Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm

The one with Sakura Nagashi? I think I remember that one, 70% of the footages are from the final act too lol (although that one's more comparable to the previous two trailers with VOYAGER and this is the dream)
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:28 pm

I remember being shocked at how quickly they released that Sakura Nagashi trailer lol.
The whole first 24~48 hours of Q release was wild.
Also sprach Zarathustra

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:God damn it why they gotta tempt us so hard. Am I wrong for thinking this post-release cycle is suuuuper dickish? Like I know Japanese theatrical releases usually do this, dropping spoilers in accolades trailers and shit, but god damn it's not like EVA isn't popular outside of Japan. And Khara knows this, they let Netflix have the US streaming rights to NGE. It just feels like they're shitting on international fans.

All of Khara’s advertising at this point is about getting butts in seats for a second or third time. So they’re gonna run a highlights reel of what they think were everyone’s favorite moments, hinting “Hey, you wanna see these scenes again right? Maybe on the IMAX? Huh? ;) :heart:

The foreign markets are definitely tertiary to that at best.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pm

AdamMalkovitch wrote:God damn it why they gotta tempt us so hard. Am I wrong for thinking this post-release cycle is suuuuper dickish? Like I know Japanese theatrical releases usually do this, dropping spoilers in accolades trailers and shit, but god damn it's not like EVA isn't popular outside of Japan

I mean let's reverse this.
More often than not Japan is usually one of the final destinations for big US releases. It's can often be the final destination movie stars will have to go to when doing publicity for their big films.
Often there will be five to six months before a Hollywood movie releasing in the US or Europe and it releases in Japan.
By that point the movie is on home video, available for pirating or at the very least all the best bits are up on Youtube.
They don't get Godzilla Vs. Kong until next month.
I'd hate to be the one guy in Japan who wanted to see The Lighthouse (2019) in a theater because according to the Toho Cinemas website that is coming out next month too.
And according to Wikipedia 26 of the 37 highest grossing films of all time in Japan are Hollywood made movies.
As big as the audience in the US is I'm not even certain if Evangelion 3.0+1.0 got a full 2,000+ screen theatrical run in the US would it even crack the top 37 Highest Grossing Movies of the Year.

So no. It's not dickish.

It sucks. I mean It REALLY sucks.
All of us here desperately want to see the movie.
It's a bummer I can't see the most anticipated film of my life right now but I can go on Netflix and - goes on Netflix for a second - see three different versions of the reality show "Too Hot To Handle".
It sucks but clearly the international release is not as much of a priority as the domestic audience.

If you avoid it the wait isn't too bad. Avoid the trailers. Avoid talk in the spoiler section too I think. I've learned a few things about the plot of the movie - at least one thing I REALLY wish I didn't know - but in general I don't know anything past the first act. I think if I did I'd really be jonesing for the movie.

It'll be here soon. In one way or another I think we're all gonna see it this year.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 pm

It's not a dickish move by Khara even if it really really REALLY feels that way. Only the biggest of huge Hollywood blockbusters get same day international releases and even then certain countries like GP said, still wait a while after everyone else. It's just a draconian system that even the West hasn't shelved yet despite globalization being far bigger now than ever before. Unfortunately for everyone outside of Japan, Khara seems uninterested in anything other than hitting their 10 billion goal right now.

But let's all be real here, Khara would've hit 10 billion by now if they released the movie overseas and added the international box office total to their domestic one.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It'll be here soon. In one way or another I think we're all gonna see it this year.

I'll believe that when I see the official release date from a reliable source at this rate. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the fans get trolled and have to wait for a whole year after its original release in Japan. Mind you I don't think that'll happen but if it does end up happening I reserve my right to yell, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Right, forgot about that. Shit man, when is the entertainment industry going to catch up with the modern world and just do simultaneous international releases of everything? I highly doubt traditional theaters will ever properly recover from the social effects of da varus, and yeah streaming makes things easier to pirate, but giant companies with hundreds of millions of fans shouldn't worry like Toho does. But at this point we're just gonna go in circles with the whole streaming argument again. EVA forums are a story that repeats lol
View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:
View Original PostGendo'sPapa#925326 wrote:It'll be here soon. In one way or another I think we're all gonna see it this year.

I'll believe that when I see the official release date from a reliable source at this rate. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the fans get trolled and have to wait for a whole year after its original release in Japan. Mind you I don't think that'll happen but if it does end up happening I reserve my right to yell, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" xD

Unfortunately this could very well happen. I saw copies of fuckimation's BD release of EVA 3.33 back in stock at my local Target just a couple weeks ago, so they likely still hold some rights, and I'd be surprised if a competent dubbing company [plsGkidsplsGkidsplsGkids] got the rights before fucki. Then again, the original 3.0 dub was a fuckin disaster, so I doubt Khara and Toho would be eager to sell fucki the US distribution rights again. It's all such a mess, man, I feel like Fuyutsuki looking out over the result of the aborted 4th Impact at the end of 3.0
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:36 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Unfortunately this could very well happen. I saw copies of fuckimation's BD release of EVA 3.33 back in stock at my local Target just a couple weeks ago, so they likely still hold some rights, and I'd be surprised if a competent dubbing company [plsGkidsplsGkidsplsGkids] got the rights before fucki. Then again, the original 3.0 dub was a fuckin disaster, so I doubt Khara and Toho would be eager to sell fucki the US distribution rights again. It's all such a mess, man, I feel like Fuyutsuki looking out over the result of the aborted 4th Impact at the end of 3.0

I too feel like Fuyutsuki at times whenever I'm playing a multiplayer match in Halo or something and I'm the only one trying to flank the guy with the sniper rifle/playing smart. I'm screaming at my TV half the time, "WHAT THE FAK IS WRONG WITH YOU IDIOTS, GO AROUND THE GUY TO GET BEHIND HIM-NO STAHP RUSHING THE OTHER TEA-oh look we lost OTL" xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:02 am

WHAT???

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 am

Praised be Lilith!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 am

The rest of the Rebuilds will also be available! I wonder if they’re all dubbed??

Who cares?? It’s HAPPENING!!!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:13 am

YESSSSSSSS!!!
It's reality!!!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am

Note: not in Japan.

As the announcement is dated 2 July, presumably the Amazon announcement link will come live at midnight in the UK (as it's an "amazonuk" url), which will presumably have a list of countries.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:30 am

Holy shit it happened

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:40 am

I'm sad I'll never get to be amazed watching in IMAX. I'm concerned this could make a Blu-ray release outside Japan unlikely to happen or at least years off now.

But goddamn am I ready to see this fucking movie! Already scheduled to take the day off work!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am

SPOILER: Show

I can't describe how I'm feeling right now... Damn!
VENCEMOS!!! lol
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am

Ok but where's my Blu-ray? Streaming bitrate is still utter trash compared to physical media.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:43 am

:gendo_yay: IT'S HAPPENING

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:44 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm sad I'll never get to be amazed watching in IMAX. I'm concerned this could make a Blu-ray release outside Japan unlikely to happen or at least years off now.

Trust in GKIDS. I'm sure they'll announce a thing in 2022-2023 or something.

After the 3-year wait that was Funimation's 3.33 release, I'm ready for anything.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:45 am

I've been saying we'd get an announcement in July for months now. Can't wait to see the movie finally.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”