Evangelion 1.11 Aired on Toonami March 16

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 am

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:I'm watching it and it's on a commercial break now. I should mention that this is my first time watching Rebuild. I was waiting for them all to be in English but, hey it's on so i'll watch it.

Yeah, watching 1.11 on American television as your first time may not have been the best idea. The censorship would really bother me since I'm used to the full version. Not to mention the commercials....
Evafacepalm wrote:I was waiting for them all to be in English but, hey it's on so i'll watch it.

How in the hell have you held out this long?!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 am

I wonder if they bother showing the preview? I mean that would make it seem like they'd air it at some point.

dfer131
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dfer131 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 am

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:I wonder if they bother showing the preview? I mean that would make it seem like they'd air it at some point.

The preview for what exactly? (Sorry if the questions stupid. I'm sleep deprived waiting for this to come on.)
"Are any of us only Saints or Sinners?"

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 am

2.22. Which they didn't.

I hope they do, I wanna see how they'd handle Mari's "POINTBLANK, SHITHEAD!" if anything.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 am

Oh they cut out the 2.0 preview

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:26 am

The changing scene was obviously visually censored, but was there any dialogue removed from the film?
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 am

They aired all of the credits, barring the (albeit inaccurate) You Can (Not) Advance preview. This seemed to do very well as far as ratings are concerned, judging from the voluminous (especially for one in the morning) social media output. I'll bet that 2.22 will be aired sometime in the not-so-distant future.
Do a barrel roll!

Nando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nando » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 am

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:2.22. Which they didn't.

I hope they do, I wanna see how they'd handle Mari's "POINTBLANK, SHITHEAD!" if anything.

If they do ever air 2.22 I imagine Mari's swearing will merely be bleeped. Some episodes of Durarara!! had fairly intense swearing that was dealt with in such a way, such as one early episode where a character's entire section of dialogue was bleeped, resulting in him visually moving his mouth but no words ever being heard.

As for tonight, I'll be honest, I enjoyed it. Putting aside all issues with dubs (which doesn't bother me, because I personally like Rebuild's dub) and edits, it was nice to have Eva on TV for a night.

EDIT:

They aired all of the credits, barring the (albeit inaccurate) You Can (Not) Advance preview. This seemed to do very well as far as ratings are concerned, judging from the voluminous (especially for one in the morning) social media output. I'll bet that 2.22 will be aired sometime in the not-so-distant future.

I just want to say that I really would like to see viewership numbers on this when they come out. I would be happy to see it do well.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:41 am

Yeah, 2.22 would be cool. Who knows? Maybe they'll marathon the series over two nights or something now that Evangelion's back on air. The changing scene censoring still bothers me, why did they have to do it in such an obvious way? They could have just changed the lighting and blurred it. But no they had to do that weird shadow puppet wall thing and make it as obvious as possible.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

dfer131
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dfer131 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:43 am

Was the censoring really that bad?

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48 am

I can't speak for dialogue, as this was my first viewing, but there was a really obvious visual censoring of one scene with a nude Rei. I leave the question of dialogue censoring to the experts.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 am

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Yeah, 2.22 would be cool. Who knows? Maybe they'll marathon the series over two nights or something now that Evangelion's back on air. The changing scene censoring still bothers me, why did they have to do it in such an obvious way? They could have just changed the lighting and blurred it. But no they had to do that weird shadow puppet wall thing and make it as obvious as possible.

I don't understand why your waiting for every single rebuild film to come out (and even waiting for the english dub for them) before even watching one of the films. The best part of rebuild for me is sitting on each individual film and thinking about & talking about what I saw before the next film is released. Speculation and interpretation are wonderful things ya' know

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 am

View Original Postdfer131 wrote:Was the censoring really that bad?

In my opinion, people are overreacting just a tad. No censorship would be best, but realize that this is still cable television we're talking about.
Last edited by JB2448 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do a barrel roll!

dfer131
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dfer131 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 am

View Original PostJB2448 wrote:In my opinion, people are overreacting just a tad. No censorship would be best, but realize that this is still cable television we're talking about.

True, though apparently they could have handled it better. 10 minuets left.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 am

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:But no they had to do that weird shadow puppet wall thing
No, that's really in the movie. But they cut a lengthy shot later on in which Rei is more exposed.

They edited the scene in Rei's apartment a bit too, though not as noticeably.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:30 am

Believe it or not, I found out about this the DAY BEFORE they aired the film, so I was a bit excited to finally have Evangelion on Toonami! ... again.
But since I have the Blu-ray of this film already and had seen it a few times, I didn't bother seeing this again... but had generously left the cable box on over the night just for the sake of support. We need more Anime films on Toonami's Adult Swim!
And also, Happy B-Day, Toonami!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 am

I got as far Gendo talking to SEELE before I decided I was too tired to watch something I already have on BD on 1am. How did they handle Rei's tits? Did they block it off? Did they erase them? Or did they just cut the scene?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:How did they handle Rei's tits? Did they block it off? Did they erase them? Or did they just cut the scene?

In the first nude encounter, after Shinji cops one, they immediately cut to Rei buttoning her shirt.
In the second nude scene, they either showed her silhouette or cut to her face the whole time.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:How did they handle Rei's tits?
There are so many jokes I could potentially make here I just can't decide.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:There are so many jokes I could potentially make here I just can't decide.

Great, now I'm thinking about it too. And silently laughing my ass off.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”