Is Eva 3.0 the most hated Evangelion film thus far?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Is Eva 3.0 the most hated Evangelion film thus far?

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 pm

I've practically seen loads of negative feelings towards it compared to the 1st two rebuild films, and i can't remember the last time seeing something Eva related get as much polarization as Q has been getting (maybe EoE initially??).

I also often wonder how Anno feels with the reception Q has gotten after release.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 am

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14989/In-regards-to-all-the-hate-and-issues-with-30-here/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is Eva 3.0 the most hated Evangelion film thus far?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:I also often wonder how Anno feels with the reception Q has gotten after release.
For the general response to Q, I would imagine that "Everything is proceeding according to the scenario."

By contrast with the sheer level of hate 2.0 got here, Q seemed immediately well accepted in comparison; that the light and fluffy episode caused the polarization might have caused him some amusement were he ever aware of it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:51 am

I'm not sure if Q is the most hated of them all; that is quite hard to determine. I remember the second getting quite a bit of hate too.

I will say this, as a Rebuild fan who even considers aspects of rebuild to better the original, that the hate Rebuild gets generally isnt unique to the Evangelion world, if Eva was a mediocre series then remaking it as films would have been much more accepted. However it isnt, it's considered one of the greatest anime of all, and that's the tricky bit - how does one improve on something considered flawless by many people?

Really you can't, at least on a personal level, objectively maybe but there are some that will always hate on Rebuild due to the fact it's new, and changing aspects of their beloved anime. Don't get me wrong critical assessment is a great thing but I can't help but think if the films came first and the series was now developing based on said films, people would start complaining about how the series is "ruining teh films1111!!!!!". For some reason in our society new things are frowned upon while antiquity is praised, without really questioning why.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 am

The people who "hated" the second movie did so mostly because they expected a lot of character development. That's not something you can expect from a movie.

And we end up with a third movie devoid of any character development, but I don't really see people burning witches because of that. So it was a bit hypocritical back then...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:22 am

View Original PostMadonna wrote:Don't get me wrong critical assessment is a great thing but I can't help but think if the films came first and the series was now developing based on said films, people would start complaining about how the series is "ruining teh films1111!!!!!".

If the films had come first, you would literally not have the same product. The entire premise and setup would have been built from the ground up for the film medium. Rebuild retains far too many of the trappings of its predecessor to ignore -- it does not and cannot pretend to be a truly atomistic work, grown in some vat in a pocket dimension where the original never happened. We can't run this experiment even theoretically without ignoring cause-and-effect.

Well, actually, we sorta can. The appropriate analog would be to show NGE to people who had only seen the films first. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to look at everyone's reaction or just the reactions of people who liked the films in that case.

Jinroh wrote:And we end up with a third movie devoid of any character development, but I don't really see people burning witches because of that. So it was a bit hypocritical back then...

It's not hypocritical at all; it makes perfect sense to dislike product X because it lacks element A but like product Y which also lacks element A because it has element B instead. And people cannot be expected to exhaustively list everything a work lacks which could have turned their opinion on it around, because that list is unknowable practically by definition and theoretically infinite. What they can say is "I disliked product X because it lacked element A" with the ever-present implicit caveat "and anything that could have made up for it".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:35 am

here in Spain people completely HATE 3.0 (not me ) but they love 2.0 & 1.0 ... the funny thing comes when i ask them how many times have seen 3.0 and they tell me "just one or two times" :um: that makes me think they didnt understand too much and that´s why they hate it.

1.0 and 2.0 had NGE (serie) to understand the story but when you give something completely unknown to the public (like 3.0) they are going to hate it because they only watches 1 time and they dont understand anything.

(sorry for my bad english :um: )

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:I also often wonder how Anno feels with the reception Q has gotten after release.

Anno knows that Q is hated, and as Tines said, it's most likely is going according to his plans. He manipulates peoples emotions like puppet.

here in Spain people completely HATE 3.0 (not me ) but they love 2.0 & 1.0.

Don't care about them. They just [s]are noobs[/s] have different taste. :tongue:

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 am

View Original PostCorpex wrote:the funny thing comes when i ask them how many times have seen 3.0 and they tell me "just one or two times" :um: that makes me think they didnt understand too much and that´s why they hate it.

In their defense, even if "Evangelion" is in the name of a movie, the movie's quality isn't being done justice if a massive number of people have to watch it again just to understand it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:For the general response to Q, I would imagine that "Everything is proceeding according to the scenario."

By contrast with the sheer level of hate 2.0 got here, Q seemed immediately well accepted in comparison; that the light and fluffy episode caused the polarization might have caused him some amusement were he ever aware of it.

Woah what? I never knew this, i always thought people loved 2.0 given how positive it's reception was upon 2.22's debut, compared to Q where it was initially mixed but then slumped to slightly negative after a few months passed once 3.33 was available online.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:Woah what? I never knew this, i always thought people loved 2.0 given how positive it's reception was upon 2.22's debut, compared to Q where it was initially mixed but then slumped to slightly negative after a few months passed once 3.33 was available online.

Casual fans loved 2.0 and praised it a lot. In here, Evageeks there was.......So much hate....
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:In their defense, even if "Evangelion" is in the name of a movie, the movie's quality isn't being done justice if a massive number of people have to watch it again just to understand it.

well, i think the FACT you must watch the film a lot of times to appreciate all details and to understand what is going on (include searching info on forums) is what make 3.0 (and evangelion in general) so special.

3.0 is not made for "a massive number of people" i think, only for "true fans" (people who is going to worry about what is happening, and dont care about rewatch it to understand it)
Last edited by Corpex on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 am

View Original PostCorpex wrote:well, i think the FACT you must watch the film a lot of times to appreciate all details and to understand what is going on (include searching info on forums) is what make RoE so special.
The problem is that some people are really lazy to bother to watching it again.

Another problem is the fact people might feel uneasy after watching 3.0, and thus, they don't want to watch it again.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Casual fans loved 2.0 and praised it a lot. In here, Evageeks there was.......So much hate....

:bigeyes:......Do you have a link for 2.0's hate by any chance?

It's rather interesting, could half (or most) of 3.0's backlash come from the casuals who expected more of the tone that 2.0 set up upon?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:59 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote::bigeyes:......Do you have a link for 2.0's hate by any chance?

Well.....
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/11561/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-1/?[/url] :faint:

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/7773/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here/[/url]

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9781/Shinjis-portrayal-in-Eva-20-222/[/url]

Here is few.
View Original PostWunderBah wrote:It's rather interesting, could half (or most) of 3.0's backlash come from the casuals who expected more of the tone that 2.0 set up upon?
Possibly that, and the fact that preview "lied." Plus, plot made no sense to them.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 am

Jesus, my ears were ringing like mad.

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:It's rather interesting, could half (or most) of 3.0's backlash come from the casuals who expected more of the tone that 2.0 set up upon?

I suppose it would be unseemly of me to protest being implied a "casual" given how often I've used the term in video game fandom.

While pointing out sources of anger, I'd just throw out that a substantial part of the complaints I've seen comes from the gaping holes, legitimate or perceived, in the story. A fourteen year gap with what I'd argue doesn't even constitute the bare minimum of exposition, more unanswered questions without providing practically any answers to preexisting questions, and what many feel is illogical or otherwise out of character actions and reactions from the cast, I'd say I've seen more complaints about those than I have the change in tone.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:
While pointing out sources of anger, I'd just throw out that a substantial part of the complaints I've seen comes from the gaping holes, legitimate or perceived, in the story.

maybe Anno wants to come back to old times? making us ignore how everything started and how is going to end like in NGE (serie) uhhmm :um:

That was a charasteristic feeling of Evangelion that many people can hate (specially casual/noob viewers)

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't see how we are supposed to understand the movie better by watching it multiple times?

Nearly all the answers are linked to events happening during the time gap. You can watch the movie as many times as you want, if things aren't explained, you're aren't going to understand them more.

At the end of the movie you don't know what the impact was for, you don't understand what that weird black moon is, you don't know what Eva-13 is, you don't understand what happened to the landscape and who is alive/dead, what happened with Lilith and the FOIs, you don't understand what mark 9 and the Wunder really are, etc.

I really don't see how watching the movie multiple times is going to help. At the end you just don't know wtf happened and why nothing is explained to the public.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm

And yet many people have been able to get it more sorted in their mind after multiple viewings.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 pm

View Original PostCorpex wrote:well, i think the FACT you must watch the film a lot of times to appreciate all details and to understand what is going on (include searching info on forums) is what make 3.0 (and evangelion in general) so special.

3.0 is not made for "a massive number of people" i think, only for "true fans" (people who is going to worry about what is happening, and dont care about rewatch it to understand it)

Except that defeats the whole point of "dumbing down" Rebuild in the first place. Why bother making it accessible to new comers if you're not going to do just that? Rebuild is meant to be watched with all four movies to get the experience, but if you're constantly leaving stuff to be analyzed and speculated on by die hard fans, and referring people to outside the movies, you're just giving the middle finger to those who aren't die hard fans.

And that's the problem with 3.0, it isn't supposed to be just for the fans who care more than the average viewer. If it was, it would have had much more details that were from NGE or be filled with even more speculative ideas. You can't excuse bad story telling on saying you have to watch it more than once because you come across not caring about the average viewer.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”