (or intuitively).

This is also something I've observed, and I fall slightly into the logical/slight disappointment range. However I'm not sure what I could do to change the way I view it, as it may just be the way I am.

Basically, my only big issue is that Shinji comes off as having gotten over his issues much too simply, and I would have preferred the movie at least show us more of his emotional journey. Despite being the main character it doesn't show his psychological change much, opting often to cut away from important interactions and conversations (Kaji Jr. meeting Shinji, Shinji fishing with Kensuke, Shinji helping at Touji's practice). The film is more concerned with Rei in Act 1, and Act 2 is just a giant dynasty warriors esque action fest with Shinji completely absent, and then by Act 3 Shinji's basically all fixed up and can save the world and help everyone resolve their issues by talking it out.

It feels like we missed at least Act 2 of Shinji's development. And while I am analyzing it analytically I'm also conscious of this and trying to view it emotionally but it just skips a beat imo. Act 1 should have been recovery (as we got), Act 2 revelation (similar to EoTV and EoE in regards to Shinji's psychological change) and Act 3 resolution as he takes action based on his new mental state.

I also agree with some critics noting that some parts of the message could have at least been worded better, ie. "I'll never cry again", when really it's more important to balance your emotions than cut them off completely (like Gendo did).

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:45 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:I also agree with some critics noting that some parts of the message could have at least been worded better, ie. "I'll never cry again", when really it's more important to balance your emotions than cut them off completely (like Gendo did).

Unfortunately, this also depends on your belief about this topic. There is still many people who think "cry" won't help at all.

The story associates "cry" with an act that not help other people (only oneself). That's why Shinji won't cry.

It fits the "help others" topic in the movie.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”